Ethekwini Municipality

Ethekwini Municipality Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Product and Fun
Web Content Administrator and Online Journalist (Former Employee), ZNJanuary 13, 2016
I started working here as an intern. This was the company that gave me the initial start to my career. I enjoyed working with the joyful bunch of people.

I learnt a lot from my manager. She was a true motivator.
Learning more things each and everyday.
Principal Clerk (Current Employee), Durban, KwaZulu-NatalDecember 28, 2015
I came to work and check my boss's diary, take out any files that he might need for the day. Arrange other appointments and do normal office job.

I have learned that when it comes to management you have to be proactive and think a step ahead.

The most difficult thing is to make a decision on behalf of your boss especially if he is not there and you are not sure of what he would have wanted.
Data Capturer (Former Employee), Durban, ZNNovember 30, 2015
Pros: Experience
Cons: Long hours
Fun and exhausting
Learned patiency
Good management
Office politics but good to work with
Working at an open space is quiet challenging.
Having to finish your deadlines.
Working with wonderful people
admin assistant (Former Employee), Tongaat, KwaZulu-NatalNovember 29, 2015
Pros: wroking with amazing people
Cons: had to relocate
Handling all the administration for 3 building inspectors and the supervisor in charge of the Tongaat region. Learnt new things on a daily basis as the individuals I worked with were very experienced and intelligent people.
One of teh best Unit to work for in the Municipality
Safety Officer (Current Employee), Durban, ZNNovember 12, 2015
Pros: Breakfast meetings
Cons: Recommendations take long to be implemented
Inform management about the intention to conduct depot or site inspections or survey. communicate with workers on site. prepare for health and safety trainings scheduled by EMA.
The health and safety is not only the responsibility of one party, all parties in the organization must adopt the system. management to budget more funds on health and safety matters.
Management has an open door policy.
Best people to work with.
when recommendations done by myself if they are not implemented by management because of budget constrains.
The trust my management have on me to conduct my work without being micro managed
Very Productive company
Environmental Health -Community Service (Former Employee), Durban, ZNOctober 19, 2015
I always wanted to work for a company that I will be able to grow and be independent , EThekwini Municipality gave me that opportunity.
productive and fun place to work in
HR Staff Assistant (Current Employee), Durban, ZNOctober 13, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: growth
Ethekwini Municipality is a pleasent work environment. I had learnt a lot working in the Human Resources Department for the various Departments. I had worked for more than 15 years and personally need to grow even if it means in another organisation.
Fun work place
Graduate work experience (Current Employee), Durban, ZNOctober 6, 2015
Pros: Flexibility
Cons: Misleading people
Its a fun working environment as I am able to assist people on a daily basis. I enjoy working with collegues and learning from them, we brainstorm idead on how to improve ourselves. My co-workers- easy to work with and respectful of one anothers' space.
Service Delivery
Senior Clerk (Current Employee), Durban, ZNSeptember 16, 2015
Pros: Flexibility
Cons: long hours
Its a fun working environment as I was able to assist people on a daily basis. I enjoy working with collegues and learning from them, we brainstorm idead on how to improve ourselves.
Fun Workplace
Principal Clerk (Current Employee), Durban, ZNAugust 19, 2015
Pros: lots of events
My colleagues are the best, we are a family which is what makes if fun.

Doing my daily duties now comes naturally for me as i have been doing them for years, which is why I need the change. My managers are very supportive and kind which makes it easier to be productive. Compliments are given when due.

I came to this company as a baby and I have grown to be a smart and professional women and I will always appreciate the Legal Service Team for teaching me.

