Ethekwini Municipality Employee Reviews

productive and fun workplace
inservice trainee (Former Employee) –  KwazuluNatal, durban6 February 2018
it was great, the staff is friendly and professional. I've learnt filing, contracts, capturing using different systems. their culture was great because they greet one each other. the management was to good because they were accessible and share information to their staff well. the hardest part was to come early if you want to leave early and you need to be fast on learning their system. in Durban KwazuluNatal
Pros
free lunch
Cons
Fun and unpredictable workplace while you know your expected deliverables
Forensic Investigator (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal31 January 2018
Exciting work environment. The challenge of managing journalists and politicians trying to influence investigations was enjoyable.

There was no typical day at work. What was enjoyable was that you might walk into the office and discover that a presentation had been scheduled and the individual scheduled for that presentation is sick or had been allocated to another project and you have to step up to the plate. or a trap had to be set and senior management had decided that you are the best person to set up and implement that trap and it is going down in less than an hour.

The challenging part was to lead evidence that has an adverse effect on the management of a position you had just applied for.
Pros
unpredictability
Cons
Long hours, danger
Fun workplacw
Trainee Accountant (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal29 January 2018
Ethekwini is a nice place to work at. It give you all the benefit to know work nd it put your benefit first. It five you all the skills you need as an employee
Pros
Free lunch
Government job
Senior Administration Clerk (Former Employee) –  South Africa, Durban.24 January 2018
eThekwini Municipality was a government internship. There wasn't much of a competition, but there was a lot of job to do. Having to deal with the community on daily basis.
Pros
Free chocolate
Cons
Short breaks
Great learning experience, wonderful staff to work with, high value of community participation.
Graduate Experiential Learners Programme (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal23 January 2018
The level of rendering services to the public is very high. Attention to complaints and solving them is very important to all DSW staff. Great team work within the entire department.
Working at Ethekwini
Mr (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal11 January 2018
My stay at Ethekwini Municipality was very fruitful and I enjoyed the benefits. Staff was friendly and co operative. As we reached the end of a period where many staff members had to retire and was replaced with new staff that placed us as administrators under tremendous pressure as these young staff did not come with the cultures and background that was desired in team building sprirt
of the Ethekwini Region.
Pros
Unlimited leave
Cons
Political
insightful
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal9 January 2018
i worked as a sub-contractor through Mvubu Electrical. it would not be fair for me to review the municipality as i am not familiar with their work ethics.
fun work place
Accident Coder (Current Employee) –  KwaZulu-Natal8 January 2018
i always look forward to a brand new day at work, as i start my work 07H15, i prepare the work for the day as we work on targets, after preparing my work for the day, i make myself a cup of coffee then get on [with my work, which can be challenging but the environment i work under makes my job rather fun and easy, because we alsway assist each other, and our management is always assisting.
There is a room to learn more
Senior Work Study Officer (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal8 January 2018
Resistance to change.
Team building.
The management is very supportive.
Workplace is unionized.
Meet the deadline.
Implementing my recommendations and service delivery be improved.
Pros
There is a room for growth.
Cons
Systems in place are not user friendly.
Excellent
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal6 January 2018
Provide a highest standard working equipment. Monitor performance of every one. Provides excellent training. Give promotional chances. They give you professional staff while they train you. As a mentor you get an excellent knowledge and assess you whether you understand the whole job process.
Pros
Own lunch
Cons
Normal hours

Want to know more about Ethekwini Municipality?

