Ethekwini Municipality

Ethekwini Municipality Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
stressfull and learning environment
Acting call centre supervisor (Current Employee), kwaZulu NatalAugust 11, 2015
Pros: learning oppotunities
Cons: lack of information and feedback
on a typical day we receive a over 1000 calls and about 500 of those calls are repeat calls where there are follow ups that need to be done and escalations to different departments concerning different faults. The environment itself is the most best where there are different involvements and new learning possibilities. its like a second home. This is more of a developmental post that i was given and management has given us a platform to prove our values and management levels. The most hardest of this job is when you don't receive the right info to liaise with the consumer and give necessary feedback.
Challenging and rewarding
Business Continuity Advisor (Current Employee), Durban, ZNJuly 20, 2015
Pros: Diverse culture
Cons: Unplanned ad hoc meeting after hours
A typical day starts with a status update meeting and then update the weekly task plan and targets. I have learned that not every individual thinks the same as you do and that you need to continuously improve ones people skills to be able to sell an idea and get buy-in from all relevant key players. The hardest part is the availability of senior officials who need to set the tone for their workforce in order to make the work seamless. The best part is knowing that you have contribute to improving the lives of the ordinary citizens
Fun and can be hectic at times, but enjoying every minute
Senior Librarian (Current Employee), Durban, ZNJuly 1, 2015
Cons: Working on Saturdays
Good to work directly with the public because you are able to know or get feedback as soon as you have given assistance to them.
Excellent Learning
Senior Water Quality Officer (Current Employee), Durban, ZNJune 9, 2015
Pros: Great benefits, good security
Cons: Not enough application. Customers can be rather rude.
Great place to work. One can learn alot however there are not enough ooportunities to progress. Often too much politics result in unfairness. very stable and secure environment. One finds it hard in this specific job to apply the knowledge gained at engineering degree level.
I enjoyed working there because it was a learning curve for me and I had fun.
Office Administration (Former Employee), Durban, ZNMay 18, 2015
Pros: No free lunch was provided.
Cons: We used to work long hours, but not always and I did not have a problem with it and it helped me a lot.
I started working there on 04 May 2009. Most of the things I know today, I learned them from eThekwini Municipality, concerning my job, I enjoyed everything there including my co-workers.
Productive Working Environment
Project Management-Marketing& Communications (Current Employee), Durban, ZNApril 29, 2015
Pros: Job Security
Cons: None
Provided scope to progress.Enjoyed interaction with internal and external customers.Experience was diverse and I was exposed to fields such as Renewable Energy and Climate Change.
Motivative, fun, busy organised
Senior Technical Planner (Current Employee), Durban, ZNApril 14, 2015
Pros: Team building sessions
Cons: no flexi hours
I have gain mental and professional growth, be able to work in a team but also manage myworking independently. Keeping in with time management in terms of the timeframes.
Great working environment
Estates Officer (Current Employee), Durban, ZNApril 7, 2015
Pros: Great job security
Cons: The pain an expropriation can sometimes cause to an expropriatee.
A very rewarding job when targets are met timeously and all parties concerned are happy.
Excellent management and co-workers. Good training provided on an on-going basis.
attending to all queries telephonically, assist customers in opening and closing of water accounts, generating debtors list report ,
Cashier /consultant (Former Employee), Durban, ZNMarch 25, 2015
working with customers
to treat customers equally
to be on time at work - time management
work as a team
to make customer to understand
getting a reward from the employer as a top empleyee in your department
Meetings and consultation with clients and business community. Businesses are unique and should be treated likewise.
Programme Manager (Former Employee), Durban, ZNMarch 16, 2015
Pros: communications and networking with others business and this includes the corporate.
Cons: politics and resistence when initiating a project.
Typical day: Conduct a needs analysis for business and provide possible solutions or referrals if the matter is outside our ambit. In some days I will develop a developmental or business support programme depending on the group or status.

What I have learned:

Businesses are not the same and that it is indeed a lonely journey. I realised that not all business owners are entrepreneurs and do not possess the right qualities and strength of thriving through. I have learned that our country still have a lot to do in working through the minds of businesses.

Management:

I work as a programme manager responsible for managing government resources and people. Being a manager tests one's ability of efficiency and be effective. Productivity was key by ensuring that I meet my targets and produce without wasting time and money.

