City of Cape Town Employee Reviews

It is good to work at this mentioned company above because they are training an individual to be able to handle pressure at work place
Library assistant (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape16 November 2017
- Managing work accordingly.
- Being able to work under supervision and unsupervised.
- Being friendly to the client and treat them with respect.
- Achieving my KPI's as per request
Pros
If the is offering such to the employees
Cons
8 hours
very productive and energetic
Student (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape14 November 2017
a very committed self driven male with positive attitude and great sense of humor .like working with team , good with customer service and meets the deadlines
Pros
free lunch
Cons
normal hours
no growth
Admin Officer (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape6 November 2017
It is good to work for the company but for me there is no career growth. it is not taken into consideration the fact that you have servicing the number of years in one position and also the fact that you have qualification greater that the position occupied. it is demoralizing to work in such an unrecognizing environment.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
no challenge
Assisting in life threatening situations
Basic Ambulance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape3 November 2017
Learning about how to help people that are injured in accidents and all other dangers. It becomes a good feeling at the end of the day knowing that you were involved in a team that has saved a life.
Pros
overtime
Enjoyable
Assistant Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape2 November 2017
Capturing assessment scripts
Data capturing
Professional and great with employees
Productive and working towards service delivery
Capturing 1000+ scripts
well organised/structured workplace.
Senior Clerk (EPWP) (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape2 November 2017
A typical day at work compromises of various tasks set out before hand by line management.
I've learnt how to deal with different types of assets, capturing time and attendance and drafting reports for different braches within the department.
What I loved most was helping people with challenging tasks and completing them on time.
Pros
Good Admin Experience
Cons
it was only a contract post.
Senior fireman (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape31 October 2017
Been learningfull working at city of capetown,helping others was great always wanted to do it as far as i can remember, our shifts started at 9 the morning till 9 the next morning i enjoyed that the hardest part of being a fireman is when u cant save others
Productive yet challenging workplace
Intern (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape16 October 2017
The environment was good yet challenging because i had to deal with people from the public and most would have demands which are above my powers, however i would refer them to the relevant officials
Pros
Serving the public with courtesy
Cons
Abide with the municipal code of conduct
Easy working environment
Admin Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape12 October 2017
Working at the City of Cape Town Council was a wonderful working experience as it exposed me to the work environment. This was my first time working so I really enjoyed it, and the management made working there very fun.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no transport
It's a Workplace, nothing else.
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Civic Centre, City of Cape Town, Western Cape12 October 2017
A typical day would be to sit at your desk the whole day.
Everything I know I learned from working at the City.
All Managers tries their best. The culture is that the work must get done no matter what. The hardest part of the job is the commute. The most enjoyable part is that you are able to provide for your family in a secure job.
Very challenging yet productive and conducive environment for all races.
Secretary/Administarative Assistant/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape9 October 2017
Overally a good working working environment with room for improvement. Staff very helpful and the most enjoyable part was that of the Manager who was people oriented and leading in a very professional and helpful way.
Pros
birthday gifts
Cons
hectic customers/clients
very productive
Admin Clerk (Current Employee) –  Belhar, Western Cape5 October 2017
Very easy working environment to work in.
Especially working and assisting citizens of cape town and making a difference in there day to day lives.
Working in the City is a good experience.
Benefits
Cons
Hard Work
fun to work for
Integrated learning student (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape5 October 2017
I was a student with no experience, I gained experience and had an understating of how the real world is and how the work environment is.. I am very thankful for the experience
fun work place
cleaner (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape5 October 2017
What i have learned the most is how they clean drinking water with the camicals the water that we drink at home,i really enjoyed working the unfortunately it was a 3 month contract
Pros
own lunch
Cons
normal hours
fruitful environment
apprentice/ artisan (Current Employee) –  electrity training centre, brackenfell5 October 2017
my first day at the depot
I had to do cable joint for the first time on my first day at the depot, I was nervous and excited, but I had a good team. they showed me how to do it, its took a long time but I did it.
Pros
christmas lunch
Cons
normal 8 hours
Career advancement opportunities very slim.
Senior Artisan / Acting Project Coordinator / QMR (Former Employee) –  Wynberg, Western Cape2 October 2017
The company has potential to excel as it has beautiful policies in place but not that much applicable at ground level to average employee. I feel not much attention or reviews are given/done to ensure that everyone has the equal opportunity at advancing their career, which is not only beneficial to the employee but much to the employer too. As it will eliminate on revenue loss and time but improving productivity/quality and creating the ideal workplace. Yes you can never impress everyone but it can start with fairness in the workplace.
Pros
Adhoc km allowance, cellphone, compulsory benefits
Cons
no recognition, not much advancement
Caring employer
Senior Librarian in charge (Current Employee) –  Vredehoek Libary4 September 2017
A typical work day will be running a library, managing the facility, being responsible for building maintenance, security and all human resource functions. Libraries are run like a business and all assets need to be strictly controlled and managed.

I have learnt to deal with difficult staff situations and dealing with public complaints. I enjoy working with all people and challenges are there to be overcome with a smile and compassion.

The hardest part of my job is having to disappoint members of the public because of circumstances out of my control.

The most enjoyable part of my job is satisfied customers and building the library collection.
Pros
Good staff benefits
Cons
Working shifts
Pleasant place to work.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape28 August 2017
Large number of divisions/departments so things would differ from one to another. Mine was an open ended time to arrive and choice to finish later if desired. Clock in clock out environment allowed this. People friendly and management supportive.
Accounts Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape28 August 2017
The moral was a bit low as people had been in the same position for many years. Regular training was given to ensure customer excellence. The job was fairly easy and deadlines were attainable.
Pros
Afternoons off when dealines were met.
Cons
Not much room for growth and creativity.
Air Pollution Monitoring
Technical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Scientific Services Athlone23 August 2017
Technical Assistant for Air Quality Monitoring Laboratory, we monitor gases (SO2, NOx, O3, Co etc) at various sites and also do landfill gas monitoring, I also do administrative work and procurements. Analyser Calibrations are also conducted