Ask a question
productive and well co-ordinated
Administration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kloof, KwaZulu-Natal6 January 2018
I learned many things during my work with the Municipality. Excellent foreground to move forward in life. However lacked acknowledging or crediting good work achievements.
Empowering
Graduate trainee (Geographic Information (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal4 December 2017
the company is very empowering as it employs all kinds of people in all walks of life. from the least qualified to the most qualified. it is able to join these unique people for a common goal, which is to provide public services.
Secure Job but not for the ambitious
Senior Civil Engineer (Former Employee) –  Durban2 December 2017
Comfortable job, good benefits and very secure. However, the red tap is overwhelming, making processes slow. The management structures are poor and the organisation cannot fluidly adapt to current situations. Furthermore, the structure is rigid and the opportunity for advancement is limited.
Pros
Benefits. Work/life balance
Cons
Red-tape, management, room for growth
a great work place and with a high profile
she rep (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal26 November 2017
The team members a inspiring and the management is pefect even the benefits are great and I learned how to treat my colleagues with great respect but the environment was too much for me.
Pros
transport allowance
Cons
double shifts
Provides satisfactory impetus for start-up with one's career.
Senior Management Advisor (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal22 November 2017
The vision of eThekwini Municipality is to be the most caring and liveable City. Management and employees are driven by this vision on daily basis, trying to lead towards the attainment of this strategic goal. eThekwini Municipality is the economic hub of KwaZulu-Natal Province and contributes a significant ratio in the National Gross Domestic Product, hence I have learned that I need to be ahead in almost everything I do because any form of complacency might not only have negative spin -offs for me alone but for almost the whole nation. The hardest part of the job is to respond positively to the rapidly changing political dynamics of the organisation. The most enjoyable part is when the organisation achieves a clean audit and achieve awards through our collective efforts including myself.
Pros
Better salaries and benefits by comparison standards.
Cons
Absence of lean organisational structures, thereby impacting on the speedy delivery of services due to bureaucratic red tape.
Productive and monotonous
Business Development Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal21 November 2017
The work is scheduled and pre-planned for each week, including business consultations/meeting; business advisory services and research to identify access to market platforms.
One learns extensive stakeholder management, be it local or international. Management is well versed in Economic and Community development as most of the programs are aimed at driving economic activities.
The workplace culture predominantly promotes services to the general EThekwini Municipality community as well as improving business activities within the municipality.
The hardest part of the job is striking a balance between economic vs political viability of the projects that are meant to benefit the various communities with the municipality.
The most fulfilling part of the job is seeing the implementation of projects exceeding expectations by the targeted communities and witnessing self sustainability in the various projects.
Pros
Exposure to various projects and expertise
Cons
Limited budget for projects, long hours
It was always like working with great friends
Special Projects Senior Draftsman (Former Employee) –  Durban, South Africa14 November 2017
My manager always took a personal interest in her staff and still keeps in contact with me after almost 13 years after I left to immigrate to Australia. When I relocated to Australia in 2006, I recruited three of my old colleagues to come and join me. That is how closely we worked together and how much we enjoyed the working environment.
Pros
Great team of people to work with
Cons
Very few opportunities to progress.
limted growth
Administration Officer (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal10 November 2017
It allows you to be innovative as there is still a lot to be done
but you require management support for you to be heard.
little growth opportunities, excellent pay and change to work overtime.

company invest a lot in training its employees and respect their employees
Pros
job security
Cons
long hours and limited growth
It is well productive company but i am willing to gain more knowledge as I grow up
Shift assistant (Current Employee) –  Durban North, KwaZulu-Natal24 October 2017
I am a young lady who is humble and willing to learn. I can work as team or individual and I have a good approach when it comes to other people. I'm humble and easily approached. My company taught me a lot. I have learned to respect other people. The only hardest part of my job is that I work six weekends before i get the long weekend.
Cons
Good
Executive Project Administrator (Current Employee) –  Durban5 October 2017
Management style is highly autocratic. Leaving a lot of workers in a vulnerable position.
The hardest part of the job is having to execute highly professional work at last minute.
I enjoyed having a lot of freedom to do things the way I see them, and see them through to the end, having all the resources needed to ensure the work is well accomplished.
I enjoyed working through their efficient systems, although they are sometimes slower than I need them to be.
Pros
Lots of free lunches, flexi work time
Cons
Sharing office space