Co-workers

Working for eThekwini Municipality has enable me to work under pressure and with different people and characters. Team work was key to avoid duplication and wasteful expenditures and that required us to constantly communicate and support each other.

Hardest part:

Working with business owners compels you to advise sometimes constructively criticize bad business behavior. The critics usually does not seat well with some of the members and eventually you get unpopular. Change is difficult and the enterprises do not accept change the way we envisage.

Enjoyable:

Presentations, this is my passion whenever I was asked to represent my department I jumped. I enjoy engaging with enterprises and corporate to pitch our business idea and also sharing knowledge with our partners.
Chemical Engineering Technician Trainee (Former Employee), Durban, ZNFebruary 17, 2015
A typical work day was event filled. I learned a lot on a daily basis including the entire plant operations and their functionality. The management staff were extremely welcoming and addressed any queries relating to the wastewater engineering sector I had at any time. The co- workers were pleasant as I enjoyed working with each and everyone of them. The hardest part of my job was ensuring I did my part thoroughly as I am a perfectionist. I enjoyed the work environment and learning from engineers and technicians about the industry as a whole.
Very productive and it was a place to learn.
Town Planning as an inservice trainee (Former Employee), Durban, ZNFebruary 16, 2015
EThekwini Municipality taught me a lot, it was a very useful training for me as a student that time, I was getting a necessary experience and a clear insight about the Town and Regional Planning course of what is it really dealing with in reality, I dealt with it practically working with the professional planners and senior technical planners.
awesome atmosphere
principal clerk (Former Employee), Durban, ZNFebruary 9, 2015
A very friendly and awesome environment, I learned about communicating with all supplies of Ethekwini municipality. co workers were very friendly and supportive. Hardest part is financial year end issue where every department want to finish the funds allocated to them....enjoyable part is not working under pressure.
Productive and a fun working place
Admininistration Clerk (Current Employee), Durban, ZNFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: flexible lunch hours
Cons: we mostly dependant on other department in resolving most complaints.
Monday meeting, reporting on progress of previews week and challenges, planning for the current week. All our managers have an open door policy where by it makes it easy to get guidance from them. We all work as a team with the same out puts to improve the customer service. The most difficult part is not able to assist the customer in time and the best feeling is when a customer complements on good services they recieve.
culture
Acting Project Manager: Talent Management (Current Employee), Durban, ZNJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: employee development
Cons: beaurocratic structure, inflexibility
Standard system of doing things, flexibility, adapting to change. Beauricratic structure, geberational gap. This highlights the organisation I work for. friendly coworkers. I have had the previlege of working with managers who take interest in employee development especiall emplyees who desplay great potential in their carees. I have been "thrown in the deep end" to learn to do work. I gave reached the position that I am in because of the williness to learn and opportunities for growth given by eThekwini Municipality
lots of hard work and pressure.
branding and information officer (Current Employee), Durban, ZNJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: resources or tools of work are wildy available.
Cons: long hours limited overtime.
Get to work at half past 8 sign the register. Go thru my emails to see what events and trade shows need to be branded or site inspections that need my attention. Meet with my line manager to see if there are tasks for the day he knows about.
Interesting insttitution to work for
Community Liaison Officer (Former Employee), Durban, KZNOctober 29, 2014
Pros: uniform
Cons: abuse from the public
Productive and service orientated institution. i interact with different members of the public and I enjoy seeing people developing and I am also passionate about service delivery. Ethekwini Municipality being one of the best Metros
challenging environment
administrator (Current Employee), Durban, ZNOctober 22, 2014
Pros: closer to where i live
Cons: i start work very early 5h30
i deal with different customers everyday and i supervise staff of different cultures and personalities.we have a team spirit.i am responsible for everything that happens at my section.customers can be difficult at times and i have learnt to deal with them in an effective way.
to have culture day and high tea
intern (Former Employee), Durban, ZNOctober 16, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: no long hours at all
To meet deadline,I learned general admin duties as well as presentation skills.To respect management all the time.To love and respect collegues.To deal with Head of Departments and Deputy Heads.To deal with Council employees.
Good Employer but No Management Prospects
Legal Advisor (Former Employee), Durban, ZNOctober 6, 2014
Pros: assisted education policy to develop your career
Cons: restricted to public issues only
One of the Top Municipalities in the country to work for but inadequate salary, benefits and lack of prospects of career development.