Anglo American Employee Reviews

Learning culture and protective environment
Coal Processing Plant Engineer (Former Employee) –  Goedehoop Volliery9 November 2017
Perfect place for person seeking t relax and end career. More of a relaxed environment and bureaucracy and red tape makes it difficult to operate if one enjoys being an entrepreneurial leader
Pros
Lack of entrepreneurial support and bureaucracy
Cons
Employee support and job security
My latest work place
Time Administrator (Former Employee) –  Thabazimbi, Limpopo3 November 2017
A typical day for me at work was going to work at 7:30. Having a nice cup off coffee with my friends. I had a good relationship with everyone, people new when there time sheets was with me they would get paid even at the last minute i would help people because i knew how important there money were 2 them.

In all my years working in Anglo American i have learned to really listen and help people.

I had 2 manage all my different types of work load and 2 do it accordingly i always had a system 2 make my job easy so i dint make mistakes....check, check and double check because after all this was people money i was working with.

The culture in my workplace was what made going 2 work nice every day. Everybody had respect for each other and when there was a problem among us it would be talked out in a respective manner.

The hardest part of my job i would say was the impatient employees. And yes i would also calm them down and try 2 explain the situation 2 them. whatever it was that was bothering them.

The part that i enjoyed the mos was when everyone would get there payslips at the end of the month. And then everything was 100% . There were never any pay queries and this made me happy because we worked together as a team...
Pros
Nice People
Cons
nothing
productive and nice to work for
Senior Occupational health nurse (Former Employee) –  Mpumalanga, KwaZulu-Natal3 November 2017
Nice place to work in. Working 8hours.Working under supervision of Sr and I was her Deputy(right hand).We report to the dr.We do internal as well as DMR and Cohsasa audits
Pros
order everything on cost codes
Cons
8hour shift
Preferred choice of employment
PRINCIPAL ROCK ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng24 October 2017
Anglo American is a top tier company that wants to make money yet research possibilities and also care for its employees.

Meet to get daily feedback from previous shifts and prioritise tasks if necessary. Attend management or safety meeting and do planned underground visits when required.

Challenges included monitoring working places for high risks and mentoring and coaching teams to understand the risks involved in specific tasks that may be hazardous if not correctly identified ahead of the task.
Professionally fulfilling
Project Engineering Consultant (Former Employee) –  Mines located around Rustenburg and Polokwane18 October 2017
A greaat platform for professional career development using world class standards and methodologies. Motivated multi disciplinary teams would work on between 2 to 3 projects simultaneously, each with a defined budget and timeline. Emphasis on autonomous responsibility however with essential upward communication with the Project Director.
The challenging part of the job was to try and ascertain early enough any potential risks the project might face and take timeous action to avert or ameliorate such risk.
The most enjoyable aspect is the realization of a concept into a fully operational plant and the start of production.
Typical day
Project Geologist (Former Employee) –  South Africa15 October 2017
In the morning i first check emails for important message and notices. Then go to site to check on drilling crew and have weekly safety meeting. Checking core recovery using geophysics or determining structural orientation from diamond core. Checking if the other Geologist logged correctly form the chip cutting. Using aeromagnetic data, soil samples for planing new target sites for drilling. Working out a drilling program for different rigs such as RC, Diamond, Air flush core so that cost can be minimize.

Developing geological data base and design 3D paper model of deposit then do a soft copy model. Training young Geologist in the field.
Submission to government of Green House Gaseous (GHG) to prevent any potential fatalities.
Pros
Always inspiring and developing others to unexpected heights
Cons
Remote places of work
anglo American
Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  durban14 October 2017
The company is doggy they do Not act according to their contract. I left Cause i was Not getting paid accordingly. But i gained out bound experience.
Pros
N/a
Cons
long hours no pay
Very productive
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Limpopo29 September 2017
I've had good time working for this company and it has been an awesome time.im able to provide for my family, but I'm still to grow with in the company maybe to a higher position than I am right now.
Pros
Yes we do get free lunches
Cons
Long hours are considered as overtime
productive, job creating company
Expeditor (Former Employee) –  Swartklip, Limpopo20 September 2017
You will never go home for no proper reason, management and hod cares for everyone. The culture is respected and they develop their employers. Good company after all
Pros
safety and motivational packs, monthly and kpi bonuses
Cons
absentism
Pipe tracks and ventilation (Former Employee) –  South Africa19 September 2017
I'm working at Twickenham mine as pipe tracks and ventilation /pump attendant and artisan assistant Anglo American it's good company give us free lunch
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Health care

Want to know more about Anglo American?

Ask a question
Hard working and safe working environment
Operator haul truck (Current Employee) –  Kathu, Northern Cape17 September 2017
Putting safety of their workers first it's their number one priority. They always keep their promises while it comes to their employees, healthy working environment as well.
What i learned
Lab supervisor (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg South, Gauteng12 September 2017
I joined Anglo Research laboratory in 26 June 2000 and I was fresh from varsity with no experience and had to learn to apply all that I had learned from theory to practical and that was the hardest, but met and worked with professional people and taught me very well and now I can work anywhere with the experience that I have.
Pros
Picnics
Cons
l can work under production pressure ,safe and dedicated to my job.
mechanical fitter (Current Employee) –  Witbank, Mpumalanga9 September 2017
Enjoy working with hands,crew,travelling,extra miles,dignity,and will to help innovations able to give other fellow works a new idea or tricks(plans).
Pros
at my leisure time
Cons
always avaible
Good culture
Instrumentation Technician (Former Employee) –  Mogalakwena, Limpopo30 August 2017
Working for Anglo American was challenging and fun would recomment them to anybody although its hard work and long hours but at the end of the day its more than just worth it.
Pros
Free meat and cold drinks
Cons
Health care
productive and save producers
Blasting assistance (Former Employee) –  limpopo29 August 2017
Improve material that makes the work place safe especially for the material that is Woking underground for workers to achieve zero harm and accident free mine because that millistone is achiveble if we have a good quality material to do the work acodinly
Productive workplace
Experiential Trainee - Geology (Former Employee) –  Vereeniging, South Africa17 August 2017
I learned a lot while working as a geology trainee at Anglo American's New Vaal Colliery, South Africa. I had a mentor who assisted me and challenged me throughout my time there.
Processor (Current Employee) –  North West12 August 2017
I am currently working shift here and are the hardest part of the job
The most enjoyable part of the job is the company allowances

Management and work cutler its fine
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
shifts
productive
Processor (Current Employee) –  Rustenburg, North West11 August 2017
i enjoy working in the industry as i like being hands on, the problem is adjusting to the 3 shifts, being exposed to chemicals and fumes and don't like scheduled meals and time. i enjoy team work.
Pros
free breakfast
Cons
shifts
A day in the life of a Section Manager
Section Manager (Current Employee) –  Vereeniging, Gauteng8 August 2017
What I enjoy most about the work I do is ensuring KPI s are met interact with teams and supporting departments. Hardest is when we achieve unsafely..
Pros
Breaking boundaries
Company Management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Rustenburg/Polokwane26 July 2017
Excellent Company - Management generally very supportive when required - internal politics often unbearable - causing Brain drain to other companies - Worker Organizations often getting the bigger bone in the argument -resulting in losses to the Company and Share-holders -also contributing to difficulty in managing business units.
Job security really down a lot during last 5-6 years.due to lapse in economy and selling of some assets.
Pros
Incentive bonus
Cons
Long Hours -