Ethekwini Municipality

Ethekwini Municipality Employee Reviews

Principal Clerk (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal4 March 2017
Ethekwini Municipality is a good industry the only thing is does it's limits your exposure and interms of promotion not quiet good.

Interms of productive it delivers since we mostly deal with the public and internal customers.

On the fun working place it's tries by all means to create an enjoyable and fun place by having team buildings
Pros
No pressure environment
Cons
Not so easy promotions
a place where to learn agrow at
survey assistant (Former Employee) –  ethekwini municipality2 March 2017
This is the place that give yo the opportunity to choose life you wanna live.it was fun and I did enjoy my time there.and I have learned so much there
Pros
full of choices
Cons
good services
Fun work place
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pinetown, KwaZulu-Natal9 February 2017
My experience working for EThekwini Municipality was quite huge because we were dealing mostly with the public and it really sharpened my communication skills. We were a family. Management had an open door policy so it was easy to work with them because they were honest and transparent. We worked as a team. I enjoyed my year working with them
Pros
Fridays free lunch and drinks
Cons
Inconsistent hours of work
• Good communication (verbal and written) skills
Data Capture (Former Employee) –  KwaZulu-Natal Durban2 February 2017
Controlling the Skills development Programmes including the preparation of vouchers, recovery of fees and monitoring the budget for Skills development Scheme, Controlling all study leave.
Pros
normal lunches
Cons
normal hours
Great experience
Debt administrator (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal26 January 2017
Moving from one internal department to another made working at the municipality thoroughly enjoyable. The staff are very friendly and helpful as well.
Pros
Learn new things everyday, annual increase and bonus offered
productive and well planned
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  kzn26 January 2017
A productive well organized day. There is something to learn everyday. Management they are doing what they can. Its a good working culture but I want more Im tired of doing the same thing everyday.Its to work without necessary resources. when Customers are happy and when they are stating the reason they not happy with the service I have rendered because its a learning curve I learn day In day out.
Pros
time off
productive work
field worker (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal23 January 2017
It was great working there and my contract ended.I learned to work with both Managers and my colegues without any disagreement but understanding each others values. It was a multiracial ,I didnt find any job difficult.I really enjoyed working with the members of the community doing face to face interviews and filling up questionnares.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Productive organization full of exciting colleagues dedicated in their work
Public Relations Officer (Former Employee) –  Durban, KZN20 January 2017
I've obtained and imparted expertise. Cultivated positive relationship with the community through public relations campaigns, coached less experienced public relations staff members on corporate communications practices. Established cooperative relationship with representatives of the community, consumer, employee and public interest, lastly I've managed all media press and public relations issues.
Pros
Free Coffee
work place
Motor Mechanic in-service Training (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal14 January 2017
it was my first time working as an artisan assistant,i started working there while i was studying at coastal kzn fet college doing my level 3 Automotive repaire and maintanance corse,working there was very nice beacause of the divesity of the workplace.
Good Government
community mobiliser (Former Employee) –  community participation13 January 2017
Well netted government. Creating & making an impact in communities. Great experience with diverse communities. Better understanding the municipality & acts the municipality is governed by. Phenomenal department with experienced staff.
Pros
Good work ethics
Cons
weekend work
Hard working environment
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal7 January 2017
Productive daily, staff are very hard working and ambitious. Learning to work in teams is essential as team work and good co worker relations is encouraged.
Pros
Training programes are provided to staff such as First Aid.
Cons
Salary does not reflect work load.
productive customer service
Precinct Officer (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal4 January 2017
Derelict Building inspections
how to communicate with the public
The hardest part delivering projects with little or no budgets
Pros
customer experience
Cons
budget constraints to implement projects
Productive environment with room to grow
Mechanical Technician (Current Employee) –  Springfield Park3 January 2017
I am heavily involved in the maintenance of existing pumping equipment, and the specification of new equipment. Project work and managing contracts. Hardest part of the job is liaising with the various departments that do not have the same sense of urgency that we do. Most enjoyable part is starting a project and seeing it to fruition.
Pros
Large funding always available for projects
Cons
Delays when dealing with other departments
Good Project
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Durban8 December 2016
I have learned new things in big-data hadoop domains through this project. co-workers are good to work with them and helped to handle critical situations.
It a fun workplace and it got lot of things u can learn from it
Executive Secretary (Former Employee) –  Durban8 December 2016
I have had a very bad experience with this company,they let u be a temporary worker for too long and they dismiss once they see that it time to make u pernanent
Pros
Offices are in good condition
Cons
They dont have enough work for their employees
Very dirverse and much exposure
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal1 December 2016
Through this job, I have learnt a lot of departmental accounting ranging from operational and capital budget preparation, preparation of management accounts (comparative statements), being at a supervisory role and handling of over R1 billion rand budget. The environment is very friendly ,fun as well as deadline driven. I have learnt different accounting systems, ranging from JDE world, Advanced Excel, Cognos as well as advanced CQS caseware. The ongoing support from the organization on enhancing your skills was amazing.
Pros
Great Exposure
Cons
Too departmental
fun workforce
EPWP Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal22 November 2016
setting up dates for team matches
allocating teams
motivating team spirit
gaining trust and honesty within the team
making sure that everyone is happy within the team
Pros
working with younger people then me
Cons
disappointment when loosing a match
productive and very informative work place
CYBER CADET (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal18 November 2016
Being is a Cyber cadet if you are a nurse is a bit challenging but it is similar because in both you get to help with people.

My passion is to help people so i really love starting my day at 8:30 at work and working with people especially that do not have the knowledge about computers because i ensure that by the time they leave our library they are fully informed .
Fun workplace
Senior Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal10 November 2016
Good company to work for and a lot to learn as it is very diverse and different organisation.
Sometimes very challenging with not much support from the management and the clients we support. Safety is not a priority only in papers and that's make it a huge challenge to conform.
The hardest part of the job is that the employees rely on you as a Safety Officer to ensure compliance but nothing taken seriously and you end up feeling like you have failed the employees.

We share the same sentiment with other Safety officers and that lead to high staff turn over.
I have a lot that i have learned since i have been with the organisation from negotiation skills, conflict management, chairing safety meetings, conducting trainings.

What i enjoyed the most is engaging with employees on professional and personal level
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
limited working resources
Productive work place
Clark (Current Employee) –  KwaZulu-Natal9 November 2016
Am an internship for 2 years work as a clerk. Taking minute meeting and typing.Attending to telephone queries.Creating files after capture and do searches.Do searches Hss, windeed,home affars.Checking outlook.printing typing. Deliving a service to the beneficiaries assisting to the counter.
Pros
Lunch

4,0