ABB Employee Reviews

Found 90 reviews matching the search See all 3 362 reviews
5,0
Great global company to acquire experience
Associate Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng8 April 2019
Acquired great technical experience in indoor MV Switchgear panels and power system panels (Protection, Control and Metering)
Great local and global management
4,0
Was learning from the Industry and other Engineers.
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bedfordview, Gauteng9 January 2019
Start of with meeting and project reviews.

Design, Plan, Procure, Control and manage Projects.

Good relationships with sub-contractors, high quality of end product.

See Africa through projects.
Good working culture within a good team environment.

Leave ABB for a opportunity to start Project Management company as Shareholder in the Capacitor manufacturing culture.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Long hours and very little family time.
5,0
Productive and welcoming work environment
Desktop Support (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg , Longmeadow Head Office4 January 2019
ABB is a good company, good environment to work in. Since the company is bid, I had a lot of internal customers I had to serve. I learned a lot of things like how to relate to different people, of different levels of seniority. How to help people, communicate and receive and take feedback form them. It helped me understand what the meaning of the saying 'customer comes first', because all I use to do was to make sure that all my customers are happy with the quality of the service I provided to them.
The hardest part of the job was when the network or the server is down. I understood the urgency and criticality of the situation in a way that all the work was getting delayed, and the levels of frustrations increased amongst the people. Some would take out their anger on me. So I had to be patience and try to serve them as best as possible without changing face.
Pros
Team Building outings
Cons
Amount of work because of the size of the company
4,0
Productive and good service delivery.
IT/IS intern (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng5 December 2018
I have learned a lot while doing my service training there I had a great experience, my skills were improved. Everyone was friendly, fun but serious on the job given. The management were strict, stay out of trouble, follow the company policy and rules.
Deadline Drive and Result oriented
Foreign Creditor's Administrator (Former Employee) –  Longmeadow Modderfontein28 September 2018
Exposure to International Banking, Reserve bank regulations and SARS regulatory requirements, the realization that my input impacted on the success or failure of ABB's Existence on the market made me feel relevant
Pros
Customer Relations with other business units
Cons
Limited Growth Opportunity
Diverse Working Culture
Operations Administrator (Former Employee) –  Longmeadow Modderfontein28 September 2018
Deadline driven, customer service satisfaction, helpful and professional working environment . You feel part of the success story and become part of the big ABB Family
Pros
Subsidized Canteen, Learning and development
Cons
Limited growth Opportunity
3,0
Good company to work for, Good work life balance.
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng23 September 2018
Good company to work for, Good work life balance. Growth can be slow and needs to be addressed.The company's systems are well organized with a good support structure overall.
Very good working environment
Information Security Manager (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng24 July 2018
Great environment , you continually improve your knowledge through engaging with colleagues globally. Management is encourages one to always improve professionally
Productive and fast paced
Engineer in Training (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng23 June 2018
ABB South Africa provides a vibrant diversity of departments in which to gain experience. The ability to move departments and continue learning is advantageous, and every employee is treated with long term goals in mind. Every employee has a mentor, and mentors someone below them - this is to ensure transfer of knowledge between employees soon to retire, and employees that are new to the workforce.
Pros
Good people.
Cons
Can work over time.
productivity and growth
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Limpopo, Zambia, Mozambique, Botswana and Gauteng7 May 2018
Enjoyable, productivity, growth, fumy and learning .

I was give a platform to grow and work independently, making informed decision, exposed to new green energy technology

