Department of Environmental Affairs Employee Reviews

Good team to work with.
Graduate Intern(environmental officer) (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape5 December 2019
Diverse company with great culture in the office.
Empowering management system.
Career shaping available platform in the department.
Great relationship with work colleagues.
Graphic Design Intern (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng5 November 2019
This is a really great place to work but there are no opportunities for growth. There are only entry level positions and no advancement. You are forced to leave once your contract has ended and there is no promise for renewal.
fun work
good communication skills (Former Employee) –  tshwane Mamelodi24 August 2019
Truck driver code 14 pdp good communication
on skills Eng Afr I'm not drinking I'm 47 year old three kids married last job putco bus service retrenchment
productive
participating in legislation drafting and implementation, issuing permits and authorizations, responding to ministerial queries, reviewing EIA applications and providing recommendations,planning and attending meetings, organizing and hosting public awareness events
People Centric workplace
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape12 July 2019
The Dept of Envionmental Affairs is a people centric dept. It focuses on developing the individual holistically and that's what makes it worthwhile to make this dept your home.
5,0
A productive and exciting place to work
Electronic and Communications Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape12 June 2019
On a typical day at work, the staff base has been assigned into different departments.
I learned how to work as a team and also developed my management skills.
The management is professional.
The workplace culture is good because of the staff consist of a blend of different cultures.
The hardest part of the job is having to meet up with deadlines.
The most enjoyable part of the job is having to work with motivated people.
Pros
Room for growth
Cons
Less diversity of skills and knowledge
The Workplace
Administration Clerk (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape6 June 2019
A typical day at work is very relaxed. there are only one or two stressful days here and there. I learned how to be professional in the work place and I learned about various policies and procedures within government.
Benefits
Cons
No growth
Productive working environment
Communications Intern (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape19 March 2019
I have gained a lot of knowledge. Not only about Communications, but about other scientific branches that exist within the department. Ma managers give me a platform to form practical work and provide assistance when needed.
Pros
Includes a lot of travelling
Cons
The department deals with a lot of science jargon
5,0
its a verry good place with friendly people
Environmental Case Officer (Intern) (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng11 February 2019
the department of environmental affairs have a lot of of friendly employees. they help each other settle in well. they are commited to what they do and also try by al means to meet deadlines.
2,0
Vibrant and Fun
IT Support (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape14 January 2019
Fun environment, if only the contract was longer. Everyone was very helpful and unsupportive. My wish was that we were payed more and we were taken permanently
Pros
Lots of assistance
Cons
Supporting 13 floor building
Auxiliary Clerk (Former Employee) –  Gauteng12 July 2018
• Collect mail from the post office
• Deliver mail to clients and deliver passports and visas for international relations
• Transporting officials to meetings outside office and airport
• Opening and closing of files for new and resigned personnel
• Organise meetings, team building and any other events to take place
Great atmosphere and culture
Deputy Director (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng26 February 2018
My days are normally hectic with targets I need to meet and meetings I have to attend. The work involves analysis of data, review of reports (local and international) to make an input into policy. Review of research publications and latest developments in the field of managing toxic chemicals. The large part of my work involves stakeholder engagements and discussions in the area of chemicals management as well as policy. In addition, I manage consultants as they execute projects for the department. I also write lots of reports as well as analyzing them.
Pros
continuous learning and development
Cons
too many meetings to attend to
4,0
its a condusive place to work at
Environmental Officer: Specialised Production (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng12 February 2018
i like working here however growth is needed.The Department of environmental affairs is a great place to work at and i have grown much over the years.
3,0
Fun, exciting and allowed a room for gaining experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng15 January 2018
Day to day work was physical but calm. This opportunity allowed me to further concolidated my Basic planning and coordination techniques, Stakeholder engagement and interaction, allowed me a chance to network with other people in order to share information about available opportunities, increased auditing experience and report writting. Management was excellent and encouraged a friendly working environment with focus on production and career development. Encouraged cultural diversity and promoted that each individual must respect the cultural values of the other. the hardest part of the job was the walks on big industries when conducting complaince inspections. Internet and the opportunity given to me to apply for permanent employments elsewhere as it was not a garanteed permanent employment after the contract.
Pros
Fast speed internet
Team builidng, training courses,
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng2 January 2018
Planning for inspection and investigations against industrial companies for non-compliance with environmental legislation.

I have learned that environment and nature should be respected and pollution is dangerous to the health of human being and to the environment.

The management was good and we were given a free platform to express ourselves, especially in time of presentation of inspection findings. Each and every member of the investigating sub-directorate was independent of his/her own task of work.

The workplace culture is smooth and relaxed where there is no addressing of rank structure. The main important part is to respect one another and also work ethics to be respected.

The hardest part of the work is when one is confronted with illegal storage or dumping of medical waste which is a high risk of one's health and one have to equip himself;lf with protective clothing.

The most enjoyable part is the privilege of subsidised vehicle issued to investigators as part of the incentives. The department also look after its employees in relation to outing to relief work related stress.
Pros
Incentives of overtime payments
1,0
enjoyable and comfortable workplace
Intern (Language Practitioner) (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng20 November 2017
It is a good opportunity for me because i have learnt some of the things that i did not know about it, including how does the government operates and to network with different people irrespective of their profession.
Pros
30 minutes
Cons
8 hours
Very good working environment
Control GIS Technician Intern (Current Employee) –  Tzaneen, Limpopo3 July 2017
DEA is a learning lab whereby a person gets to learn about policy development and implementations. a person gets to know policies and regulations. the challenging part is when one has to deal with non complying people in the country but they know how to deal with such people in a proper way, the most enjoyable part is that at the end DEA achieves all the goals planned at the end of the day.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
Too much capturing
5,0
Productive and a learning lab like
Intern (Former Employee) –  Pretoria Head office27 June 2017
Productive and fun
Environmental Consultant (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng2 June 2017
A typical day at work includes working on submitted EIA's and dealing with compliance of stakeholders to governance set out in these protected areas. I'm currently learning so much from DEA, especially when it comes to EIA's. Management is great however as a young citizen I do feel a little more hustle and effort can go a long way. Hardest part of the job would be the continuous travelling. the most enjoyable part of the job would be the great hours and a salary that allows you to live as a decent citizen.
Exciting and productive
Admin Officer (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng11 May 2017
Working environment is good for everyone. Managers empowers their subordinates and help the perform well on their daily duties. Employees are flexible and reliable.
Pros
Free tea
Cons
flexible and long hours