Cape Peninsula University of Technology Employee Reviews for Administrative Assistant

convenient
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape16 May 2018
its very convenient especial as student also here. since 2016 when i started working here the challenge would be being put on contract, this works against you, as you have to worry about renewal of contract every year.
Pros
free printing
Cons
not much growth
Job Placement opportunities
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bellville, Western Cape16 April 2018
The institution often offers temporary placement which makes one uncertain of the future. Although that is the case but the work environment is of a high standard according to OHS regulations which really makes one feel as part of the team more especially to the physically disabled workers.
Pros
Benefits/ work culture/ Management style/ Growth opportunities
Cons
Contract employment/ Logistics in terms of infrastructure
Good Aspects of working at CPUT
Admin Assistant-Department of Architecture (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape7 July 2016
CPUT is a great place to be at. You are open to different cultures, working environments, working experience and meeting new and different people. You can learn so much from just working at CPUT regarding, work, studies, ways of looking at things. You have the opportunity to improve your life by studying with assistance from the institution.
Pros
Assistance with studies, good working hours
Cons
No cons
Productive and Best Workplace
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape5 November 2015
my day starts from 7am when the academics come to worl. My job entails working closely with students and lectuers. I also deal with a lot of external and internal clients, i'm the brand of my organisation, therefore how i interact with people is very important. I have learnt that people are not the same and they all have a story to tell. Working at an instution of higher learning you need to give attention to detail with all that you do, because you handle student marks, exam papers and you need to be discreet. Hardest part is when a student comes to you with a problem and you know that he or she is being treated unfairly but you cannot share that information with them, because its unethical. When a student or lecturer comes back and say thank you.
Pros
When procurement process goes smooth
Cons
Internal processes
3,0
challenging
Administrative Assistant / Office Support (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, WC21 July 2014
The institute is massive and this presents many challenges, most challenges are positive and the not so positive ones you can learn by it also keeping in mind that changes will occur in a massive institute. You learn each and every day something new, you also being stimulated by young, new, great ideas because you interact with youth and also older people. Depending in which department you work as some departments still adopt the old way of thinking and working. The hardest part of the job is the academics attitude towards ordinary workers but I enjoy my day because each day I learn something new. The institute also offers employement of either permanent or part time (1year contracts) and if you on a 1 year contract or less you dont enjoy any benefits (i.e housing subsidy, medica aid, pension etc)
Life long learning environment
Administrative Assitant (Current Employee) –  Cape Town10 December 2012
CPUT is a very productive environment whereby you are constantly busy and you are continuously learning about the new policies and procedure. Working with students, lecturers, management and external parties allows one to enhance ones communication and networking skills. I have used many of my administrative skills and have learnt additional skills such as events and project management. The CPUT team is great especially management as they allow an open relationship. The hardest part of my job would be having to deal with students that do not meet the criteria to study at the institution. The most enjoyable part of my job is assisting students.
Pros
relaxed working environment.
Cons
becoming a permanent staff member is difficult.
5,0
productive, busy and very stressful workplace
Administrative Assistant FET: Specialisation (Current Employee) –  Mowbray, Western Cape20 November 2012
Dealing with all kinds of student issues ranging from a personal to a financial nature. Setting up of classroom and examination venues, assisting lecturers with administration, liasing with invigilators. I am also responsible for all office administration, liasing with service providers and other departments within CPUT. I have come to realise that as as secretary for a Higher education Institution, you become the "Jill of All trades". You become photocpy technician, electrician, caterer, counsellor, friend, all round problem solver.

I have an excellent relationship with my colleages and Academic staff and have yet to meet a challenge that I am not willing to tackle head-on. The hardest part of my job is knowing when to quit. Being slack is not part of my nature of job description. I will only ask for help if all avenues have been exhausted. The best part of the job is getting a thank you and a well done at the end of the day. Then you know that all the stress and hardship has not been in vain. My main goal is to see that the Academic process is as smooth as it can possibly be for both students and staff.
Pros
opportunities for self improvement
Cons
job insecurity. getting paid by the hour whilst on contract