Council For Scientific and Industrial Research Employee Reviews

Friendly and supportive environment
Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng23 May 2019
CSIR is a government research institute where scientists from all fields can conduct their research. The bioscience department is friendly and supportive, however, funding is limited and many of the researchers struggle to get project funding and do not have job security.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
Funding
High pressure
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng17 May 2019
CSIR has been going through changes that let a lot of employees unsettled. As they say change comes with risk; many people have been worried about the future of the CSIR and their job security; other than that I have enjoyed my years at the CSIR and have matured as a professional through exposure and opportunities CSIR has given me.
Pros
flexi hours
Cons
no benefits
productive and fun indeed
inservice trainee (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng14 April 2019
ive learnt a great deal in working for this company though i was a student but the people at this business unit will accommodate each new one like they belonged to the company long before, i learnt a lot of fascinating recent technologies.
one wouldn't say there was a difficult part of this company. I really enjoyed the art of science at the instituition
Pros
no limitations in terms of capabilities
Cons
i felt like i knock off early, i would remain behind
productive and fun workplace
Technician (Former Employee) –  Eastern Cape,Cofimvaba4 March 2019
the most enjoyable part of the job is that you get to work with people with more experience, they groom you to be the best. I learnt how to trouble shoot,also how to work with small children. the most hardest part of the job was to generate weekly report for 8 schools. overall it was nice working with csir
Pros
free WiFi
Cons
weekly reports
Great culture. Productive environment
EXECUTIVE RECEPTIONIST (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng13 February 2019
This is a great company to work for if you are looking for a job out of school to build your skill set and CV. Raises are few and far between, but the company consistently hires amazing people and the culture is a great reason to stay.
Conducive workplace
Enterprise Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal29 January 2019
Conducive workplace and flexibility in terms of working at your pace as long as you plan your work and deliver on due date.

Team leaders communicate
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
writing long reports
Progressive Work Environment
Senior Researcher, Built Environment (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, ZA24 January 2019
The CSIR continuously encourages its Researchers and Scientists to pursue further educational and personal development through various career development programmes and platforms
4,0
Flexible hours and productive environment
Process Technologist (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng11 January 2019
Lots of opportunities as a student and exposure to work with experienced scientists. Getting to work with SMME's towards delivering their products before going to market.
Very good organisation
Sr. HR Practitioner (Current Employee) –  South Africa30 August 2018
Nice environment ,opportunity for growth and enhancement
Good career pathing.
Good communication from top to bottom.
CSIR is passionate about training and development of the staff, so far the training is in line to what you are appointed to do, you will be supported all the way.
3,0
Good
Regional Training and Development Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng8 August 2018
Management is always willing to listen your work experiences, the good thing if you lacking some skills they always make their means to send you to trainings.
Highly efficient work environment
Engineer/Technologist/Knowledge applicator (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng23 July 2018
The overall experience was very good - friendly co-workers, HR department, etc. The work was challenging and worked under pressure which was exhilarating at times. The direct management however was lacking and unfair.
3,0
Good R&D company but can do better
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng4 July 2018
We conduct research that should benefit South African. Some of the research is turned into a business while other is communicated by means of reports, articles and presentations.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No incentives;
2,0
Relaxed workplace
Management Accountant (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng9 May 2018
I learned a lot at the CSIR working with more than 10 different units.
The workplace is relaxed and you have a work life balance
The CSIR researchers are doing great work.
Pros
Market related salaries
Cons
No career improvement and also no leadership
Csir
Office Administration & Events Consultant (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng20 April 2018
a typical day at work, events management.

I have learned to work well with others

I Managed exhibitions and events

Workplace culture, It was very warm

The hardest was dealing with people who did appreciate

When preparing for awards
Pros
Sometimes
Cons
1 hour
Flexibility to grow
Water scientist (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Eastern Cape26 February 2018
Gaining of exposure into different research sectors and involvement in different strategic partnerships.
Flexible working hours and exposure into working with other institutions.
Excellent exposure
Events and Youth Outreach Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng2 February 2018
As a natural relationship builder, I am equipped with the vision and purpose to drive organizational change and am able to adapt positively to any challenges that arise both personally and professionally.

I am a self-starter who is goal-driven, dynamic and passionate in my dealings with people and business.

I am an excellent communicator and networker with well-developed interpersonal skills. I am a team player and have the ability to form trusted relationships with subordinates, clients as well as superiors.

I have a proven track record of responsibility, integrity and commitment to company objectives.

I am confident that I can bring the same level of high performance to your company. Beyond that, which is already mentioned in my attached resume, I am someone who knows how to set goals and achieve them and have a proven track record of being able to conceive, develop and execute strategies.

I feel certain that the skills I have gained throughout my career will be of value to you and your organization.

Thank you for taking the time to read through my application in regards to the position advertised by your company.
Pros
Growth
Cons
Transformation
Awards Ceremonies
Financial Treasury Officer (Current Employee) –  Pretoria11 January 2018
they recognise hard work and dedication of their employees by giving them awards.

I got promotion because of my hard work. They pay for my studies as I am busy with my post grad. My manager encourages me to improve my career. I love the fact that I work with nice co-workers as a team. I get joy form my bank recon balancing
Pros
Overtime at times and get paid
Cons
No medial aid subsidy
Research and Technology innovations
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape13 November 2017
Its been a good journey with CSIR for the just over 7 years. Enjoyed working as a support technician for both Pretoria and Cape Town offices were I was supporting both Windows and Linux platforms.
Outstanding
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng1 November 2017
Tough work but great exposure and growth within the organization.
The team leads help the juniors a lot that way they learn and grow their knowledge.
Pros
Good Working Envirnment
Cons
Too serious
Dynamic and technical environment
Researcher (Waste Beneficiation/ Management) (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal30 October 2017
Working as a researcher is a rewarding experience as you make collaborations with various industrial partners and form mutually-beneficial relations. The hardest part about the job is waiting for samples from Industry- this can be tricky and time-consuming. However, the testing and development is fun and exciting.
Pros
Flexible working times
Cons
Industrial sample sourcing is time-consuming