De Beers Employee Reviews

put safety first
mining foreman (Current Employee) –  Musina, Limpopo1 April 2018
venetia mine is a world class mine witch leaves its values and put safety first,it is about to make a transition from open cast to underground which may last for up to 2046
Pros
safety comes first
Cons
open pit reaching its life span limit and not knowing where your future stands
Conducive working environment with opportunity to learn and grow
Enterprise and Supplier Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng23 March 2018
Great company to work for with highest level of professionalism and potential for growth depending on your filed an opportunities available. It has a wider scope for someone to learn and grow given the company's foot print in Africa and abroad. The company has a very strong and reputable brand which is a resemblance of the culture and values it lives up to.
Pros
lots of benefits, bonuses, meal alllowances, etx
Cons
Highly regulated commodity with more resposibilities due to broader scope
hard workig place
Engineering (Current Employee) –  South Africa28 February 2018
Long working hours with to little proper training in your trade department

You learn a lot about your work environment and Safety

You gain info expertise
Pros
Food COMERDATING
Cons
To many company contracts
Interactive and fun
Exhibitor & Presentation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg South, Gauteng26 January 2018
Outdoor and sharing information to up and young students from high schools of various backgrounds.

Traveling allowed me to explorer some of the deeper parts of South Africa, like old mining towns for reach out programs.

The employer was very involved and had strong leadership skills that rubbed off on us, teaching us to stand to what we believe in and to be accountable. Time management is an important skill for any project leader.

Very refreshing worked with both the youth staff members and seniors the balance broad a much better perspective of what to expect in the future.

At the time I was still an undergraduate student with very little time and demanding graduate program. The balance between school and work eventually became tricky.

Travelling.
Pros
Allowance
Cons
Time constraints
Excellent company
Section Engineer (Current Employee) –  Kroonstad, Free State9 January 2018
It’s an excellent company to work for with a deep seated culture of safety. This spread through to their care for employee health, the environment and community in which they operate. They are also annoyingly obsessed with security.
Work under pressure- Project related
Procurement Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape4 January 2018
Balancing compliance with project demands by ensuring that the projects adhere to the project schedule timelines all the time to avoid the knock on effect on other governance matters. Ensuring cost savings for the company are achieved.
Progressive Workplace
Mining Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lime Acres, Northern Cape29 November 2017
De Beers was a progressive company with respect for good planning and engineering solutions. The many levels of planning and sign-offs although critical proved to be too much red tape.
Pros
Good brand
Cons
Poor Career Advancement Structures
Communications
COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER (Former Employee) –  De Beers Northern Cape25 November 2017
Job satisfaction and that you need to take matters in your own hands to achieve your goal. To work closely with management and be part of the team.Everyone is positive. keep the customer happy. The working environment
Pros
free accommodation
Cons
no career advancencement
Great work place.
Metallurgist in Training. (Current Employee) –  Kroonstad, Free State17 October 2017
Great environment to work in. Opportunities for learning are significant. Always something new to experience and fun loving people culture on the mines.
Productive and fun work place
Quantity Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Kimberly12 September 2017
This is more of productive place,there is great team
work and the salary at the time was satisfactory
Management is also behind the staff and is of one of the best company.
Working hard everyday, Safety is our number one priority.
Boilermaker/Welder (Current Employee) –  Kroonstad, Free State10 September 2017
Work smart and be sure you work safely on everything you do .
We ensure that even though the work load but zero harm is achievable, De Beers has five years of Fatality free. It is a good experience by been part of Anglo American at De Beers Voorspoed.
Transfomation from varsity to working culture
Junior Tech (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape3 July 2017
This is where i transformed from a student to a working life being able to manage people and decide on the plan of action. I worked myself from trainee to a S.Tech responsible for all aspects of maintenance and plant upkeep.
Extremely Productive
Senior Mining Operator currently acting supervisor (Current Employee) –  Free State5 June 2017
Everyday is a learning day at work as the mining industry changes and the pit changes all the time. one has to be fully aware of your surroundings at all time because hazards are everywhere and injury can occur at any given time if your mind is not on the task at hand.
At De Beers we practice ZERO HARM which we have proven that it is achievable with our no fatality and list time injury free production.
Pros
The exposure to learn everyday
Quality Controller (Current Employee) –  Musina, Limpopo10 May 2017
Love the work that I'm doing daily n willing to learn everyting and I can work under pressure at anytime can move everywhere in the world if it need to
Pros
I can have my luch
Cons
I can work long
World Class Company
Supply Chain Officer (Purchasing) (Former Employee) –  Kimberley, Northern Cape18 April 2017
Safety come first. To ensure that you and your colleagues work safe. I obtain 15 years experience in Supply Chain environment at De Beers. The company always assist you to improving yourself and uplift you, to be able to achieve your goals. Excellent management. There was no hardest part of your job, management assist where you fall short. The most enjoyable part of my job was work satisfaction and appreciation for management and ens-users for the hard work and effort that you put into your daily job.
Pros
Bonuses paid
Productive and fun experience
Metallurgist in training (Current Employee) –  Musina, Limpopo15 April 2017
everyday job is to monitor the plant and do quality assurance. In cases where there is a plant delay or machine breakdown I then do ivestigations (root cause anaylisis) and come up with solurions ( small group discussions with collegues).

One of the most impotant thing that I have learned is safety and efficiency. do not compromise safety at the cost of ones life.

It is very important to listen to fellow colleagues and guide each other when one is blind. The culture is that everyone is a leader, therefor take accoutability for everything you do.

The hardest part of the job is when conviencing supporting departments on work I want to be done but they already having a negative mindset about it. The most enjoyable part of the Job is when all department work as a team towards a common goal , being it a project or achieving production targets at most efficient way.
Pros
Good/excellent job is recognised and appriciated
Cons
12 hours shift work
Fantastic comaraderie
Automation and Instrumentation Senior Technician (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape4 April 2017
Offshore work is always, by definition, hard work. It requires long hours with little sleep, an ability to problem-solve with very little support, and the foresight to make sure that you always have what you need, when you need it, right at the workplace while still maintaining a strict budget in very little storage space.

I have been fortunate throughout my career to have worked only with wonderful people, hard-working and fun-loving.
Pros
Good food, good company
Cons
Long hours far from family
World Class Company.
Superintendent Services. (Former Employee) –  Venetia Mine (Limpopo).2 April 2017
Many Challenges and always different ones.
Being part of a 5 Star Team.
Celebrating our success.
To be able to work in a safe environment.
To know that I am missed.
Pros
Excellent Package.
Cons
That I could not remain working longer and had to go off at 60.
Good company to work for
Senior supply chain ckerk (Former Employee) –  Lime Acres, Northern Cape19 March 2017
Good hours.Good people.culture not a problem.if you come across a problem you just ask and they help you.ri really love to work for Debeers. Benefit good
workplace
General worker (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape2 March 2017
i did really enjoy working there because they payed much money i even afford somethings that i did at first i worked long hours there 7 to 7 Monday to Sunday and the problem was that the was not an single off that you get when working there.
Pros
buy lunch for your self