Eskom Holdings Limited Employee Reviews

Productive place
Trainee Technician (Former Employee) –  Bloemfontein, Free State3 April 2019
Best place to work at, everyone is friendly and always willing to help if you need. I have learned a lot and the employees are very smart and innovative.
Productive and fun workplace
Student Technician (Former Employee) –  North West1 April 2019
Each and everyday we have a safety session,where we share safe and unsafe acts on a work environment,site and general. Most on Mondays we do planning of the week and closing of work orders, if there is a call out we attend to it ASAP.

I have learned to work as a team and how to make a decision following the standards.Technical skills that I have been taught as a student technician were easy to implement because before I work in an department i attend certain courses then go to site. Working at site and being able to find faults and given opportunities to share my ideas when we struggling with the work is part of the job i have enjoyed the most.
4,0
Very dynamic and output driven.
Senior Commercial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng30 March 2019
It was a good company and I learned a lot from that company. The details are on my CV. I used to manage huge procurement transaction worth Billions of Rands, which were Strategic to the Eskom business.
Pros
Rewarded for good performance.
Cons
Long hours.
4,0
Good company to work for
Security Manager (Former Employee) –  North West28 March 2019
Although working under pressure due to extensive travelling, managing a large team however the work fulfilling and one got to learn a lot of things like dealing with management at all levels.

Managing the whole of North West Eskom Security was challenging but it gave a great feeling of responsibility as at times I had to report directly to the CEO in terms of critical matters.

I enjoyed interacting with my team of 32 made up of security officers, investigators and admin staff.
Pros
Team building
Cons
Extensive travelling
5,0
Good
Personal Assistant to CEO (Former Employee) –  Magaliesburg ZA27 March 2019
Relaxed environment, good people.
SLow Pased. Fair, Honest.
Friendly, helpful. Job gets done without too much stress and pressure. Always on time. Enjoyed working there
Electrical Distribution Unit
Learner Technician (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape19 March 2019
I got a lot of exposure to high voltage systems 66kV to 400kV medium voltage and low voltage
I have been able to know and work with protection schemes, designing, Metering calibration, maintenance, network operations and SCADA systems
Fun workplace
Auditing/Data capturer (Former Employee) –  Gauteng17 March 2019
Just be yourself

Willing to learn and be an team player

Hardest part of the job is always do the best of your ability ...Be yourself

Enjoy your job and make the most of it
4,0
Professional and yet accommodating working environment
Temp Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Queenstown, Eastern Cape8 March 2019
Though we get to learn everyday but it does tend to feel like one is stagnant at some point, guess that's life. Learned a lot about respect for people from all walks of life. Workplace culture is well.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
narrow-mindedness
3,0
Great working environment if you are an academic like myself.
Middle Manager Assurance and Forensics (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng2 March 2019
There's always new things to learn in Eskom all the time being one of the biggest utilities in South Africa.It has endless learning prospects in both Engineering and Information technology including Operational Technology exposure.Apart from that ,it is a National key point which then means compliance with certain laws and regulations is key , therefore Compliance ,Governance with applicable laws and Regulations, Risk Management is key.
Pros
Exposure is wide
Cons
Executive Management delegates a lot making their roles complacent.
Very fun environment,educational,motivating,growth
Senior caterer (Former Employee) –  Volksrust, Mpumalanga25 February 2019
The greatest thing and what I love about my job was the team I was working with,my manager was the best,from the moment I walked in the production area I knew I was at the right place.I loved my job,specially when its time to improvise,come up with new ideas as to how to bring about change to our menu,I enjoyed cooking special catering.the most challenging part were the days when some of the delivery weren't there on time now you have to change the menu,racing against time trying to meet the deadline.
Pros
Almost everything was free at my department for us worked there
Productive team
Junior Electrical Techni (Former Employee) –  Germiston, Gauteng18 February 2019
My typical day at work would be to have a morning safety meeting then discuss all that is needed for the day. I have learnt a lot about electrical engineering from reading drawings to finding the fault and apply corrective actions. The management was very good including the workplace culture it was so diverse cause we had people from different countries coming together towards one goal. The hardest part of my job would be to work in very hot conditions where you find that wild animals tend to hide in panels we working on which can be very dangerous. The most enjoyable part of job is when I have projects and I get to challenge new problems and implement new ways of solving them.
Pros
Team building...Outdoor Activities
Cons
No overtime paid
3,0
Admin job is challenging but fun and dealing with documents makes me learn everyday
Document Controller (Former Employee) –  Mpumalanga , Volskrust12 February 2019
• Supervising the documentation centre
• Decision making
• Quality Management
• Liaising with contractors and external stakeholders
• Compilation of Report and presentations
• Registration of all documents and records.
• Controlling distribution of documents.
• Notification of Published documents and records.
• Educating and training employees on how to use the EDMS.
• Revision control of all project drawings
• Overseeing the filing system at site.
• Archiving and disposal of inactive documents and records.
• Receive and collate comments returned on draft documents as per prescribed procedures.
• Control the creation of documents as per Eskom procedures
• Capture, co-ordinate, file and archive all incoming and outgoing transmittal
Pros
Pay weekend because we work 9.5 hours during the week
Cons
working in the middle of nowhere.. but its was peaceful
3,0
A place with the opportunity to broaden one's technical skills
C and I Engineer (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape1 February 2019
A typical day at work consists of compiling designs, working on technical documents and some administrative tasks.

