Curro Holdings Ltd Employee Reviews

4,0
very pleasant company to work for
Estate Manager (Former Employee) –  Douglasdale, Gauteng23 August 2019
Learned very much working for the school. Enjoyed being around the little children. I did all maintenance and repairs on the buildings and the play grounds. Supervised the outside contractors and ground staff.
3,0
Lack of discipline to leaners and exhausting
EEducator/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Centurion, Gauteng4 August 2019
If you want to work at Thatchfield,you should be prepared to be treated like dirt especially if you're black. The staff is separated during break time.
Pros
Free coffee and tea
Cons
Very long exhausting hours
Excellent
Educator/Teacher (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng1 August 2019
Wonderful company to work for. They support further education and personal development. I appreciate the accommodation for study leave and humility. Love working here.
Pros
Family of staff members
Stressful and Rewarding
English / Art Teacher, Grade Head (Current Employee) –  Gauteng28 May 2019
The school is still new, therefore stress levels are high, we often manage in crisis mode. I have learn't a lot about teaching and myself working here. The hardest part about my job would be balancing my personal and work life. The best part of my job is to be a teacher.
Pros
School Holidays
Cons
Disorganised and poor management
great culture
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Centurion25 May 2019
The school was far from my house but the culture was very good.
Learners were very eager to learn and willing.
The management was very great and always willing to help me with anything I needed help with as I was new in the school.
Enjoyed teaching there.
Pros
great stuff and culture
Cons
far
Contract ended
Educator/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape18 May 2019
Loved working at the school, was there for 9 months, filled two maternity contract posts.Would have loved a permanent post but nothing available at the time.
Pros
School holidays
Cons
Lots of marking to do
1,0
Intimidation and abuse of power.
Ex Teacher (Former Employee) –  Centurion, Gauteng17 March 2019
Intimidation and abuse of power is the order of the day. You do as you are told. It is either I like you or I don't. You have to be my friend to get a promotional post. Salary increments not according to standard and fair procedures. My friends get 10-12%, the rest get 1% to 2%. Automatic style of management. High staff turnover.
Pros
At least you have a job
Cons
Profit after company, Employee welfare a secondary issue, Poor salaries, School management do as they wish, Generally, number of butts on the chairs is all that matters.
1,0
My overall experience at curro
Educator (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng9 January 2019
You are overworked, and expected to do things outside of your teaching parameters. You are most often expected to work a six day work week, which is not reflected in your pay. Many times you are criticised for your work, and not taking on enough. Many times educators are heaped with excessive amounts of mundane and nonsensical work. Your salary is NOT market related and your increases also don’t reflect a positive outlook on a decent monthly income. You are expected to work from 07h30 to 16h00. Provide extra classes and still attend events that end well after 22h00 due to having to take care of children who are left behind after the events end. You aren’t guaranteed any advancement what so ever. If you are afforded an advancement, your already heavy workload doubles. This is not the life you want. Students are rowdy and are given the advantage over the educator in every aspect. Growth is limited and there are no perks, inclusive of medical aid- which is offered but to full account of your own. The company doesn’t pay part of any perks. There is little opportunity to grow through enrichment and as such most opportunities are at own cost.
Pros
Non
Cons
Salary is not market related, working hours are excessive, management does not cooperate, the teacher is always wrong; overworked, no opportunities for advancement
Amazing children
Student teacher (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng26 November 2018
Wonderful opportunity to train under qualified instructors in the ecd environment. Trained from 3 months of to grade r. Planning activities for children
Pros
Study times
Cons
No cons
Just a number
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Centurion, Gauteng21 November 2018
Morale is Low. Treatment is different. Colleagues are wonderful. Hardest part is not being recognized, acknowledged and knowing you just a number. I work with a lovely set of Colleagues.
Pros
The people l I work with.
Cons
Salary is poor. No acknowledgement. No retaining of Good teachers. Poor Higher Management.
2,0
It was a learning oppertunity
School Nurse (Current Employee) –  Centurion, Gauteng30 October 2018
As the only nurse in the environment i feel i was very misunderstood and used.
I really enjoy working with children and Babies so i love the interaction with the children.
The hardest part of my job is that I never know where I will be or "what " I would be that day.
My Job description was changed recently to suit the company, and now i feel like a spare part not the Nurse of the school
Pros
Off half of the school holidays, so get to be near my own children
Cons
Don't get treated like i am part of the team
Overall Good Company to work for
Group 5 Educator (Current Employee) –  Centurion, Gauteng21 August 2018
Work in the position I am currently in can be tedious at times.
I have learned to work with Management. Management could be more involved in communicating with their staff.
Workplace is very "clicky" as they don't allow you to really interact with other phases. The hardest part of the job is the discipline of learners. The most enjoyable is seeing learners grasp new concepts.
Pros
assistance when needed
Cons
Long hours, no overtime
Good in service training
Founder EXECUTIVE HEAD (Former Employee) –  Western Cape11 June 2018
During my time at Curro, I was exposed to many new learning opportunities which fostered my ability to gain new insight, experience and knowledge. The most enjoyable part of my working day was always interacting with my staff and the learners of the school.
Pros
Smaller classes, part of a network
Cons
Recent corporate re-structuring, lack of support of the Executive Heads who worked at operational level.
3,0
Summary of my life at Curro
Educator (Current Employee) –  Centurion, Gauteng29 May 2018
*) Working shifts - 06:30 - 14:00 and again 07:30 - 18:00
*) stressful environment - Working with kids and parents
*) management dint keep promises
*) Increases not according to standard arangements
*) Refunds not according to AA ratings.
Pros
Good working eniroment - good team to work with
Cons
salary is NOT markrelated
Productive Positive and Fun Environment
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Durban26 May 2018
Had a very positive and enriching experience. A vibrant, helpful and engaging staff that are always willing to assist and help you grow into your position.
Pros
Excellent Work Environment
Cons
Low Salary and no benefits
5,0
Fun work place while maintaning total professionalisim
Pre-school teacher (Current Employee) –  City of Johannesburg, Gauteng10 May 2018
A typical day a work would be greeting all my students and parents as they arrive. Then dishing up breakfast, followed by ring time, assessments, Theme related craft of day, outside play, lunch and then a nap for the children, handing over to the after care and or being on duty for after care.

