Ethekwini Municipality

Ethekwini Municipality South Africa Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Meetings and consultation with clients and business community. Businesses are unique and should be treated likewise.
Programme Manager (Former Employee), Durban, ZNMarch 16, 2015
Pros: communications and networking with others business and this includes the corporate.
Cons: politics and resistence when initiating a project.
Typical day: Conduct a needs analysis for business and provide possible solutions or referrals if the matter is outside our ambit. In some days I will develop a developmental or business support programme depending on the group or status.

What I have learned:

Businesses are not the same and that it is indeed a lonely journey. I realised that not all business owners are entrepreneurs and do not possess the right qualities and strength of thriving through. I have learned that our country still have a lot to do in working through the minds of businesses.

Management:

I work as a programme manager responsible for managing government resources and people. Being a manager tests one's ability of efficiency and be effective. Productivity was key by ensuring that I meet my targets and produce without wasting time and money.

Co-workers

Working for eThekwini Municipality has enable me to work under pressure and with different people and characters. Team work was key to avoid duplication and wasteful expenditures and that required us to constantly communicate and support each other.

Hardest part:

Working with business owners compels you to advise sometimes constructively criticize bad business behavior. The critics usually does not seat well with some of the members and eventually you get unpopular. Change is difficult and the enterprises do not accept change the way we envisage.

Enjoyable:

Presentations, this is my passion whenever I was asked to represent my department I jumped. I enjoy engaging with enterprises and corporate to pitch our business idea and also sharing knowledge with our partners.
Chemical Engineering Technician Trainee (Former Employee), Durban, ZNFebruary 17, 2015
A typical work day was event filled. I learned a lot on a daily basis including the entire plant operations and their functionality. The management staff were extremely welcoming and addressed any queries relating to the wastewater engineering sector I had at any time. The co- workers were pleasant as I enjoyed working with each and everyone of them. The hardest part of my job was ensuring I did my part thoroughly as I am a perfectionist. I enjoyed the work environment and learning from engineers and technicians about the industry as a whole.
Very productive and it was a place to learn.
Town Planning as an inservice trainee (Former Employee), Durban, ZNFebruary 16, 2015
EThekwini Municipality taught me a lot, it was a very useful training for me as a student that time, I was getting a necessary experience and a clear insight about the Town and Regional Planning course of what is it really dealing with in reality, I dealt with it practically working with the professional planners and senior technical planners.
awesome atmosphere
principal clerk (Former Employee), Durban, ZNFebruary 9, 2015
A very friendly and awesome environment, I learned about communicating with all supplies of Ethekwini municipality. co workers were very friendly and supportive. Hardest part is financial year end issue where every department want to finish the funds allocated to them....enjoyable part is not working under pressure.
Productive and a fun working place
Admininistration Clerk (Current Employee), Durban, ZNFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: flexible lunch hours
Cons: we mostly dependant on other department in resolving most complaints.
Monday meeting, reporting on progress of previews week and challenges, planning for the current week. All our managers have an open door policy where by it makes it easy to get guidance from them. We all work as a team with the same out puts to improve the customer service. The most difficult part is not able to assist the customer in time and the best feeling is when a customer complements on good services they recieve.
culture
Acting Project Manager: Talent Management (Current Employee), Durban, ZNJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: employee development
Cons: beaurocratic structure, inflexibility
Standard system of doing things, flexibility, adapting to change. Beauricratic structure, geberational gap. This highlights the organisation I work for. friendly coworkers. I have had the previlege of working with managers who take interest in employee development especiall emplyees who desplay great potential in their carees. I have been "thrown in the deep end" to learn to do work. I gave reached the position that I am in because of the williness to learn and opportunities for growth given by eThekwini Municipality
lots of hard work and pressure.
branding and information officer (Current Employee), Durban, ZNJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: resources or tools of work are wildy available.
Cons: long hours limited overtime.
Get to work at half past 8 sign the register. Go thru my emails to see what events and trade shows need to be branded or site inspections that need my attention. Meet with my line manager to see if there are tasks for the day he knows about.
Interesting insttitution to work for
Community Liaison Officer (Former Employee), Durban, KZNOctober 29, 2014
Pros: uniform
Cons: abuse from the public
Productive and service orientated institution. i interact with different members of the public and I enjoy seeing people developing and I am also passionate about service delivery. Ethekwini Municipality being one of the best Metros
challenging environment
administrator (Current Employee), Durban, ZNOctober 22, 2014
Pros: closer to where i live
Cons: i start work very early 5h30
i deal with different customers everyday and i supervise staff of different cultures and personalities.we have a team spirit.i am responsible for everything that happens at my section.customers can be difficult at times and i have learnt to deal with them in an effective way.
to have culture day and high tea
intern (Former Employee), Durban, ZNOctober 16, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: no long hours at all
To meet deadline,I learned general admin duties as well as presentation skills.To respect management all the time.To love and respect collegues.To deal with Head of Departments and Deputy Heads.To deal with Council employees.
Good Employer but No Management Prospects
Legal Advisor (Former Employee), Durban, ZNOctober 6, 2014
Pros: assisted education policy to develop your career
Cons: restricted to public issues only
One of the Top Municipalities in the country to work for but inadequate salary, benefits and lack of prospects of career development.
productive and fun work place
IN SERVICE TRAINEE (Former Employee), Durban, ZNOctober 5, 2014
Pros: learning new things and flexible working hours
Cons: not enough work sometimes
a typical day at work entailed dealing with the public and knowing the issues that concern them on a day to day basis. this would be done face to face or through the telephone depending on the issue at hand. furthermore Geographic Information System was a daily utility as i would use it everyday to locate vacant land and any other land that may be needed for a development.
Furthermore, the land acquisition officers ,the technical and professional planners and project managers were very helpful in terms of assisting me in learning abut the work required as well as going to site visits and attending meetings.
the hardest part about the job was the lack of corporation that sometimes existed between the colleagues. All in all, i enjoyed working in the Housing Department as it helped me understand the contextual issues that exist in terms of housing and service provision in many areas.
Productive and very nice place and much more expireance
Senior clerk (Current Employee), Durban, ZNAugust 12, 2014
Pros: we buy food for own
Cons: 8 hours a day
Management is good,
I have leaned most of the things in deffrent departments of Finance and accounting.