The workplace culture is safety orientated, which inherently requires one to be technically diligent and accurate.

There are terrific managers and then some who can improve their leadership.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being part of a successful and well-executed implementation. In particular the stringent methods that are employed to ensure that error during design work is minimal and safely done.

Although required and essential to the job, the paperwork can be tiresome.
Pros
Emphasis on continuous development
Cons
Too much working in isolation from other role players
5,0
Environmental Advisor (SHEQS) NB (Current Employee) –  Klerksdorp, North West1 February 2019
Eskom is a company that one can work for if you want to explore all other spheres required to run an effective business. As an environmental list, Eskom has a section called environmental management, with which an environmentalist can explore and gain experience in all environmental related sectors, starting from the ISO 14001 Environmental Management System to review of EIAs, development of management programms, waste management, pollution prevention, Strategic Environmental Assessment, Project management, Air Quality monitoring, incidents management, negotiating with land owners, liaising with competent authorities for licences permits and more
Assistant officer (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal15 January 2019
I would say my job is enjoyable with its challenges, especially when I have to balance the comparisons between different financial reports.
I have learned and gained much experience in this company, handling of projects funds, the need and importance of forecasting and budgeting, handling of financial information is not an east task with my current position it becomes a challenge when a customer does not understand the content of the bill and I have to explain it in a way that someone who is not in my department is satisfied.

We work with stakeholders, we need data to process bills so it becomes very hard for us when we do not receive data on time to process the bills or adjustments, its create the very bad image from the department side and the company as a whole because customers find it hard to understand the importance of data.

my job is also a fun environment, at some point when we make it a game with my colleagues that who is going to meet a deadline of the reports, all of us rushing to submit on time financial data that contains no errors ie accuracy and validation of data.
Cons
sometimes I have to work more that the required hours when I have much work to do.
Electrical Apprentice (Current Employee) –  South Africa14 January 2019
I know eskom as future company but since haven't been on it,i dont know what is like and environmental and safety wise but lot of people i know and they growing.
Pros
Free lunchs
Daily tasks, workplace culture & management, enjoyable & challenges
HRD Advisor (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng14 January 2019
Regular workshops/ interaction of employees of same job level/ compact from different work locations/ environments to share experiences, challenges, achievements, opinions and tactics to improve overall work output.

There is capable skilled employees in the system performing standardized and routine work. However too long job security on same task requirements may negatively affect quality output with familiarity and loosing passion.

Horizontal/relocation may be motivating in the form of exploring wide knowledge in a particular area of expertise where an employee develops passion; e.g. opportunity to engage in quality audits, research, and change projects. This may be ideal enjoyable for learning personality requiring unfamiliar exposures and interactions.

Vertical advancement may the hardest as at it is reflected as individual promotion and not valued contribution towards new control, professional responsibility, self-discipline, decision making; problem-solving, planning and organizing; and time management attributes.

As activity-seeking personality, my job satisfaction is in knowledge application, advising and problem solving. Career advancement and dream achievement is enjoyable in the form of, as certifications, acknowledgements/ recognition.

Building my career profile is the driving motive to excel in my job output. I am also positively driven by competitive environment
versus comfortable situations.
Pros
work management
Cons
career development opportunity
Good place to learn
Electrical Draughtsman (Former Employee) –  1 maxwell drive, sunning hill, Megawatt park14 January 2019
Problem is politics. besides that there is a lot of information to grasp and learn deep electrical fundamentals. the people are friendly and some a willing to help.
Pros
affordable lunch food
Cons
less work ethic
4,0
Comfortable and clean environment with a good family of coworkers
technician (Current Employee) –  Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal11 January 2019
A day at Eskom is enjoyable. There is always a happy vibe in the air. There is a lot of teamwork and the coworkers are like one big family. The job may become repetitive and and less challenging as your experience gets stronger. This is a good company to work in if you are doing extra studies as you do get free time now and again when faults are low.
Pros
Job security, good salary
Cons
No career growth path, repetitive.
3,0
Productive and fun place to work
service agent (Former Employee) –  Bloemfontein, Free State27 November 2018
Since ive been employed as a fixed term contract worker things actually changed for the better in 2016. We use to work under the labour brokers who actually didn't want to fight for us to become permanent so they terminated our contracts in 2015. August 2016 Eskom took us in as fixed term contract workers we actually earned a lot more under Eskom as trough the labour brokers but our contracts also ended at November 2017.