Eskom Holdings Limited Employee Reviews

3,0
Admin job is challenging but fun and dealing with documents makes me learn everyday
Document Controller (Former Employee) –  Mpumalanga , Volskrust12 February 2019
• Supervising the documentation centre
• Decision making
• Quality Management
• Liaising with contractors and external stakeholders
• Compilation of Report and presentations
• Registration of all documents and records.
• Controlling distribution of documents.
• Notification of Published documents and records.
• Educating and training employees on how to use the EDMS.
• Revision control of all project drawings
• Overseeing the filing system at site.
• Archiving and disposal of inactive documents and records.
• Receive and collate comments returned on draft documents as per prescribed procedures.
• Control the creation of documents as per Eskom procedures
• Capture, co-ordinate, file and archive all incoming and outgoing transmittal
Pros
Pay weekend because we work 9.5 hours during the week
Cons
working in the middle of nowhere.. but its was peaceful
3,0
A place with the opportunity to broaden one's technical skills
C and I Engineer (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape1 February 2019
A typical day at work consists of compiling designs, working on technical documents and some administrative tasks.

The workplace culture is safety orientated, which inherently requires one to be technically diligent and accurate.

There are terrific managers and then some who can improve their leadership.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being part of a successful and well-executed implementation. In particular the stringent methods that are employed to ensure that error during design work is minimal and safely done.

Although required and essential to the job, the paperwork can be tiresome.
Pros
Emphasis on continuous development
Cons
Too much working in isolation from other role players
5,0
Environmental Advisor (SHEQS) NB (Current Employee) –  Klerksdorp, North West1 February 2019
Eskom is a company that one can work for if you want to explore all other spheres required to run an effective business. As an environmental list, Eskom has a section called environmental management, with which an environmentalist can explore and gain experience in all environmental related sectors, starting from the ISO 14001 Environmental Management System to review of EIAs, development of management programms, waste management, pollution prevention, Strategic Environmental Assessment, Project management, Air Quality monitoring, incidents management, negotiating with land owners, liaising with competent authorities for licences permits and more
Assistant officer (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal15 January 2019
I would say my job is enjoyable with its challenges, especially when I have to balance the comparisons between different financial reports.
I have learned and gained much experience in this company, handling of projects funds, the need and importance of forecasting and budgeting, handling of financial information is not an east task with my current position it becomes a challenge when a customer does not understand the content of the bill and I have to explain it in a way that someone who is not in my department is satisfied.

We work with stakeholders, we need data to process bills so it becomes very hard for us when we do not receive data on time to process the bills or adjustments, its create the very bad image from the department side and the company as a whole because customers find it hard to understand the importance of data.

my job is also a fun environment, at some point when we make it a game with my colleagues that who is going to meet a deadline of the reports, all of us rushing to submit on time financial data that contains no errors ie accuracy and validation of data.
Cons
sometimes I have to work more that the required hours when I have much work to do.
Electrical Apprentice (Current Employee) –  South Africa14 January 2019
I know eskom as future company but since haven't been on it,i dont know what is like and environmental and safety wise but lot of people i know and they growing.
Pros
Free lunchs
Daily tasks, workplace culture & management, enjoyable & challenges
HRD Advisor (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng14 January 2019
Regular workshops/ interaction of employees of same job level/ compact from different work locations/ environments to share experiences, challenges, achievements, opinions and tactics to improve overall work output.

There is capable skilled employees in the system performing standardized and routine work. However too long job security on same task requirements may negatively affect quality output with familiarity and loosing passion.

Horizontal/relocation may be motivating in the form of exploring wide knowledge in a particular area of expertise where an employee develops passion; e.g. opportunity to engage in quality audits, research, and change projects. This may be ideal enjoyable for learning personality requiring unfamiliar exposures and interactions.

Vertical advancement may the hardest as at it is reflected as individual promotion and not valued contribution towards new control, professional responsibility, self-discipline, decision making; problem-solving, planning and organizing; and time management attributes.

As activity-seeking personality, my job satisfaction is in knowledge application, advising and problem solving. Career advancement and dream achievement is enjoyable in the form of, as certifications, acknowledgements/ recognition.

