Ethekwini Municipality

Ethekwini Municipality Employee Reviews

experience and growth opportunity
Contract Administrator (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal9 September 2016
Learnt that everything is possible to do as long as you have a passion and willing to learn, I studied finance courses but got employed in construction department, which was different from theory gain from tertiary.

Co-workers are good team players which makes work more efficient because department that I am working in,requires individuals to be team players.

A good manager is a manager who respects and listen to employees opinions, my current senior manager have those skills she listens to our point of view regardless of the positions we hold and that gives confidence to staff to express themselves

What I enjoy more about my Job, is meeting new people since I am dealing with the public I deal with different people, different departments, etc. .we always have something new to learn from another person, I really enjoy that the most.
Pros
Benefits:medical aid, pension fund, assisted education
Hard working environment
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal7 January 2017
Productive daily, staff are very hard working and ambitious. Learning to work in teams is essential as team work and good co worker relations is encouraged.
Pros
Training programes are provided to staff such as First Aid.
Cons
Salary does not reflect work load.
Energetic, vibrant and rewarding workplace
Secretary/PA (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal10 October 2016
Dynamic environment, productive. Very informative. Great studying opportunities. Honorable to serve the public. Fulfilling with great benefits and stability. Room for growth within the department and throughout.
Pros
13th cheque, leave days per month
Cons
Open throughout the year (festive season)
productive and well planned
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  kzn26 January 2017
A productive well organized day. There is something to learn everyday. Management they are doing what they can. Its a good working culture but I want more Im tired of doing the same thing everyday.Its to work without necessary resources. when Customers are happy and when they are stating the reason they not happy with the service I have rendered because its a learning curve I learn day In day out.
Pros
time off
Cons
Productive organization full of exciting colleagues dedicated in their work
Public Relations Officer (Former Employee) –  Durban, KZN20 January 2017
I've obtained and imparted expertise. Cultivated positive relationship with the community through public relations campaigns, coached less experienced public relations staff members on corporate communications practices. Established cooperative relationship with representatives of the community, consumer, employee and public interest, lastly I've managed all media press and public relations issues.
Pros
Free Coffee
Fun workplace
Senior Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal10 November 2016
Good company to work for and a lot to learn as it is very diverse and different organisation.
Sometimes very challenging with not much support from the management and the clients we support. Safety is not a priority only in papers and that's make it a huge challenge to conform.
The hardest part of the job is that the employees rely on you as a Safety Officer to ensure compliance but nothing taken seriously and you end up feeling like you have failed the employees.

We share the same sentiment with other Safety officers and that lead to high staff turn over.
I have a lot that i have learned since i have been with the organisation from negotiation skills, conflict management, chairing safety meetings, conducting trainings.

