Ethekwini Municipality Employee Reviews

limted growth
Administration Officer (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal10 November 2017
It allows you to be innovative as there is still a lot to be done
but you require management support for you to be heard.
little growth opportunities, excellent pay and change to work overtime.

company invest a lot in training its employees and respect their employees
Pros
job security
Cons
long hours and limited growth
It is well productive company but i am willing to gain more knowledge as I grow up
Shift assistant (Current Employee) –  Durban North, KwaZulu-Natal24 October 2017
I am a young lady who is humble and willing to learn. I can work as team or individual and I have a good approach when it comes to other people. I'm humble and easily approached. My company taught me a lot. I have learned to respect other people. The only hardest part of my job is that I work six weekends before i get the long weekend.
Cons
Good
Executive Project Administrator (Current Employee) –  Durban5 October 2017
Management style is highly autocratic. Leaving a lot of workers in a vulnerable position.
The hardest part of the job is having to execute highly professional work at last minute.
I enjoyed having a lot of freedom to do things the way I see them, and see them through to the end, having all the resources needed to ensure the work is well accomplished.
I enjoyed working through their efficient systems, although they are sometimes slower than I need them to be.
Pros
Lots of free lunches, flexi work time
Cons
Sharing office space
productive and fun work place
Senior Clerk (outages) (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal5 October 2017
it is very important to understand different kinds of people, its makes things easy for you to get your work done and enjoy your work place. u must know your position and try to excel at what you good at
Pros
we had a very nice kitchen
Cons
shifts
Productive and fun
Principal Clerk (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Durban, Pinetown22 September 2017
Doing my internship to the municipality was a tremendous honour. It had helped me unwind alot of potential in me and I got to understand the coperate world better. I learnt alot of customers services tactics and other diversified skills.
Pros
Free transportation to events
Cons
Short hours
Productive and also well educating, and skill upgrader workplace
Temporary assistant (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal6 September 2017
Most of the available offers along the workplace are beneficial, and most especially when it comes to how the work is done... i full recomend it's a good workplace
Pros
Anytime off dates
Cons
Short hours
Technician Training
Technician in Training (In-Service Trainee) (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal1 September 2017
Construction, planning, design and inspection responsibility for the street lighting department. Upgrading of Conducting acceptance testing on all new equipment purchased, i.e. minisubstations, transformers, ring main panels, autoreclosers, sectionaliser and motors in the workshop or onsite, prior to it being handed over to stores. I carried out repairs and overhauls to transformers, minisubstations circuit breaker in the workshop. Set up and operate test equipment to evaluate performance of developmental parts, assemblies, or systems under simulated operating conditions, and record results. Effective maintenance and repair of protection equipment at all MV and HV substations according to stipulated maintenance guidelines. I provided technical assistance and resolution when electrical or engineering problems are encountered before, during, and after construction.
Pros
Development
Cons
Unpaid
interesting and enjoyable
Senior / Cluster Librarian (Current Employee) –  KwaZulu-Natal29 August 2017
* Attend scheduled meetings, attend community planned events, staff training, writing reports, visit library branches, organise public participation, marketing and promotion of library services.

* Library and information science, communication, research methodologies, management.

* I occupy middle management position, manage staff, manage allocated budget, manage eThekwini Municipality assets.

* The hardest part of my job involves community participation, meeting different communities with different needs.

* The most enjoyable part of my job is to see and evaluate the impact my department towards community.
Pros
Good working conditions
Cons
Working on weekends
Controlled by politics
Senior Clerk (Health) (Current Employee) –  Verulam, KwaZulu-Natal17 August 2017
Maintain a fighting and never giving up method for job enhancement. There is a growing culture of unionists that are always trying to over throw each other especially within higher positions
Benefits
Cons
Politics
We deal with community's service
Site operator (Current Employee) –  Durban11 August 2017
I am under the department of roads and storm water maintenance ,unit engineering .DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF MY POST....Discusses and participates in the preparation of the work inspection/verification programme by....interacting with work scheduler as necessary on reported repair work, interacting as necessary with superintendent, engaging on the approach and plan for inspection /verification activities including the allocation of personnel for assistance ,giving consideration during the planning to priorities, backlog and timing of maintenance work based on information obtained from the work management system
Pros
Tea-time and lunch
Cons
8hours

Want to know more about Ethekwini Municipality?

