Ethekwini Municipality

Ethekwini Municipality Employee Reviews in South Africa

fun place and productive
Administration Clerk (Internship Programme) (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-NatalMarch 17, 2016
my days at work was always busy, and i learned how to use the oracle system for the council, management was very good working under them, even my co-workers was very polite. the hardest part of the job comes when it was a submission time, its where i always a problem due to delaying of submission by other departments. the most enjoyable part of the job was working alone in the office having your own computer, it was a nice feeling
Pros
not working on weekands& plubic holidays
Data Capturer (Former Employee) –  Durban, ZNNovember 30, 2015
Fun and exhausting
Learned patiency
Good management
Office politics but good to work with
Working at an open space is quiet challenging.
Having to finish your deadlines.
Pros
Experience
Cons
I really enjoyed being part of Communications Unit Family enjoyed my job and my stay while it lasted wouldn't mind getting a job at EThekwini Municipa
Internship (Former Employee) –  Durban, ZNJanuary 15, 2016
I was normally busy at work my day was fun never bored. Learned how to deal with difficult clients, working with a team, under pressure,deadlines and executed all my work on time everyday. Management was great, so as co-workers we were like a family. Can't say it was the hardest part of the job Punctuality, eye for detail, good communication and professionalism was much needed. As much as I was an Intern enjoyed my job there were challenges of coarse but what kept me going was I do my work properly and deliver best work on time and it worked for me. What I enjoyed most was Attending meetings, Issuing Media Invitations, Preparing Press Releases Organising Events and having to attend it, to see the excellent execution of part of my work was priceless.
Pros
Professional
Cons
accurate
One of teh best Unit to work for in the Municipality
Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Durban, ZNNovember 12, 2015
Inform management about the intention to conduct depot or site inspections or survey. communicate with workers on site. prepare for health and safety trainings scheduled by EMA.
The health and safety is not only the responsibility of one party, all parties in the organization must adopt the system. management to budget more funds on health and safety matters.
Management has an open door policy.
Best people to work with.
when recommendations done by myself if they are not implemented by management because of budget constrains.
The trust my management have on me to conduct my work without being micro managed
Pros
Breakfast meetings
Cons
Recommendations take long to be implemented
Learning more things each and everyday.
Principal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-NatalDecember 28, 2015
I came to work and check my boss's diary, take out any files that he might need for the day. Arrange other appointments and do normal office job.

I have learned that when it comes to management you have to be proactive and think a step ahead.

The most difficult thing is to make a decision on behalf of your boss especially if he is not there and you are not sure of what he would have wanted.
Enjyable and resourceful
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-NatalMarch 10, 2016
On a typical day at work I would arrive at 09:00 for a shift that begins at 10:00 and ends at 17:00 to switch on machinery and prepare the library for use.

Working at an Ethekwini Municipality library got me exposed and accustomed to various kinds of people and various personality types which was a much needed tool for me to progress in any sphere of life.

Our manager was a man of integrity, a good example-setter and very responsible.

My co-workers were friendly people for as long as we did not cross one another's colleagueship boundaries.

The hardest part of the job was to deal with patrons who were suspected of theft in the library.

The most enjoyable part of the job was having a colleague who lived near the area of our library who would invite us on weekends after work to traditional events they were hosting at their places of residence (where we would often feast on traditionally slaughtered meat and dumplings).
Pros
Perfect working ours
Cons
Working at a library as a general assistant does not offer enough of a challenge
Town Planner
Senior Technical Planner (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-NatalMay 12, 2016
Undertake spatial and regional planning on a city wide level over the medium and long term phases.
Ability to work with various department to structure an area.
The hardest part is trying to incorparate the community wants with the proposed budget for the area.
The best part is going out on site and and being able to develop a vacant piece of land into something tangible.
Pros
engage with communities during the planning stages
Cons
minimum implementation of plans
the most learning and enjoyable department to be in.
IT support (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-NatalFebruary 8, 2016
very friendly people knowing what their doing and it a good place to get experience most of my management and troubleshooting part i got from that company.
Fun and friendly workplace
Pool Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-NatalApril 21, 2016
The day starts with admin by signing on the staff thereby performing management functions to my co-workers who rely on myself for guidance throughout the day as i have to assign duties as and when i see fit.The hardest part of my job is to be responsible for each and every individual that is with my designated work area by ensuring their safety and security at all times, the most enjoyable part will have to be the meeting of new people each and every day.
Product and Fun
Web Content Administrator and Online Journalist (Former Employee) –  ZNJanuary 13, 2016
I started working here as an intern. This was the company that gave me the initial start to my career. I enjoyed working with the joyful bunch of people.

