Wakefern Food Corporation

Wakefern Food Corporation Employee Reviews in South Africa

hard work,long hours
MANAGING AND DELEGATING CASHIERS (Former Employee) –  Vanderbijlpark, GautengJanuary 28, 2016
everyday was something different, every day layouts must be changed and new products must be ordered every day,i learned alot about sales,stocktakes and being a leader,our management never just give orders they also jumped in and helped the packers and assistents to fix the shelfs and the stock rooms,every worker was treated equilly and got the same respect from management,everydat was a hard day the work never stops and that was both hard and enjoyable for me.
Pros
got our own cars, and bonus every year
Cons
very long hours, and working saterdays and sundays
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Randfontein, GautengApril 5, 2016
• A typical day at work was frustrating but could be handled
• I learned to work as a team at work
• Management was manageable
• My co-workers was more active
• My hardest part was off-loading products of the truck alone
• Most enjoyable part at work was working long hours with co-workers
Stimulating work environment
money market clerk - Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, GautengMarch 29, 2016
Stimulating environment;
Teamwork;
Customer interaction;
Possibility of growth;
Reviewing of previous day's achievements;
The hardest part of the job is knocking off very late;
Enjoyed teamwork and group professionalism
Pros
Room for development in management
big supply chain,
Supply Chain Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Centurion, GautengFebruary 16, 2016
Shoprite Group is one of the biggest retailers in Africa,

the Means their supply chain is just as big, there's a Lot to learn and as a Graduate one would enjoy leaning about supply chain in practice.

Typica day at work would include placing orders, planning for promotional stock, managing reports

handling supplier queries and supplier relationships.
Pros
10 percent off at all shoprite stores
Cons
lack of company culture
HR Administrator
Recruitment Officer (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, GautengJanuary 8, 2016
I would prepare Work permit applications for all employees being mobilized to our Site. Filing leave forms, contracts, sick notes, resignations and terminations of employees.
Prepare reports for work permits and report to Management.
Ensuring compliance in all work permit applications.
Answering and addressing employees enquiries.
Record keeping of all staff information.
Data capturing of all required data.
Filing and assisting with CCMA case preparations
assistant (Current Employee) –  LimpopoFebruary 9, 2016
its was always hectic i learned a lot with my managers and i have enjoyed with my co-workers because with really helped each other and my hardest part was to knock off late even my hours was finished and my most enjoyable part of the job was to be a tiller because you don't concentrate too much on the management you just concentrate on your costumers and the money
Pros
no free launch
no challenges
cashier (Former Employee) –  vanderbijlparkOctober 20, 2015
as a cashier you deal with different types of customers, but because i loved my job i would also pack their groceries for them as we would be short staffed, my co-workers were okay and management understood my personality as i was the loudest cashier but friendly and customers loved that about. even when i left some customers would ask where i was and were left disappointed to hear that i left the company. It was my first job and loved it. But the salary was bad.
Pros
n/a
Cons
interacting with people, learning new things every day kind of job
trainee manager (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, GPNovember 3, 2015
most days are typical due to working with different customers of different environments, in case of poor customer service some customers tend to get aggressive and unfriendly and this happens occasionally. in dealing with such situations most of the time i habe learned humility and how to win peoples hearts and how keep them happy and how to quiet down their aggression. management has a lot of responsibilities and requires good focus, knowing this personally as i am a trainee manager doing management duties everyday . where i work there is good team work, having good team work and communication skills makes things run smoothly and properly its all about understanding each other. the hardest part of being a manager for me is hardly having time for yourself, hobbies and family. the most enjoyable part is everyday touching lives and helping also providing for the nation.
Pros
free lunch
Old Regime Management Style
communications officer (Former Employee) –  Brackenfell, Western CapeDecember 2, 2015
overall culture is awesome. top management has been there since company basically started so they still operate military style and are not keen on new changes. no training available to grow and develop.
Pros
annual bonus
Cons
terrible benefits
This was the place to be, co-workers were initiative and that really put me in a working mood at work. Relationship amongst staff was the best.
Inventory clerk/Truck lolader/Checker (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western CapeMarch 24, 2016
We would laugh most of the time during work, they had sense of humor. The working environment there made it easy for me to do my job. I felt no pressure there because I knew if there was one of us not done loading their truck when it's home time, we wouldn't go but help that one member to finish his truck.
Pros
Over-time benefits
Cons
Hard-labour
Productive and fun work place
SHELF PACKER (Former Employee) –  Sebokeng, GautengJanuary 4, 2016
Everyday was challenging due to irritating customers.
I learned that at all times customers are important and they come first.
Management was fun and strict.
We work well as a team, because you cannot work alone in that invironment.
The hardest part was working late at night.
The fun part was working day shift
Pros
FREE LUNCH DURING NIGHT SHIFT
Cons
LONG HOURS
gives you enough space to work at.
Admin Clerk (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, GautengApril 6, 2016
My typical day will be when its month end when we do recons and sending employees hours although this has taught me a lot about meeting the deadline and be able to send things on time.Well i do enjoy to work alone but working as team with my co-workers was nice we created a nice working environment even though i will be lying if i say we never had any disagreement. The most enjoyable moment is when i am being complemented for a job well done.
Pros
gives you opportunities to learn other department
cashier (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western CapeMarch 9, 2016
loved everyday at work. just needed more earnings and benefits, like medical aid etc. it was always fun and creative. the people were always fun
Pros
free lunches
cashier (Former Employee) –  Witbank, MpumalangaFebruary 5, 2016
It a very producting workplace. ive learn to be patient, how to work with poeple and bieng exposed to do different derpatment each and every day. though sometimes you will never be happy with the management style but it was fun becouse the co-workers were just excellent.The hardest part was that i had to be carefully with the money because i must balance with the system.I Really enjoyed the part of bieng introduced to work in stock counting department
Pros
back pays
Cons
n\a
great systems , good job security, poor relations
Regional Admin Manager / Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  East London, ECOctober 13, 2015
very challenging
poor fellowship amongst management
no family life
relatively easy advancement if you can do the hours
hardest part- too much paper work
Pros
bonuses
Cons
Very fast paced, always busy.
Admin Manager (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, WCJuly 6, 2015
A very fast paced career with lots of focus needed. Every day is something new which can be exciting as well as frustrating. The regional management teams are generally very supportive which is nice, and they want to see you grow.

