Here to help: Coronavirus update
Updated: 25 March 2020

ABB Employee Reviews

productive
At ABB we work as a team and is a FIFO cultural company, if we can find a shipment or part of first department it will push us to work overtime at inbound, so we can find it for other department to work. Friday we call it sport day.
Pros
Supsidy
Cons
Nomal hours
Overall impression
High Staff turnaround.
Very high sales budgets

No original management ideas

Middle Management offers no assistance in growing an individual.

No physical training courses done with staff.
Pros
corporate benifits
Cons
No BBBEE culture
Excellent organization
This is where I gained so much experience and growth in my career. I would like to return to ABB. I would say to all candidates looking for opportunities that ABB is the place to be.
Great Work experience
ABB is a good place to learn and collaborate, there are qualified professionals with years and years of experiences available to mentor students and provide professional and career guidance
3,0
Productive, easy to work there and excited
It is nice to work at ABB, it take cares of its employees. There's a lot of learning an employee or Trainee can get, i would really recommend Abb to someone else.
excellent
i enjoyed all those years i did spent at Abb and i am very proud to say Abb made me wht im today .i was part of a team that errected ,serviced and tested breakers from 66kv up 765kv also doing maintance and repair use of forklift overhead crane ,truck mounted crane ,tracing and fixing of gas leaks fixing mech boxes
1,0
Am working as a general worker and technician assistance
I have a lot of experience about solar panels working as a general worker and technician assistance, we were doing induction every week and sign risk assessment before we go to workplace, make sure that each and every one wearing ( PPE)
Pros
01hour
Cons
8hours
Productive and fun workplace
The company is great to work for and to learn a lot from as a graduate, the downside though is that chances of being taken permanent are limited. The most enjoyable part of the job is that there is great work/life balance and the working hours are desirable.
Pros
Lunch subsidies
Cons
No job security for Graduate trainees
Great learning environment
Supportive colleagues and management
Growth Opportunity

Company encourages educating staff

Work-life balance

The company encourages staff to live by the ABB Values, not only at ABB but in their personal day to day life.
Pros
Subsidised meals
Cons
N/a
Multi cultural
- Allowed to use your own discretion.
- You always experience new challenges.

- Fast pace environment.

- System not synchronized

- Applying your knowledge
Pros
Diverse culture
Cons
Reporting structures
5,0
Great global company to acquire experience
Acquired great technical experience in indoor MV Switchgear panels and power system panels (Protection, Control and Metering)
Great local and global management
4,0
Was learning from the Industry and other Engineers.
Start of with meeting and project reviews.

Design, Plan, Procure, Control and manage Projects.

Good relationships with sub-contractors, high quality of end product.

See Africa through projects.

Good working culture within a good team environment.

Leave ABB for a opportunity to start Project Management company as Shareholder in the Capacitor manufacturing culture.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Long hours and very little family time.
5,0
Productive and welcoming work environment
ABB is a good company, good environment to work in. Since the company is bid, I had a lot of internal customers I had to serve. I learned a lot of things like how to relate to different people, of different levels of seniority. How to help people, communicate and receive and take feedback form them. It helped me understand what the meaning of the saying 'customer comes first', because all I use to do was to make sure that all my customers are happy with the quality of the service I provided to them.
The hardest part of the job was when the network or the server is down. I understood the urgency and criticality of the situation in a way that all the work was getting delayed, and the levels of frustrations increased amongst the people. Some would take out their anger on me. So I had to be patience and try to serve them as best as possible without changing face.
Pros
Team Building outings
Cons
Amount of work because of the size of the company
4,0
Productive and good service delivery.
I have learned a lot while doing my service training there I had a great experience, my skills were improved. Everyone was friendly, fun but serious on the job given. The management were strict, stay out of trouble, follow the company policy and rules.
Deadline Drive and Result oriented
Exposure to International Banking, Reserve bank regulations and SARS regulatory requirements, the realization that my input impacted on the success or failure of ABB's Existence on the market made me feel relevant
Pros
Customer Relations with other business units
Cons
Limited Growth Opportunity
Diverse Working Culture
Deadline driven, customer service satisfaction, helpful and professional working environment . You feel part of the success story and become part of the big ABB Family
Pros
Subsidized Canteen, Learning and development
Cons
Limited growth Opportunity
3,0
Good company to work for, Good work life balance.
Good company to work for, Good work life balance. Growth can be slow and needs to be addressed.The company's systems are well organized with a good support structure overall.
Very good working environment
Great environment , you continually improve your knowledge through engaging with colleagues globally. Management is encourages one to always improve professionally
Productive and fast paced
ABB South Africa provides a vibrant diversity of departments in which to gain experience. The ability to move departments and continue learning is advantageous, and every employee is treated with long term goals in mind. Every employee has a mentor, and mentors someone below them - this is to ensure transfer of knowledge between employees soon to retire, and employees that are new to the workforce.
Pros
Good people.
Cons
Can work over time.
productivity and growth
Enjoyable, productivity, growth, fumy and learning .

I was give a platform to grow and work independently, making informed decision, exposed to new green energy technology

travelling African continent
Pros
good perks
Cons
Long hours and public holidays
4,0
Highly Challenging and highly Rewarding Work environment at all Levels.
Fast Evolving Technologically advanced working Environment.
Extremely Enjoyable and Fast tracked environment.

Great International Exposure, with many opportunities within career development.
Pros
International Exposure whereby keeping you in check with the latest technology advancements.
Cons
U need to be on your toes.