Legal Aid South Africa

Legal Aid South Africa Employee Reviews

4,0
Best employer for practical experience
Candidate Attorney (Former Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape23 January 2020
Amazing company lots of training and criminal and civil litigation experience. Company also assists candidate attorney with preparation for the attorneys admission exams
Pros
Training, experience
Cons
Workload, pressure
5,0
Great work environment and client oriented.
Candidate Attorney (Former Employee) –  Worcester, Western Cape13 January 2020
Effective management strategies. Development opportunities. Clients service professionals and experts in criminal and civil litigation. Fast paced and deadline motivated.
5,0
Fastpace yet productive working environment
Candidate Attorney (Former Employee) –  Benoni, Gauteng13 January 2020
Legal Aid South Africa involved daily court attendance and administration of files , one had to balance court roll.with office administration on a daily basis. Even though there was so much work ,.it still gets done properly due to excellent management who always made sure we're up to date with our work.
4,0
Productive and fun work place
Professional Attorney (Former Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape6 January 2020
Remuneration is linked to OSD and information is freely available. Great systems support for legal research and problem solving. Great mentorship programme by senior attorneys. Litigation is impactful and satisfying.
4,0
Fun workplace whilst also educational with a lot of room for growth
Candidate Attorney (Former Employee) –  Phuthaditjhaba, Free State20 November 2019
My experience at Legal Aid was nothing short of just being amazing!! The culture of the organisation is a very friendly close knitted family-like environment where practitioners are there to assist one another. The development and training/mentoring programmes that are employed at the organisation help immensely with the growth of an individual as a practicing attorney.

You can expect to have a lot of files as each practitioner mans their own court, so you would have to polish up on your organisation and administrative skills in order to have smooth flowing court roll for those files assigned in your court. Management personnel have an open door policy so you can always approach any of the senior practitioners to assist when you are stuck with a matter, although you also do have an assigned senior mentor who is basically there to assist you.
Even though it is a lot of work and you are sometimes inclined to take some work home with you in order to prepare for the following day's trials, be that as it may you can trust that you will be adequately remunerated for that volume of work.

