IBM Employee Reviews

Found 153 reviews matching the search See all 25 328 reviews
2,0
Welk okee.
Eerste Lijns IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg12 April 2019
Op je werk aangekomen de computer opstarten, bakkie koffie erbij, applicaties openen en wachten op de je eerste foutmelding.
Rustig blijven al het probleem wordt uitgelegd en analytisch meedenken om tot vervolgens tot een oplossing te komen. Oplossing uitzetten en bij resultaat de cliënt informeren dat het probleem is opgelost.
Management kwam je alleen mee in aanraking als het bedrijfstechnisch was.
Bedrijfscultuur was typisch Amerikaans.
Wat moeilijk was, was de rust op de afdeling bewaren als er niks te doen was.
Het leukste waren de collega’s waarmee je buiten het werk mee dingen ondernam.
Pros
Trainingen en inspiratie.
Cons
Onervaren collega’s op de werkvloer die het verpesten voor de andere collega’s.
Fun
Intern PHP Applications Developer (Former Employee) –  Cresta22 January 2019
It was fun to work at ibm, i was given an opportunity to experience both the working environment aswell as the classroom environment , i worked on various projects that where mainly for school pupils, e-learning applications
5,0
A Global company with good benefits
Sub Sahara Payroll Manager (Former Employee) –  Gauteng7 January 2019
Excellent company to work for with great benefits.Room for promotion global.Good working condtions.One can work from home if approved by business unit.
4,0
Employer that values work/life balance
Quality Manager (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, South Africa12 November 2018
IBM values work/life balance and how accommodating employees can help them become more productive. IBM has a vast library of free education making IBM the perfect place to expand knowledge and experience
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Job Security
Ibm 1980 to 1996
Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng8 November 2018
During my employment at IBM South Africa (1980 -1996) I attended a large number of internal training sessions. This training helped me in various technical and soft skills. The positions I held was of technical (hardware and software) nature, but required of me to network with IBM Customers. This was in itself a large development area of my skillset.
IBM management was professional, trustworthy and a high level of integrity was maintained.
Pros
Experienced personal growth as technology improved.
Cons
Sometime long hours
3,0
My Thoughts
Internal controls, Testing and Investigation, (Current Employee) –  City of Johannesburg, Gauteng30 October 2018
Collaborative, fast paced, interactive, a lot of meetings via phone webex due to being an international company, a lot of training available both face to face as well as online, learnt a lot about myself and my abilities due to the varying job roles I have had the opportunity to have.
Pros
Growth
Cons
Process Complexity
Professional company
Financial Planner (Former Employee) –  South Africa10 October 2018
As stated before , IBM offers a career for those willing to walk the walk and talk the talk . Its a great company and treats its customers , business partners , competitors and employees with respect.
Pros
Professsional
Cons
Salary not always great
5,0
Always challenging assignment but very interesting and flexible
South Africa Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng20 September 2018
Best company to work for especially if you are looking at developing your career technically and knowledge of IS/IT offers in the market. Options to travel and learn processes in other countries especially technically advance countries.
Pros
Extensive development
Cons
Complex International processes
4,0
Good company to work for
Client Technical Professional (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg25 August 2018
The culture is great. They have very strong values that they adhere to and ensure all employees live by. Highly respected organisation with proper training for all employees.
Great learning culture
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng23 August 2018
There is huge potential to learn at IBM and it was an incredible experience.
There was a lot of international travel and international exposure to experts.
Service Delivery Manager and Business Analyst
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng22 August 2018
A typical day at work is usually extremely busy. Almost not time for lunch.

At IBM you never stop learning - no matter what you do. Everyday something new will be learned.

Management is stern focussed and driven requiring a mature mindset.

My job is not really hard. Just exceptionally challenging. Thinking, problem solving, innovation is some key characteristics of my job.

What I get to learn and how I apply it.
Pros
Flexible working times and amount of learning.
Cons
Hours spent working.
Technician (Former Employee) –  East Rand, Gauteng13 August 2018
You will login and focus on your to do list for the day .

