Cum Books Employee Reviews

Good environment
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Witbank18 December 2018
Good working conditions helpful area manager
Culture of family
Enjoy spreading the Word of God
Job security
Good benefits available like medixal aid and provision fund
Pros
Christian environment
Cons
Retail hours
3,0
Learnt organisational and people skills
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  East London, Eastern Cape27 April 2018
A typical day at work consisted of assisting customers with their queries, giving product information and organizing products in a systematic way.
I learnt plenty about customer service and working with others. The store was a Christian book/ gift shop and so I had to represent the stores values in the way that I conversed with customers and treated them.
I cannot really say there was anything hard about the job, it was pretty straight-forward and easy.
I enjoyed interacting with the customers and being with my colleagues as they were nice people.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Unreasonably low pay
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Gauteng, Gauteng15 January 2018
Good working relationship with my colleagues.interacting with customers.good communication skills.always punctual nd a team player.harworker and eager to learn.
Pros
Day off
Great work experience.
customer service (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng3 December 2017
Great corporate culture. Friendly and supportive colleges. Allows growth and initiative. Great first-time job with no experience required. Highly recommended.
3,0
Great company to work for
Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Vereeniging, Gauteng17 November 2017
Company gave me a lot of opportunities to grow. The company culture is great...a great environment to work in. The CEO has respect for his employs and wishes them to grow with the company
Peaceful and fun workplace
Store assistant (casual) (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal21 October 2017
my experience at the store was fantastic, the staff there is amazing to work with including management. I was taught a lot regarding customer service and how to communicate with people.
Pros
staff discounts
Cons
hours were too little during mid-year
4,0
Professional and a good start
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng16 June 2017
It's a very professional setting, the staff is friendly the management, not so much. The supervisors, it depends. It is a good start for those who are starting out.

Get familiar with the products and services, see if growing in it is possible for you, and you decide.
Pros
Get to read free books, discounted products for you.
Cons
One off day per week, not Sundays at most
5,0
Supportive, focused, highly motivated and customer dedicated
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg South, Gauteng11 April 2017
The organisation was an amazing experience since it being my first job. The management and fellow colleagues are 100% dedicated and are very supportive. The working environment is very energetic, which naturally motivates you to achieve more. Customer service is very excellent, and the employees are the most bubbly people i have met, they made my adaption to the environment easier and much fun.
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
Unusual working hours
2,0
Co-workers was great fun to work with.
Permanent Part Time Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vereeniging, Gauteng27 March 2017
Very long hours and financially not rewarding! If it wasn't for the people that I worked with I would've hated my job and some customers made it worth while.
fun workplace. interesting environment
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Centurion, Gauteng20 March 2017
The staff is great and the management is passionate about assisting everyone to feel like an important part of the team. The customers are a bit of a challenge, especially during the festive seasons but overall the atmosphere is great.
Pros
Christian staff
Cons
long hours. poor work incentive
Fun workplace
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Potchefstroom, North West2 January 2017
A typical day at work is challenging, as it is fast paced and time management is critical. I see clients on a daily basis to help them, by making their lives easier, by providing them with Internet Services.
I have learned a lot from my time at this company, I've learned to manage my time and to get as much done as possible. I have also learned a lot of technical skills from this company, from what certain things are and how it is used. Problems are a daily thing that needs to be sorted out, thus problem-solving skills are learned. Management is very helpful and will always help when they are needed, they are always there for you. Co-workers themselves always help you when they can, they are always friendly. The hardest part of the job is to get everything done on time, also dealing with difficult clients and solving their problems. Seeing people happy and being able to help people to the best of your ability.
average working place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal27 October 2016
Place is ok but could do better for the way of treating their staff. Was a good place just do not look after their own staff. There were sometimes that it felt like a family group
Pros
days off
Cons
extremely long hours
5,0
productive and pleasant to work at
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng26 September 2016
A typical day at work included running around fetching book and cds for customers. I learned to communicate and to be patient with everyone. The management is understanding but also strict. The co-workers are great and human too. However, the hardest part of the job included packing large quantity stock on a shelf that was smaller. But that challenged me to be creative and driven. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was customer service because I love working with people
Pros
great stuff, free lunches after big sales
Cons
long hours, not enough money
An amazing Experience
Casual Shop assistant (Former Employee) –  West Rand, Gauteng10 September 2016
Learnt a lot and met wonderful people who had so much knowledge, Defiantly learnt a lot from my time working here. Was fun most of the time and others was hard work
Pros
Freindly coworkers
Cons
Interfeared with my collage work
Workedas casual
Casual Worker (Former Employee) –  Potchefstroom, North West23 April 2016
I only worked as casual while studding Only worked on holidays and weekends. The hours are a lot and the salary is not very good, even permanent staff get low salary .
5,0
Built an awesome team in a short period of time. Awesome.
Manager (Former Employee) –  East London, EC15 March 2015
Banking admin duties to be completed first thing in the morning.

Great team was built in a very short period of time, which was awesome.

All staff knew exactly what their duties were, which made the running of the store so much easier.

A person needs to be a great leader in order to get the backing of all your staff.

Hardest part of the job was looking for new and innovative ideas in order to make the monthly and daily targets.

Most enjoyable part was having a great team behind me, which made working so much more fun.
Pros
Able to work on my own, .
3,0
I am a team player, but quite able to manage, supervise, delegate and organize on my own if needed.
Sales Assistant/Admin Clerk (Current Employee) –  Bloemfontein, FS1 November 2014
Attention to detail and good telephone etiquette
Accurate in handling and balancing cash
Strong organization and co-ordination skills
Good writing and language skills
Hard working and good administration skills
Pro-active, energetic and responsible
Willing to learn to improve my skills
Loyal, professional, friendly, honest and reliable
Professional yet fun.
Supervisor with Admin Duties (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, WC29 July 2014
Everyone has own duties.
Work as team.
Relaxed atmosphere.
Cons
Retail hours.
Sales driven environment
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, WC7 August 2013
Staff meeting - setting target for the day and month.
Delegating tasks and responsibilities.
Ordering of stock - stock control.
Reporting on sales.
Risk management.
Staff motivation and training.
Monitoring and controlling of work flow as well as coaching of staff.
Ensure friendly and helpful customer service.
Pros
Diversity of daily tasks
Cons
Family business
3,0
Colleages are great to get along with - fun and like a second family
Admin Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vereeniging28 April 2013
Web authorizations, web stock check report. Grid and communication with the warehouse as to where the material is and when it must be sent out. Communication with the stores as to the item they will be receiving the eta and what to do with it. Web images and descriptions. Refunds. Report in excel.

I have learned about promotions and marketing. Working on new programs such as BAAN and Maximizer. I have learnt more about the workings of Websites. A better knowledge of Excel as it is used on a daily basis.

My manager works hard. She is in charge of all the retail staff at Head office as well as all the goings on in our shops around the country.

Co-workers are great. Like a family away from home. Funny, supportive, encouraging and usually crazy.

Hardest part of the job - Large workload. You cannot plan a day as important/urgent work continually comes in throughout the day.

Most enjoyable - very varied. I don't do the same thing all day, every day. Work with a lot of individuals throughout the company. I get to learn a lot about the workings of other departments and so am able to assist between departments.
Pros
Pay half of medical aid and pension, Daily lunches for R45 p/m, Discount on products the company sells.
Cons
Lots of responsability and stress - little remuneration, Usually no remuneration for overtime worked.