Barclays Employee Reviews

Productive and challenging environment
International Trade Area Manager (VP) (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng30 August 2018
Productive and challenging environment, Good company culture, open to creativity and innovative contribution from the staff members. New brand with new possibilities.
Productive and fun work
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng28 August 2018
Very informative, productive and Fun, great environment, Good Management, working hours flexible, daily reports done every Department had energy and Freedom to perform
Pros
Scheduled
Cons
8hours
Great Experience
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sandton, Gauteng22 May 2018
Day started late due and learned about instruments used in Europe and the how to run exposure reposts. PnL reporting was very important. Good relationship with Traders made life easier
Benefits
Cons
Long Hours
Barclays is an exciting place to work
IT Executive Head of Technology (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng26 April 2018
A typical days work involves looking after my departments progress on specific in flight tasks, getting together with the leadership team to execute on our strategy which includes new ways of work, enhancing the culture, discussing new technologies and defining strategies to enable both the people and the technology.
I've learned to be prepared to fail at trying new things and persevere if they are worthwhile. The culture is "old" in some areas and new in others.
Pros
New ways of working like devops and agile and the free food
Cons
some old culture - some new (not always aligned)
Exciting possibilities
Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng22 April 2018
Absa is a dynamic place to work.
The people I work with are energetic and open to new ways of work.
We challenge ideas and encourage creativity within the scope of the banking regulations.
Pros
Bank interest rate, freedom to create in-house learning
Cons
Traffic into Johannesburg
Productive environment
Facilitator of the implementation (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg17 April 2018
Very challenging and productive environment. Engagement and empowerment of employees was foremost in the minds of management. A learning environment that encouraged the development and management of employee careers,
Pros
Very challenging and demanding environment
Cons
Work life balance
Excellent customer service
ORGANISATIONAL DESIGN SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng5 April 2018
I worked with an excellent team of young people and were always supportive of each other. We will always hold seminars to share best practices and to develop each other.
Pros
Free coffee and tea
Cons
congested training schedule
Fun working environment.
Service Consultant (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng7 March 2018
Great company to work for.
However the focus is more on servicing clients and getting the job done by any cost which leaves very less room for employee appreciation or care and consideration for employees.
Pros
Free coffee, great food at the cantiene, beautiful building
Cons
Repetitive work
Funwork is when i carry educational teaching in financal literacy
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  SELEBI PHIKWE7 February 2018
I learned how to deal with different kinds of people,was able to identify their needs and solve problems,had loyal understanding of peoples lifes and how to tackle themthe hardest moment is when i meet someone who needs my advice and that i can provide was to their limitation in which they never achieve their goals.my joy was when i help customers resolve their financial strains and i get a blessing for that.
Pros
had times where lunch was offered by my employeer
Cons
always worked long hours in overtime because of load of work
Opportunity for Growth & Career Advancement
Project Management (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng5 February 2018
Large corporate with many fields of expertise which provides an excellent platform for long term career growth.
Opportunity for personal development through formal and informal training programmes.
Pros
Emphasis on staff upskilling and training
Cons
Duplication of roles across business units
Great organization
Sales, Administration and SegmenT (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng25 January 2018
The work at the company was stimulating both personally and professionally. The values of respect ,service and stewardship are great.The culture of teamwork is outstanding. Being with the company assisted me to improve my understanding of different clients temperament and boosting my financial skills and financial wellness.

The hardest part of the job was when systems and policies did not enable one to execute the functions assigned.

The most enjoyable component of the work was to interact with both workmates and clients alike.
Benefits
Cons
different it systems not aligned.
Stewardship and Respect
Channel Manager - H2H SA and ROA (Former Employee) –  CBD Johannesburg17 January 2018
Teams engaged well and everyone has an opportunity to raise their concerns. Time lines are met with the correct team balance and cost savings are one of the drivers to modernise the current business and IT processes
Pros
Regualar Startegy workshops
Cons
Long work hours to meet time lines
Exciting and very challenging
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng1 November 2017
Barclay's has given an opportunity of a life time working there made learn how to really work under pressure. The management there was very supportive in helping you where you were lacking.
Barclays Africa
Financial Crime Assurance Consultant (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng27 October 2017
It's a great place to work but I am keen on furthering my career in the Europe or UK as I feel this is where my strengths lie and to be honest, I miss the European way of working (I used to work for a German company) .
work, work and no fun
Officer (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng11 October 2017
A typical day at work will be to attend a Buzz meeting, resolve queries and send out instructions to the attorney's, and do compliance trainings and train on functions that I am not versatile on so to assist should there be a crises.

I have learned that I should aquire all the skills required by the business to secure my position.

Managent is always supportive, and continuasly update us of the current and coming changes.

It is a busy and complex environment that requires full attention, maturity and quality service.

The complexity about the job is that most of the time forms/letters that we use for our clients changes and the sometimes the instruction is not clear so to enable to fulfil the instruction and we are not dealing with instructions with the similar senario.
Banking all aspects
BANK CLERK TO SUB ACCOUNTANT (Former Employee) –  CapeTown later Transvaal23 September 2017
Start at the bottom and work your way up.
Started sorting cheques by hand, learnt new skills and then moved to the next step. This led the way to teach me to learn as much as possible to improve your work position. was transferred to Transvaal
as a sub accountant to a large branch.
Pros
Half day wednesday and every 2nd Saturday off.
Cons
Low paying job, slow with promotions
Reward Specialist VP (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, south africa31 July 2017
A superb place to work with excellent benefits. The vehicle and asset finance benefits are the most attractive. The company culture is very driven but good performance is rewarded.
Absa Commercial Property Finance
Head: Debt Capital markets Legal (Current Employee) –  Sandton, Gauteng31 July 2017
I started here fresh from having performed a similar function at FNB.

I was exposed to a larger porfolio and more structured deals which assisting in growing my experience and knowledge base.
Very good and innovative financial institution to work for
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  South Africa16 July 2017
Innovative and with great management teams and introducing technology in Rest of Africa and seeing impact to business operations was most enjoyable. The work culture is great and most enjoyable with sense of achievement
Front Office, Banking Environment
Teller (Former Employee) –  Rhodesia and Bloemfontein13 July 2017
I enjoyed working with the public and the introduction to the world of finance. This was an interesting, enjoyable environment. As my first job it was a good introduction to a working environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barclays. Our community is ready to answer.

4,0