travelling African continent
Pros
good perks
Cons
Long hours and public holidays
4,0
Highly Challenging and highly Rewarding Work environment at all Levels.
Local Product Group Manager (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng30 April 2018
Fast Evolving Technologically advanced working Environment.
Extremely Enjoyable and Fast tracked environment.
Great International Exposure, with many opportunities within career development.
Pros
International Exposure whereby keeping you in check with the latest technology advancements.
Cons
U need to be on your toes.
Promoter (Former Employee) –  Eastern Cape20 April 2018
Management was kind,caring and supportive to me.Workplace was health and the atmosphere was good.The hardest part of the job I was dealing with the customers who want win no matter what.The most enjoyable part I was always communicating with customers.All was well in so much that I felt it was such a short time.I develop self confidence and love for customers, l really enjoyed working there in so much that I still wish to turn the clock I miss everything about my job not forgetting how friendly the management and staff were to me
Cons
Overcrowded as it was easters
Skill development
Proposals Engineer/ Tender and Quote Specialist (Current Employee) –  Modderfontein, Gauteng12 April 2018
ABB is all about improving skills and educating young talent like myself to be great in the business. The hardest part for working for such a huge business is that you must always pull you A game and maintenance the brand's reputation, what I enjoy about working for such an organisation I get to know not just one side of the field which is technical, you also get to know the business aspect of things.
4,0
Project Administrator/ Sales Order Processor (Former Employee) –  Mooderfontein12 March 2018
Was exposed to many things and it thought me how to deal with many customers and suppliers. I have learned to be independent and manage to work under pressure
Pros
free lunches
5,0
Busy, productive and fun company
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg South, Gauteng15 February 2018
I've learned a lot from ABB and I enjoyed working with colleagues from neighbouring countries. I learned to work with customers happy and unhappy, being able to solve situations without a manager by my side. I was independent and learned to calm unhappy customers and deliver what was supposed to be delivered.
Pros
Subsidy for lunch everyday
Cons
Normal hours
Testing technician (Former Employee) –  Kuruman9 January 2018
ABB did hire me boardroom appointments as we were working at Reisa solar field its the best company I ever worked for I dnt have matric but they did hire me
Pros
They did buy us something to eat like cereal at work and coffe
Cons
Perfct hours and well paid
4,0
Productive and great team work
Projects (Former Employee) –  City of Johannesburg, Gauteng13 November 2017
A TYPICAL DAY AT WORK
The days are very busy, starting with a meeting most times and carry on with day to day operations. A lot of liaison with Engineers and Project Managers. Lots of internal communication via email, phone or in person.

WHAT I LEARNED
I started my finance career at ABB and for the 8 years I was there, I learnt so much starting from a debit and credit to working with all the accounting tools. I learnt how a business system work as I worked in business. I learnt leadership skills and I partook in a lot of inhouse courses like advanced excel, SAP superuser, Project Management.

MANAGEMENT
The management at ABB was bottom-up management. Employees contributed a lot to Management decision in a lot of ways and it was great to be part of most decisions.

WORK CULTURE
Relaxed work environment. Honest and integrity being the core.

THE HARDEST PART OF MY JOB
Working very long hours to get the work done and reports on time. I worked on a very high volume Business unit

BEST PART OF MY JOB
I enjoyed every bit of my job, taking decisions and making all necessary recommendations. Just taking charge of my area of work and being trusted enough to handle it all by myself and worked with a great team that made my job so easy and enjoyable
Pros
Medical aid, Pension and Provident fund
Project Analyst (Former Employee) –  Gauteng, Gauteng13 October 2017
Working with different regions gives great exposure. Fast growing. Fast working tempo. Interactive work culture. Great learning abilities and exposure. Strong leadership team
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Innovative and speed
HR Compensation and Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng14 September 2017
A committed and proactive professional who enjoys being an HR rounder in the use of embedded skills and knowledge. Quick to assimilate new ideas, concepts whilst demonstrating a logical and analytical approach to solving complex problems and issues. Able to work well on own initiative while demonstrating the organisation and prioritisation required to achieve tight deadlines and deliverables. A motivational and inspirational professional who enjoys being part of a successful and productive team, and thrives in highly pressurised and challenging working environments.
4,0
typical example of a good and productive workplace
control and instrumentation QA/QC (Former Employee) –  Witbank, Mpumalanga10 September 2017
waking up in the mornings and getting ready for has never been a hesitation to me.Doing what i love and having a deep passion for for it just make my job more easier and consequently simplifies my life. Being a quality controller/ quality assurance is a previlage to me as we have guides such as specifications to follow when conducting inspections, drawings to refer from and assuring that everything is done as per specs and procedures as well as keeping record and delivering on time and avoiding re-works for cost reduction.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
overtime