Independent Media Employee Reviews

Editor (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape3 February 2019
Good working with my colleagues, fun loving people. I enjoy helping others tell their story, and i love exposing what needs to be exposed. I work with some great people.
Pros
Good people
Cons
working on sundays
2,0
Lack of job security, little pay
Journalist (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng17 December 2018
Management does not care about its workers. Two retrenchment processes in two years so the job security is extremely low.

The work life balance is problematic because often required to work on weekends and after normal hours.
Pros
Benefits in salary
Cons
Too many
3,0
High demand yet low salary
Fashion and beauty multi-media writer (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape7 November 2018
Working under immense pressure in an unmotivating environment. Lack of leadership or encouragement and no scope for growth or job advancement. The hardest part of the job is unrealistic demands. I love what I do, my actual job, just not the environment I'm forced to work in.
Pros
Meeting interesting people in the industry
Cons
Bad working conditions
Productive and Friendly environment
Group HR Business Partner (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape27 August 2018
Each day is different, you can never tell what issues will arise and this is due to the big workforce we have.

It's exciting because it's busy and you always have work to do.
The culture is easy but fast paced and a busy environment.

The hardest part of my job is remaining middle grounded and always remembering not to get personally involved with staff issues.

Most enjoyable part of my job are the friendly team I work with.
Pros
Fringe Benefits
Cons
Fast paced environment
3,0
Productive and flexible working environment.
Sales Representative / Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Durban2 February 2018
Productive and flexible working environment. Well managed and excellent working hours. Training provided, helpful management staff along with cheerful colleagues.
5,0
Fun place to work at.
News Reporter (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape9 November 2017
It's a place to grow and learn your strength, fun to work at. The collegues and management are like family help you to grow and feel like part of the family.
Pros
Free lunch when having meetings and an opportunity to participate in charity work.
The great divide
Editorial (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape2 August 2017
Lack of communication between upper management and other employees.
Uncertainty about the future.
Upper management / owners seem driven by political agenda.
Expects more work from less staff, but not willing to compensate.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Lack of growth
learning experience
Multimedia Intern (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape28 June 2017
I learned a lot about the kind of company I worked for and was lucky enough to have the nicest colleagues, but I cannot say I learnt much from my time there. I had a lovely team and it was a pleasure to work with them.
2,0
Productive team and incredibly tight groups working to even tighter deadlines. My newspaper, The Star, had a fun but productive environment.
Chief of production, The Star (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng17 April 2017
I had 20 very happy years there and it has taught me everything I know. But the recent changes in ownership I feel has severely affected the quality of the products and the morale of the staff. So my review may be harsh but it only reflects recent changes.
Pros
Being hands-on with all aspects of production. Having a wonderful team behind me
Cons
Change of ownership which required some unethical wprk procedures.
4,0
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal1 November 2016
Dealing with different clients on a daily basis
Achieving monthly targets
Management are very supportive
Colleagues work in their own space
Cancellations
When our article/features are published with no gliches
Pros
free newspaper
Cons
paying for parking
4,0
Challenging and rewarding
Events Executive (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng28 June 2016
Work day typically starts at 8:30 and ends at 16:30 Usually calling clients and sending through proposals, balancing with conceptualizing events for the year and doing presentations to clients as well as executives/CEO

I have learned a lot of valuable lessons and am proud to have been part of a team that I could also add value to. Fortunately to work at a media house that has existing clientelle and greater following, I've learned to do presentations to senior people in companies as well as take lead in many projects. I mainly work closely with my line manger as we are the only two people managing and foreseeing the events department, the rest of the team are all sales/Account Executives. It's a fairly small team, we all get a long well and assist each other where necessary, promoting team work.

The most enjoyable part of the job is definitely meeting and networking with truly amazing, inspirational people and getting to share innovative ideas, as well as travelling, putting together an event and watching it all come together beautifully in the end. That is so rewarding.
Pros
Networking
Cons
Odd working hours (When there's an event)