Ethekwini Municipality

Ethekwini Municipality Employee Reviews

work place
Motor Mechanic in-service Training (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal14 January 2017
it was my first time working as an artisan assistant,i started working there while i was studying at coastal kzn fet college doing my level 3 Automotive repaire and maintanance corse,working there was very nice beacause of the divesity of the workplace.
Good Government
community mobiliser (Former Employee) –  community participation13 January 2017
Well netted government. Creating & making an impact in communities. Great experience with diverse communities. Better understanding the municipality & acts the municipality is governed by. Phenomenal department with experienced staff.
Pros
Good work ethics
Cons
weekend work
Hard working environment
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal7 January 2017
Productive daily, staff are very hard working and ambitious. Learning to work in teams is essential as team work and good co worker relations is encouraged.
Pros
Training programes are provided to staff such as First Aid.
Cons
Salary does not reflect work load.
productive customer service
Precinct Officer (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal4 January 2017
Derelict Building inspections
how to communicate with the public
The hardest part delivering projects with little or no budgets
Pros
customer experience
Cons
budget constraints to implement projects
Productive environment with room to grow
Mechanical Technician (Current Employee) –  Springfield Park3 January 2017
I am heavily involved in the maintenance of existing pumping equipment, and the specification of new equipment. Project work and managing contracts. Hardest part of the job is liaising with the various departments that do not have the same sense of urgency that we do. Most enjoyable part is starting a project and seeing it to fruition.
Pros
Large funding always available for projects
Cons
Delays when dealing with other departments
Good Project
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Durban8 December 2016
I have learned new things in big-data hadoop domains through this project. co-workers are good to work with them and helped to handle critical situations.
It a fun workplace and it got lot of things u can learn from it
Executive Secretary (Former Employee) –  Durban8 December 2016
I have had a very bad experience with this company,they let u be a temporary worker for too long and they dismiss once they see that it time to make u pernanent
Pros
Offices are in good condition
Cons
They dont have enough work for their employees
Very dirverse and much exposure
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal1 December 2016
Through this job, I have learnt a lot of departmental accounting ranging from operational and capital budget preparation, preparation of management accounts (comparative statements), being at a supervisory role and handling of over R1 billion rand budget. The environment is very friendly ,fun as well as deadline driven. I have learnt different accounting systems, ranging from JDE world, Advanced Excel, Cognos as well as advanced CQS caseware. The ongoing support from the organization on enhancing your skills was amazing.
Pros
Great Exposure
Cons
Too departmental
fun workforce
EPWP Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal22 November 2016
setting up dates for team matches
allocating teams
motivating team spirit
gaining trust and honesty within the team
making sure that everyone is happy within the team
Pros
working with younger people then me
Cons
disappointment when loosing a match
productive and very informative work place
CYBER CADET (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal18 November 2016
Being is a Cyber cadet if you are a nurse is a bit challenging but it is similar because in both you get to help with people.

My passion is to help people so i really love starting my day at 8:30 at work and working with people especially that do not have the knowledge about computers because i ensure that by the time they leave our library they are fully informed .
Fun workplace
Senior Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal10 November 2016
Good company to work for and a lot to learn as it is very diverse and different organisation.
Sometimes very challenging with not much support from the management and the clients we support. Safety is not a priority only in papers and that's make it a huge challenge to conform.
The hardest part of the job is that the employees rely on you as a Safety Officer to ensure compliance but nothing taken seriously and you end up feeling like you have failed the employees.

We share the same sentiment with other Safety officers and that lead to high staff turn over.
I have a lot that i have learned since i have been with the organisation from negotiation skills, conflict management, chairing safety meetings, conducting trainings.