Building my career profile is the driving motive to excel in my job output. I am also positively driven by competitive environment
versus comfortable situations.
Pros
work management
Cons
career development opportunity
Good place to learn
Electrical Draughtsman (Former Employee) –  1 maxwell drive, sunning hill, Megawatt park14 January 2019
Problem is politics. besides that there is a lot of information to grasp and learn deep electrical fundamentals. the people are friendly and some a willing to help.
Pros
affordable lunch food
Cons
less work ethic
4,0
Comfortable and clean environment with a good family of coworkers
technician (Current Employee) –  Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal11 January 2019
A day at Eskom is enjoyable. There is always a happy vibe in the air. There is a lot of teamwork and the coworkers are like one big family. The job may become repetitive and and less challenging as your experience gets stronger. This is a good company to work in if you are doing extra studies as you do get free time now and again when faults are low.
Pros
Job security, good salary
Cons
No career growth path, repetitive.
3,0
Productive and fun place to work
service agent (Former Employee) –  Bloemfontein, Free State27 November 2018
Since ive been employed as a fixed term contract worker things actually changed for the better in 2016. We use to work under the labour brokers who actually didn't want to fight for us to become permanent so they terminated our contracts in 2015. August 2016 Eskom took us in as fixed term contract workers we actually earned a lot more under Eskom as trough the labour brokers but our contracts also ended at November 2017.
5,0
Professional environment with experienced staff
Technician (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape26 November 2018
Eskom is a great company to work for, it has access to resources to improve the general work environment and adopt to changes. Sraff are encouraged to be innovative and the organisation encourages learning
5,0
The company is very productive.
Mechanical fitter(intern) (Current Employee) –  Steve Tshwete, Mpumalanga18 October 2018
Its a good company to work for, I am leaving it just because they are not offering any job oppotunity at the moment .I have realised that eskom has ubuntu indeed since its one of their vallues,so basically it taught me lot of things like how to treat your collegues and customers,so I was very greatful to gain my training and experience from them as I am an ethical person because of eskom.
Pros
Free lunch and transport
Cons
Recruitments has been freezed
4,0
Productivity is the key thing
Clerk Of Works( Project Management) (Current Employee) –  Gauteng (Ekurhuleni)18 October 2018
working with contractors on a daily bases checking for quality and safety are being adhered to at all times. Superiors are easy to work with. The culture is safety.
Pros
A good learning environment
Cons
A lot of driving
Contracts Advisor (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng8 October 2018
Eskom is generally a wondefful place to work that offers good work life balance and good working hours. The one thing i enjoyed the most was the opportunities to grow together with the ability to be able to move around in the company.
Good Procedures
Production Planner (Former Employee) –  Emalahleni, Mpumalanga5 October 2018
There are very good processes and governance systems that have been created within all functional areas of the business and they are easily accessible to all employees at every level. This allows each individual to see where they fit in the organisation.
Pros
Promoted career development through study loans and grants.
Cons
Contracted out a lot of work that could have been done in house.
Day at work at Eskom.
Senior Civil & Structural engineer (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng4 October 2018
At Eskom my normal day of work started with e-mail review and exchange information with site , sub-contractors and join the technical team for shorth daily meeting. Some time all day meeting with stakeholders.

Sometimes use be involved in safety issues , design review , small calculation and draft details . Also involve in teleconferences with suppliers business partners .
Pros
Lunch and other benefits
Cons
Long hour and travel Cross country
4,0
Human Resources Advisor/Wellness Officer (Current Employee) –  Gauteng1 October 2018
Eskom offers a lot to employees, pension, medical aid, flexible working hours, maternity leave and further study opportunities. Eskom also offers bursaries to young people to study further.
Pros
Medical aid, Pension, Flexi hours
Cons
Advancement opportunities limited
Performance driven
Portfolio Manager (Projects) (Former Employee) –  Polokwane, Limpopo23 September 2018
Typical day start with administration work and schedule planning.

Use reports to review performance and strategically plan improvement

Perform Finance, HR, Procurement, Safety, Customer Services and engineering related work

Lead and manage people
Pros
Reward
Cons
health
Technical and exciting
Electrical Technician (Former Employee) –  KwaZulu-Natal19 September 2018
It good working environment and very strict with safety. Training of technical skills is very high and information is available via software at all times.
Pros
professional
Cons
long drive
Fun and Rewarding
Various positions (Former Employee) –  Steelpoort, Limpopo15 September 2018
I enjoyed my years at Eskom they made sure they trained you for the task that was expected of you and the work enviroment was pleasant as i worked outdoors in nature
A journey worth taking
Project Accountant (Current Employee) –  Mpumalanga10 September 2018
Since 2013 I've been exposed to very interesting times at Eskom. My days have been filled with systems, interaction with the engineering department and projects management department. The day during the month is filled with documentation and systems used to get investment approval of projects from the investment committee, follow ups on existing issues around project finances and providing advise regarding procedures to finance and management accounting aspects of projects.

Working with projects has taught different skills namely, communication, professional competence and due care, time management and overall self management skills. I work in a procedure intensive environment and have learned that quality is a personal issue and one should be their own leader to monitor their daily performance and ensure quality standards are met.

Management has allowed me a room for growth by letting me work independently and I could be proactive if I want to just to ensure timeous submission of reports and other responsibilities.
Different disciplines in the workplace allow one to learn one of few thing outside their daily duties and I have enjoyed learning a few technical terms which make me give a more reliable advise to my clients.

Challenges that face the company can also affect the daily duties. I work in a projects environment and progress of projects is dependent on business funds. With limited funds allocated to business units, caring out daily duties is distracted.
Pros
Awards ceremonies and training with other business units.
Cons
Budget days with strict timelines and terms. Management overriding my opinions.