University of Pretoria Employee Reviews

Prodactive and enjoysadble
Agn assistance (Former Employee) –  Pretoria9 December 2017
Working at the university of PTA gave me an experience of a new
adventure of work life. I learned most such as that a work place should be clean always at any cost.
I enjoyed everyday of my duties , the challenging part that I came across was to storm around animals and develop great love for them
And by so doing I adapted to know howto communicate with them.
Pros
Yes i was getting free luches
Cons
Minimum hours
Challenging but productive
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng9 December 2017
This is a great place to boost your self-esteem. Expect to constantly learn and grown under the guidance of the lecturers. Great to put on your CV as experience.
Productive and Fun workplace
Student Mentor/Driver (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng4 December 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job is making a real difference in the community and enhancing social skills. I learned a lot about communities and how to handle pressure. A typical day includes picking students up and delivering them to their respective destinations where they tutor, paint, build, fix and other handy tasks to serve the community.
Progressive work place which is great to develop skills and personality
Junior Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa16 November 2017
Initially started working as a junior lecturer and promoted to lecturer position in two years. The working environment is friendly and motivating. There is high expectation for performance but they provide good guidance.
Pros
Free education
Cons
Work requires more hours than assigned working hours
Demanding. Good opportunities
Post-graduate (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng9 November 2017
The university of Pretoria is a good institution, that offer students good opportunities. But the academic atmosphere is very demanding and stressfull.
Pros
Internationally recognised
Cons
Demanding job
Great place
Senior Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng10 October 2017
Close knit groups.
High student volumes.
Several directions available.
High current ranking.
Modern teaching support computer system.
Nice large campus.
Great workplace
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng26 September 2017
Great workplace. I will recommend it to anyone. The culture is driven but fun and balanced. The organisation is hierarchical but things still get done on all levels.
A Nice Side-Job
Invigilator (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng20 September 2017
Working as an Invigilator is a nice part time job where you only work approximately 3-7 times a semester, during tests and exams and you spend approximately 3-5 hours at one session depending if you are required to help mark the tests or exams afterwards. It has a decent salary in comparison to the hours that you work, the only drawback is that you only get paid at the end of the semester, if you are lucky. So if you work the second semester of the year cosnider it as a nice little christmas bonus. The other drawback is that it isn't guarunteed work, more like first come first served, so you need to apply early.
Pros
Short hours, futures dates set for work time, decent salary in comparison to hours worked.
Cons
only pays out at the end of the semester
Mentorship
Mentee (Former Employee) –  Natural and agricultural sciences13 September 2017
Assisting a Masters student
Introduced me to many laboratory skills I would later use in my own Masters project
The people are friendly and very helpful in maximizing my learning experience.
Very valuable experience
Boring
Research assistance (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng11 September 2017
Boring because I wasn't sure about the job it was not in the field of my job. I was still young at geographic department far away from what I studied and now.
Interesting
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng12 August 2017
Working at a university is interesting. A typical work day involves preparing for a lecture; slides, notes, outlines......the whole thing. Everyday you learn something new as you prepare for class, you may discover something new or come up with a new way approaching a topic. The hardest part about the job is constantly having to come up with ways to relate/communicate what you know to an audience (students) that has never come across that topic before whilst keeping them engaged and interested.
Pros
flexible
Cons
comfort zone
It is productive and fun to work at the University of Pretoria.
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Hatfield, Gauteng9 August 2017
It is a good company with good benefits and self development opportunities. We had a wonderful team and people are friendly. Reprimanding subordinates is hard.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng24 July 2017
Working at the University of Pretoria is great because they pay well, and they are loyal once they have hired you. Your job is secure until you don't need it anymore.
Flexible workplace
Tutoring (GGY 166) (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng23 July 2017
My job required me to mark bonus tests and enter marks. I did this once to twice a week.

I liked the fact that I had flexible working hours, and being a tutor never interfered with my school work.

My lecturers were so awesome.

I learned to work hard, work well under pressure and importantly to be diligent'. If I was given test script to mark, I'd mark them and email my lecturer as soon as possible.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Number of test scrips at times
productive
Internship (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng14 July 2017
It is a productive place to work at, there is alot to be learnt especially for graduate employees. I personally did enjoy my stay at the University and did gain the experience i needed.
Pros
Alot to learn
University
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, South Africa5 July 2017
Nursing department is good, Student support is available if needed. Rotation through multiple field with students being exposed to a variety of conditions and patients.
Pros
Tertiary education
Educational enviorment
Teaching Assistance (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng4 July 2017
Learn a lot in academic environment, of how lectures prepare and support students. It was a lot of fun to help and support fellow student with their preparations.
Hard working company that expects only the best
Part time lecturer (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng3 July 2017
This is a good company to work for. The only challenge is to balance the demands of the work with your personal life. The hours are much more than one can explain and the time spend working after hours to get the job done on the standard expected is tremendous. The students can be challenging, though they are what keeps one going. They are the future and we need to guide them.
Pros
Many learning opportunities
Cons
Long hours even after hours
Computer Science reception Desk Team Leader (Part Time)
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng3 July 2017
The department hired 6 students who work 8 hours a week of which I was appointed by our supervisor as the leader (draft timetable, assign tasks, etc) .

A typical day includes receiving information inquiries via telephone and helping arriving students. We sort and distribute scripts, relay information between students and lecturers, perform ad-hoc admin work such as printing, scanning, binding etc and manage the department's computer labs.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Productive And Fun workplace
Food service supervisor (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng11 June 2017
- Our clients are student, they eat breakfast, lunch and supper every day.
- Don't argue with a client,
- Management always open for new ideas
- Clean as you go, and always on uniform
- Having 0% waste at food service is impossible
- Team work
Pros
Free breakfast and lunch (one meal per day)Two shifts
Cons
40 hours a week, weekend included