Anglo American Employee Reviews

a home away from home workplace
Communications Officer Operations (Former Employee) –  Rustenburg, North West8 February 2018
A typical home away from home workplace. A place where you missed being at when you away on leave. the values and culture resonated with ones values, one could not detach work from personal. The environment was happy and conducive for development.
Pros
free lunch, free cellphones, free accommodation, career advancement
Cons
Challenging and exciting place to be
Chemistry and metallurgy trainee (Former Employee) –  North West7 February 2018
After every three months there used to be a shut down in the plant to overview everything, service machinery. As a trainee i was required to partake in that, help clean the plant in and out as there would be inspectors so had to do our level best to ensure everything ran smoothly. At times we would go inside machines and clean them, I'd fear that as i thought they would just run even with them off. I had to climb up the stairs go to the top level to observe if things are in order and i am afraid of heights so had to just so i could get the job done. But with that after a while i got used to the heights. The management was doing well, treated us with respect and ensured that we learn almost everything. They would even ask us to shadow them if they were not too busy. The hardest part of the job was projects we would be given, with some people refusing to assist us when we asked questions. The one thing i enjoyed about working there was the people we worked with, most of them were good people. I never felt like a trainee as at times i was required to give instruction to elderly people they would do the job without hesitation.
Pros
Incentive for free injury days
Cons
Best company in the world
Buyer / Senior Buyer (Former Employee) –  SOUTH AFRICA4 February 2018
Purchasing for mines all over south africa
That racism is cruel and should not exist
Great management. Solid staff accuracy and importance of transactions
Good canteen and flexitime
Pros
Free luches and bonusses
Cons
Far from home - traveled by train every day
Very good company to work for
Iron Ore channel coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saldanha, Western Cape28 January 2018
Anglo-American is a good company to work for. They are concerned about employees and it was a pleasure to work for them.

They strive for excellence and there is a great team spirit. Everyone is committed to doing their best for the organization.

