ABB Employee Reviews

Productive and great team work
Projects (Former Employee) –  City of Johannesburg, Gauteng13 November 2017
A TYPICAL DAY AT WORK
The days are very busy, starting with a meeting most times and carry on with day to day operations. A lot of liaison with Engineers and Project Managers. Lots of internal communication via email, phone or in person.

WHAT I LEARNED
I started my finance career at ABB and for the 8 years I was there, I learnt so much starting from a debit and credit to working with all the accounting tools. I learnt how a business system work as I worked in business. I learnt leadership skills and I partook in a lot of inhouse courses like advanced excel, SAP superuser, Project Management.

MANAGEMENT
The management at ABB was bottom-up management. Employees contributed a lot to Management decision in a lot of ways and it was great to be part of most decisions.

WORK CULTURE
Relaxed work environment. Honest and integrity being the core.

THE HARDEST PART OF MY JOB
Working very long hours to get the work done and reports on time. I worked on a very high volume Business unit

BEST PART OF MY JOB
I enjoyed every bit of my job, taking decisions and making all necessary recommendations. Just taking charge of my area of work and being trusted enough to handle it all by myself and worked with a great team that made my job so easy and enjoyable
Pros
Medical aid, Pension and Provident fund
Innovative and speed
HR Compensation and Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng14 September 2017
A committed and proactive professional who enjoys being an HR rounder in the use of embedded skills and knowledge. Quick to assimilate new ideas, concepts whilst demonstrating a logical and analytical approach to solving complex problems and issues. Able to work well on own initiative while demonstrating the organisation and prioritisation required to achieve tight deadlines and deliverables. A motivational and inspirational professional who enjoys being part of a successful and productive team, and thrives in highly pressurised and challenging working environments.
typical example of a good and productive workplace
control and instrumentation QA/QC (Former Employee) –  Witbank, Mpumalanga10 September 2017
waking up in the mornings and getting ready for has never been a hesitation to me.Doing what i love and having a deep passion for for it just make my job more easier and consequently simplifies my life. Being a quality controller/ quality assurance is a previlage to me as we have guides such as specifications to follow when conducting inspections, drawings to refer from and assuring that everything is done as per specs and procedures as well as keeping record and delivering on time and avoiding re-works for cost reduction.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
overtime
Wealth of knowledge
Senior Proposals Engineer (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng1 September 2017
ABB has a wide offering of products and offering and is great company to work for and grow in.
The are bursary opportunities and mentor-ship. The environment is work intensive bur overall friendly
Pros
Wealth of knowledge
Cons
A culture of Restructuring
Contracts Manager and/or Contracts Administrator
Contracts Administrator (Current Employee) –  Witbank, Mpumalanga30 August 2017
My key responsibilities are from Pre-contract; Contract and Post contract stage. In brief during the Pre-contract satge: Procurement and this include deciding on procurement strategies; Solicit tender offers; Evaluate tender offers and last award the contract. Contract stage: Administer contratcs in accordance with its terms & conditions within the agreed time frame; Manage formal governance of the contract which include change control, cost monitoring, payment procedures & approvals and management reporting. Post contract: Ensuring that what has been agreed upon is delivered to appropriate quality standards; Making sure that any defects has been rectified and a proper close out report is submitted to the Client and all the Guarantees or insurances returned to the Contractor or Consultant.