I would definitely miss the parties we have time and time to unite us.
stressfull and learning environment
Acting call centre supervisor (Current Employee), kwaZulu NatalAugust 11, 2015
Pros: learning oppotunities
Cons: lack of information and feedback
on a typical day we receive a over 1000 calls and about 500 of those calls are repeat calls where there are follow ups that need to be done and escalations to different departments concerning different faults. The environment itself is the most best where there are different involvements and new learning possibilities. its like a second home. This is more of a developmental post that i was given and management has given us a platform to prove our values and management levels. The most hardest of this job is when you don't receive the right info to liaise with the consumer and give necessary feedback.
Challenging and rewarding
Business Continuity Advisor (Current Employee), Durban, ZNJuly 20, 2015
Pros: Diverse culture
Cons: Unplanned ad hoc meeting after hours
A typical day starts with a status update meeting and then update the weekly task plan and targets. I have learned that not every individual thinks the same as you do and that you need to continuously improve ones people skills to be able to sell an idea and get buy-in from all relevant key players. The hardest part is the availability of senior officials who need to set the tone for their workforce in order to make the work seamless. The best part is knowing that you have contribute to improving the lives of the ordinary citizens
Fun and can be hectic at times, but enjoying every minute
Senior Librarian (Current Employee), Durban, ZNJuly 1, 2015
Cons: Working on Saturdays
Good to work directly with the public because you are able to know or get feedback as soon as you have given assistance to them.
Excellent Learning
Senior Water Quality Officer (Current Employee), Durban, ZNJune 9, 2015
Pros: Great benefits, good security
Cons: Not enough application. Customers can be rather rude.
Great place to work. One can learn alot however there are not enough ooportunities to progress. Often too much politics result in unfairness. very stable and secure environment. One finds it hard in this specific job to apply the knowledge gained at engineering degree level.
I enjoyed working there because it was a learning curve for me and I had fun.
Office Administration (Former Employee), Durban, ZNMay 18, 2015
Pros: No free lunch was provided.
Cons: We used to work long hours, but not always and I did not have a problem with it and it helped me a lot.
I started working there on 04 May 2009. Most of the things I know today, I learned them from eThekwini Municipality, concerning my job, I enjoyed everything there including my co-workers.
Productive Working Environment
Project Management-Marketing& Communications (Current Employee), Durban, ZNApril 29, 2015
Pros: Job Security
Cons: None
Provided scope to progress.Enjoyed interaction with internal and external customers.Experience was diverse and I was exposed to fields such as Renewable Energy and Climate Change.
Motivative, fun, busy organised
Senior Technical Planner (Current Employee), Durban, ZNApril 14, 2015
Pros: Team building sessions
Cons: no flexi hours
I have gain mental and professional growth, be able to work in a team but also manage myworking independently. Keeping in with time management in terms of the timeframes.
Great working environment
Estates Officer (Current Employee), Durban, ZNApril 7, 2015
Pros: Great job security
Cons: The pain an expropriation can sometimes cause to an expropriatee.
A very rewarding job when targets are met timeously and all parties concerned are happy.
Excellent management and co-workers. Good training provided on an on-going basis.
attending to all queries telephonically, assist customers in opening and closing of water accounts, generating debtors list report ,
Cashier /consultant (Former Employee), Durban, ZNMarch 25, 2015
working with customers
to treat customers equally
to be on time at work - time management
work as a team
to make customer to understand
getting a reward from the employer as a top empleyee in your department
Meetings and consultation with clients and business community. Businesses are unique and should be treated likewise.
Programme Manager (Former Employee), Durban, ZNMarch 16, 2015
Pros: communications and networking with others business and this includes the corporate.
Cons: politics and resistence when initiating a project.
Typical day: Conduct a needs analysis for business and provide possible solutions or referrals if the matter is outside our ambit. In some days I will develop a developmental or business support programme depending on the group or status.

What I have learned:

Businesses are not the same and that it is indeed a lonely journey. I realised that not all business owners are entrepreneurs and do not possess the right qualities and strength of thriving through. I have learned that our country still have a lot to do in working through the minds of businesses.

Management:

I work as a programme manager responsible for managing government resources and people. Being a manager tests one's ability of efficiency and be effective. Productivity was key by ensuring that I meet my targets and produce without wasting time and money.

Co-workers

Working for eThekwini Municipality has enable me to work under pressure and with different people and characters. Team work was key to avoid duplication and wasteful expenditures and that required us to constantly communicate and support each other.

Hardest part:

Working with business owners compels you to advise sometimes constructively criticize bad business behavior. The critics usually does not seat well with some of the members and eventually you get unpopular. Change is difficult and the enterprises do not accept change the way we envisage.

Enjoyable:

Presentations, this is my passion whenever I was asked to represent my department I jumped. I enjoy engaging with enterprises and corporate to pitch our business idea and also sharing knowledge – more... with our partners. – less