Unilever Employee Reviews

Work place was fun
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Durban North, KwaZulu-Natal9 February 2018
Each day I was working with different technologists on a different project for the week. I learnt a lot on how to add ingredients in a formulation as well as how to carry out shelf-life, taste sections and report writing. Management was well organised in R&D as whatever was needed was on the system. There are a number of different cultures and everyone works together like a family. We learn a lot about other colleagues as they come from all around the world. The most enjoyable part was the projects working out at the end which gave me a lot of pleasure. The hardest part was actually finding ways to ensure that the quality of the projects was up to stands after adjustments were made.
Adventurous
Fieldmarketer (Current Employee) –  Boksburg, Gauteng31 January 2018
Waking up each day to go instore and interact with customers is what I enjoy the most. I feel that it's time for me to look at other ventures and new challenges in life. Team spirit and lending a helping hand is 1 of the best things I enjoy. Carrying heavy things such as washing powder has become a walk in the park for me, my own gym. I honestly love my job but doing the same thing for 6 years has taken its toll on me and it's time to move on to greater things in life.
Pros
Tea and lunch breaks
Cons
Rude store management
Limited growth within Finance
Cost Accountant (Former Employee) –  Boksburg, Gauteng25 January 2018
When it comes to work-life balance, Unilever is #1. You have the opportunity to work from home from time to time as long as you perform at the required standard, do not have any meetings that day and meet your deadlines.

As far as Salary, not the best, well below market for Finance roles. Good benefits though such as Medical Aid and 13th Cheque, which many companies do not offer. Performance bonuses are linked to company growth/performance

Working hours can be long especially at month end, stock count or budget season so be prepared to work late and under pressure. No overtime is paid for non-factory roles, including weekend work. There is a lot of pressure from management on finance which made it a stressful environment. If you are looking for career growth in Finance, there is little upward movement, people tend to be rotated at the same level with very few "climbing up the ladder". Very limited training is offered to help upskill the finance teams although they do pay for CIMA (with conditions).

But not all is bad, if you are an Engineer or have a science related degree, the world is your oyster in the factory environment, especially at Unilever. The staff shop is also an added plus.
Fun place to work at.
Area marketer (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal21 January 2018
I enjoyed working at unilever although there was a lot of pressure with regards to deadlines and feedback.
Changes brought about by new management brought about restructure and job losses. This also had an adverse reaction to sales. Loss of sales brought about more restructure. Will not go back to work for unilever because you do not have job job security.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
High pressure
productive and fun
machine process operator (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal18 January 2018
working for unilever makes me to be a team player and be able to work under no supervision .it is a great company to work and I acquired a lot of experience and trainings provided by company.i
Pros
free gifts
Cons
enough hours
Nice company to work for
inservice training (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal17 January 2018
-Unilever is a good company with good people who are always willing to teach everyone around then.
-You learn new things each and every day.
-i learned how to fault find in my own initiative.
Pros
Parcels
Cons
Working till late
Had a good experience working there for 7 years it will be a good to work there again
machine operator (Former Employee) –  Boksburg10 January 2018
Everyday was an experience as I got to learn new ways and forms of approaching problems and sorting them out. This company really cares cares for its employees as safety is the first policy that for me even made me work harder.
Pros
Leaanerships
Cons
Irregular hours
The best environment
field marketer (Former Employee) –  Mpumalanga7 January 2018
I start my day with a floor walk. I check that all merchandisers are present at work. I check for upcoming promotins. I enjoy working under pressure because that is were i get ma adrenalin rush
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Work load during holidays
field marketer (Current Employee) –  Free State7 December 2017
I normally enjoy working with customers which gives me a big interest and challenge for the better goal.Creating sustainable eviroment for better achivements is allways my willing.
Cons
Awesome organisation to work for...
L&D Manager (Current Employee) –  SA - National29 November 2017
Unilever is truly an AMAZING organisation. The current economic situation in the sector & in the country places significant demand on
business to practice more competitively, & cost effectively...

This in turn has resulted in a "shift" in management style & leadership protocol - impacting on the culture & general employment satisfaction.

This has been a key contributor of Unilever's global success - their ability to anticipate change & respond effectively...
Pros
World class contributor...
Cons
Significantly escalating work demands & streamlined rewards

Want to know more about Unilever?

Ask a question
machine operator (Current Employee) –  Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal15 November 2017
Every day work include being productive
learning and giving input
and making sure that you produce good
quality product in a safety way
being to work on time and making sure
that you follow the company policies
Pros
good behaver
Cons
sucsess
fun and a great learning experince
Quality Inspector and Basic Operator (Former Employee) –  Boksburg, Gauteng7 November 2017
The work place had great company culture, and highly innovative place. The expericence facililated growth and networking. meeting new people made the stay special
Pros
subsidized lunch
Cons
long working hours
A big company and with high expectations. Yet workers struggling to buy the product they work with
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal30 October 2017
Enjoyable environment
To be always calm and collected as some customers are rude
Very bias
Customer always right and showing smile
Shouting
Gratitude
Pros
Incentives
Everyday work environment
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng27 October 2017
You results are determined by the amount of work you put in, especially at retail trade level. Our purpose as merchandisers is to drive sales and gain market share at retail trade level. A typical day at work will include merchandising Unilever products on shelf and any other additional adhoc spaces you receive at trade level. This in turns increases the chances of gaining market share against competitors.
Self Driven No supervision
Fitter (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal25 October 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job is to work under pressure everyday, It makes mentally fit to tackle even challenges outside the workplace..........
Pros
Free Lunches when targets met
Cons
Explaining when targets not met
productive and fun plce
universal machine operator (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal12 October 2017
as from I started working at Unilever I can say Unilever is the best company to work for the management is 100 percent ant safety comes first all the times.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
make sure u keep time
The company benefits are so good and the issue will be work life balance
Field Manager (Current Employee) –  Mthatha6 October 2017
The products are so good and so easy to sell and the only issue is the work life balance . It is the best company to work for fun people to be around them
Pros
Outings are good
Cons
Hours of work are so high work till late
I currently enjoy my job, but I am bored and seeking something new
Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  Umhlanga, KwaZulu-Natal20 September 2017
You are left to work on your own . We are responsible for our work, and to make sure that our deadlines are met. Accuracy is of great importance, as you are constantly working with figures. We practice Agile Working, which means you can work from home as long as your deadlines and your responsibilities are met.
Pros
we have a unilever staff shop
Cons
Long hours are expected if the work is not done
flat structure
National Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Durbn19 September 2017
The company has a lot of opportunities but they are for select individuals. The growth rate was too slow for management of certain race. It is too sales driven
Tough, Workplace learning place
Engineering Specialist (Current Employee) –  Midrand, Gauteng18 September 2017
Unilever Lordsview is a fairly new factory. With the pressure of producing Ice Cream for Africa and getting its foundation intact, one would find it hard to balance providing current expectations and also build for stability for future.

The advantage is that one gets to develop working systems and SOPs. That build work capability in a way that any place can give you.
Pros
Great for learning and development
Cons
Long hours. Unhealthy family life

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Unilever. Our community is ready to answer.

4,2