GVI Employee Reviews

3,0
Group Support Coordinator
Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape8 May 2019
Pre-departure support for service learning groups including high schools, universities and youth groups.
Communicating with field staff and chaperones via email and telephonically
Pros
Excellent company culture/goals
Cons
Shift work hours
5,0
Volunteering is a must do!
I spent 6 weeks doing volunteer work and it was the best experience of my life, and would highly recommend it.
The first 4 weeks I spent in a primary school in one of the townships just outside Cape Town, teaching English & Maths, these were one-on-one sessions, and the children were chosen by their class teacher, due to falling behind in these subjects. We also ran an after school workshops which had a different theme each week.
My last 2 weeks, due to Easter school break, were spent at an orphanage in the township, where we would read, play games, sing songs, again these were all theme based. We would also cover hygiene ie teeth brushing, washing hands before food.
The hardest part, was adapting to being with a group of people (13) you didn't know 24/7, especially when I live alone!
The first week was very hard at the school, not having taught before, but you do get into the swing of things and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute.
The staff and other volunteers were very helpful and supportive.