Ethekwini Municipality

Ethekwini Municipality Employee Reviews in South Africa

• Salary/Benefits
fun place and productive
Administration Clerk (Internship Programme) (Former Employee), Durban, KwaZulu-NatalMarch 17, 2016
Pros: not working on weekands& plubic holidays
Cons: long hours
my days at work was always busy, and i learned how to use the oracle system for the council, management was very good working under them, even my co-workers was very polite. the hardest part of the job comes when it was a submission time, its where i always a problem due to delaying of submission by other departments. the most enjoyable part of the job was working alone in the office having your own computer, it was a nice feeling
productive and fun place to work in
HR Staff Assistant (Current Employee), Durban, ZNOctober 13, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: growth
Ethekwini Municipality is a pleasent work environment. I had learnt a lot working in the Human Resources Department for the various Departments. I had worked for more than 15 years and personally need to grow even if it means in another organisation.
I really enjoyed being part of Communications Unit Family enjoyed my job and my stay while it lasted wouldn't mind getting a job at EThekwini Municipa
Internship (Former Employee), Durban, ZNJanuary 15, 2016
Pros: Professional
Cons: accurate
I was normally busy at work my day was fun never bored. Learned how to deal with difficult clients, working with a team, under pressure,deadlines and executed all my work on time everyday. Management was great, so as co-workers we were like a family. Can't say it was the hardest part of the job Punctuality, eye for detail, good communication and professionalism was much needed. As much as I was an Intern enjoyed my job there were challenges of coarse but what kept me going was I do my work properly and deliver best work on time and it worked for me. What I enjoyed most was Attending meetings, Issuing Media Invitations, Preparing Press Releases Organising Events and having to attend it, to see the excellent execution of part of my work was priceless.
Excellent Learning
Senior Water Quality Officer (Current Employee), Durban, ZNJune 9, 2015
Pros: Great benefits, good security
Cons: Not enough application. Customers can be rather rude.
Great place to work. One can learn alot however there are not enough ooportunities to progress. Often too much politics result in unfairness. very stable and secure environment. One finds it hard in this specific job to apply the knowledge gained at engineering degree level.
Data Capturer (Former Employee), Durban, ZNNovember 30, 2015
Pros: Experience
Cons: Long hours
Fun and exhausting
Learned patiency
Good management
Office politics but good to work with
Working at an open space is quiet challenging.
Having to finish your deadlines.
One of teh best Unit to work for in the Municipality
Safety Officer (Current Employee), Durban, ZNNovember 12, 2015
Pros: Breakfast meetings
Cons: Recommendations take long to be implemented
Inform management about the intention to conduct depot or site inspections or survey. communicate with workers on site. prepare for health and safety trainings scheduled by EMA.
The health and safety is not only the responsibility of one party, all parties in the organization must adopt the system. management to budget more funds on health and safety matters.
Management has an open door policy.
Best people to work with.
when recommendations done by myself if they are not implemented by management because of budget constrains.
The trust my management have on me to conduct my work without being micro managed
Enjyable and resourceful
Library Assistant (Former Employee), Durban, KwaZulu-NatalMarch 10, 2016
Pros: Perfect working ours
Cons: Working at a library as a general assistant does not offer enough of a challenge
On a typical day at work I would arrive at 09:00 for a shift that begins at 10:00 and ends at 17:00 to switch on machinery and prepare the library for use.

Working at an Ethekwini Municipality library got me exposed and accustomed to various kinds of people and various personality types which was a much needed tool for me to progress in any sphere of life.

Our manager was a man of integrity, a good example-setter and very responsible.

My co-workers were friendly people for as long as we did not cross one another's colleagueship boundaries.

The hardest part of the job was to deal with patrons who were suspected of theft in the library.

The most enjoyable part of the job was having a colleague who lived near the area of our library who would invite us on weekends after work to traditional events they were hosting at their places of residence (where we would often feast on traditionally slaughtered meat and dumplings).
Learning more things each and everyday.
Principal Clerk (Current Employee), Durban, KwaZulu-NatalDecember 28, 2015
I came to work and check my boss's diary, take out any files that he might need for the day. Arrange other appointments and do normal office job.

I have learned that when it comes to management you have to be proactive and think a step ahead.

The most difficult thing is to make a decision on behalf of your boss especially if he is not there and you are not sure of what he would have wanted.
Product and Fun
Web Content Administrator and Online Journalist (Former Employee), ZNJanuary 13, 2016
I started working here as an intern. This was the company that gave me the initial start to my career. I enjoyed working with the joyful bunch of people.

