Ethekwini Municipality Employee Reviews

Productive and also well educating, and skill upgrader workplace
Temporary assistant (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal6 September 2017
Most of the available offers along the workplace are beneficial, and most especially when it comes to how the work is done... i full recomend it's a good workplace
Pros
Anytime off dates
Cons
Short hours
Technician Training
Technician in Training (In-Service Trainee) (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal1 September 2017
Construction, planning, design and inspection responsibility for the street lighting department. Upgrading of Conducting acceptance testing on all new equipment purchased, i.e. minisubstations, transformers, ring main panels, autoreclosers, sectionaliser and motors in the workshop or onsite, prior to it being handed over to stores. I carried out repairs and overhauls to transformers, minisubstations circuit breaker in the workshop. Set up and operate test equipment to evaluate performance of developmental parts, assemblies, or systems under simulated operating conditions, and record results. Effective maintenance and repair of protection equipment at all MV and HV substations according to stipulated maintenance guidelines. I provided technical assistance and resolution when electrical or engineering problems are encountered before, during, and after construction.
Pros
Development
Cons
Unpaid
interesting and enjoyable
Senior / Cluster Librarian (Current Employee) –  KwaZulu-Natal29 August 2017
* Attend scheduled meetings, attend community planned events, staff training, writing reports, visit library branches, organise public participation, marketing and promotion of library services.

* Library and information science, communication, research methodologies, management.

* I occupy middle management position, manage staff, manage allocated budget, manage eThekwini Municipality assets.

* The hardest part of my job involves community participation, meeting different communities with different needs.

* The most enjoyable part of my job is to see and evaluate the impact my department towards community.
Pros
Good working conditions
Cons
Working on weekends
Controlled by politics
Senior Clerk (Health) (Current Employee) –  Verulam, KwaZulu-Natal17 August 2017
Maintain a fighting and never giving up method for job enhancement. There is a growing culture of unionists that are always trying to over throw each other especially within higher positions
Benefits
Cons
Politics
We deal with community's service
Site operator (Current Employee) –  Durban11 August 2017
I am under the department of roads and storm water maintenance ,unit engineering .DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF MY POST....Discusses and participates in the preparation of the work inspection/verification programme by....interacting with work scheduler as necessary on reported repair work, interacting as necessary with superintendent, engaging on the approach and plan for inspection /verification activities including the allocation of personnel for assistance ,giving consideration during the planning to priorities, backlog and timing of maintenance work based on information obtained from the work management system
Pros
Tea-time and lunch
Cons
8hours
productive and fun place to work at.
Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal9 August 2017
Working for EThekwini water services was a good experience, working as a liaison between the municipality and the community and helping where needed..
Pros
when working extra hours
Cons
overtime
productive and free spirited at work
water pollution inspector (Former Employee) –  kzn3 August 2017
Inspect,investigate and trace ingress of storm water
Compile visuals in order to analyse non compliance
Jit delivery service to client
Compiling various reports for management
Monthly vehicle inspection
Pros
days off sick benefits advance leeve booking
Potivive work environment
PA (Current Employee) –  Durban2 August 2017
good company to work for gaining ot of experience and exposure, there is career growth and better position for younger generations and salary is good for all employees
Bearable
Principal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Durban1 August 2017
Typical work day one comes in with nothing to do. Not much growth everything is relaxed and staff is very friendly. there is no challenge. it is no place for someone who is career orientated and looking to learn and grow.
I love working for my company and it has given me a wide exposure to the work environment but I feel I am ready for change
Acting HR Officer (Current Employee) –  Durban19 July 2017
We work from 7 am till 4 pm. Our HR systems are structured in a way that we all do specialised duties, e.g. Payroll section, Talent Management, Recruitment section, Performance Manangent. There is also Occopational Health (specialises in sick leave management), Wellness section and they both work closely with HR. Management work closely with HR (as we are their business partners. Our main function include advising line management on policies & procedures as well as ensuring that consistency is applied at all times.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
performance rewards does not seem to motivate hard workers
Productive, just fun
Small Plant Operator, working with electricians. (Current Employee) –  Durban North, KwaZulu-Natal12 July 2017
Typical day at work, it was a very bad for. That was a shortlisting day and unfortunately my name never got shortlisted because they just assumed that I did not meet all the requirements that time.
I learned that if you do not open your mind and mouth some times you will ended up get nothing.
Management does their jobs but some time they do not think much of the general workers and they are the ones who does the production done at the end of the day, they should take good care of them as they do to each other.
The hardest part of the job is when one of the team got injured or got burnt by electricity and tomorrow you have to wake up and go do your work as normal.
Enjoyable part is when we work as a team especial when we are on standby and working night shift and we got all the material we need, everything is going very well.
Pros
Free lunches for our superiours from contractors, yes.
Cons
Long hours yes we get them, we got standbys every after 6weeks.
Excellent environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  eThekwini Municipality28 June 2017
Set-up for the day with controlling opening of facility and doing a site inspection.
General assessment of the water levels, colour of the water etc.
Checking if the we have enough staff available on duty and ensuring that they are all wearing PPE and are in line with health and safety standards as set by the act.
Signing on staff and myself.
Check previous days' filtration records and adjust chemicals and tanks accordingly.
Opening the facility to public once safety has been established.
Supervision of staff and contractors through-out the day.
Supervising bathing public and providing first aid where applicable.
Taking instructions and information from superiors.
Stock control and maintenance records.
Liaising with members of public.
Pros
Great working environment.
Cons
Crowded pools
Edutainment
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durban North, KwaZulu-Natal22 June 2017
It was a kind of a work place where you always learn something new each and every day. You are exposed to a diversified staff as well as customers the only thing is that you must teach yourself to be dynamic and flexible.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No Overtimes
Productive and Fun workplace
Fleet Officer (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal14 June 2017
It is a place whereby one can grow professionally because we are given all resources to do our jobs things like Laptops,stationary and vehicles to visits sites of depots.