The hardest part was when i started to work in the company but now everything is easy becouse it almost a years ive been working here.

The Most part of the job is when i m dealing with customers
that is the most thing i like to dealing with customers becouse they are my fisrt priority

and i have leaned how to prioritise
how to meet dead lines
how to deal with customers
Good department to gain experience in. Helpful work colleagues.
In-service trainee (Former Employee), Durban, ZNJuly 18, 2014
Pros: staff lunches, earning a salary, meeting new people and learning new things.
The work place was a new environment, however valuable experience was gained. Although the work i did was not purely focused on town planning the knowledge i gained certainly did supplement my knowledge. The overall experience of the year was challenging but constructive at the same time.

The most enjoyable part of the job was site inspections and having to travel to places that where totally out of my comfort zone. These are humbling experiences which most definitely added value and meaning the work i did in the office.
enjoyable
Trainee Internal Auditor (Former Employee), Durban, ZNJune 26, 2014
I gained lots of internal auditing experience, i completed a learnership
and the co-workers were easy to get along with.
A place that gives young graduates a fantastic opportunity to learn their trade in a stable work environment.
Intern (Former Employee), Durban, ZNJune 22, 2014
Pros: friday birthday lunches at the unit meeting were always a great occassion
Cons: not being allowed to drive the unit's vehicles as an intern was the only con.
As an intern each day started with media monitoring which would last up to 3 hours on some mornings, and that required a lot of concerntration and as a result my ability to concerntrate for long periods was vastly improved.

I learnt a great deal about working in the field as a journalist, although it wasn't anything similar to the pressure-cooker that is working in a daily newspaper. I learnt to be comfortable with requesting interviews and doing interviews with high-profile Municipal figures such as the Mayor and Heads of Units. I also learnt to write for a particular house style, which is the norm with each different publication.

The management was fair but very demanding, which I appreciated because they let us get on with our jobs without any interference which enabled us to execute our duties without any problems.

From my fellow workers, especially the interns, I learnt how to be part of a team and to always support each other as members of a team. I learnt how to work well with co-workers in projects assigned to us by our superiors.

The hardest part about the job was when deadline day was approaching and the pressure to produce quality articles for publication was ramped up, but this was also a time I relished as I always made sure I was well prepared to handle the pressure by doing everything required of me well in advance.

The enjoyable part of the job was the rapport that was enjoyed by all and sundry in the office, as interns we were made to feel welcome and no limitations were set on the contribution we could make to the team. In short we were valued members of the workplace because of the quality of work we produced.
Busy,Dynamic and professional work environment
SENIOR PROFESSIONAL PLANNER (Current Employee), Durban, ZNMay 29, 2014
Pros: flexi time
Wide variety of planning applications
the work environment focases on multi skilling
Secretary (Current Employee), DurbanMay 26, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: i'm contract
Ours of work ar

e vflixible I'm happy about it, I learnd a lot how to type minute, To sit with managenet during meeting it opened my mind. Mangement of Thekwini Municipaliy got open door policy compared where I'm coming from they gave staff opportunity to learn give them chance to be Supervisors to gain own experience.My collegues we worked as team of which I;m happy about that. My hardest party of my job to do report every month since I'm Secretary of The Manager so she gave me chance to things on my own but I'm happy because I' also learning.Enjoyable part is that I've got flexible time, my collegues I very nice and my manager is down to earth I love my job so much
Challenging and fun
Accreditation and Monitoring Officer (Current Employee), Durban, ZNMay 9, 2014
Pros: flexibility in decision making
Cons: rigidity of some systems
- Importance of maintaing constant communication with stakeholders through electronic communication, telephones written correspondance and face-to-face communication

- Frequent intteraction with management to resolve work related issues and to give and receive suggestions for iimproving work performance

- Mutual respect from co-workers and good teamwork spirirt

- Contonuosly challenged to provide accurate and legally compliant advice on issues related to Supply Chain Management and Compliance Monitoring

- Conducting research, report writing and attending meetings for line-departments with intetion to provide SCM related advice.
my carrier path
Admninistration Clerk/Receptionist (Former Employee), kwazulu nata;May 6, 2014
Pros: free gifts
Cons: not even a minute late
do not take personal issues when you going to work. i learned a lot because i was working with older people in terms of professionalism,accuracy and time management, my co-workers were very useful especially because i was doing my in-service training. the hardest part when someone from outside is going to ask you about something you do not know and you have to immediately assist. it was enjoyable because i was learning something new every day

1 2 3 4

About Ethekwini Municipality

eThekwini is the largest City in this province and the third largest city in the country. It is a sophisticated cosmopolitan city – Read more

Ethekwini Municipality Photos