Hardest part of the job is the excessive hours (sometimes 14hour shifts) and very few days off per month(only one weekend off).

Most enjoyable part of the job is working with such a variety of people makes for great conversations and learning experiences.
Pros
Free lunch and fun meeting new people daily.
Cons
Very long hours, only one weekend off per month, very stressful.
Place for self development opportunities
Picker (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, GPSeptember 12, 2015
I have learn to communicate better with other colleagues.The management is fun and easy to go by.The stuff is always willing to out extra effort into getting the job done.
Pros
Great management team, excellent development opportunities, give-aways
Cons
Low salary, long hours, bad working conditions.
busy periods at work excites me.
Sales manager,fresh food manager.branch manager (Former Employee) –  Musina, LimpopoApril 13, 2016
typical day at work is having not to make target and having to explain why.
what I learn is to make an effort to push harder for the following day and stay ahead.
being a branch manager has thought me to work with all nations and to listen to people and also having to take the hardest decisions.
co workers - ups and down as you have to fight and be friends with them at the same time, because at the end of the day its only work related not personal.
hardest part of the job is having to fire somebody.
preparing for the bosses when they come and the whole atmosphere as they are at the branch.
work place
money market clerk (Former Employee) –  Randfontein, GautengMay 19, 2016
well an typical day at work, would be making sure you there on time,or should i say before that specific time. then make sure your work place was well organised. then make sure you are ready. i met regular customers, since it was at an area where people lived there. i made sure to provide great customer services,always smiling. i did get challenges though. you get rude customers but you should always be calm and thats where its easier solving the customers matter. end of the day i use to make sure my work place is clean and prepared for the next day.
Pros
sometimes you get gifts
productive and funny in terms of work because of knowledge gained
administrative clerk (Former Employee) –  Verulam, ZNJuly 8, 2015
typical day whereby you finish work earlier but you won't be allowed to go home untill the agreemented time comes.

From what i've learned is that no matter what thev situation is or what the obsticles are in life but just focus and do your work properly.

management was good and hard also but depending on the amount of work given during the day because we were not allowed to hand over some work for the following day.

my co-workers some of them were good some were not because sumeone thinks is better than someone else but besides that it was agood working environment indeed

the hardest part of the job ddin't feel any because just loved my job very much so i do not have any difficulties

obvious is pay day everybody enjoys the benefits of being an employee but not only that also being productive in the company

Based on 2 392 reviews