Shoprite Group

Shoprite Group Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
productive
shelf packer to receiving admin general assistant (Former Employee), Polokwane, LPJuly 23, 2015
Pros: 1 hour
Cons: 7
the job actually it was entailling especialy because we are working with managers near us so you dont even get a chance to speak or chat with your coworker.i was enjoying working as general assistant since it is the priority of shoprite to place you to many sides of different works.
EXPIRING AND EXCITEMENT
CLEANER (Former Employee), PIETERMARTZBURGJuly 22, 2015
Pros: FREE LUNCH
Cons: HOLIDAYS
I HAVE LEARN SO MAY THINGS LIKE BEING RESPONSIBLE,NOT WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO DO THE JOB JUST BECAUSE IT IS HIS/HER DUTY. BEING THERE IS SUCH A PLEASURE AND BEING ASSOCIATED WITH DIFFERENT PEOPLE MAKE ME UNDERSTAND THE CULTURE AND THE BACKGROUNDS OF DIFFERNT PEOPLE.
cashier
Cashier (Former Employee), Johannesburg, GPJuly 11, 2015
Cons: long hours
typical day was to count money in cash drawers at the beginning of shifts to ensure that amounts are correct and that there is adequate change.
Establish or identify prices of goods, services or admission, and tabulate bills using calculators, cash registers, or optical price scanners.
Greet customers entering establishments.
Issue receipts, refunds, credits, or change due to customers.
Issue trading stamps, and redeem food stamps and coupons.
Maintain clean and orderly checkout areas.
productive and funny in terms of work because of knowledge gained
administrative clerk (Former Employee), Verulam, ZNJuly 8, 2015
typical day whereby you finish work earlier but you won't be allowed to go home untill the agreemented time comes.

From what i've learned is that no matter what thev situation is or what the obsticles are in life but just focus and do your work properly.

management was good and hard also but depending on the amount of work given during the day because we were not allowed to hand over some work for the following day.

my co-workers some of them were good some were not because sumeone thinks is better than someone else but besides that it was agood working environment indeed

the hardest part of the job ddin't feel any because just loved my job very much so i do not have any difficulties

obvious is pay day everybody enjoys the benefits of being an employee but not only that also being productive in the company
Strong learning advantage
Trainee Manager (Former Employee), Cape Town, WCJuly 8, 2015
Pros: Learning advantages.
Cons: Long Hours
Long hours and great opportunity, varity of staff and great management. strong work structure and fun environment to work in. has fantastic possibility for growth and strong pay structure.
cashier (Former Employee), Cape Town, WCJuly 7, 2015
Pros: gift vouchers
Cons: long hours
month ends is always typical as lot of people get paid, i learned to prepare myself like making sure we have everything eg enough change for customers. me and my co-workers always practice fastness and accuracy to work the ques and prevent loss. working long hours is hard but enjoyable when you get paid for it.
Very fast paced, always busy.
Admin Manager (Former Employee), Cape Town, WCJuly 6, 2015
Pros: Free lunch and fun meeting new people daily.
Cons: Very long hours, only one weekend off per month, very stressful.
A very fast paced career with lots of focus needed. Every day is something new which can be exciting as well as frustrating. The regional management teams are generally very supportive which is nice, and they want to see you grow.

Hardest part of the job is the excessive hours (sometimes 14hour shifts) and very few days off per month(only one weekend off).

