City of Cape Town Employee Reviews

Pleasant place to work.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape28 August 2017
Large number of divisions/departments so things would differ from one to another. Mine was an open ended time to arrive and choice to finish later if desired. Clock in clock out environment allowed this. People friendly and management supportive.
Accounts Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape28 August 2017
The moral was a bit low as people had been in the same position for many years. Regular training was given to ensure customer excellence. The job was fairly easy and deadlines were attainable.
Pros
Afternoons off when dealines were met.
Cons
Not much room for growth and creativity.
Air Pollution Monitoring
Technical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Scientific Services Athlone23 August 2017
Technical Assistant for Air Quality Monitoring Laboratory, we monitor gases (SO2, NOx, O3, Co etc) at various sites and also do landfill gas monitoring, I also do administrative work and procurements. Analyser Calibrations are also conducted
Productive, Engaging, Driven
Environmental Health Practitioner: Comm Serve (Former Employee) –  Blaauwbergstrand, Western Cape7 August 2017
City of Cape Town Municipality is among the best employers in the country.

I have really learned alot in the year that I was employed by them - from administration to the daily inspection, complaint investigation and especially working as a team to ensure that the citizens of the City are comfortable in their living space.

The cons are that some clients can be difficult at times but as is with any profession working with human beings. It is all worth it at the end of the day when the clients call to say thank you, the problem has been solved.
Pros
helping the community at large.
workplace
Intern Student (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape7 August 2017
Not everyday is the same, each day is new and has it's challenges, you as a person must know that. I have learned that in the workplace you get to deal with different types of people, coming from different backgrounds and you have to learn to work together in order for the workplace to be a happy place. I enjoyed having to learn new things each day, because of being an intern it was a must to get excited as I was never exposed in this at all. I ended up passing my workplace portfolio of evidence with a distinction scoring 81% after my internship, which is a good outcome showing that i was enjoying my time there.
Pros
We had free lunches here and there
Cons
there was no long hours at all
productive work place
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape6 August 2017
was great working there. i helped in the archive filing department, great atmosphere of people, found some really old dates on some of those papers. learnt allot there
Senior Administration Clerk (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape4 July 2017
My current position entails supervising and administering distribution of tasks in the absent of supervisor; Allocate payments received from government departments according to spreadsheets/schedules. And monitoring all unidentified deposits on the suspense account/general ledger, capturing financial adjustments and, facilitating effective communication with the City of Cape Town’s bankers, other directorates and external stakeholders to obtain information relating to unidentified cash.
It's alright
Engineering Artisan (Current Employee) –  Energy Mowbray Depot28 June 2017
I've learnt quite a lot of things while working for the city. Sometimes you get to deal with very difficult consumers so one has to be calm and explain to them.
Amazing Vehicle of Unity
Beach Constable - charge office sergeant (Former Employee) –  SOUTH AFRICA27 June 2017
Potential for career orientated and improvement of character building working environment for any number of very skilled, to beginner apprentices, IT and Business Science. A tough dissonant force in industry, it remains a viable option for certain caring, medical and spiritual healers - trained and intuitive through upgrading of wholeistic treatment of the full emotional being
CAPE CITY COUNCIL need to become a future thinking peace keeping power of hope in the future, not the war machine that maims and destroys our young Chieftans
Pros
Equality
Cons
Top Down Dissonant Leadership
Flexible and free working environment
ERP Analyst (Intern) (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape21 June 2017
Working in the support environment for emergency services, there are always disruptions to daily functions. Constantly, users would report urgent issues which would require immediate assistance to resolve. Additionally, this is not limited to the time of day.

I have a learnt a numerous amount of skills and still continuing to grow within the skills I have learnt. I have learnt how to approach issues and exercise my critical thinking and problem solving skills. Basic business analysis skills I have acquired and still continuing to nurture. These basic skills are capturing business needs and requirements and converting them into functional requirements that will be developed by the technical team. Furthermore, providing support to business user requires patience and troubleshooting issues logged. Not all issues can be resolved within a day or even weeks. However, there is always a solution to an issue, which we have to provide in order to aid business.