Contracts Management/Administration, as opposed to the Project Management is solely focused around the protection of each party's rights under the Contract, and the maintenance of a fair and balanced position at all times through the progress of the project. Therefore, the importance of Contracts Administration to the success of the Contract, and to the relationship between the Contractor or Consultant and the Employer should not be underestimated. I liaise with Area Project Managers; Senior Project Engineers; Procurement Manager/ Superintendent; Contractors or Consultants.
Clerical Official
Clerical Official (Former Employee) –  Singapore28 August 2017
Nice workplace,worked with engineers doing printouts and display changes,diferent culture in Singapore,difficult to stay with changes made by engineers
Pros
Salary
Cons
Language
Stressfull
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Long Meadow1 June 2017
Stress full, but fun.
Yearly retrenchments
Regular changing of managers, roles and responsibilities.
Excellent with anti-corruption/bribery policies
Global company room to move
Pros
Global Company
Cons
Regular retrenchments
Great company to work for
HR Director (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg North, Gauteng19 May 2017
Great international company to work for with great benefits and in those years there was strong management in place that made good decisions. There were opportunities for people to grow in their jobs and travel overseas to gain training and development
employees work closely together like a family
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape30 March 2017
You meet and with with new and international customers virtually on a weekly basis. The company offers excellent growth opportunities for all its employees.
They also train electrical and mechanical apprentices.
stepping stone
Power System (Assistant Project Administrator) (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng1 March 2017
Updating and data capturing of employee details, medical aid, education, personal details, work history and reference.
I've learned to use SAP and Syspro.
The working environment was a healthy and people were friendly and helpful.
The our contract will end soon and knowing that the company will restructure.
As it was my first job, learning was exciting and innovative.
Excelente
PRACTI (Former Employee) –  PE27 January 2017
Buen ambiente de trabajo, excelente personal altamente capacitado.
Big Corporate
Senior Business Consultant (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg South, Gauteng10 January 2017
Good work environment, lots of travel, great people to work with.
would work here again, have to move to be with family.

Salary competitive, top management globally has no connection with day to day operations.
Business focused.
Contracts Administrator (Former Employee) –  Modderfontein, Gauteng6 January 2017
I got into work and checked my e-mails and followed up on the previous days' queries and fone calls.
Then tackled the current days quotes, orders and invoicing.
I learned how to work proactively. Also, a little bit about the nature of the automation processes and the business.
My co-workers were good people to work with.
The hardest part of my job was leaving.
I enjoyed the e-learning and live courses. Also interacting with customers face-to-face and solving problems.
Pros
e-learning courses
Creditors Position
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Modderfontein, Gauteng4 January 2017
Preparing of recons. Processing of Invoices. Processing of credit notes. Loading payments on the bank. Resolving of queries arising from the recons. Requesting of outstanding invoices and credit notes.
Pros
Global company
Work was fine
Assistance boiler maker (Former Employee) –  Nigel, Gauteng19 December 2016
Working there was fine. I was willing to work overtime when they requested me to work late. The safety is poor because they do not have safety offices.
Pros
Salary on time
Cons
Short notice overtime
productive and room for improvement
Vertical boring mill ,turnig (Former Employee) –  Alberton7 December 2016
Due to labour consultant we lost our jobs and too proctactive to permanent staff have to consider trainees no eniative for reached targets need to co operate with team work
Pros
only for staff members
Cons
allowed to reach dead ends
Productive and Fun
Electrical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Modderfontein, Gauteng10 November 2016
Understanding of health and safety regulations

Performing quality checks of AVR panel and electrical duties.

Terminating fiber optics and agnet cables for the AVR panels.

Help with factory test acceptance, installation on site (at Eskom power stations).
Pros
Free Training
Cons
No delegation
when working with the team understanding the goal to be achieved.
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg South, Gauteng18 October 2016
Normal day
Everyday I learn new things and challenges
The management is very supportive
The co-workers are easy to work with
The hardest part of the job is when dealing with difficult customers
The most enjoyable part of the job is when giving a technical solution to the client.
Pros
Lunch subsidy
Cons
productive fun to work in
electrician assistant (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng1 September 2016
The staff was good
Was working as a electrical assistant, my duties where point to point test using a multimeter on unigear control panels, fault finding, wiring voltage transformers and current transformers.
Pros
good working conditions
Cons
less payment
Enjoying and fun
Desktop Support (Former Employee) –  Gauteng18 August 2016
Work for abb is fun and you will enjouy working with people and around people. I have also learn to work under priger and understanding deferance type of people.
Pros
Launch
Cons
Normal hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ABB. Our community is ready to answer.

4,1