Having the opportunity to live in a cultural diverse society has really empowered and enriched me with a vast reservoir of knowledge to effectively deal with individual differences.

Management is very transparent and operate in a professional manner.

The hardest part of the job is when the Bus drivers decide to go on a strike and we need to outsource the special hire at the last moment where we need to get three quotes and follow all supply chain processes within a short period of time.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when we get complimented for the job well done by our Heads and Deputy Heads.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
it was a relaxed working environment but with defined duties
Small Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal8 June 2017
the supervisor will assign us sites that we need to work on and where he requires detail of job execution. Daily monitoring and reporting of tasks. We worked under minimal supervision but with clear duties. I was also gradually introduced to horticulture and report writing for our department.
Pros
Secure job
Cons
Routine work thereby not giving me a challenge
administration clerk
Administration Clerk (Intern) (Former Employee) –  KwaZulu-Natal Durban25 May 2017
It was wonderful and amazing working atethekwini municipality. We worked well together.
But the girl i worked with, treated me badly. She did the same job as me but, she acted like my boss. The salary was not enough. And i was not working permanently.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
i don't understand what I have to write here
Generally,there was good experience,challenges resulting to work development
Acting Deputy sister-in-charge (Former Employee) –  Impola Clinic9 May 2017
TYPICAL DAY-prepargoodation:stock,staff supervision and allocation
LEARNED:Made sure the clinic functioned well
MANAGEMENT:staff conflicts,staff key performance
HARDEST JOB PART:productivity,quality inspite of staff shortage
MOST ENJOYABLE PART:seeing clients happy and recovered/problems solved
Pros
Day duty and no night duty
Cons
Overcrowding with staff shortage
unfortunately I'm not in a productive department but it's an amazing workplace platform.
firefighter (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal6 May 2017
First and foremost you have too love what you doing,I loved to be a firefighter.being in that particular department is an honour it filled with respect love and enjoyment,since it is semi military.
Pros
no free lunch
Cons
yep long hours off work
professional nurse (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal4 May 2017
I love the working environment and opportunities since its a one stop shop. Sometimes I feel limited.what I don't like is the attitudes of the manager's if you are capable for example have same or more qualifications they feel threatened and bully you
Pros
Learning opportunities
Cons
Managent skills poor
Productive and innovative working environment
Senior Professional Planner (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal26 April 2017
• Advising developers, public, government organizations, parastatals, NGO’s, Council and internal departments on development processes and planning policies.
Pros
Quality of life
Cons
Long distance from core family