Management does not micro-manage. Employees have been allowed a vast amounts of freedom. Management believes that the employees are professional and have a well balanced work ethic. Responsibility and accountability is part of the job description. However, if employees does slack off at work, management will intervene accordingly and confront the relevant employees.

The most difficult part of the job is balancing the priority issues with daily functions. Daily, issues are logged and some issues have a higher priority than others. Additionally, business requirements needs to be documented and has a high priority. Therefore,
  more... balancing the two can be challenging as one will neglect the other in aid to assist business accordingly. However, it is merely a challenge.

The most satisfying part of the job is adding value and knowing that we are helping people. People does not only include the employees but citizens as well. Additionally, constantly providing solutions and improving the business process as the system needs to align with business requirements is always fun as we get to engage with numerous business staff. Overall, the most satisfying part is assisting people.
Pros
Flexi-hours
Cons
Minimal team building activities
Life at the City
HR / Admin Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cape Town12 June 2017
My day consists of busy and quiet times, all depends on the time of month. Keeps things exciting

I've learnt that you need to stand up for what is right, and fight for what you want, but know when to back down.

Management, it is what it is. i have great respect for them. They do not make you feel as if you need to walk on egg shells when they are in office.

The workplace culture is amazing! We are a diverse group of people, different cultures, different religions. Amazing to learn. We do not talk 'poitics'.

The hardest part of the job is getting used to the ups and downs, it is exciting, but can get tiring.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the continuous learning opportunity.
Pros
Good exposure, always things to learn
Cons
Difficult to 'move around'
Team work
Data Capturer - EPWP contractor (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape2 June 2017
We work in a team environment but i feel like a island most of the times. Job discription I am not sure of what i need to do, although the job discription are recorded but you do not do the task as per you Job discription. it disappointing.
Pros
medical aid, bursary for further studies & pension fund
Cons
No growth at this stage; salary do not match my experience
Electricity: Quality of Supply
Senior Technician (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape1 June 2017
I have been developing and implementing new technologies.

Project Managing and Investigations

Great Team work culture

Job is 100% enjoyable, no difficulties I cannot resolve.
Pros
balance of office and field work
Cons
no overtime
Not a bad place to work at
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape29 May 2017
It is quite boring in terms of being repetitive. You only learn what is required to do your job. Growth is limited due to strict H.R policies and bias practices.
benefits
Cons
no growth
Push to finish the job, Relaxing
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape12 May 2017
Jobs are given in the morning. You push to finish all jobs given to you and once completed the rest of the day is yours.

No link between worker and management. Most discrepancies go unheard. There is a big emphasis on Safety yet it takes 7 weeks to get your protective gear.

There is no sense of urgency in terms of improvement of infrastructure, there is only urgency in maintenance and break downs.
Pros
Great tools and workmanship
Cons
job can be repetitive
fun workspace
team leader (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape12 May 2017
The management is very good and its a fun place to work in. There are many things to learn while working at the city of cape town but the only downfall is that it is only contract based.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
starting early in the morning
very productive educational
Clerk (Former Employee) –  City of Cape Town, Western Cape12 May 2017
i have worked there for the past 10 years first for the health department the moved to the finance and revenue department i have learnt alot in both departments
Is good place.
Administrator/Data Capturer (Former Employee) –  CBD cape town9 May 2017
I am doing filling, Managing calls, sending and receiving emails and capturing.

I have learn how to prioritize my work and all of email and capturing I am still coping.

the hardest part of my job if filling I must make sure that I don't loose any document. and doing a report every month.

I really enjoy doing my job. especial my when I doing typing and capturing. sending e-mails.
Pros
free refreshment
Cons
working over time
cleaned all around
cleaner (Former Employee) –  cleaned all around5 May 2017
I cleaned all around office, toilets,outside,also all earea... Was nice I enjoyed every minute but it was a contract job if I cud I wud do it all over agen ...
Pros
free
Cons
8 hours
Sport and recreation
Lifeguard Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape25 April 2017
It is the department that increase our growth not only on sport activities but also management side. We get to understand stand the business side of things.
Pros
Development
Cons
N/a