Cape Union Mart Employee Reviews

productive and fun workplace
PPT (Current Employee) –  Kuruman, Northern Cape3 January 2019
typical day will be serving customer service the best way possible.
Learned a lot about camping and out door staff it is very interesting.
Store leaders are always there to listen and assist the staff were possible.
Constructive Workplace
Sales Assistant / Equipment Department Specialist (Former Employee) –  Canal Walk, Western Cape29 October 2018
The company's environment was enjoyable to work for. Everything was done professionally. A uniform was provided. Staff management were considerate regarding family emergencies and leave.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Long Hours
productive and fun
Admin Manager / assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng vanderbilpark26 October 2018
working with customer service, training of all new products, get the opportunity to grow with in the company, stock take is always the hardest part of the job,
Pros
training
Cons
stock take
Productive and fun
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape9 October 2018
Everything was great just the hours were not good because of retail hours coming home late after 8 pm was not great especailly when you are a mother and have kids that are still at school that still needs to be assisted with school work.
5,0
very productive and fun workplace to work on
Technical sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Western Cape6 October 2018
wow i enjoyed working for such and great high end growing retailer such as cape union mart i have enjoyed my time and service at cape union mart for the past 3 years. great working culture/ fun environment/motivating staff and ,management great working experience indeed
Pros
hiking activities
Cons
short working hours
Good for Casuals
Sales Assitant (Former Employee) –  Tygervalley, Western Cape28 August 2018
Hours are long and usually according to the mall times. This job is great for students/casuals/part time and especially awesome to gain experience in the retail sector for recent matriculants
Pros
discounts
Cons
boring
Productive and enjoyable environment
SALES ASSISTANT (PART TIME) (Former Employee) –  Nelspruit, Mpumalanga2 August 2018
Each day had its own challenges and fun moments, each day i was expected to have a conversation with the customers were by i was helping them to choose in our different products. I've learned that each customer always had an idea of what he/she want and it is not always easy to convince one to buy something they did not come for, i was expected to have a strategy of convincing them on what to buy by telling them more about the benefits of each product. The management of the store is well demonstrated or conducted since the managers are well skilled and trained, each manager knew on how to use their skills towards their colleagues regarding decision making and motivating us each morning. The workplace culture is not difficult to adapt since you are expected to be always on time and have an acceptable attitude towards customers, each morning one manager would conduct a small meeting briefing and motivating the colleagues. The hardest part of the job was when you had to help a rude moody customer, the most enjoyable part of the job was that you meet different people where by sometimes you get to learn new languages or be told interesting stories about why they need a certain product.
fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Century City, Western Cape24 July 2018
i learned about customer services
i worked hard . 5 days a week
3pm-9pm or 8-3pm
enjoyable was assisting the customers, knowing what they wanted and they would write out a compliment carrd for your had work
productive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gauteng9 July 2018
Cape Union Mart is great.

Long hours that you would have to work.

I don't always agree how the managers speak to the sales consultants.

Consultants always fight
Pros
off days
Cons
conflict
Sales vibes
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Gardens, Western Cape7 June 2018
The environment of making sales every day, reaching targeted total turn overs. Making money through product knowledge. Understanding of adventurous life.
Pros
stuff discount
Cons
racism

Want to know more about Cape Union Mart?

Ask a question
4,0
Fun place work for and keeping their culture as well
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng18 May 2018
Working for the company it was good it teaching you customer service you value them in store not by buying only but building a good relationship with them. I belive for people know to your brand and the name of the store it all goes down to the service you gave them.
Pros
Customer service First
Very productive
Sales assistant/assistance manager (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng17 May 2018
I really enjoyed my time there, they understand great customer service, lovely management whom is in touch with their own employees. The culture there is absolutely stunning!
Pros
Job security, lovely people, care for the stuff
Knowledgeable
Sales Assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng11 May 2018
In this workplace got to learn about products and they purpose what different materials can do for you in cold weathers and when you go out for hikes.
Pros
Friendly people, getting to learn
Cons
Working on public holidays
Just a casual position.
Casual worker (Former Employee) –  East London, Eastern Cape5 April 2018
Cape Union Mart was a casual job I applied for to start gaining basic work experiences. I was only employed for a short period, but it was a good first job experience.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Long retail hours
Cape Union Mart, not the best place nor worst
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape28 February 2018
It was fun working for me in the beginning as it was my first job, I have been taught a lot of things (small or big) that I have been grateful for. The salary wasn’t the best and growth was really slow. Very average company to work for, especially working at the bottom.
Pros
Training on customer service was never ending
Cons
Bad salary, awkward hours
Productive An Fine Work place
general worker (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape26 February 2018
A good working environment, team work. I enjoyed my time there very much, the stuff and bosses are always there to assist not only at work, but if you have a personal problem they are there to lend you a hand.
The salary and also the overtime was good.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Long Hours
Productive workplace
Sales Assistant and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Paarl, Western Cape26 February 2018
My Days was always interesting and productive
I've learned to work under pressure, set goals and do your work professionally.
How to work with people, to understand them and to assist them with my knowledge and to learn from them as well.
I always stay calm in whatever situation there was and handled it well. Always stay positive and strive to do the best you can.
I always felt good when the job was well done and Management or the Employer was satisfied and happy.
exhausting
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng9 February 2018
I learned allot at this company about what it was that I really want to do with my time. they gave me so many opportunities that I will be great full for
4,0
This Company really suceeds in their training ,they have you attend trainings at head office which is so informative about the company .
Sales Assistant/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Western Cape7 February 2018
I think Cape Union Mart is a great company to work for whether you at store Level or even at head office. The company is very warm and loving they care for the staff employed their .If you someone who likes working and not standing around this is the company to work for because Cape Union Mart stores are so huge filled with different equipment ,Garments and gadgets you can unpacking and merchandising. Overall the culture is great and if you a student and adventurous a Cape Union Mart Store is for You!
Pros
There is room for growth in the company even to a head office postion
Cons
if you a not permanant your chances of gettinf a weekend off is very very very low
4,0
Fun with a heavy work load
Online and store sales (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape6 February 2018
I enjoyed working here, worked really well with the team and got the job done. A lot of hard work and hours but it taught me patience and determination