Ethekwini Municipality

Ethekwini Municipality Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good Employer but No Management Prospects
Legal Advisor (Former Employee), Durban, ZNOctober 6, 2014
Pros: assisted education policy to develop your career
Cons: restricted to public issues only
One of the Top Municipalities in the country to work for but inadequate salary, benefits and lack of prospects of career development.
productive and fun work place
IN SERVICE TRAINEE (Former Employee), Durban, ZNOctober 5, 2014
Pros: learning new things and flexible working hours
Cons: not enough work sometimes
a typical day at work entailed dealing with the public and knowing the issues that concern them on a day to day basis. this would be done face to face or through the telephone depending on the issue at hand. furthermore Geographic Information System was a daily utility as i would use it everyday to locate vacant land and any other land that may be needed – more... for a development.
Furthermore, the land acquisition officers ,the technical and professional planners and project managers were very helpful in terms of assisting me in learning abut the work required as well as going to site visits and attending meetings.
the hardest part about the job was the lack of corporation that sometimes existed between the colleagues. All in all, i enjoyed working in the Housing Department as it helped me understand the contextual issues that exist in terms of housing and service provision in many areas. – less
Productive and very nice place and much more expireance
Senior clerk (Current Employee), Durban, ZNAugust 12, 2014
Pros: we buy food for own
Cons: 8 hours a day
Management is good,
I have leaned most of the things in deffrent departments of Finance and accounting.

The hardest part was when i started to work in the company but now everything is easy becouse it almost a years ive been working here.

The Most part of the job is when i m dealing with customers
that is the most thing i like to dealing with customers – more... becouse they are my fisrt priority

and i have leaned how to prioritise
how to meet dead lines
how to deal with customers – less
Good department to gain experience in. Helpful work colleagues.
In-service trainee (Former Employee), Durban, ZNJuly 18, 2014
Pros: staff lunches, earning a salary, meeting new people and learning new things.
The work place was a new environment, however valuable experience was gained. Although the work i did was not purely focused on town planning the knowledge i gained certainly did supplement my knowledge. The overall experience of the year was challenging but constructive at the same time.

The most enjoyable part of the job was site inspections and – more... having to travel to places that where totally out of my comfort zone. These are humbling experiences which most definitely added value and meaning the work i did in the office. – less
enjoyable
Trainee Internal Auditor (Former Employee), Durban, ZNJune 26, 2014
I gained lots of internal auditing experience, i completed a learnership
and the co-workers were easy to get along with.
A place that gives young graduates a fantastic opportunity to learn their trade in a stable work environment.
Intern (Former Employee), Durban, ZNJune 22, 2014
Pros: friday birthday lunches at the unit meeting were always a great occassion
Cons: not being allowed to drive the unit's vehicles as an intern was the only con.
As an intern each day started with media monitoring which would last up to 3 hours on some mornings, and that required a lot of concerntration and as a result my ability to concerntrate for long periods was vastly improved.

I learnt a great deal about working in the field as a journalist, although it wasn't anything similar to the pressure-cooker that – more... is working in a daily newspaper. I learnt to be comfortable with requesting interviews and doing interviews with high-profile Municipal figures such as the Mayor and Heads of Units. I also learnt to write for a particular house style, which is the norm with each different publication.

The management was fair but very demanding, which I appreciated because they let us get on with our jobs without any interference which enabled us to execute our duties without any problems.

From my fellow workers, especially the interns, I learnt how to be part of a team and to always support each other as members of a team. I learnt how to work well with co-workers in projects assigned to us by our superiors.

The hardest part about the job was when deadline day was approaching and the pressure to produce quality articles for publication was ramped up, but this was also a time I relished as I always made sure I was well prepared to handle the pressure by doing everything required of me well in advance.

The enjoyable part of the job was the rapport that was enjoyed by all and sundry in the office, as interns we were made to feel welcome and no limitations were set on the contribution we could make to the team. In short we were valued members of the workplace because of the quality of work we produced. – less
Busy,Dynamic and professional work environment
SENIOR PROFESSIONAL PLANNER (Current Employee), Durban, ZNMay 29, 2014
Pros: flexi time
Wide variety of planning applications
the work environment focases on multi skilling
Secretary (Current Employee), DurbanMay 26, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: i'm contract
Ours of work ar

e vflixible I'm happy about it, I learnd a lot how to type minute, To sit with managenet during meeting it opened my mind. Mangement of Thekwini Municipaliy got open door policy compared where I'm coming from they gave staff opportunity to learn give them chance to be Supervisors to gain own experience.My collegues we worked as team – more... of which I;m happy about that. My hardest party of my job to do report every month since I'm Secretary of The Manager so she gave me chance to things on my own but I'm happy because I' also learning.Enjoyable part is that I've got flexible time, my collegues I very nice and my manager is down to earth I love my job so much – less
Challenging and fun
Accreditation and Monitoring Officer (Current Employee), Durban, ZNMay 9, 2014
Pros: flexibility in decision making
Cons: rigidity of some systems
- Importance of maintaing constant communication with stakeholders through electronic communication, telephones written correspondance and face-to-face communication