What i enjoyed the most is engaging with employees on professional and personal level
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
limited working resources
Productive work place
Clark (Current Employee) –  KwaZulu-Natal9 November 2016
Am an internship for 2 years work as a clerk. Taking minute meeting and typing.Attending to telephone queries.Creating files after capture and do searches.Do searches Hss, windeed,home affars.Checking outlook.printing typing. Deliving a service to the beneficiaries assisting to the counter.
Pros
Lunch
Cons
Good Place to Advance knowledge and work experience. in most cases work is rewarding, and talent is encouraged. Recruitment policies need a reviewed.
Human Resource Officer (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal7 November 2016
Good Team Spirit
Very well resourced environment
Cooperative governance
Good Mentorship
Good Place to Advance knowledge and work experience.
work is rewarding, and talent is encouraged.
Recruitment policies need a reviewed.
Better transition efforts need to be exercised in terms of implementation and consultation of change management.
Pros
Freedom to operate independently
Cons
Too much political involvement
organisation is good, just the section i work for is not my scene
Administration Officer (Travel) (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal28 October 2016
The position is not too bad however compared to my career achivements so far, moving to this post feels like i have taken a bit of a step backwards...
Pros
learning the public sector policies
Cons
too administrative
Fun
Policy Coordinator in the Office of the Mayor (Former Employee) –  durban25 October 2016
eThekwini Municipality is a well run metro which often win awards for its service delivery in the country.

The day starts at 7h30 and ends at 16h30. I learned to work independently with good supervision, of course. Strategic area of the organisation was my hardest part.
Great working exeperience
Graduate Intern (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal22 October 2016
I was mostly stationed at the reception even though I did both administrative and reception duties. Spending most of the time at the reception was a great learning experience. It help to test and enhance my communication skills. It equipped and advanced my emotional intelligence especially when dealing with unhappy customers.

Even though I was a Graduate, but my manager kept on trusting me with more responsibilities, carrying more demanding tasks like preparing documents for corporate accounts payments, capturing performance agreements. Such activities helped to improve my project management and organizing skills. At times I would be given a task I have not done before which required me to consult with my co-workers for guidance and coaching.

Furthermore, these tasks were the most-value adding activities as they provided a platform to work as a team and afford me with an opportunity to learn from senior co-workers. The most interesting part was seeing how they coped and handled difficult and time bound tasks, how they prioritized and creatively improvised to get the job done.

The most difficult part was when I had a lot of walk-in customers who would come from afar, queue in the line for long, and then our networks go down. Even though we had a way of taking their details/ referring them to other departments that fall under the same unit as us, it was still hard to accept that I could not help them because of network/server being down.
Energetic, vibrant and rewarding workplace
Secretary/PA (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal10 October 2016
Dynamic environment, productive. Very informative. Great studying opportunities. Honorable to serve the public. Fulfilling with great benefits and stability. Room for growth within the department and throughout.
Pros
13th cheque, leave days per month
Cons
Open throughout the year (festive season)
Exciting&fun.
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal7 October 2016
I had a great time working as a council employee but due to unforseen circumstances I had to leave my job,I enjoyed working as a council employee the opportunity gave me a great exposure&it allowed me to grow as an individual.
I started of as a temporary employee for Parks Recreation and Culture my job title was a General Assistant and a Small Plant Operator.
Until I got a permanent job working for Finance Department my job title was a General Assistant,cleaning the offices&I also helped at the reception at times.
So I had a great time&enjoyed working there.
Pros
It gives you the opportunity to be a bread winner&allows you to grow work wise.
Cons
N/A
Fun working place
Leading firefighter (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal30 September 2016
Working at the municipality have gain me lot of knowledge and experience.But in my department even there is growth,for me I don't see it .I'm still young and I still want see myself learning more about my job
Graduate Trainee (Current Employee) –  Pinetown, KwaZulu-Natal29 September 2016
Exposure to various people has allowed me to enhance on my customer service skills. The different situations that I found myself in have had a great impact on developing me as the professional and successful woman that I want to be. The challenges and different exposures in various offices have added to the development and preparing me for when I eventually get a job that's in my field of study.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
No overtime

4,0