Ethekwini Municipality Employee Reviews

Productive, just fun
Small Plant Operator, working with electricians. (Current Employee) –  Durban North, KwaZulu-Natal12 July 2017
Typical day at work, it was a very bad for. That was a shortlisting day and unfortunately my name never got shortlisted because they just assumed that I did not meet all the requirements that time.
I learned that if you do not open your mind and mouth some times you will ended up get nothing.
Management does their jobs but some time they do not think much of the general workers and they are the ones who does the production done at the end of the day, they should take good care of them as they do to each other.
The hardest part of the job is when one of the team got injured or got burnt by electricity and tomorrow you have to wake up and go do your work as normal.
Enjoyable part is when we work as a team especial when we are on standby and working night shift and we got all the material we need, everything is going very well.
Pros
Free lunches for our superiours from contractors, yes.
Cons
Long hours yes we get them, we got standbys every after 6weeks.
Excellent environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  eThekwini Municipality28 June 2017
Set-up for the day with controlling opening of facility and doing a site inspection.
General assessment of the water levels, colour of the water etc.
Checking if the we have enough staff available on duty and ensuring that they are all wearing PPE and are in line with health and safety standards as set by the act.
Signing on staff and myself.
Check previous days' filtration records and adjust chemicals and tanks accordingly.
Opening the facility to public once safety has been established.
Supervision of staff and contractors through-out the day.
Supervising bathing public and providing first aid where applicable.
Taking instructions and information from superiors.
Stock control and maintenance records.
Liaising with members of public.
Pros
Great working environment.
Cons
Crowded pools
Edutainment
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durban North, KwaZulu-Natal22 June 2017
It was a kind of a work place where you always learn something new each and every day. You are exposed to a diversified staff as well as customers the only thing is that you must teach yourself to be dynamic and flexible.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No Overtimes
Productive and Fun workplace
Fleet Officer (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal14 June 2017
It is a place whereby one can grow professionally because we are given all resources to do our jobs things like Laptops,stationary and vehicles to visits sites of depots.

Having the opportunity to live in a cultural diverse society has really empowered and enriched me with a vast reservoir of knowledge to effectively deal with individual differences.

Management is very transparent and operate in a professional manner.