What i enjoyed the most is engaging with employees on professional and personal level
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
limited working resources
Very dirverse and much exposure
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal1 December 2016
Through this job, I have learnt a lot of departmental accounting ranging from operational and capital budget preparation, preparation of management accounts (comparative statements), being at a supervisory role and handling of over R1 billion rand budget. The environment is very friendly ,fun as well as deadline driven. I have learnt different accounting systems, ranging from JDE world, Advanced Excel, Cognos as well as advanced CQS caseware. The ongoing support from the organization on enhancing your skills was amazing.
Pros
Great Exposure
Cons
Too departmental
Good Place to Advance knowledge and work experience. in most cases work is rewarding, and talent is encouraged. Recruitment policies need a reviewed.
Human Resource Officer (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal7 November 2016
Good Team Spirit
Very well resourced environment
Cooperative governance
Good Mentorship
Good Place to Advance knowledge and work experience.
work is rewarding, and talent is encouraged.
Recruitment policies need a reviewed.
Better transition efforts need to be exercised in terms of implementation and consultation of change management.
Pros
Freedom to operate independently
Cons
Too much political involvement
Exciting&fun.
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal7 October 2016
I had a great time working as a council employee but due to unforseen circumstances I had to leave my job,I enjoyed working as a council employee the opportunity gave me a great exposure&it allowed me to grow as an individual.
I started of as a temporary employee for Parks Recreation and Culture my job title was a General Assistant and a Small Plant Operator.
Until I got a permanent job working for Finance Department my job title was a General Assistant,cleaning the offices&I also helped at the reception at times.
So I had a great time&enjoyed working there.
Pros
It gives you the opportunity to be a bread winner&allows you to grow work wise.
Cons
N/A
productive work
field worker (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal23 January 2017
It was great working there and my contract ended.I learned to work with both Managers and my colegues without any disagreement but understanding each others values. It was a multiracial ,I didnt find any job difficult.I really enjoyed working with the members of the community doing face to face interviews and filling up questionnares.
Pros
free lunches
Productive work place
Clark (Current Employee) –  KwaZulu-Natal9 November 2016
Am an internship for 2 years work as a clerk. Taking minute meeting and typing.Attending to telephone queries.Creating files after capture and do searches.Do searches Hss, windeed,home affars.Checking outlook.printing typing. Deliving a service to the beneficiaries assisting to the counter.
Pros
Lunch
Cons
Productive environment with room to grow
Mechanical Technician (Current Employee) –  Springfield Park3 January 2017
I am heavily involved in the maintenance of existing pumping equipment, and the specification of new equipment. Project work and managing contracts. Hardest part of the job is liaising with the various departments that do not have the same sense of urgency that we do. Most enjoyable part is starting a project and seeing it to fruition.
Pros
Large funding always available for projects
Cons
Delays when dealing with other departments
organisation is good, just the section i work for is not my scene
Administration Officer (Travel) (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal28 October 2016
The position is not too bad however compared to my career achivements so far, moving to this post feels like i have taken a bit of a step backwards...
Pros
learning the public sector policies
Cons
too administrative
Its was a very fun workplace to work at and the people welcomed you well when you first came to work there.
In service trainee (Former Employee) –  eThekwini, KwaZulu-Natal14 July 2016
*Its just a normal day not too hectic and everything runs smoothly
*I have learnt to work under pressure if ever l'm needed to do so and to work well with other people
*The management was hands on and they were very pleasant people to work with
*My co-workers were very helpful people
*The hardest part of the job was when l had to help a difficult customer but l over came it
*The most enjoyable part of the job the customers and co-workers are very pleasant with you
productive and very informative work place
CYBER CADET (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal18 November 2016
Being is a Cyber cadet if you are a nurse is a bit challenging but it is similar because in both you get to help with people.

My passion is to help people so i really love starting my day at 8:30 at work and working with people especially that do not have the knowledge about computers because i ensure that by the time they leave our library they are fully informed .
Graduate Trainee (Current Employee) –  Pinetown, KwaZulu-Natal29 September 2016
Exposure to various people has allowed me to enhance on my customer service skills. The different situations that I found myself in have had a great impact on developing me as the professional and successful woman that I want to be. The challenges and different exposures in various offices have added to the development and preparing me for when I eventually get a job that's in my field of study.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
No overtime
work place
Motor Mechanic in-service Training (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal14 January 2017
it was my first time working as an artisan assistant,i started working there while i was studying at coastal kzn fet college doing my level 3 Automotive repaire and maintanance corse,working there was very nice beacause of the divesity of the workplace.
fun and enjoyable
Volunteer General assistant-waste service (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal26 May 2016
Enjoyable and safe environment, i learned to interact with people sharing ideas and the importance of helping elderly people. The management was nice to work with, my co-workers were very fun to work with. No hardest part at all. The most enjoyable part was helping elderly people
Pros
Cons
No long hours
general worker (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal28 September 2016
Actually I also miss my colleagues.We were like team working hard .Even the management staff,they were like our sisters and brother.It was just that our contract was ended
Pros
few hours
Cons
It was dangerous from the criminal especially on a night shift
Good Government
community mobiliser (Former Employee) –  community participation13 January 2017
Well netted government. Creating & making an impact in communities. Great experience with diverse communities. Better understanding the municipality & acts the municipality is governed by. Phenomenal department with experienced staff.
Pros
Good work ethics
Cons
weekend work

4,0