Typical day, I will be focusing on fixing the printers, monitors , atms and all other IBM equipment that was brought for repairs.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
physical exhausting
1,0
IBM South Africa - Callcentre - IDC
callcentre agent (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng31 July 2018
Terrible place to work. No increases for years. Literally a bubblegum company, they use you till you can not give no more and then get someone else. Salaries way below market related, they get foreigners from Europe to work for half of an European unemployment benefit luring you under false pretences of "watching elephants in your free time". Poor management and top performers are rewarded with "a day of" If you want to eat noodles every day, please do apply to work here.
Pros
Cons
45hr workweek, below average pay, no increases, no growth. poor management
Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng23 July 2018
Flexible and good culture envirnomnent and career exposure so good and following Agile Stream to most of there project.
Medium work that need more dedication and challenging not overstressing and fun environment to work on in it.
Fun Workplace
Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  South Africa Johannesburg11 July 2018
A typical day at work I would answer calls, reply to sametime messages and assist with any issues that the customer would encounter and send tickets to the different departments.

Working for IBM I learned a lot on how to use computers and I also learned a lot on the software and hardward side of things.

Regarding management I was lucky to have a brilliant Team Leader and Manager too.

The workplace culture was very interesting as there were many people from all over around the world that used to work in different departments.

The hardest part of the job was not being able to solve a specific problem after you have tried everything and trouble shooting, and all the necessary tools that were given to you.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that you would get awarded a prize for best agent if you took the most calls, and as a team we would all help each other.
Good Learning Opportunity
ICC intern (Former Employee) –  Sandton, Gauteng9 July 2018
This was a perfect introductory start into my professional career and learned about how IBM interacts with local software developers to develop their applications
IBM in Africa
Tech Solution Manager (Former Employee) –  Gauteng30 June 2018
Excellent travel Perks and a different work home balance made it a good working experienced.
The south African management was a bit immature and the hardest part of the Job was having to impress multiple matrix managers across different GEO's.
The most enjoyable part was traveling across Africa and Europe when doing various projects.
What a learnt is with the IP IBM has accumulated over the years there was no project or task that IBM could not handle.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
South African resources not given overseas oppty as the other International IBM resources.
productive
IT Specialist (AS400) (Former Employee) –  Sandton, Gauteng7 June 2018
Responsible for the day-to-day running of a large iSeries operational environment. This includes batch job scheduling and monitoring, tape management and performing problem determination and problem source identification in software environments, problem analysis, evaluation, recreation, and resolution of customer reported and resolution of related hardware and software in a multiple customer environment. Johnson & Johnsons, Atlas Copco, Huntsman, Deutsche Bank, Gates, etc.
- Operating I series systems for customers in accordance with laid down standards and procedures; Monitoring the system performance and user jobs; Data mirror ; MQ series
- Robot jobs monitoring and restarting failed jobs;
- Basic problem solving and reporting them to Application Developers and Engineers;
- Backups and Restores; Backup and Recovery Media Services (BRMS);
- Maintenance jobs, Reclaim storage and Library Re-orgs;
- Provides end user support for IBM and AS/400 computer systems and warehouse applications.
- Monitors entire computer environment during shift.
Pros
overtime payments was fast
Cons
shifts
Stimulating work environment
Software Client Lead (Former Employee) –  Sandton, Gauteng16 May 2018
A great organisation to work with and always be at the leading edge of technology. Not one day is the same working at IBM. Stimulating, fast moving, changing, challenging. Interaction with many intelligent colleagues and clients.
4,0
Excellent place to work for
I. T. Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape29 March 2018
All the companies I worked for had a nice environment. Management was always there to support you in any way possible. I also like the comradery. There was lots of oppertunities to further your carreer. Courses was made available. What frustrated me was sometimes you need to go through to much REDTAPE to get what you want. A typical day would consist of Planning for the day, continue on current projects, normal BAU and any emergency or sev 1 problems.
Pros
Flexi time
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IBM. Our community is ready to answer.

3,9