Giraffe World Kitchen Employee Reviews

Nice place to work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire20 May 2019
Giraffe experience was amazing, i learn plenty and have a overall grate experience with it. Unfortunately company is closing restaurant and due to situation Iam looking for new beginning.
Chef
Chef de Partie (Former Employee) –  Bath15 April 2019
The worst place I ever work in my entire life, no support at all for the chefs, stressful and hard work 😓. Whatsoever not the best place you dreamed of. As a chef you can’t learn much in there as most of there food come ready in the bags.
Supportive and Fun Work Environment
Front of House/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Birmingham5 February 2019
The team and management were so supportive with me as I was still a Full-Time student and really made working there a fun and productive work environment. Of course, some shifts can get busy and there would not be enough people on, however we all would help each other get through the shift. Loved working here and there was great work incentives to win which made shifts more fun and competitive.
Pros
Staff Meals, Paid incentives, pay benefits during busy periods
Cons
hours are not stable for full-time positions
Not what used to be
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes31 January 2019
When I started it was all about the guest, the food being fresh & making sure the staff where trained to be the best. Now it is about the profit, so the food is not fresh, the guest gets less for there money & there is no time to train new starters. I was expected to deliver better numbers then the previous year with half the amount of staff so i ended up working over 55 hours each week when I was contracted for 48. When I did have a day off I would still be contacted by my area manager. No consideration for when I had child care issues.
Pros
People, staff food, pay
Cons
Hours, upper management
a long-necked animal
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke30 January 2019
The giraffe (Giraffa) is a genus of African even-toed ungulate mammals, the tallest living terrestrial animals and the largest ruminants. The genus currently consists of one species, Giraffa camelopardalis, the type species. Seven other species are extinct, prehistoric species known from fossils. Taxonomic classifications of one to eight extant giraffe species have been described, based upon research into the mitochondrial and nuclear DNA, as well as morphological measurements of Giraffa, but the IUCN currently recognises only one species with nine subspecies.
excellent work culture
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham29 October 2018
I would highly recommend Giraffe to everyone. It is a great company to work for, with an amazing work culture and great leaders. They always take time to invest in their employees.
Pros
great work-life balance
fun workplace
waiter (Former Employee) –  London26 September 2018
very busy the management is lovely and friendly workplace culture everyone is hardworking and relaxed as well the most enjoyable part of the job is to always se customer smile when the leave the restaurant.
Pros
free drink
Cons
always busy
nice company
Assistant Chef (Former Employee) –  Manchester6 September 2018
The experience was amazing for a first job in england. All team was nice and helpful. I have learn a lot about food, allergies and security rules in Manchester Airport.
Pros
Enviroment and staff
Great Place
lead by Jacinto Santos (General Manager) (Former Employee) –  Gatwick Airport landside5 September 2018
Is busy, is fun.
You have access to different training and perspectives.
The managers are professional and constantly willing to improve your knowledge and speed of service.
The food concept is delicious and attractive.
The hardest part of the job is when a student delay happens and the staff is short. The good side is, the more customers you serve, more tips and more shifts will come to you.
Pros
Free Lunch
Great Place to Work
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire25 July 2018
During my time at Giraffe I had the privileged to work with great people, serve a range of customers and have a generally great time. Would gladly recommend the food, as well as working there.
Pros
Great staff
Fun Place to work
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Glasgow25 July 2018
Went through a bad stage when sold to Tesco, Hopefully now the new owners can bring some of the original Joffy magic back to what was once a fantastic and innovating concept!
Pros
Fresh food, great staff
Cons
Tesco
Fun!
Trainee Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Norwich17 July 2018
If you like facing customers an a daily basis this job is perfect for. Chilled and fun atmosphere with great people. You can learn how to work within team, how to handle complaints and how to provide excellent customer service.
Pros
great people
Cons
weekends/ bank holidays
3,0
When sold to tesco the company ethos was lost
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire24 May 2018
Giraffe was a fantastic place to work, motivational and fun when the original owners were running the company. When sold to Tesco the food went from fresh to microwave and the ethos fell apart. My career progression was never clear. Management were okay but didn't listen to AMs. Company is more focused on controlling spends by cutting rather than pushing sales. Everyone is on the National living wage and the rest of the salary is made up through Tronc/Service charge
Pros
managers paid by the hour
Cons
work life balance, communication
fun workplace
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire30 October 2017
you get all the training you need, the food very different but amazing, the hours are very long, management was always positive when i was there, the hardest part of my job was the long hours
Pros
free lunch
Not what it used to be
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Stratford, Greater London20 October 2017
Stay away the company has gone from being one of the best places to work to the worst, hours cut left right and Center then expect the staff left to do triple the work .... 15 table sections, poor tips and head office are a joke there is no surpport what’s so ever from any one
Cons
Long hours poor wages bad management
3,0
A fun industry but not a fun company
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes10 September 2017
Very low pay for the work load that is put on you and the pressures to be successful in a very fierce and competitive market. A Fast moving environment with little praise or reward for a job well done.
Pros
Great food
Cons
Felt you can never do enough
Friendly kitchen
grill chef (Former Employee) –  Southbank4 September 2017
I started as a kitchen porter and stop up in the and a chef de partie.good opportunity for experience and working in a busy place.i spend there 3 years
friendly
Waitress (Current Employee) –  milton keynes26 August 2017
Giraffe offers good training and can offer rewarding career prospects. The pay is good. A typical day would be going in, finding out what section I am allocated, get the run down of the tables currently seated, find out any promotions, dish of the day etc. Wait tables. The staff are friendly and Giraffe encourages you to be yourself, it is diverse. I enjoy serving lots of nice people, the regulars tend to become more like friends.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
can be long shifts
1,0
Be aware!!!! Stay away!!!
Waitress/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Lakeside Shopping Centre, Essex20 August 2017
Giraffe in Lakeside is such a joke. The management don't really know what is going on in this place. They're short of staff and without proper trening they will try to give you as much work as you can handle on your shoulders- wrong. They laugh and makes a big deal every time you make a mistake. They talk behind everyone's back and stealing tips one from another- crazy. There is more things to say about them, but I won't waste my time- just stay away from this place if you don't want to be well disappointed.
Pros
No tips
best company I worked for
Senior Brand Trainer (Former Employee) –  nationwide26 July 2017
the best company I ever worked for. I felt valued and staff development was an everyday thing. Opened 15 restaurants with their NSO team and were the best years of my hospitality career.
Pros
feeling valued
Cons
couldn't find one

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Giraffe World Kitchen. Our community is ready to answer.

3,7