Anglo American Employee Reviews in Johannesburg, Gauteng

Found 79 reviews matching the search See all 1 039 reviews
Work life balance
Accounts Clerk (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng20 October 2019
Anglo American is a good company to work for. They are goal driven, always finding ways on how to improve in whatever is done. Innovation is important. Believe in bettering their staff by arranging different training courses as well as on the job training. However some managers lacked on people skills. They believe in work life balance.
Pros
Diversity and Goal driven
Cons
Some Managers lacked people skills as they didn't know how to handle certain issues.
5,0
Excellent experience, great culture, great Remuneration
HR Generalist (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng12 September 2019
Very engaging and excellent environment. I would like to go back
Salary benefits
Work life balance
Agility
Good performance bonus pay
Good retention
5,0
Very Productive and the environment is fun
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng13 August 2019
Anglo American Global Shared Services is an agent under Anglo American which focuses on the Financial (administrations) department of the company in the aim of cutting cost to the company. We the employees always give it our best in order to meet the company's objective and the daily stats. I enjoy working under a cool or friendly environment, i am now looking to advance to a position that is relevant to my studies as i feel that i need to prove myself in that field so i can further my studies knowing that it is for advancing my knowledge to better my capabilities in that field of study.
Pros
apply and achieve Anglo's values at all time.
Cons
flexible working hours
5,0
Very fast paced professional environment
Britehouse Consultant/ Cost and Projects (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng8 April 2019
Would start around 8 with the Information Management team. I learnt a lot about how contractors hired from different companies came together to work as one team. Leant a lot about changing technologies and the financial, project and management functions.
Hardest part was that it was central johannesburg and lots of traffic.
Being rewarded lucratively was a factor that motivated me to do my job but I was only a contractor and was let go due to restructuring, also I was looking to get back into a proper SAP Consultant Job not only work on projects with management.
Pros
Huge selection of free lunches daily
4,0
Challenging assignments leading to job satisfaction
Financial Reporting Co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng19 March 2019
My role consist of the review of financial reporting activities for mining entities. I am a supervisor with 6 direct reports. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I am ably to apply my experience and technical skills to deliver high quality output.
Pros
Company with a good reputation
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Gauteng Johannesburg29 January 2019
Rotating shifts every week was a bit tiring,your body cannot adapt to 3 shifts
I learned allot from Fork lift driver + loading sample weighing samples .Crushing samples.Splitting and Micro Splitting and also Milling and Printing labels
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
7.5 Hours
productive
accounts payable administrator (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng10 January 2019
normal day and i have learned alot.
the work place culture is excellent which makes it a good work place then the hardest part of the job having to work and not take leave on certain occassions
Pros
free lunch
Cons
normal hours
Professional and productive workplace
Personal Assistant to Senior Management (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng27 November 2018
I loved going to work. The people were professional. The company had strict rules that we had to adhere to. The culture was just so amazing. We had respect for each other and had lost of fun aswell.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Lots of meetings :-)
Productive and pressure
IIT Application Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng8 November 2018

 Assisting and handling user calls
 Setup and maintain documentation and standards
 Ensure documents are reviewed as per schedule
do instalation
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
8 hours
4,0
Corporate environment with profits that mattered.
Typist, Promoted to Secretary (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng6 October 2018
I was the secretary who dealt with plant Heads of Department in a gold mine. I was directly reporting to two metallurgical superintendents: typing, screening calls, audio-typing reports. All secretarial duties. Security in the office was of utmost importance with confidential data being prepared each day.

I learned how to work with outside departments and learned communication skills.

Management was hierarchical and working in silos: Engineering dept., metallurgical dept., admin, HR dept., Loss Control and Finance dept. All metallurgical departments directly reporting to the two metallurgical superintendents (my two managers). The metallurgical departments comprised Carbon In Leach, Acid Plant, Gold Plant, Loss Control and Flotation Plant which are metallurgical plants to produce, ultimately, gold. The workplace demanded good work ethic and the ability to work under pressure.

The hardest part of the job was during a slump in the gold price with low motivation, lay-offs and stressful working conditions, taking on extra duties with the corporation austerity measures.

The most enjoyable part of the job was making sure the job was done .
Anglo Platinum Review
Information Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng30 June 2018
I enjoyed me time at Anglo Platinum and learnt a lot from my colleagues.

I started my career with Anglo Platinum and appreciated all the opportunities afforded to me to grow my career.
Collaborative Environment
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg23 May 2018
Professional environment characterized by collaboration and fact based decision making. There is a culture of continuous business improvement and lessons learned inform future decisions
Pros
Wealth of knowledge
Cons
Bussiness is susceptible to external environment
3,0
Fancy company
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng5 April 2018
A good company to work for, it has good rewards and benefits.

It has a gym in the vicinity and that promotes healthy living. Used to have many social events which was an opportunity for employees to know each other.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Travel
Productive Corporate Environment
Help Desk Technician & Systems Support (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng12 January 2018
Focused corporate environment and easy going at the same time.
Learned a lot through monthly workshops and educational events being held.
Very health and safe conscious.
Pros
Gym and Canteen
Cons
Mostly populated through contract employment
Fun workpalce
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng11 January 2018
Am a hard worker i can even work at any conditions and take over time jobs am health. Am a fun person who like to make joks and i love playing soccer that keeps me fet
Pros
my lunch box
Development and fun
Accounts Administrator (Current Employee) –  Jhb CBD22 November 2017
Read incoming emails and respond to queries
Log into SAP customers and Bank account
Clear accounts, send out required docs, invoices and statements
Pros
Open door policy
Cons
not allowed overtime - that is, after 5pm
Preferred choice of employment
PRINCIPAL ROCK ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng24 October 2017
Anglo American is a top tier company that wants to make money yet research possibilities and also care for its employees.

Meet to get daily feedback from previous shifts and prioritise tasks if necessary. Attend management or safety meeting and do planned underground visits when required.

Challenges included monitoring working places for high risks and mentoring and coaching teams to understand the risks involved in specific tasks that may be hazardous if not correctly identified ahead of the task.
Productive, challenging and Growth
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng24 August 2017
Working for GSS has built me to become an excellent person coming to costumer service, I am now able to work on projects alone and in a team. GSS IS THE BEST.
Very diversified businesses
Planning and Scheduling Specialist (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg18 May 2017
Very big corporation with multiple commodities. Need to focus on core business. Too much petit political issues. Not clear succession plan and personnel development plan.
Pros
Family oriented
Cons
Uncertain restructuring programme
5,0
I am working as an IT assistant
IT Assistant (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng20 April 2017
Anglo american is well stable company,I am working as an IT assistant.I am helping the technician when there is any employees moving with their electronic staff within the office building
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Normal working hours