- Frequent intteraction with management to resolve work related issues and to give and receive suggestions for iimproving work performance

- Mutual respect from co-workers and good teamwork – more... spirirt

- Contonuosly challenged to provide accurate and legally compliant advice on issues related to Supply Chain Management and Compliance Monitoring

- Conducting research, report writing and attending meetings for line-departments with intetion to provide SCM related advice. – less
my carrier path
Admninistration Clerk/Receptionist (Former Employee), kwazulu nata;May 6, 2014
Pros: free gifts
Cons: not even a minute late
do not take personal issues when you going to work. i learned a lot because i was working with older people in terms of professionalism,accuracy and time management, my co-workers were very useful especially because i was doing my in-service training. the hardest part when someone from outside is going to ask you about something you do not know and – more... you have to immediately assist. it was enjoyable because i was learning something new every day – less
Lateral and verticala development of staff is supported
Fire officer (Current Employee), Durban, ZNApril 27, 2014
Employer encourages and supports both lateral and vertical development of all employees.
At Work
Senior IT Support Officer (Former Employee), Durban, ZNMarch 26, 2014
Pros: we had braais
Cons: we had to work over time after hours
Every day in the IT field one learns new things and I had fun working there because it feels great when people are relying on you to be able to access their computers. I enjoyed almost everyday at work because my work was always up-to-date, even though it wasn't any easy Dept to work because Management there and other staff members were not Qualified – more... for their top positions. It was unfortunate for me being a Black South African amongst a White and Indian dominated Dept. I became a threat to Management because of my fair Qualifications and I was not their favourite person – less
INTERN (Former Employee), Durban, ZNMarch 20, 2014
Pros: gained a huge amount of knowledge and experience.
Cons: none.
i did carry out this internship at no financial cost to the council and did not get salary.
Productive and learning new techniques
Research Student (Current Employee), Durban, ZNMarch 10, 2014
I learned the tender process of advertising publicly a contract to various suppliers and getting different quotes, then selecting the less expensive supplier. This is a good project management skill.
The management required results and works hard in achieving the organization's goals or tasks. The co-workers were very cooperative and friendly on a personal – more... level.
The hardest part of the job was to balance deliverables and deadlines on the EU front and the academic requirements on the University front even though these were somehow dependant. The most enjoyable part was that i was always gaining experience in filed work and getting the chance to see the differences between tertiary instituitions and industry-based tasks. – less
A pleasant atmosphere with lots of learning opportunities
Trainee Network Analyst (Former Employee), Durban, ZNMarch 10, 2014
Pros: training was provided
This was to date the best place I have worked in. It provided me with a solid platform for learning and applying my skills accordingly.

A typical day included installing Cisco switches and routers, cutover of sites to the metro connect fibre network, troubleshooting WAN and LAN faults logged and active monitoring of network devices at sites to name – more... a few.

I learned how to effectively plan for, configure, install, troubleshoot, and monitor LAN infrastructure for medium to large networks as well as learn the various products and vendor solutions available to industry.

I had supportive and easy going co-workers who contributed collectively to the running of the department.

The hardest part of the job was keeping to effective time management as we were a team of around 15 managing a network consisting of 400+ sites with the most enjoyable part of the job being my day to day tasks and working with Cisco technologies. – less
Productive and friendly workplace
Principal Clerk (Former Employee), Durban, ZNFebruary 26, 2014
I enjoyed working there people where helpful and friendly . I learned how to use the MIMS system .

Management were always willing to listen if there was a problem.

co-workers were helpful.

getting the queries sorted on time for payment runs.

when an account was up to date.
PLEASANT WORKPLACE
PRINCIPAL BUILDING INSPECTOR (Current Employee), Durban, ZNFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: friendly enviroment
Cons: tools
ASSESSING AND PLANNING FOR THE DAY
SERVICE DELIVERY IS A PRIORITY
MANAGEMENT IS ACCESSIBLE
OPERATE AS A TEAM- MOTIVATED
TRYING TO PLEASE THE PUBLIC
ACHIEVING THE GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
productive
Receptionist (Former Employee), Durban, ZNFebruary 25, 2014
start by checking the diary, updating and sending out acknowledgements letters.
Productive and fun work place
Word Processing Operatro (Former Employee), Durban, ZNFebruary 12, 2014
There was no time to sit around and do nothing. Back to back meetings, lots of typing and arranging for the meeting. I had so much fun here. I learned a lot of things with this company including politics which I had never payed attention on.
Very productive, and fun to work for.
Personal Assistant (Former Employee), Durban, ZNFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: limited benefits.
Working monday to friday, is a huge advantage, co-workers were friendly and accomodative. I learned a lot was given a chance to network and learn more about the government industry.

1 2 3 4

About Ethekwini Municipality

eThekwini is the largest City in this province and the third largest city in the country. It is a sophisticated cosmopolitan city – Read more

Ethekwini Municipality Photos