The hardest part of the job is when the Bus drivers decide to go on a strike and we need to outsource the special hire at the last moment where we need to get three quotes and follow all supply chain processes within a short period of time.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when we get complimented for the job well done by our Heads and Deputy Heads.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
it was a relaxed working environment but with defined duties
Small Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal8 June 2017
the supervisor will assign us sites that we need to work on and where he requires detail of job execution. Daily monitoring and reporting of tasks. We worked under minimal supervision but with clear duties. I was also gradually introduced to horticulture and report writing for our department.
Pros
Secure job
Cons
Routine work thereby not giving me a challenge
administration clerk
Administration Clerk (Intern) (Former Employee) –  KwaZulu-Natal Durban25 May 2017
It was wonderful and amazing working atethekwini municipality. We worked well together.
But the girl i worked with, treated me badly. She did the same job as me but, she acted like my boss. The salary was not enough. And i was not working permanently.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
i don't understand what I have to write here
Generally,there was good experience,challenges resulting to work development
Acting Deputy sister-in-charge (Former Employee) –  Impola Clinic9 May 2017
TYPICAL DAY-prepargoodation:stock,staff supervision and allocation
LEARNED:Made sure the clinic functioned well
MANAGEMENT:staff conflicts,staff key performance
HARDEST JOB PART:productivity,quality inspite of staff shortage
MOST ENJOYABLE PART:seeing clients happy and recovered/problems solved
Pros
Day duty and no night duty
Cons
Overcrowding with staff shortage
unfortunately I'm not in a productive department but it's an amazing workplace platform.
firefighter (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal6 May 2017
First and foremost you have too love what you doing,I loved to be a firefighter.being in that particular department is an honour it filled with respect love and enjoyment,since it is semi military.
Pros
no free lunch
Cons
yep long hours off work
professional nurse (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal4 May 2017
I love the working environment and opportunities since its a one stop shop. Sometimes I feel limited.what I don't like is the attitudes of the manager's if you are capable for example have same or more qualifications they feel threatened and bully you
Pros
Learning opportunities
Cons
Managent skills poor
Productive and innovative working environment
Senior Professional Planner (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal26 April 2017
• Advising developers, public, government organizations, parastatals, NGO’s, Council and internal departments on development processes and planning policies.
Pros
Quality of life
Cons
Long distance from core family
Team work
General Assistant-Pharmacy (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal19 April 2017
I am an honest hard worker who is willing an eager to earn more.I am helping in capturing patients files also filing,photocopying and faxing.Also answering telephone calls
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Paid overtimes
productive and fun workplace
sale executive (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal18 April 2017
To provide an efficient deliver services to the municipality .Deliver and collect mail /document distribute all correspondence to unit staff.responsible for tea making and preparering. Refreshment
Pros
free lunch
Cons
long hour
fun work place
building inspector (Current Employee) –  KwaZulu-Natal31 March 2017
the most enjoable part of the job is that we work out on site and come back afternoon at office condacting inspections. the hardest part is when you are dealing with a difficult client. I've learne to be calm when you facing diffucult client because at times they swear at you but you have tobe calm.
Pros
45 munites lunch
Cons
40 hours per week
An ambitious Person
Senior Commitee Officer (Current Employee) –  KwaZulu Natal Durban30 March 2017
Success-orientated with high energy and positive attitude, with a strong sense of responsibility and self-motivation, great problem solver and team player with the ability to work independently
Pros
conjusive working environment
Cons
Flexibility
big learning and professional organisation
HR Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal23 March 2017
I am currently working at EThekwini Municipality and I have completed a year but I have learned a lot in terms of gaining an experience of strong administration skills, handling customer complains, interviewing skills, initiating disciplinary enquiry, capturing accuracy information in a system, etc. The most enjoyable part at work is when we go to consultative meeting, training, we assist employees and the recruitment process. My job is not hard because I can handle very well working under pressure and I can meet deadlines
Productive and fun
field worker supervisor (Former Employee) –  KwaZulu-Natal22 March 2017
At the time of my employment here i learnt alot about people skills and co-operation not only as employee but also working with the public. As you know Ethekwini Municipality is very broad and not everyone understands that there is different departments but aspects you to have an answer for every question that they may have.
Ethekwini municipality is a great company to work for as you are engaging with different people every day and that entails different challenges.
Pros
Knowlwedge
Cons
Takes too long to resolve queries/ Efficiency is lacking
Principal Clerk (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal4 March 2017
Ethekwini Municipality is a good industry the only thing is does it's limits your exposure and interms of promotion not quiet good.

Interms of productive it delivers since we mostly deal with the public and internal customers.

On the fun working place it's tries by all means to create an enjoyable and fun place by having team buildings
Pros
No pressure environment
Cons
Not so easy promotions
a place where to learn agrow at
survey assistant (Former Employee) –  ethekwini municipality2 March 2017
This is the place that give yo the opportunity to choose life you wanna live.it was fun and I did enjoy my time there.and I have learned so much there
Pros
full of choices
Cons
good services
Fun work place
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pinetown, KwaZulu-Natal9 February 2017
My experience working for EThekwini Municipality was quite huge because we were dealing mostly with the public and it really sharpened my communication skills. We were a family. Management had an open door policy so it was easy to work with them because they were honest and transparent. We worked as a team. I enjoyed my year working with them
Pros
Fridays free lunch and drinks
Cons
Inconsistent hours of work
• Good communication (verbal and written) skills
Data Capture (Former Employee) –  KwaZulu-Natal Durban2 February 2017
Controlling the Skills development Programmes including the preparation of vouchers, recovery of fees and monitoring the budget for Skills development Scheme, Controlling all study leave.
Pros
normal lunches
Cons
normal hours