The only down side is that you will not get much Civil exposure, so prospects of you finding employment in civil practice after articling at LASA are very minimal as you would not be bringing with you much skill set or experience in that area of the law.
I need any job
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Umtata, Eastern Cape20 November 2019
I work at legal aid south africa as intern i real enjoy to work with them while at times might be very difficult to work with people how does not care about your situation but i learnt a lot from that company the only thing i like to work at legal aid there is alot of work from different depertemnt that a good thing because it gives a lot of experience to work different posetions
productive nad fun
candidate attorney (Former Employee) –  Bloemfontein, Free State15 November 2019
the team spirit, management were involved and team players. fairness. they focused on the bigger picture; teaching the candidate the law. they were very supportive.
Pros
team building
4,0
candidate attorneys are overworked and there is no mentorship
Candidate Attorney (Former Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape7 November 2019
management is disorganized, and its difficult for organised person to work with disorganized management. Candidate attorneys are overworked and there is no mentor-ship.
4,0
They is a lot of things to learn at legal aid such as teamworking, providing free legal service to poor and vurnable.
Admin Officer (Former Employee) –  Port Shepstone, KwaZulu-Natal4 November 2019
They prioritise teamwork they are very good in team building.
Legal aid is a leader in provision of accessibility,ethical and independent legal service to poor.
They have excelence service
Passion for justice and protecting of human rights. And lastly legal aid ensures justice and better life for all.
5,0
The ability to apply your mind and help the community while doing what you are most passionate about.
Candidate Attorney (Former Employee) –  Athlone, Western Cape29 October 2019
My litigation passion and skills always enhanced while I help the rest of the vulnerable poor people, cause being vulnerable does not only mean one is vulnerable from authorities but the fact that one is poor and uneducated makes them vulnerable. Thus an employer by the people for the people with the people, that is Legal Aid South Africa
Pros
Tranings
Cons
Long Hours
5,0
great performance and good services
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Umtata, Eastern Cape18 October 2019
its very enjoyable to work at legal-aid they give a great services to clients and walk-in. we work as team, respect each other follow the policies of legal-aid
4,0
Work load is a bit much howevet that helped me alot to work well under pressure. Gained alot of experience, especially in criminal law.
Candidate Attorney (Former Employee) –  Bellville, Western Cape9 October 2019
The part of my duties was to defend client to the best that I can, providing quality services to them. With that I had to give sound advice in law, therefore give a critical analysis of the facts, summarize and extract the good and bad facts. Majority of my duties was done at court. However, there was also an administrative part to it. All advice given, consultation done, pending matters, trials done and pleas & admissions done and was reduced to writing. This was a way of showing accountability of the work that I as a practitioner took. For four days I would be at court conducting postponements, trials, pleas and bail applications, among other things. The other day would be spent at the office and be used as a consultation day, prison day or a civil day. Much to say, the job itself is well rounded
Pros
Community activities
Cons
Work load
Empowering
Legal Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Fort Beaufort, Eastern Cape8 October 2019
Legal aid is a place that empowers and has a lot of work. There is job security but administration is too much for an attorney who works for a firm not a sole practitioner. The rights of an accused are taken soo highly sometimes to the detriment of the employee. They have a nice work environment.
Pros
Litigation skills are sharpened
Cons
One dimensional attorney
Lack of resources
Admin (Former Employee) –  Mthatha, Eastern Cape29 September 2019
They should employ more Attorneys because Mthatha Branch is a very big branch with lot of courts under it. Legal aid should not most focus on Criminal matters.
Great Experience
Global Public Interest Law Fellow (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal22 August 2019
I had the opportunity to work with the best attorneys in South Africa. They are excellent teachers and mentors. I never experienced a better team. I would work there again in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, the internship was for a limited time.
Challenging
Candidate attorney (Current Employee) –  Nelspruit9 August 2019
Working with people is not an easy task especially if their future depends on your hands.Clients share the most confidential information with you in confidence and trust you to protect them
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Too much workload
5,0
Productive and fun in the workplace
Criminal ATTORNEY (Former Employee) –  BUTTEREWORTH JUSTICE CENTER(EASTERN CAPE)24 May 2019
I worked in Legal Aid as a Criminal Attorney ,representing Clients in courtn for four days a week as Friday it was a separate day for consultations with clients and for one to research for cases of the following week. Each month end one was expected to do a monthly report of the work he has done in the previous month.The was also monthly training one was expected to attend each monthend different topics were presented by practitioners. I learnt a lot as I worked with different individuals some were new and some had been in the legal field for some time.

I further learnt to work under any type of environment and to meet dead lines each month as such was expected of me. Values of the company one each day had to uphold one of those values was the spirit of Ubuntu, I worked with disadvantaged communities who had nothing but most of all rested their faith in us for justice to be done not only to be seen to be done.

Culture in the work place was overwhelming as all members of my team were always available to assist when there was a need, we further had team buildings to help us and encourage us not only to know about each other in the work place but also outside of work.

Hardest part I would say was the fact that one had to travel outside as some of us operated outside courts where you had to leave the office at 7 oclock in the morning so as to be early in court and coming back to the office after hours and you were expected to be ready for the following day to present your cases the following day in court. Even though it was not hard as such as one was doing something
  more... she loved and I enjoyed each and every moment and on weekends one at times had to be at work.  less
Pros
Free launch at times
3,0
productive high intense work place
Candidate Attorney (Former Employee) –  Mthatha, Eastern Cape21 May 2019
It varies depending the court that you are assigned to, some offices do not have a lot of work but the big offices are work load heavy. you do a lot of administration and that takes you time away from preparing for court.
excellent work place
Candidate Attorney (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal21 May 2019
I enjoy working for Legal Aid. my typical day at work is preparing for court in the mornings and leaving for court. I am in court for most of the day. I work at the District court. I have learnt litigation skills, oral and written communication skills. I have excellent management and I have learnt a lot from my manager. the workplace has a beautiful culture. I enjoy my job because I have mastered the art of litigation.
Pros
exposure to both civil and criminal matters
Cons
long court hours
5,0
Great workplace for learning and advancing one's career.
Paralegal intern (Current Employee) –  Phuthaditjhaba, Free State18 April 2019
Legal Aid is a great learning environment.

It is the fast paced environment in which you always have to be on your game, but also helps in terms of getting used to meeting deadlines and achieving daily mandates

The management is great and patient towards interns, which is great as its their first time entering a work environment.

I enjoy my daily mandates which includes consulting with clients and advising them on legal matters especially civil matters as am mostly placed there.
Pros
Great learning environment
Cons
No stipend