I learnt a lot from my manager. She was a true motivator.
the most learning and enjoyable department to be in.
IT support (Former Employee), Durban, KwaZulu-NatalFebruary 8, 2016
very friendly people knowing what their doing and it a good place to get experience most of my management and troubleshooting part i got from that company.
stressfull and learning environment
Acting call centre supervisor (Current Employee), kwaZulu NatalAugust 11, 2015
Pros: learning oppotunities
Cons: lack of information and feedback
on a typical day we receive a over 1000 calls and about 500 of those calls are repeat calls where there are follow ups that need to be done and escalations to different departments concerning different faults. The environment itself is the most best where there are different involvements and new learning possibilities. its like a second home. This is more of a developmental post that i was given and management has given us a platform to prove our values and management levels. The most hardest of this job is when you don't receive the right info to liaise with the consumer and give necessary feedback.
Working with wonderful people
admin assistant (Former Employee), Tongaat, KwaZulu-NatalNovember 29, 2015
Pros: wroking with amazing people
Cons: had to relocate
Handling all the administration for 3 building inspectors and the supervisor in charge of the Tongaat region. Learnt new things on a daily basis as the individuals I worked with were very experienced and intelligent people.
Challenging and rewarding
Business Continuity Advisor (Current Employee), Durban, ZNJuly 20, 2015
Pros: Diverse culture
Cons: Unplanned ad hoc meeting after hours
A typical day starts with a status update meeting and then update the weekly task plan and targets. I have learned that not every individual thinks the same as you do and that you need to continuously improve ones people skills to be able to sell an idea and get buy-in from all relevant key players. The hardest part is the availability of senior officials who need to set the tone for their workforce in order to make the work seamless. The best part is knowing that you have contribute to improving the lives of the ordinary citizens
Service Delivery
Senior Clerk (Current Employee), Durban, ZNSeptember 16, 2015
Pros: Flexibility
Cons: long hours
Its a fun working environment as I was able to assist people on a daily basis. I enjoy working with collegues and learning from them, we brainstorm idead on how to improve ourselves.
Good department to gain experience in. Helpful work colleagues.
In-service trainee (Former Employee), Durban, ZNJuly 18, 2014
Pros: staff lunches, earning a salary, meeting new people and learning new things.
The work place was a new environment, however valuable experience was gained. Although the work i did was not purely focused on town planning the knowledge i gained certainly did supplement my knowledge. The overall experience of the year was challenging but constructive at the same time.

The most enjoyable part of the job was site inspections and having to travel to places that where totally out of my comfort zone. These are humbling experiences which most definitely added value and meaning the work i did in the office.
Fun Workplace
Principal Clerk (Current Employee), Durban, ZNAugust 19, 2015
Pros: lots of events
My colleagues are the best, we are a family which is what makes if fun.

Doing my daily duties now comes naturally for me as i have been doing them for years, which is why I need the change. My managers are very supportive and kind which makes it easier to be productive. Compliments are given when due.

I came to this company as a baby and I have grown to be a smart and professional women and I will always appreciate the Legal Service Team for teaching me.

I would definitely miss the parties we have time and time to unite us.
Fun workplace
Systems Operator (Current Employee), Durban, ZNSeptember 10, 2013
Pros: finger lunches on fridays
Cons: salary was not too good
.We as staff became more like family, we are still in contact. I think the team building helped with this part.
.I learned to be more patient as I would deal with difficult merchants almost everyday.
.My telephone manners improved.
.Management knew what we were dealing with everday, therefore would rewars us by giving us fun fridays and prices if you won as an employee of the month.
.We use to go to our head -office in Johannesburg quiet often for fun weeks or orientations, and that was fun because we would stay in the hotel and catch up at night as collegues that how we learned to love one another.
An environment conducive for fresh and new ideas with a lot of management support and autonomy
Project Technologist (Current Employee), DurbanMay 3, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: rigid management unable to adapt timeously to the changing environment
Planning for the week, time management is critical, being organised is important, management is supportive, co-workers are focused. the hardest part of the job is to keep up with issues to be attended to especial when there is a lot to be done without the option of delegating and while teaching new co-workers the ropes. The most enjoyable part is accomplishing a complicated task that requires attention to detail and getting positive feedback from customers.
Very Productive company
Environmental Health -Community Service (Former Employee), Durban, ZNOctober 19, 2015
I always wanted to work for a company that I will be able to grow and be independent , EThekwini Municipality gave me that opportunity.
Fun work place
Graduate work experience (Current Employee), Durban, ZNOctober 6, 2015
Pros: Flexibility
Cons: Misleading people
Its a fun working environment as I am able to assist people on a daily basis. I enjoy working with collegues and learning from them, we brainstorm idead on how to improve ourselves. My co-workers- easy to work with and respectful of one anothers' space.