Giraffe World Kitchen Employee Reviews

Supportive and Fun Work Environment
Front of House/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Birmingham5 February 2019
The team and management were so supportive with me as I was still a Full-Time student and really made working there a fun and productive work environment. Of course, some shifts can get busy and there would not be enough people on, however we all would help each other get through the shift. Loved working here and there was great work incentives to win which made shifts more fun and competitive.
Pros
Staff Meals, Paid incentives, pay benefits during busy periods
Cons
hours are not stable for full-time positions
a long-necked animal
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke30 January 2019
The giraffe (Giraffa) is a genus of African even-toed ungulate mammals, the tallest living terrestrial animals and the largest ruminants. The genus currently consists of one species, Giraffa camelopardalis, the type species. Seven other species are extinct, prehistoric species known from fossils. Taxonomic classifications of one to eight extant giraffe species have been described, based upon research into the mitochondrial and nuclear DNA, as well as morphological measurements of Giraffa, but the IUCN currently recognises only one species with nine subspecies.
fun workplace
waiter (Former Employee) –  London26 September 2018
very busy the management is lovely and friendly workplace culture everyone is hardworking and relaxed as well the most enjoyable part of the job is to always se customer smile when the leave the restaurant.
Pros
free drink
Cons
always busy
Great Place
lead by Jacinto Santos (General Manager) (Former Employee) –  Gatwick Airport landside5 September 2018
Is busy, is fun.
You have access to different training and perspectives.
The managers are professional and constantly willing to improve your knowledge and speed of service.
The food concept is delicious and attractive.
The hardest part of the job is when a student delay happens and the staff is short. The good side is, the more customers you serve, more tips and more shifts will come to you.
Pros
Free Lunch
Great Place to Work
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire25 July 2018
During my time at Giraffe I had the privileged to work with great people, serve a range of customers and have a generally great time. Would gladly recommend the food, as well as working there.
Pros
Great staff
Fun Place to work
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Glasgow25 July 2018
Went through a bad stage when sold to Tesco, Hopefully now the new owners can bring some of the original Joffy magic back to what was once a fantastic and innovating concept!
Pros
Fresh food, great staff
Cons
Tesco
Fun!
Trainee Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Norwich17 July 2018
If you like facing customers an a daily basis this job is perfect for. Chilled and fun atmosphere with great people. You can learn how to work within team, how to handle complaints and how to provide excellent customer service.
Pros
great people
Cons
weekends/ bank holidays
fun workplace
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire30 October 2017
you get all the training you need, the food very different but amazing, the hours are very long, management was always positive when i was there, the hardest part of my job was the long hours
Pros
free lunch
1,0
Not what it used to be
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Stratford, Greater London20 October 2017
Stay away the company has gone from being one of the best places to work to the worst, hours cut left right and Center then expect the staff left to do triple the work .... 15 table sections, poor tips and head office are a joke there is no surpport what’s so ever from any one
Cons
Long hours poor wages bad management
3,0
A fun industry but not a fun company
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes10 September 2017
Very low pay for the work load that is put on you and the pressures to be successful in a very fierce and competitive market. A Fast moving environment with little praise or reward for a job well done.
Pros
Great food
Cons
Felt you can never do enough
Friendly kitchen
grill chef (Former Employee) –  Southbank4 September 2017
I started as a kitchen porter and stop up in the and a chef de partie.good opportunity for experience and working in a busy place.i spend there 3 years
friendly
Waitress (Current Employee) –  milton keynes26 August 2017
Giraffe offers good training and can offer rewarding career prospects. The pay is good. A typical day would be going in, finding out what section I am allocated, get the run down of the tables currently seated, find out any promotions, dish of the day etc. Wait tables. The staff are friendly and Giraffe encourages you to be yourself, it is diverse. I enjoy serving lots of nice people, the regulars tend to become more like friends.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
can be long shifts
1,0
Be aware!!!! Stay away!!!
Waitress/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Lakeside Shopping Centre, Essex20 August 2017
Giraffe in Lakeside is such a joke. The management don't really know what is going on in this place. They're short of staff and without proper trening they will try to give you as much work as you can handle on your shoulders- wrong. They laugh and makes a big deal every time you make a mistake. They talk behind everyone's back and stealing tips one from another- crazy. There is more things to say about them, but I won't waste my time- just stay away from this place if you don't want to be well disappointed.
Pros
No tips
best company I worked for
Senior Brand Trainer (Former Employee) –  nationwide26 July 2017
the best company I ever worked for. I felt valued and staff development was an everyday thing. Opened 15 restaurants with their NSO team and were the best years of my hospitality career.
Pros
feeling valued
Cons
couldn't find one
2,0
Fun place to work. But you have no social time.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wisbech, Cambridgeshire24 July 2017
Management expect you to plan social life ( including education ) around work. Food on breaks is not provided by the company as advertised.

Must be able to work in fast pace environment and need to be able to pick up the work in less then a week if not you will moaned at.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Short silly hours. Long breaks with no food
4,0
nice people and well run
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Bluewater, Kent19 July 2017
I enjoyed working here at the beginning however by the end of my time, the hours were getting too much while I was studying and the divide between certain work staff became personal.
Pros
free lunches
3,0
Changed a lot since I left!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Norwich14 July 2017
The company has changed hands since I have left, as it was owned by Tesco. Friendly, busy working environment. The service charged worked odd how it would be used to top up management pay, but this probably doesn't happen anymore.
Ass. Bedrijfsleider (Former Employee) –  Eindhoven, Helmond21 June 2017
huishuidzaak net onder het segment van Blokker. Veel geleerd en klanten echt kunnen helpen.
Pros
xx
Cons
xx
3,0
Long hours for not a great return
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Guildford UK16 June 2017
Enjoyable, fun and fast paced environment. Excellent when working shifts with a great team. Not such a great communications channel for employees and management. Great working atmosphere. Long hours sometimes from 8am-11pm (double shifts). Very slow progression and pay rise structure. Great place to work part time whilst studying etc.
Pros
Free food an coffee.
3,0
Fun, good pay but a sad ending...
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Solihull, West Midlands29 May 2017
A typical day at work was greeting customers, serving tables and assisting with the bar. I learnt many different skills, including organisation, communication and customer service. Management was good, however, there were no permanent managers (apart from one). The hardest part of the job was having so many tabs open in your brain - getting home and going to sleep and still thinking about work... It was also very stressful at times.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the team (bubbly front of house and hilarious kitchen staff) and the regular smiley customers.

Sadly, the restaurant I worked at closed down. I was given redundancy pay, however, we were not told in advance (I got a text on the day they actually shut the restaurant telling me)

Overall, shifts went fast and the team was fun!
Pros
Free food on shift, good team, good pay
Cons
late nights, stressful days

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Giraffe World Kitchen. Our community is ready to answer.

3,7