SNC-Lavalin Employee Reviews

Coordinator / Planner (Current Employee) –  Secunda, Mpumalanga22 August 2017
Create a culture of mentoring and training
Have an open door policy that exist between me and the rest of the companies employees
Ensuring that safety and ethical compliance is a priority
Report on all deviations no matter how small
Diverse, Productive and Fun Workplace
Executive Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Midrand9 May 2017
Each day had new but fun challenges at work where I could grow and learn how to manage my time and develop multitasking skills. I enjoyed working with different colleagues everyday. The hardest part was dealing with different time zones across the globe but could always meet reporting deadlines.
Challenging and rewarding
HR IR Manager (Former Employee) –  Gauteng and its surrounding provinces3 February 2017
Everyday dawns new challenges which made my career at SNC Lavalin worth it. I have learnt self confidence and have strenthened my ability to manage difficult situations. My management was ever so supportive of the decisions I made by me in relation to my role as a HR IR Manager. SNC Lavalin's senior management ensured strict work place code of ethics, compliance and culture was enforced constintly. My view of difficulties or the hardest part of the job is unquestionable due to the fact that I make any thing difficult, a challenge to resolve which in turn makes my work so much more desirable. Everything and much more.
Pros
Company transport
Cons
Seven days of work.
Good work place and saf
she rep (Former Employee) –  Sasol, Secunda Mpumalanga9 January 2017
Task completed safest way and good management to the workers, earning good salary a fortnight no longer working hours you don't work underpressure good leadership and
Pros
own lunch
Cons
normal hours
Productive and fun working place
P1 and P2 (Former Employee) –  Inturn16 October 2016
Grate place to learn perfect working environment and enjoying working with positive minds people. Leard more about safety got the chanse to work on some safety officers
Cons
From 8am to 5 pm
Instructions are normaly given in a good and understandeble way
Boilermaker/Piping Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Gauteng S A26 May 2016
The Management at Kentz are strict but fair. Acknowlidgement are given where nessesary. It is a plesure to work fore the compeny.Thy are willing to send anny worker for further training
Good experience.
Mechanical Engineer - Senior (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, GP1 November 2015
Company that offered me the opportunity to learn new software applicable to my speciality. Gained good experience in pyro industry.
Workplace that is very challenging.
Senior Mechanical Engineer (CFD) (Current Employee) –  Sandton, GP12 June 2015
Typical day at work is to get simulations set-up and to run as quickly as possible, to provide results that can be used to give the designers and client confidence in the new designs proposed.
• Do layout of complete ETI Turkey metals plant consisting of materials handling, AC furnace and DC furnace. • Update complete AC- and DC Furnace Bill
MECHANICAL DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  Sandton, GP5 June 2015
• Update complete AC- and DC Furnace Bill Off Materials by assigning numbers to designs, also keeping track of modifications, update drawing pack.
• Lead of 4 designers and draftsmen in Pyromet discipline.
• Managing Projects 3D design data in SharePoint with Solid Edge Insight.
• Olympic Dam BHP Furnace rebuild Layout and design of Copper Furnace Modules
• Present weekly Solid Edge user group.
Generally productive and focused on achievements of goals.
Commercial Specialist (Former Employee) –  Morningside, GP20 December 2014
Typial daily activities are not deemed to be as indicative of past and future sucess as are abilities, objectives, achievements.

While the company's local arm was growing over its first six years since establishment in RSA, it was considered to be robust and profitable, providing the required results for its clients and shareholders. However, when the market started faltering, with fewer projects becoming available, the company was too slow in moving pro-actively and therefore was not prepared to face the economic down-turn effectively.

