Stellenbosch University Employee Reviews

Good learning environment
Technical Officer (Former Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape4 December 2017
It's a university, you get paid badly but get to work on projects of your own choice. There is minimal pressure and room expand your personal academic growth.
Pros
Low pressure
Cons
Low pay
productive
Maths and Science tutor (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape29 November 2017
Tutor students,
people learn differently because they are different.
management was good
the culture was ok
balancing between work and my studies
free lunch during meetings
Pros
challenge
Cons
low salary
workplace
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape9 November 2017
I have worked here for 7 years and also completed all my undergraduate and postgraduate education up until PhD. Change is necessary to broaden you knowledge as a scientist.
Productive work environment
District Logistics Officer (Current Employee) –  Tygerberg Campus, Cape Town30 October 2017
Creates room to grow and development. Encourages self empowerment and personal development. Skillful courses available online and facilitators very well trained.
Pros
Oppertunities available for growth.
Department of Local Government
Marketing and Communication Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tygerberg, Western Cape16 October 2017
I will check out my e-mails and respond accordingly. Check my weekly plan schedule for follow ups of the day. I will attend meetings internally or externally. Liaise with Communication contacts just to find out how they are doing in current projects in their various municipalities. Write articles from events I recently attended.
Pros
Traveling
Cons
Long hours away from home
Harmonious working environment
1st year Microeconomics and Macroeconomics Tutor (Current Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape12 October 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed working with the department of Economics at Stellenbosch University as a tutor. The department, as the management in this regard, made it very easy for us to do our work properly. I was provided with all that I thought I needed and beyond that. The training provided was of a fairly good standard. There was also enough time for me to work on tutoring, lecturing, my academic work, and also to partake in things I like, for example, working out and playing football.
Great geographical and academic environment
Computer science lecturer (Former Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape4 October 2017
I spent most of my time marking, preparing lectures, and teaching very many lectures per week. The students are from very privileged backgrounds but were extremely hard working and devoted.
Pros
Wonderful place to work
Cons
Some colleagues were rather hide bound.
Excellent work environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape11 September 2017
Helpful staff and co-workers combined with well equipped facilities. The opportunity helped me to develop excellent communication and time management skills. I also learned how to work well with people and incorporate different ideas and opinions towards the successful outcome of a project.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
After hours marking
Fun workpalce
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Stellenberg, Western Cape24 August 2017
Stunning town and great student body. Lovely place for anybody interested in an academic career. Research opportunities are great and the hardest part of the job is keeping the students actively engaged.
productivity
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape15 August 2017
environment that allows working happily
organized, helpful and access to many resources to further my skill set, it allows for growth and is productive.

Want to know more about Stellenbosch University?

Ask a question
Productive and fun workplace
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape2 August 2017
My day starts daily with receiving deliveries from different courier services companies then deal with student and academic requests and queries for the day.
Pros
Being able to deal with different clientele on a daily basis.
Cons
Benefits and perks are not market related (13th cheque)
Challenging and fun to work
Adherence Psychosocial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cape Town Tygerberg20 July 2017
Very challenging work environment, productive and fun to work offering a lot of development

Team work orientated and very close relationship on management side.

Working very far from the facilities that we were supporting

The job offered a lot of opportunity
Pros
Paid studies
Cons
Flexible hours
Challenging in all different aspects
Patrol Officer (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape14 July 2017
At first its been a tremendous challenge to adapt to the long hours spend on each shifts especially knight shifts. Time goes by and you get use to the hours. My motivation behind taking the job was the benefits and the opportunity my daughter had to study for free. Enjoyed working with the students and the idea I'm part of the team that ensures their safety on the Campus.
Pros
Medical Aid
Very Fluid environment due to #FeesMustFall campaign
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Stellenbosch7 July 2017
The long term strategy for higher education is the biggest focus point for the Institution, and this strategy then needs to be supported by people, processes and systems.

New structures, processes and systems are being developed via Dedicated Workgroups and projects, and it is a fine balancing act to make all of them stay in sync.
Pros
More than enough annual leave
Cons
Long time taken for final decisions
Productive and Fun
Research Fello (Former Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape6 July 2017
It is the right choice to develop technical knowledge about remote sensing application in environment.I have learned new techniques and broaden my knowledge.
Educative and diverse
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape2 July 2017
Being a tutor at Stellies was an enjoyable experience. The supervision was minimal which allowed you to grow in your own space. It gave me my first opportunity at learning how to deal with people. While I did not get official feedback from the lecturers whose modules I helped tutor, I did get the overall impression from the students that my presence and skill were helpful to their studies
fun and productive work environment
Student Assistant (Door monitor) (Former Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape21 June 2017
The working environment are very professional. As a individuals you are required to be professional at all times. The University give students the opportunity to gain a extra income and experience in terms of how to deal with conflict
Pros
Not under strick supervision
Experience
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape5 June 2017
The opportunity to help students who needs extra support has helped me to think on my feet and understand how other students think. The support from the supervisor was very helpful and the students very friendly.
Productive and Fun
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape25 April 2017
Great environment to be at and grow. Offers learning opportunities and exposure. A normal day comprises of multiskilling of tasks, project management, research objectives,
Easy Student Job
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape16 February 2017
We had covered many of the aspects required to complete the job, This made tutoring certain courses very easy and required minimal set-up time. It was a very rewarding experience as I enjoyed the interaction opportunity with the various students.
Pros
Interaction
Cons
Marking papers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stellenbosch University. Our community is ready to answer.

4,1