Most enjoyable part of the job is working with such a variety of people makes for great conversations and learning experiences.
fun work place
cashier (Former Employee), Diepsloot, GPJuly 2, 2015
Pros: free lunch on holidays
Cons: long hours on month end
Giving a customer the wrong change.
Learned a lot about customer service
Good management
Worked very well with my co-workers even though sometimes we had a bit of arguments but it was fun working there.
The hardest part of the job is working without a change to give clients in the tills
when working with friendly customers
Branch Manager (Former Employee), East London, ECJune 24, 2015
Pros: You learn new things everyday
Cons: Leading people is not for faint hearted
Making sure that the store is in a condition where customers can shop safely and ensuring on-stock situation and that the back areas are one hundred percent. Everything I know about retail I've learnt from this company. The management is professional. People find it easy to work with me and I learnt a lot from my co-workers. The hardest part is that you deal with different kinds of people and you have to lead them. The most enjoyable is seeing customers leaving the store with a smile pushing their trolleys.
very productive but less rewarding for hardwork done
Trainee Manager (Current Employee), Port Elizabeth, ECJune 21, 2015
Pros: free Lunches
Cons: long hours which overtime during the week is not paid for or acknowledge by superiors
I learnt a lot how to manage people and how to use reports in forecasting for future promotions and how to analyse data and make it meaningful info and how to merchandise stock and how to monitor the sales floor. How tro make calculated decisions using available reports and info.
FUN WORKPLACE
CASHIER (Former Employee), Johannesburg, GPMay 26, 2015
Pros: DISCOUNT PRICES FOR EMPLOYEES
Cons: LONG HOURS
IT IS FUN WORKING WITH THE CUSTOMERS,THE MANAGEMENT IS GOOD AND THEY ENSURE THE WORK IS ALWAYS DONE AND CUSTOMERS ARE SATISFIED.IVE LEARNT TO WORK ACCURATLY AND WITH HONESTY. THE HARDEST PART OF THE JOB IS TO MAKE SURE YOUR FINANCES ARE NOT A CENT SHORT; THEREFORE I HAD TO BE VERY ACCURATE WITH THE MONEY PART OF THE JOB.THE NICE THING ABOUT THE JOB IS THAT WE GOT DISCOUNTS FOR SOME OF THE GOODS AS EMPLOYEES OF THE COMPANY.
PRODUCTIVE
CASHIER (Former Employee), Pretoria, GPMay 7, 2015
Pros: NONE
Cons: WORKING OVERTIME WITHOUT BEING PAID
ALWAYS WORKING LONG HOURS, MY FORMER COLEGUES WERE VERY HELPFULL IN HELPING OUT. THE HARDEST PART IS WHEN THE MONEY YOU HAVE DOES NOT BALANCE WITH THE TRIAL BALANCE.
till packer (Current Employee), Cape Town, WCMay 6, 2015
Pros: experience
Cons: long hours
some days it gets busy and we have to work long hours. typical day at work would be packing for customers the goods they buy and making sure the area around me is clean at all times and doing back shopping.
Branch Manager (Current Employee), Boksburg, GPApril 28, 2015
Pros: Company provides lunch.
Cons: Long productive hours.
Everyday is productive as each day counts to improve the business. I have learned a lot while I am on this company, business acumen and customers importance.
Working for shoprite could be fine if you do not have many responsibilities to attend to
cashier (Former Employee), kuilsriverApril 28, 2015
Every day is different as you work with different people each and every day nothing is expected and predictable so that is what makes things interesting and exciting because weather you will have a bad day or a good one that all depends on you.
A good place to start a career
Admin Manager (Former Employee), GPApril 23, 2015
Pros: so many people become part of your life
Cons: Long hours
Because of the nature of the business we had many and different customers a day will never be the same, I have leaned to work with different cultures of people and how to manage them and to handle and respect different customers and their cultures the hardest part of the job is the long hours, and the most enjoyable part is every person you meet and the relationship you build with both customers and staff
EVERYTHING IS GOOD
store room assistant (Former Employee), Cape Town, WCApril 21, 2015
Pros: GOOD
Cons: LONG HOURS BUT GOOD
JOB SECURITY IS VITAL AND SECURITY MEASURES IN TERMS OF ROBBERY ARE PUT IN PLACE AND HEALTH & SAFETY ARE IMPORTANT.CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIP IS VERY IMPORTANT TOO
productive fun working environment
merchandiser (Former Employee), Harrismith, FSMarch 6, 2015
Pros: yes, free lunches sumtimes
Cons: twilight and night shift
days depend mainly on number of customers per day. i learned more about customers especially the hard one. with managers is not easy to tell because each an every one of them are very different. it's all good as long each an everyone of knows that we are also in business like the manager because without them the business is incomplete. in the month end we must make sure that the shelf is fully packed. we enjoy ourselves to hear that the business is doing well and we top our regional shops
GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE LACK ON MOTIVATION
trainee manager (Former Employee), Burgersfort, LPMarch 3, 2015
Pros: petty cah
Cons: abnormal hours
THE ENVIROMENT ITS TOO NOISY AND SCARY.
ON MANAGEMENT IVE LEARNED HOW TO LEAD CO-WORKERS AND HOW TO SOLVE PROBEMS AS A SINIOR AND HOW TO HANDLE CHALLENGES.
CRAETE A GOOD RELATIONSHIP WITH CO-WORKERS IN ORDER TO PERFOM THE EXPECTED STANDARD.
THE HARDEST PART OF THE JOB IS TO STAY IN FEAR ON WHEN AM I GOING TO GET FIRED BECAUSE EVERYONE IS ON THE GOING LIST IF YOU NOT ON THE LIKABLE LIST.
HONESTLY I LIKED THE TRAINING PART WHICH TOOK ME AWAY FROM THE STORE ENVIROMENT AS ITS NOT A COMFORTABLE ZONE.
fun working place
Shelpacker (Current Employee), Johannesburg South, GPFebruary 26, 2015
Cons: working weekends
This is one of the worst companies to work for in the retail sector
A lot of hardwork but no money
I am not enjoying my time here

1 2 3 4 5

About Shoprite Group

The Shoprite brand is one of the leaders in South African food retailing and is, according to independent market research, the – Read more