Curro Wilgeheuwel workplace culture is a unique culture and one that is disciplined yet fun.Managing the expectations of the staff, your assistant, the children and their parents is one thing that im constantly learning about.

The hardest part of my job is when parents dont comply and hang about in the mornings, this makes the children anxious which takes it longer for us as teachers or assistants to calm the child down and get back into the normal routine of the day. All my children show me unconditional love and care which is enough to brighten up any dull day.
Pros
50% school fees for our children
5,0
fun, good learning place, good development, good facilities
head, grade 12 (Current Employee) –  Gauteng, Gauteng24 April 2018
Very fun place to work, we are relocating, maybe
Good school
Excellent staff
Good Castle (pre school)
Close to my home
Good management
Good students
Well behaved
4,0
Innovative and exciting way to educate tomorrows leaders
Educator (Current Employee) –  DURBAN,ZA25 March 2018
I attend meetings in the morning then I teach my class from 7:30 to 1:30. We have two breaks in the day where I will be on duty to watch the children. We have extra curricular duties after school, whether it be sport or cultural. We all get involved in all school functions and work together as a team.
fun workplace
coach (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng23 March 2018
great job. awesome staff and great students and work place is well run, i was head of swimming and really improved the swimming team to be better and more fun approach on swimming
Fun workplace
Teaching Practice (Former Employee) –  Centurion, Gauteng13 March 2018
I learnt that grade 1 is the grade I want to teach,

This school always bent over backwards if I needed help in any way, shape or form.

They shaped my teaching career.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
Loooong hours