The result was the shown by the need to retrench major parts of the much-needed specialist skills over a short period of time.
Pros
Total team's joint vision, planning, co-operation, motivation and action.
Cons
Subsequent lack of some of above-mentioned pros.
job review
SITE SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Sandton, GP14 December 2014
I have worked in a few country's in africa as a site supervisor. The thing I find the most enjoyable is working with problems on plans and checking that the equipment is right for the right job. I will work long hours if I must to get the job done.I think that we all learn from each job we take on sometimes about your co-workers and other time from the job we are working on. Africa can be hard at times because of the conditions you have face in running of the day to day operations
Pros
If a company takes care of you
Cons
Not getting the right information about the job
Productive workplace, stable environment & good work life balance
Process Designer (Former Employee) –  Morningside, GP10 November 2014
It was a good company to work for. Unfortunately things did not go well with the world economy & the company, like many others, had to restructure
Excellent place to work for.
Snr Engineer Process (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, GP11 September 2014
Enjoyable place to work. Excelent people. Learning possible.
Pros
Global exposure. Good benefits.
Cons
Job Security (design industry is down for the moment)
IT Technician
IT Technician (Current Employee) –  Sandton, GP19 February 2014
• Troubleshooting and configuring network and hardware in the business.
• Load necessary software and applications.
• Support users in the Call Centre environment (including Call recording and reporting software).
• Installing cable and patching of telephones.
• Keeping track of backup tape schedule.
• Attending to email and telephonic support from users
• Familiarity with typical computing environment i.e. backups, antivirus, printing, network switching etc.
Pros
study during lunch time
Cons
no overtime
working at SNC
senior mechanical/piping design draughtsman (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg North, GP27 January 2014
working at snc was challenging and fulfilling
work on jobs in the DRC
was employed as a senior designer mechanical and piping
Pros
an international company
Cons
were micro managed from canada
Great learning Curve
Mechanical / Piping Designer (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg North, GP28 November 2013
• Prepare designs, 3D models and detail drawings
• Prepare 3D Piping and mechanical general arrangements for existing plant upgrades and new facilities
• Design and drafting of piping drawings including studies, plot plans, equipment layouts, and general arrangement drawings
• Preparation of line lists, valve lists, and tie-in lists
• Prepare material take-offs (MTO’s)
• Drawing of P&ID’s and PFD’s
• 3D ISO Production and Checking
• Prepare Drawing lists
• Checking of drawings as required
• Checking vendor documentation
• Responsible for the technical accuracy, completeness, and quality of all mechanical design deliverables and activities on a project;
• Coordinate with other disciplines to ensure a timely and accurate flow of design information, while ensuring departmental and client
standards are maintained
Pros
Good working atmosphere
Cons
Lack of underground parking
Cover letter
Piping Designer (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, GP7 September 2013
Miss Stephanie Vlietstra is a Piping mechanical Design Draftswoman with 11 years’ experience in both the Oil and Gas and Mining and minerals industry. She has worked on both onshore and offshore project, smelters, Electrowinning Plants, Process plants material handling and recently a tailings plant.

She has very strong Data Basing skills on Excel, where, on numerous projects, she has managed asset registers, construction and commissioning packs, Equipment lists, Line Lists, Valve Lists and Instrumentation Lists.

On her current project she has spent a fair amount of time on site in the DRC. Her role has been that of a piping designer as well as managing the contractor with regards to construction and commissioning packs. She worked with the Process Engineer to divide the P&ID’s into work packs by separating them at the battery limit and giving all the equipment, pack numbers. She was also responsible for putting the correct specifications, punch lists and sign off documents in the construction packs. She developed a system whereby the index and covering sheet of the construction packs were intelligently linked to the data base that was housing the construction packs. She also worked a lot with the planner in order to put the construction packs into priority lists

She is extremely diligent and conscientious and has a reputation for picking up new drawings packages very quickly. The drawing package she has the most is experience with is any Autodesk based packages. She is capable of creating intelligent symbols in all disciplines and setting up libraries to be able
  more... to extract intelligent information straight from AutoCAD into Excel. She has also always been actively involved in setting up line types, drawing templates, title blocks and frames. Her role has always been divided between CAD support and Drafting.

Miss Vlietstra brings her all too every project always concentrating on the bigger picture and remembering that a happy client means more work for any company. She is also able to work under extreme pressure, always remaining positive and never letting her high standards slip. She is Fluent in English and can understand and write Dutch and Afrikaans. Her career has taken place mostly in the oil and gas industry and she has worked in Holland, London and Australia.

She is actively looking for a new challenge and a new project anywhere in the world. She is single, upwardly mobile and is available to start as soon as possible.
Integrity honesty daily
Senior Buyer / Project Lead (Current Employee) –  Morningside, GP12 June 2013
Our hours are flexi which is an advantage because of traffic.
i work in a friendly environment. Get along well with management and co-workers. Every day brings new chalanges which have to be delt with. The end result is that we have built a plant/mine which is a great feeling of accomplishment

I feel that without integrity and honesty any company will loose.
Pros
hours are Flexi time
Cons
No canteen
Workplace day
Junior Control and Instrumentation Designer (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, GP4 June 2013
I normally get to work aroung 7;00am and then check any important emails. i then proceed into my daily tasks that i will get from my mentor. I have learned a lot about good communication and leadership skills. I have learned that time management is very important, as i was working on projects which have specific deliverables set to the specific date. I have also learned some tactics on how to get drawing done perfectly on itme, i have learned to work in a group of people.
My co-workers were all experienced more than me, and they were very patient with making sure that i get the best out of my training.
The hardest part of my job was when i had to start a new task that i never did before, but due to me working hard and willing to learn, i always managed to pull the task together 100%
The most enjoyable part of my job was when i had to do challenging calculations guided by my mentor. I enjoyed when i was part of the Project management learnership and relaized how everything around us is a project on its own.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
When the task reach its timeframe without being completed
Very system driven.
Material Controller (Current Employee) –  Santon, Johannesburg & Kolwezi, DR Congo29 April 2013
Hours Head office: 07:30-15:30
Learnd Project Management System PM+
The hardest part of the job is to get info from site due to poor WI-Fi network on site!
Pros
Exelent Work Enviroment
Cons
No Overtime