Putting in extra hours was not a hassle as I would do it wholeheartedly to get the job done.
Surveyor Technician (Former Employee) –  Swartklip, Limpopo14 January 2018
Its great company with rich culture of health and safety, there's development of employees, managers support their juniors to get experience and encourage people to develop themselves
Pros
Free mageu
Cons
45 hours per week
Fun workpalce
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng11 January 2018
Am a hard worker i can even work at any conditions and take over time jobs am health. Am a fun person who like to make joks and i love playing soccer that keeps me fet
Pros
my lunch box
na
Environmental Scientist (contractor) (Former Employee) –  City of Johannesburg, Gauteng7 January 2018
good company, great culture, opportunity to advance, nice work place, international travel, opportunity to advance, diverse working experience, repeat
Pros
na
Cons
na
Sydney Sebata's experience at AAP
Mechanical Engineering Apprentice- Rigger (Former Employee) –  Rustenburg, Gauteng3 January 2018
Good environment, experienced and lively people in the field, low pay but a bit better once you are qualified. Other things like recklessness, carelessness, ignorance and other bad traits that I experienced over the years I worked there are part of life and I believe we get them everywhere.
Pros
Care for employees from business model and corporate social responsibilty, e.g) Medical, Allowances
Cons
Depends on our job description. I have nothing to complain about for the training I got.
Anglo American is an exciting company to work for
HRD Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Thabazimbi, Limpopo28 December 2017
I am passionate about developing people. What is most rewarding is getting recognition and being thanked by the learners ins person for guiding and supporting them towards achieving their goals.
Pros
Annual incentives
Cons
Huge inbalance in incentives being paid out annually
Internal Audit Manager
Audit Manager (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg South, Gauteng26 December 2017
Beautiful company, professional, adequately resourced, there are always willing to help. The only problem is the job insecurity, retrenchments make the place unbearable, otherwise a very progressive company.
rock drill operator (Current Employee) –  Burgersfort, Limpopo19 December 2017
Anglo American Platinum is the one of the company that put the safety of the employees first. what I learned about it is the company that develop the of their employees.
Pros
Own lunch
Cons
8 hours
At Anglo we are brother and sister's keeper and safety begins with you.
HOD Secretary (Current Employee) –  Mpumalanga13 December 2017
Respect and collaboration is the order of the day not forgetting working safely as the highest priority at Anglo Mines. A place to call home away from home.
Pros
Free lucnh, bottled water and snacks
Cons
People gaining weight
Anglo American GSS
Accounts Administrator (Current Employee) –  Witbank, Mpumalanga6 December 2017
Its a awesome place to work for, would not like to apply for another job, but I do not have a choice, I really breaks my heart for not being able to continue with Anglo American GSS
rock drill operator (Current Employee) –  Limpopo Burgersfort4 December 2017
I work at Twickenham mine at Limpopo. We're currently under care and maintainence due to the financial constraints. However we are busy with the development and research whereby we are testing a new technology machines mostly from Switzerland.
Pros
Have own lunch
Cons
8hours
Productive and enjoyable workplace
HRD Data Capture (Former Employee) –  Limpopo28 November 2017
My day at work was a stress free and enjoyable.
I have learned to work with different people of different culture with different attitude an d personality.
Working with a difficult client whereby sometimes you don't even know what to do.
The team in the HRD were very supportive one injury , injury for all.
I enjoyed reaching my daily target.
Cons
Normal Working hours
A company that is passionate about people development
SHEQ Manager (Former Employee) –  Rustenburg, North West10 November 2017
A highly qualified Management teams with a lot of foresight/vision. All the working areas are such a pleasure to work at. Can be very stressful at times especially during the silly season when the DMR inspectors frequently visit the Mines.
Pros
Proper career advancement institution
Cons
Long and hard working hours
Learning culture and protective environment
Coal Processing Plant Engineer (Former Employee) –  Goedehoop Volliery9 November 2017
Perfect place for person seeking t relax and end career. More of a relaxed environment and bureaucracy and red tape makes it difficult to operate if one enjoys being an entrepreneurial leader
Pros
Lack of entrepreneurial support and bureaucracy
Cons
Employee support and job security
My latest work place
Time Administrator (Former Employee) –  Thabazimbi, Limpopo3 November 2017
A typical day for me at work was going to work at 7:30. Having a nice cup off coffee with my friends. I had a good relationship with everyone, people new when there time sheets was with me they would get paid even at the last minute i would help people because i knew how important there money were 2 them.

In all my years working in Anglo American i have learned to really listen and help people.

I had 2 manage all my different types of work load and 2 do it accordingly i always had a system 2 make my job easy so i dint make mistakes....check, check and double check because after all this was people money i was working with.

The culture in my workplace was what made going 2 work nice every day. Everybody had respect for each other and when there was a problem among us it would be talked out in a respective manner.

The hardest part of my job i would say was the impatient employees. And yes i would also calm them down and try 2 explain the situation 2 them. whatever it was that was bothering them.

The part that i enjoyed the mos was when everyone would get there payslips at the end of the month. And then everything was 100% . There were never any pay queries and this made me happy because we worked together as a team...
Pros
Nice People
Cons
nothing
productive and nice to work for
Senior Occupational health nurse (Former Employee) –  Mpumalanga, KwaZulu-Natal3 November 2017
Nice place to work in. Working 8hours.Working under supervision of Sr and I was her Deputy(right hand).We report to the dr.We do internal as well as DMR and Cohsasa audits
Pros
order everything on cost codes
Cons
8hour shift
Preferred choice of employment
PRINCIPAL ROCK ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng24 October 2017
Anglo American is a top tier company that wants to make money yet research possibilities and also care for its employees.

Meet to get daily feedback from previous shifts and prioritise tasks if necessary. Attend management or safety meeting and do planned underground visits when required.

Challenges included monitoring working places for high risks and mentoring and coaching teams to understand the risks involved in specific tasks that may be hazardous if not correctly identified ahead of the task.