Ask a question
productive and fun place to work at.
Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal9 August 2017
Working for EThekwini water services was a good experience, working as a liaison between the municipality and the community and helping where needed..
Pros
when working extra hours
Cons
overtime
productive and free spirited at work
water pollution inspector (Former Employee) –  kzn3 August 2017
Inspect,investigate and trace ingress of storm water
Compile visuals in order to analyse non compliance
Jit delivery service to client
Compiling various reports for management
Monthly vehicle inspection
Pros
days off sick benefits advance leeve booking
Potivive work environment
PA (Current Employee) –  Durban2 August 2017
good company to work for gaining ot of experience and exposure, there is career growth and better position for younger generations and salary is good for all employees
Bearable
Principal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Durban1 August 2017
Typical work day one comes in with nothing to do. Not much growth everything is relaxed and staff is very friendly. there is no challenge. it is no place for someone who is career orientated and looking to learn and grow.
I love working for my company and it has given me a wide exposure to the work environment but I feel I am ready for change
Acting HR Officer (Current Employee) –  Durban19 July 2017
We work from 7 am till 4 pm. Our HR systems are structured in a way that we all do specialised duties, e.g. Payroll section, Talent Management, Recruitment section, Performance Manangent. There is also Occopational Health (specialises in sick leave management), Wellness section and they both work closely with HR. Management work closely with HR (as we are their business partners. Our main function include advising line management on policies & procedures as well as ensuring that consistency is applied at all times.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
performance rewards does not seem to motivate hard workers
Productive, just fun
Small Plant Operator, working with electricians. (Current Employee) –  Durban North, KwaZulu-Natal12 July 2017
Typical day at work, it was a very bad for. That was a shortlisting day and unfortunately my name never got shortlisted because they just assumed that I did not meet all the requirements that time.
I learned that if you do not open your mind and mouth some times you will ended up get nothing.
Management does their jobs but some time they do not think much of the general workers and they are the ones who does the production done at the end of the day, they should take good care of them as they do to each other.
The hardest part of the job is when one of the team got injured or got burnt by electricity and tomorrow you have to wake up and go do your work as normal.
Enjoyable part is when we work as a team especial when we are on standby and working night shift and we got all the material we need, everything is going very well.
Pros
Free lunches for our superiours from contractors, yes.
Cons
Long hours yes we get them, we got standbys every after 6weeks.
Excellent environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  eThekwini Municipality28 June 2017
Set-up for the day with controlling opening of facility and doing a site inspection.
General assessment of the water levels, colour of the water etc.
Checking if the we have enough staff available on duty and ensuring that they are all wearing PPE and are in line with health and safety standards as set by the act.
Signing on staff and myself.
Check previous days' filtration records and adjust chemicals and tanks accordingly.
Opening the facility to public once safety has been established.
Supervision of staff and contractors through-out the day.
Supervising bathing public and providing first aid where applicable.
Taking instructions and information from superiors.
Stock control and maintenance records.
Liaising with members of public.
Pros
Great working environment.
Cons
Crowded pools
Edutainment
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durban North, KwaZulu-Natal22 June 2017
It was a kind of a work place where you always learn something new each and every day. You are exposed to a diversified staff as well as customers the only thing is that you must teach yourself to be dynamic and flexible.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No Overtimes
Productive and Fun workplace
Fleet Officer (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal14 June 2017
It is a place whereby one can grow professionally because we are given all resources to do our jobs things like Laptops,stationary and vehicles to visits sites of depots.

Having the opportunity to live in a cultural diverse society has really empowered and enriched me with a vast reservoir of knowledge to effectively deal with individual differences.

Management is very transparent and operate in a professional manner.

The hardest part of the job is when the Bus drivers decide to go on a strike and we need to outsource the special hire at the last moment where we need to get three quotes and follow all supply chain processes within a short period of time.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when we get complimented for the job well done by our Heads and Deputy Heads.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
it was a relaxed working environment but with defined duties
Small Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal8 June 2017
the supervisor will assign us sites that we need to work on and where he requires detail of job execution. Daily monitoring and reporting of tasks. We worked under minimal supervision but with clear duties. I was also gradually introduced to horticulture and report writing for our department.
Pros
Secure job
Cons
Routine work thereby not giving me a challenge