Department of Environmental Affairs Employee Reviews

5,0
its a verry good place with friendly people
Environmental Case Officer (Intern) (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng11 February 2019
the department of environmental affairs have a lot of of friendly employees. they help each other settle in well. they are commited to what they do and also try by al means to meet deadlines.
2,0
Vibrant and Fun
IT Support (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape14 January 2019
Fun environment, if only the contract was longer. Everyone was very helpful and unsupportive. My wish was that we were payed more and we were taken permanently
Pros
Lots of assistance
Cons
Supporting 13 floor building
Auxiliary Clerk (Former Employee) –  Gauteng12 July 2018
• Collect mail from the post office
• Deliver mail to clients and deliver passports and visas for international relations
• Transporting officials to meetings outside office and airport
• Opening and closing of files for new and resigned personnel
• Organise meetings, team building and any other events to take place
Great atmosphere and culture
Deputy Director (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng26 February 2018
My days are normally hectic with targets I need to meet and meetings I have to attend. The work involves analysis of data, review of reports (local and international) to make an input into policy. Review of research publications and latest developments in the field of managing toxic chemicals. The large part of my work involves stakeholder engagements and discussions in the area of chemicals management as well as policy. In addition, I manage consultants as they execute projects for the department. I also write lots of reports as well as analyzing them.
Pros
continuous learning and development
Cons
too many meetings to attend to
4,0
its a condusive place to work at
Environmental Officer: Specialised Production (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng12 February 2018
i like working here however growth is needed.The Department of environmental affairs is a great place to work at and i have grown much over the years.
3,0
Fun, exciting and allowed a room for gaining experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng15 January 2018
Day to day work was physical but calm. This opportunity allowed me to further concolidated my Basic planning and coordination techniques, Stakeholder engagement and interaction, allowed me a chance to network with other people in order to share information about available opportunities, increased auditing experience and report writting. Management was excellent and encouraged a friendly working environment with focus on production and career development. Encouraged cultural diversity and promoted that each individual must respect the cultural values of the other. the hardest part of the job was the walks on big industries when conducting complaince inspections. Internet and the opportunity given to me to apply for permanent employments elsewhere as it was not a garanteed permanent employment after the contract.
Pros
Fast speed internet
Team builidng, training courses,
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng2 January 2018
Planning for inspection and investigations against industrial companies for non-compliance with environmental legislation.

I have learned that environment and nature should be respected and pollution is dangerous to the health of human being and to the environment.

The management was good and we were given a free platform to express ourselves, especially in time of presentation of inspection findings. Each and every member of the investigating sub-directorate was independent of his/her own task of work.

The workplace culture is smooth and relaxed where there is no addressing of rank structure. The main important part is to respect one another and also work ethics to be respected.

The hardest part of the work is when one is confronted with illegal storage or dumping of medical waste which is a high risk of one's health and one have to equip himself;lf with protective clothing.

The most enjoyable part is the privilege of subsidised vehicle issued to investigators as part of the incentives. The department also look after its employees in relation to outing to relief work related stress.
Pros
Incentives of overtime payments
Very good working environment
Control GIS Technician Intern (Current Employee) –  Tzaneen, Limpopo3 July 2017
DEA is a learning lab whereby a person gets to learn about policy development and implementations. a person gets to know policies and regulations. the challenging part is when one has to deal with non complying people in the country but they know how to deal with such people in a proper way, the most enjoyable part is that at the end DEA achieves all the goals planned at the end of the day.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
Too much capturing
5,0
Productive and a learning lab like
Intern (Former Employee) –  Pretoria Head office27 June 2017
Productive and fun
Environmental Consultant (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng2 June 2017
A typical day at work includes working on submitted EIA's and dealing with compliance of stakeholders to governance set out in these protected areas. I'm currently learning so much from DEA, especially when it comes to EIA's. Management is great however as a young citizen I do feel a little more hustle and effort can go a long way. Hardest part of the job would be the continuous travelling. the most enjoyable part of the job would be the great hours and a salary that allows you to live as a decent citizen.
Exciting and productive
Admin Officer (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng11 May 2017
Working environment is good for everyone. Managers empowers their subordinates and help the perform well on their daily duties. Employees are flexible and reliable.
Pros
Free tea
Cons
flexible and long hours
Project Management, Business Growth
General Manager- Projects and Government Relations (Former Employee) –  Midrand, Gauteng25 April 2017
The job entailed Integrated Forest Veld Fire Management, Management of Forestry, Veld, Urban, Peri-Urban and Rural Project Teams. The scope covered all 9 Provinces within the environmental management with focus on aspects such as land management, waste management, alien invasive plant control, road maintenance, fire breaks, high altitude teams, business management, business proposals, presentations, travelling and extensive problem-solving skills
Productive work place
Intern (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng19 January 2017
Productive work place which is well managed. The department looks at the environmental issues and address in order to protect the environment.
5,0
productive,well balanced culture and room for growth
senior provisioning admintration officer (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng16 January 2017
I have learnt a lot of things ,gained a lot of skills and the environment if feasible. The department has part-time bursary opportunities' for employees that would like to further their studies .this boost the staff morale and also after completing your studies you receive a recognition either by a bonus or a trophy.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long extended works, volutary overtime
Great experience work out
Environmental Technician (Current Employee) –  Acornhoek, Mpumalanga10 January 2017
everyday you have to come up with ways of selling yourself to different companies & how you associates yourself with those who already on the field of environment. because i came as a learner and an employee. How to conduct an EIA,EPA, CHECKLIST generally
you have to be committed in doing your work on time, submit monthly reports on time, being punctual when it comes to time and hard work hard work
management is good
great co-workers the best co-workers, our bond didn't even take a month
travelling was the hardest part from the office to the site of work at some instant you had to travel by foot about 5 km going to the site and another travelling back to the office or yet even more.
going to class sessions as we would meet other co-workers are also in our program it was enjoyable. and making researches about our assignments in terms of work its a great experience as you learn a lot also online.
4,0
I was very productive and enjoyed my job at the same time
Administration Officer: intern (Former Employee) –  Mpumalanga1 January 2017
the management of Department of environmental affairs were very competent and professionals. I have learned on how to be competent at any organisation.
Productive and fun workplace
Environmental Officer:Intern (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng19 December 2016
A great work environment, with great learning opportunities and room for professional growth. I have been here for less than three months but i have already learned to communicate better and present as well.
Pros
Free Lunches
Skills as leader
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Umsunduzi municipality17 November 2016
I have improved my leading skill as I was working with people.my job was to make sure that the people have arrive on the field on time as it was a community project.and doing the paperwork as well
Pros
Free lunches
profuctive
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Steelpoort, Limpopo27 October 2016
Working at department of environmental affairs was very educational.we were building a dam called De hoop dam in limpopo province and it is one of the biggest dams in south africa.
Pros
transport allowence
4,0
Work well under pressure, meet deadlines and targets and have a positive attitude
Project Administrator/Data Capturer (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape24 October 2016
work hard and stay focus and target driven
cope well under pressure and short notice for various task
management target and deadline driven
co-worker work well as team, and work independently where necessary
staying focus, even when under pressure
meeting your target and deadlines