Harmony Gold Mine

Harmony Gold Mine Employee Reviews

5,0
Very challenging and more experience.
Intern Junior Environmental Officer (Former Employee) –  Doornkop, Gauteng28 January 2020
It was a pleasure working at Harmony Gold. The management and staff were very proffessional and helpful. I gained a lot of experience on site and in the office and my confidence also increased. I managed to complete my Work Integrated Learning and graduated. Unfoetunately my contract ended at the end of 2017 but I would love to work there again in future.
5,0
It is not simple to get job of your qualification
rock drill operator (Former Employee) –  Odendaalsrus, Free State23 January 2020
If anybody can be allowed to study at the field of his choice through financial assistance and if workers can be allowed to raise their views. Most of miners,shift bosses and other positions are occupied by people who paid bribery and selling their bodies in exchange for better jobs.
4,0
Good
Apprenticeship (Former Employee) –  Virginia, Free State8 January 2020
Problem solving,hard working , disciplined and team player is required to work at HGM .It is a great company to work for and have good benefits . Growing entity and development in your career is guaranteed.
5,0
I am a dedicated person who can handle pressure
Miner (Former Employee) –  Carletonville, Gauteng5 December 2019
I am a miner with 12 years working experience for both covintional and development mining.I have been trained for a Shift C Boss job as well.I was blasting panels and safely achieving my targets.
Workplace
SYSTEM ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Randfontein, Gauteng27 November 2019
Great place to work and best remuneration structure

Fun and fast paced

Study assistance and bonuses

Only draw back is job security due to retrenchment
Productive and Challenging
Every morning at 06h15am I start the day by going to the Self Managed Team Meeting which comprises of every employee and Every Level Of Plant Management. we preview what was planned yesterday with regards to production targets, safety and breakdowns if the objectives were met or not,and we also get feedback from the Shifstman and Artisans about the current condition of the Plant.
from the Meeting I get to the office and write the production report, and follow-up on the new breakdowns if they have been attended to.
later in the day I generate new orders for the items needed on site and also make a follow up with suppliers.

I learned a lot about leadership and how to handle employee behavior.
The management is supportive and willing to see you as an employee achieve your personal endeavors.
the work culture is lively such that every Thursday we have a safety meeting were all the employees attend and it is a platform for anyone to ask whatever question and jokes are made as part of the meeting.

The hardest part of the Job is to correct an employee who believes that they are always right.

The most enjoyable part of the Job is to achieve the Planned Volumes safely at the lowest sustainable costs.
Pros
bring your own lunch
Cons
8-10hours
productive
fitter artisan (Former Employee) –  underground21 October 2019
Harmony is a productive mine and nice to work for the plants is also nice and harmony has nice bonuses its just some shafts the people make the workplaces not nice
Ideal Employer for me
Miner (Current Employee) –  Roodepoort, Gauteng2 October 2019
Its and environment where you are allowed to thrive, learn, and be an independent thinker. No sinlge day is the same and everyday you gain eperience about how to do your job more EFFICIENTLY
Relatively safe work environment
Mine worker (Former Employee) –  Welkom, Free State11 September 2019
The job involves a risk of harm that is very high and there is no security over safety.
I have learned to work in teams and at times take the Leadership position.
Exposure to extensive heat is a disadvantage but the relationships built in the workplace are for life.
5,0
My review in Harmony is safety and production
Miner working as developer (Former Employee) –  Tshepong mine free state4 August 2019
I worked for harmony all most 13yrs.i end up working as a developer.harmony is a good campany in terms of sefty production and it's salaries.harmony is like home of richness I would like to work for harmony again
4,0
We were producing a lot and good things were happening.
M/O (Former Employee) –  FS30 July 2019
general, Harmony is a good company to work at. You feel at home thou sometimes it differs with the type of management at the shaft.Harmony has built me from nothing to someone. I grew up in the company thou it was Anglo-American then Anglo-Gold, then Free Gold, then Join Ventur and final Harmony took over. In all these companies, I learned who I am because of others, how to manage, leader, organize, plan and to control. We have a family culture with the work force. We took the company as ours, that means we look after it as it also looks after us. The hardest part of it started when other shaft were being closed. That is nepotism. The most important thing was for us to achieve our targets and to achieve more.
Pros
There was no free lunches. Have your own food.
Cons
Yes of cause. We used to work long hours and it was becoming a norm
5,0
These mostly make my employer happy
driver code 10 pdp,rdo (Current Employee) –  Welkom, Free State6 June 2019
I was working with my coworkers friendly, I used to respect them same like my employer, sometimes we talking about jokes so that the job done easy and enyoying smoke cigarettes
Pros
No lunch time till I finish my call
Cons
8 hours to 12 hours a day
Mineral Rich mine
Shaft Manager (Former Employee) –  ZA25 April 2019
Left soon after Harmony took over as I knew the mine from Learner official days. I decided to spread my wings and try find another opportunity as I had been at Randfontein all my life.
Fun working place
Ground team assistant (Former Employee) –  Mpumalanga, KwaZulu-Natal7 April 2019
Must follow safety precautions to be safe and to avoid accidence. Be sober minded and always pay attention to what you do to stay safe.wear your ppe when going underground
Pros
Free breakfast
Cons
Normal hours
Good house keeping
Electrician Artisan (Current Employee) –  Orkney, North West24 March 2019
Harmony use 5 golden rules and is working side of safety 1.safety
2.accountablity
3.honesty
4.connection
5. Achievement
Use also Slam to achieve every
Pros
No your owen lunch
Cons
30mins lunch
5,0
Good
Mine Overseer (Former Employee) –  Welkom, Free State14 February 2019
i Worked here for 25 years in the mining side and had my best mining days at harmony they are a good company to work for and i had an awesome experience here were i learned a lot and gain a lot of experience .
3,0
good working environment ..people respecting each others values
Trackless Developer (Current Employee) –  Allanridge, Free State13 February 2019
Working on a typical day at work can sometimes be hard seeing that you are working with different ethnic groups and people with diverse backgrounds..but it also add to the challenges that must be met in order to reach targets set by management.
Pros
working 4 x 4 (four days on four days off)
Cons
unrealistic production targets against shortage of material and labour
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Free State31 January 2019
Its a reliable company that always stands on its values and deliver on there promises,it always take care its employees and does not compromise on safety
Pros
Cons
No long hours
cool
Senior Geologist (Former Employee) –  Randfontein, Gauteng9 January 2019
1. on a daily basis its about communication with mining department through mapping report, meeting(grade, waterboard and safety).
2.You must have a good communication with miners. two way communication from you to indivividuals you are communicating to.
3.In all the communication made manager must know the feedback.
4. It become challenging when miners mine grond not planned and this turn to affect the mine call factor for the particular month.
Its enjoyable when you are recognised for good relationship with other department and you are fully recognised in the organisation.
Pros
You gain acceptability in organisation
Cons
Criticism when thing are not inorder
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Welkom, Free State19 July 2018
It was very nice to work for Harmony.I also appreciate the fact that I've done my learnership at Harmony.The condition underground wasn't that bad,because workshop s are inspected daily.
Pros
Free lunches