Edgars Employee Reviews in Pretoria, Gauteng

2,0
Productive but hostile
Retail Associate and Administrator (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng14 November 2018
Usually very busy around lunch time and in the evenings when shops about to close.Management are slave drivers with little to no consideration of the employee.The hardest part would be working very long hours without weekends off and very little payment and having to deal with difficult customers and management on a daily basis with no room to grow or advance to atleast permanent position.The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing a satisfied and happy customer after giving them a great service.
Pros
commission
Cons
Long hours little pay
Fun work place
Makeup Artist (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng22 May 2018
Doing makeup is something that I love so I enjoy working at Edgar’s the manager is kind to staff but the money isn’t so good but it is something I love doing
Pros
It’s close to home
Cons
Juggling school and work
2,0
strictly business
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng27 October 2017
Had a good working relation with my colleges built lasting relationships learnt alot in terms of finance. Morning is banking on the system filing admin for the day before afternoon is banking cash as the day continues and bulking banking. Enjoyed my days at edcon
Pros
making lasting relations
Cons
no family time
Fun work place
service center operator (Former Employee) –  Gauteng pretoria10 October 2017
Was very nice working at Edgar's we work as a team i liked everything excluding my salary I'm a. Bread winner I'm looking for marketable salary....
Pros
I always got free launches coz of my hard work
Cons
I didn't mind working overtime
productive
Cashier (Former Employee) –  wonderboom, Pretoria8 April 2017
It was a great opportunity for me to work as a cashier at Edgars, I gained a lot of experience and the management was good, customer service was great
Pros
own lunch
Cons
long working hours
4,0
Very relaxed working environment .
Personnel Officer (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng6 January 2017
* A typical day involved an extensive amount of staff and customer interaction.
* I learned to balance staff relations and customer relations.
* Management was extremely staff driven and developing and training staff was high priority. However, there was a lot of spoon feeding and working on own initiative was highly unlikely.
* My co-workers were extremely supportive and friendly. Very supportive towards HR.
* The hardest part of the job was not being able to use my own initiative. Every action had to be pre-approved.
* The most enjoyable part of the job was all the in-store action with regard to promotions and sales.
Pros
Good Career prospects and secure working environment.
Cons
The retail industry demands long working hours, however, staff benefits are excellent.
Productive trainings weekly
cellphone specialist (Current Employee) –  Pretoria,Kolonnade30 November 2016
Good place to work,but not happy about the salary considering all the responsibility that come with my position. Otherwise i m enjoying my job
Pros
Share payouts twice a year
Tried to make it fun
Switchboard & Customer Services (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng8 August 2016
Had to walk around on the floor, greet the customers and assist them with queries and direct them to desired locations in the store.

On the switchboard: Answering of incoming calls, transfer call to desired extensions. Approving of all outgoing staff call.

At Customer Service Centre: Assisting client with allocating required item sizes,colours and makes, Contacting Fashion Hotline to speed up delivery time for clients goods bought.
Pros
Discount on Goods purchased
Cons
Long hours, and worked weekend, and public holidays
4,0
Fast paced due to numerous deadlines, Job Insecurity.
Senior Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Gauteng, Pretoria11 June 2016
Job work / Life balance a problem, i.e. 2 Days off in a month. Salary and benefits quite low, particularly at lower levels.

Too much workload caused by among others too much paper administration.

Job security, management and culture need some serious improvement.
Pros
Performance based incentive
Cons
Too much paperwork
productive and fun
Credit Clerk/Stock taking (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng5 January 2016
A typical day at work its when it gets too busy and dealing with customers is the hardest thing ever but i manage to deal with them in a productive way.The hardest part of the job is dealing with difficult customers.My co-workers are very hard working people i enjoy working with them.
Pros
tea time
very fun working place
Sales Assistant (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng4 January 2016
very productive because edgars staff understands the importance of Team work and team buiding. working at edgars i learned the importance of tolerance, patience,because people are different with different moods and personality. My co-workes are very friendly and very helpfull
3,0
Salary and benefits are good
Operations manager (Former Employee) –  Pretoria and Limpopo9 August 2015
The rumors around the retailers future has an overall negative effect on the staff moral.

I enjoyed the on the job learning.
The implementation of the Tipping Point project in general was a great learning in the importance of product lay out and merchandising in a retail environment.
Monthly conferences were helpful in understanding chain strategies and your role.
I was part of the optimization project and this enabled me to introduce optimized strategies in the cosmetic and jewelry departments for my division.
My Jewelry back office strategy was later introduced to the entire chain and is currently used in all stores.
5,0
Edgars is the best employer of choice
store manager (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, GP11 January 2014
A day in Edgars is fun as you have to positively motivate your staff and creating healthy completion among staff members to maximize the store and the company profit

Learn new thing everyday as we are in a change period to optimize our processes and have introduced the new look and feel to enhance our customers

Managing 58 staff members with six direct reports.

The hardest part of the job is by achieving more with less. One needs to think more creatively and utilizing current staff more effectively to achieve set goals.

Most enjoyable part of the job is when the store has achieved its yearly budgeted turnover. Staff have been rewarded for the achievment
Pros
Compony has a good insentive scheam that motivates staff
Cons
Peak trade we are working more hours and weekends
productive
Credit assosiate (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, GP20 June 2013
A day at Edgars is like in any other retail store, lots of customers who want nothing but to leave the store happy. I learned that for one to be productive you must do your job whole heartedly. The management was very suppotive. the co-workers worked as a team even if sometimes there are differences. the herdest part of my job was having to tell a customer that what he/she wants cannot be done. the most enjoyable part of the job is being able to communicate effectively with your customers and see the leaave the store with a broad smile on their face.
Pros
meeting a lot of influencial people
Cons
long hour and working sundays
fun workplace
sales associate (Former Employee) –  pretoria21 February 2013
an enjoyable work environment
how to deal with difficult customers
was friendly
were friendly
having to deal with difficult customers
having to interact with customers and meeting new people
Pros
sometimes