Shoprite Group

Shoprite Group Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
VERY GOOD PLASER TO WORK
NONE FOODS MANAGER (Former Employee), Johannesburg, GPNovember 5, 2014
Pros: good company to work for
Cons: lomh houres, notime for family
ENJOYED EVRY DAY WHEN I WORKED AT SHOPRITE , STAFF IS GOOD MANAGEMENT WAS HELPFUL AND MADE YOU THING THEY WAY YOU WANT TO
fun
general worker (Former Employee), Cape Town, WCOctober 29, 2014
Pros: dicounts
Cons: extra unpaid hours
my previous employer told us adding fun in the work place helps you enjoy working and completing tasks

it was true cos you always look forward in going to work not cos you getting paid but cos of how you work and the relationship between you and your coleages
Job culture needs a lot of improvement
Store Manager (Former Employee), Polokwane, LP, Mogwase, North WestOctober 24, 2014
Pros: annual profit share
Cons: wxcessive working hours
I learned more about thinking on your feet. Very fast paced business where focus on risk should not be lost at all.
fun place
packer (Former Employee), cape town western capeSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: over time
Cons: lomg hours
i remember this other day there was this old lady i was packing her products she was so sweet she was me like"my daughter" i gained lot of respect and ma co workers they were so kind and disciplined, i never find any hard part of the job my job was so easy and i was enjoying packing, the enjoyable part of the job was that i was dealing with different – more... kinds of people there were colureds and blacks even white people i enjoyed dealing with those different kinds of people – less
company culture
admin manager (Former Employee), Cape Town, WCSeptember 19, 2014
Cons: no lunch available
It dealt more on external customers than internal ( employees)
Productive and continuous learning workplace
Sales manager (Former Employee), Polokwane, LPSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: sustain toughness
Cons: long hours
The company teaches management from all angles,you learn to be independent and very tough as decisions you make have consequences and you have to stand for them,you learn to delegate and get things done in time in order to achieve targets as its very crucial to achieve targeted numbers,planning have to be so good as this is a very busy company-the culture – more... is all about delivering results and moving on and that teaches you to focus more on your job and deliver.Overall its a good organisation that cooks managers to become very knowledgeable. – less
checkers Hyper Centurion
Front admin manager (Former Employee), Sandton, GPSeptember 9, 2014
this was my first job,
a lot of excitement, hungry for success,willingness to learn
all was good, very nice welcome.
was a trainee manager, learning how to run each department in the store
Less productive
GENERAL GROCERY ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Zeerust, NWSeptember 6, 2014
Pros: no free lunch and transport
Cons: short hours
Shoprite retail store its management was very pour, regarding employees support, they lack leadership skills. when we workers experiences problem regarding the conditions of workplace they do failed. it was fun and interesting but salary was pour, it was fluctuating every month.

skills acquired

-Stock taking
-Stock Control
- Computer
Trainee Management Review
Trainee Manager (Former Employee), Pretoria, South AfricaSeptember 2, 2014
Pros: engaging with staff members
Cons: long working hours
Supervising service department staff and assisting in cash office management. Compiling weekly reports, assisting in planning and conducting stock taking. Inventory management and providing input to increasing sales. It provided a challenge to curbing inventory theft by customers. It was highly motivating to work with staff members in a close-knit environment.
good shop
cashier (Former Employee), Umtata, ECAugust 14, 2014
Cons: long hours
it was very good experience working at shoprite.The stuff that was training us for cashier were very good and polite with us.
computer operator (Current Employee), Nelspruit, MPAugust 8, 2014
Monday: Up at 6AM, shower, no breakfast, at work by 7AM. For the next five hours, handle emails feedback, questions, report prom out of stock to the regional manager, do bookwork (matching reservations, checkouts, bank statements, etc). At noon, go out for a half an hour lunch break at one of the various overpriced restaurants /

as a computer operator – more... and the email feedback sometimes you have to deal with nasty remarks from your bosses as they would want you to respond as fast as you can forgetting that you also have to deal with customers and this turn out to be the most hardest part of my job and the same time interacting with customers is more funny since you meet different people some are difficult to deal with. – less
Personnel Admin Clerk (Current Employee), Cape Town, WCAugust 8, 2014
Pros: good benefits
It is challengeing to work for such a large retailer, but the experienced gained is beneficial . I have been employed at this company for 22 years but feel the growth has been too slow..
Young & energetic and have an outgoing personality,
cashier (Current Employee), Benoni, GPJuly 11, 2014
My experiences allow me to see the broader picture and its implication; hence this strengthens my abilities to reach the ultimate goals.
very fast paced
Back admin manager (Current Employee), Barberton, MPJune 24, 2014
Pros: many training courses that the company pays for
Cons: long hours
We have many tasks to complete each day, and have to learn to multitask

You need to manage your own time and staff to be as productive as possible
Management are under a lot of pressure and sometimes forget that their staff have families to go to

The hardest part of the job is that your family always has to come second, you have to work shift that – more... can be anything from 11 to 15 hours, without overtime.

On some weekends you work without being paid

The most enjoyable part is that we get to attend many training courses and its easy to build a team – less
productive and challenging
forklift driver (Former Employee), Centurion, GPJune 11, 2014
Pros: no
Cons: long hours
hard day at work i learned how to work as a team, and i miss my co-workers. the hardest part of the job is to offload the stock from the truck and the enjoyable part is to scan the stock and the management was perfect.
Productive and has room for improvement
Cashier (Former Employee), Philippi, WCJune 4, 2014
Pros: if need be or if the company is doing well, i ll always appreciate the appreciation they are giving to us, but it is not a must.
Cons: i am always willing to work over and above normal days, as long i am compensated for that
Some days its hectic and other days its not that hectic
I have learned to work with difficult customers and be always polite
when helping them.

Less complaints from the customers makes my bosses happy about my work.

Though people differs with their personalities,it is always important to get along with colleagues.

Month end is almost always the – more... longest hours at work.

When my bosses appreciate the good work i m doing, or the bad work that i might be doing, i like constructive criticism. – less
staff were productive
Stock Administrator (Former Employee), Port Elizabeth, ECMay 22, 2014
I would plan what i would do for the day
To be patiance with customers
To work with staff not against them
That they are more productive if you treat them fairly
is being in two places at once
working with people that make your job enjoyable
thriving work place
Regional Personnel Management (Current Employee), Johannesburg, GPMay 12, 2014
My average day at work would be a high energy day working through my regions and dealing with the staffs queries and complaints , i believe that in human resource field you always thrown new challenges and i thrive on knowing that every day is a new learning experience and it will always be my passion.
productive
data capture clerk (Former Employee), Port Elizabeth, ECMay 12, 2014
Pros: staff credit card
learned to be patient because it is a big company and working with other people. also to understand other cultures and religions of different people I was working with. The management understood the needs of their employees and very supportive.
Team work
cashier (Current Employee), Thohoyandou, LPMay 8, 2014
Pros: team work
Cons: no growth opportunities
the pressures of working in a service environment are real and heavy, as "the customer is always right". This makes it a little difficult to keep the customer satisfied and not bend company policy.

Being in a team oriented environment gives me peace of mind as I know I always have my colleagues support to lean on.
this makes it so much fun to be at – more... work and I never have to dread being at work as I know that I have support for the hardest part of my job. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About Shoprite Group

The Shoprite brand is one of the leaders in South African food retailing and is, according to independent market research, the – Read more