LifeCheq Employee Reviews

4,0
Fast moving, challenging, exciting
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape8 November 2019
As you would expect from a startup, there are constant challenges and expect a very high paced working environment. You can either see this as a problem or as a growth opportunity... the choice is yours. Expect to have a lot of responsibility early on.
1,0
No sense of acknowledgment for hard work done, poor salary, bad management
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape28 June 2019
The job itself was enjoyable and the lower level staff in general were great to work with, but there is a lot of mismanagement. Management and supervisors are not taken to task when they are in the wrong.

I worked really hard for this company, and they drained everything out of me, never once acknowledged my hard work but rather gave my superior credit for my work . Worst of all they did not give an increase on the pathetic salary, not even for inflation!

Most employees at the company are very unhappy as their grievances are not taken seriously at all. They pretend to be fixing the problem but nothing gets changed in the long run. Management does little to no work while passing their duties off to lower level staff.

I do not recommend working here, especially if you you want to move up the ranks. There is no space to grow within the company.
Pros
Good work culture (this is only because of the general staff, and no doing of management, founders and CEOs
Cons
long hours, poor salary. no acknowledgment of hard work
Official response from LifeCheq
15 July 2019

I am sorry that you felt this way about your experiences and I sincerely wish you had taken advantage of the many channels we have in the company to raise your concerns. Staff at LifeCheq have direct access to our founders, an anonymous feedback channel internally, an HR consultant, and a staff forum of colleagues that you can raise issues with. We've checked all those channels and these concerns were not raised there.

As you will know, all of our supervisors and most of the line managers at LifeCheq joined the company early on and have risen to senior levels through merit. There are a number of employees who started in entry level roles 2 years ago and are now in senior roles. We have a specific policy of promoting high performing candidates from within, so there is in fact plenty of scope for growth at our company.

I am sorry you feel your work was not acknowledged. I understand that working in a high performance environment can be challenging, and we are at least partially at fault for perhaps at times not communicating effectively enough how we evaluate performance. That is something we're getting better at. However, we also operate in a demanding environment and we cannot give rewards where performance is lacking. I know that having your performance being reviewed objectively can be at times hard, but I would encourage you to reflect on the feedback you would have been given.

Some aspects of what you've said, for instance about resolving grievances quicker are things we are looking at - thank you for that feedback.

I do take some exception to the comment that "management  more... does little to no work while passing off their duties to lower level staff". This is disrepectful and insensitive to people who work exceptionally hard and are brilliant at what they do. I understand that you are hurt and possibly quite disappointed, but if it is difficult for you to see that people are in their roles because of merit, then I am afraid you will struggle to learn from the reasons you career didn't advance here in the way you hoped.

I hope that as your career develops you gain the ability to raise issues more constructively with your future team and are able to engage with feedback in a more positive way. Raising issues for the first time on a public platform does little to grow your career personally and it limits the useful impact it might have otherwise had with your team.

I also hope that despite your grievances, you experienced some personal growth in your time with us.

All of us at LifeCheq wish you the very best for your career in the future.

Regards
Abu Addae
CEO

Ask a question about working or interviewing at LifeCheq. Our community is ready to answer.

3,0