British Council Employee Reviews

productive but not so fun to work in.
business support service assistant (Former Employee) –  johhannesburg18 June 2017
Getting to work with different people in terms of culture and race. Get to travel once in a while. Open plan working environment and reasonable working hours.
Pros
free lunches during training
Intense working atmosphere
Invigilator (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng1 June 2017
I was exposed to working with different nationalities and working under pressure as well and as such my people skills were improved as I dealt with different people everyday. The job I did needed patience, commitment, understanding and meticulousness which I was never found wanting. My job also entailed confidentiality as we dealt with examinations and results of many people which included at times travelling to out of Johannesburg examination centres and extra caution was expected in securing those examination papers.
Pros
Shouldering huge responsibility of securing examination papers
Cons
Working very long hours at times until at night
Library atmosphere
Examinations Manager (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal16 March 2017
This was a small office in Durban with small staff complement.
Great benefits
Good management
Independent working environment
office no longer exists in Durban due to relocation of services offered
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Not much staff to interact with
How to deal with difficult customers or clients
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Gauteng1 March 2016
At first I could not handle difficult customers because I could not manage my temper. As time went by I was able to deal with difficult customers as I learnt how to manage my anger and always out myself in the customers shoes.

One thing I enjoyed was to study customers minds and always think ahead of them. With my lovely smile I became the best in what I did.

Lastly I enjoy traveling and meeting new people and through british council I managed to do that. I have been to almost all the provinces in south africa and to countries outside as well. Countries such as angola
Highly Productive Environment
Business Support Services and Development Officer (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg North, GP30 March 2015
The British Council is a cultural relations non profit UK organization that focuses mainly on establishing relationships with African countries and the UK by means of projects, arts and english and society.

It is a great organization to work for as it is a internationally established organization. we work under a nice envirnoment in a open plan office with minimal supervision.

I currently work in the Resources department with the following management structure - Country Director, Compliance Manager, Operations Manager, Business Support Service and Development Officers, Assistance and Office Driver. Management is ok at the British Council however it does need a lot of improvement.

There are many challenges in my job consibering that i provide support to the whole directorate however i would say the greatest part of my job would be lack of support from management where needed.

I enjoy my job very much, however i have reached a point where u feel i can not grow any further and i need personal growth, new chalenges and an increase in financial strength.
Pros
Free phone, and mobile phone, flexible hours and laidback environment
Cons
little pay and not very well groomed management
Great Opportunity to explore different sectors ranging from the Arts, Leadership, Community Development, Education & Sports
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Dunkeld, GP14 August 2014
Delivering programmes accross the length and breadth of south africa. Learnt great project management skills.

Enjoyed travelling and Interacting with people from various backgrounds
Pros
Travelling on Programmes and company benefits were good
Cons
It was a very small company
Implementation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Rosebank, GP6 November 2013
*Making sure that tasks are completed as per requested
*There is always something new to learn everyday and something to show in the IT environment
*Time and Work priority Management is key in my what I do
*Team Work has become a norm due the nature of the problem solving
*if the client is unhappy
*To make sure the client is always happy
Excellent organisation to work for during a year out abroad
English Language Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barcelona, CT5 September 2013
Excellent organisation to work for whilst living abroad for a year. Offer good advice and support. Money is decent, but few hours.
Organisation leadership sits in UK
HR Manager (Sub Sahara Region) (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, GP3 September 2013
BC is a NGO.
No clear policies and procedures
Management is not good
Pros
Busaries for employees
Cons
No job security
Drinks on Fridays
HEAD MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg19 September 2012
Very busy and high pressured environment and high demanding clients. Supportiv co-workers.
Cons
lack of management support

Want to know more about British Council?

Ask a question