I learnt a lot from my manager. She was a true motivator.
stressfull and learning environment
Acting call centre supervisor (Current Employee) –  kwaZulu NatalAugust 11, 2015
on a typical day we receive a over 1000 calls and about 500 of those calls are repeat calls where there are follow ups that need to be done and escalations to different departments concerning different faults. The environment itself is the most best where there are different involvements and new learning possibilities. its like a second home. This is more of a developmental post that i was given and management has given us a platform to prove our values and management levels. The most hardest of this job is when you don't receive the right info to liaise with the consumer and give necessary feedback.
Pros
learning oppotunities
Cons
lack of information and feedback
Excellent Learning
Senior Water Quality Officer (Current Employee) –  Durban, ZNJune 9, 2015
Great place to work. One can learn alot however there are not enough ooportunities to progress. Often too much politics result in unfairness. very stable and secure environment. One finds it hard in this specific job to apply the knowledge gained at engineering degree level.
Pros
Great benefits, good security
Cons
Not enough application. Customers can be rather rude.
productive and fun place to work in
HR Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  Durban, ZNOctober 13, 2015
Ethekwini Municipality is a pleasent work environment. I had learnt a lot working in the Human Resources Department for the various Departments. I had worked for more than 15 years and personally need to grow even if it means in another organisation.
benefits
Cons
growth
Challenging and rewarding
Business Continuity Advisor (Current Employee) –  Durban, ZNJuly 20, 2015
A typical day starts with a status update meeting and then update the weekly task plan and targets. I have learned that not every individual thinks the same as you do and that you need to continuously improve ones people skills to be able to sell an idea and get buy-in from all relevant key players. The hardest part is the availability of senior officials who need to set the tone for their workforce in order to make the work seamless. The best part is knowing that you have contribute to improving the lives of the ordinary citizens
Pros
Diverse culture
Cons
Unplanned ad hoc meeting after hours
Working with wonderful people
admin assistant (Former Employee) –  Tongaat, KwaZulu-NatalNovember 29, 2015
Handling all the administration for 3 building inspectors and the supervisor in charge of the Tongaat region. Learnt new things on a daily basis as the individuals I worked with were very experienced and intelligent people.
Pros
wroking with amazing people
Cons
had to relocate
Service Delivery
Senior Clerk (Current Employee) –  Durban, ZNSeptember 16, 2015
Its a fun working environment as I was able to assist people on a daily basis. I enjoy working with collegues and learning from them, we brainstorm idead on how to improve ourselves.
Pros
Flexibility
Acting Allocations Officer
Acting allocations officer (Former Employee) –  durban centralOctober 10, 2012
Meeting different kinds of people mainly dealing with people from informal settlement from diverse cultures, The hardest part of the job was when an individual is an applicant for an RDP house and they do not qualify and as an official could not give them a house. Management very supportive, attending to community meetings and addressing the public on the process of applying for an RDP house and the qualifying criteria.
Pros
seeing an informal settlement area being developed to a formal settlement area
Cons
long hours and dealing with politicians
Great working environment
Estates Officer (Current Employee) –  Durban, ZNApril 7, 2015
A very rewarding job when targets are met timeously and all parties concerned are happy.
Excellent management and co-workers. Good training provided on an on-going basis.
Pros
Great job security
Cons
The pain an expropriation can sometimes cause to an expropriatee.
Fun Workplace
Principal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Durban, ZNAugust 19, 2015
My colleagues are the best, we are a family which is what makes if fun.

Doing my daily duties now comes naturally for me as i have been doing them for years, which is why I need the change. My managers are very supportive and kind which makes it easier to be productive. Compliments are given when due.

I came to this company as a baby and I have grown to be a smart and professional women and I will always appreciate the Legal Service Team for teaching me.

I would definitely miss the parties we have time and time to unite us.
Pros
lots of events
Very Productive company
Environmental Health -Community Service (Former Employee) –  Durban, ZNOctober 19, 2015
I always wanted to work for a company that I will be able to grow and be independent , EThekwini Municipality gave me that opportunity.