LifeCheq

LifeCheq Employee Reviews

5,0
A company with good morals.
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape23 February 2020
Coming from a corporate structured environment, LifeCheq gave me a better outlook on the financial industry.

The company is trying to change the industry and is very client focussed which I myself believe in. This is a company which puts the client's needs first and does not try to sell for the sake of selling. This creates trust with clients and helps retain business.

The hours are very flexible as long as you managed to complete your targets. If targets are met, you are guaranteed an increase in salary which is evaluated twice a year. These targets are easily met when working smarter, not harder, and learning from past work done.

You get to work with a lot of different people with different backgrounds which makes you think differently.

If you prove your worth in the company, you will be recognised and this will lead you to greater and better responsibilities.
Pros
Free lunches on monthly meetings
Cons
Starting salary
1,0
Great company potential hindered by management
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape4 February 2020
Although the company has great potential, management do not treat staff well. You quickly find yourself doing nothing but work for this company. Working at office, working at home, your life will soon become consumed by this place.

Dare you speak up regarding your challenges, ideas or just have an opinion on the ever changing processes, you will be forced into being quiet or pushed so far that you will have no other option but to leave.

You will do well if you saying nothing about anything and you just do everything management tells you to do, no matter how unsustainable your workload already is. But be warned, you must then also be prepared to sacrifice your private time, friends, families, hobbies, sleep and health.

Management may talk a good talk at times, but in reality and in practice, only the numbers are important to them, no matter what the personal cost is to the staff.

There are many companies around. Think very carefully about how far you’re willing to give up your life and health before joining this one. Getting your life and health back takes for longer once you leave than it will take to lose it here.
“Put up or shut up”
Client Experience team member (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng24 January 2020
There are almost unlimited opportunities if you are a 'go-getter', in the Client experience if you are willing to go the extra mile. However, being a go getter almost always leaves you overworked, undervalued and underpaid for the many jobs you are expected to do. They do recognize potential in order to abuse you by running you dry up to the point when you are physically and mentally exhausted.

The culture and flexibility is EXTREMELY strenuous and NOT sustainable. Almost often long hours and very limited progression in most departments, mainly due to poor Leadership all the way to CEO.

The direction of Leadership can change at times as well as one's need to have thick skin to roll with the proverbial punches that will inevitably come. Bureaucratic and over-regulated style of Leadership, too many processes that sometimes duplicate and always contradict each other. Poor management and complete lack of planning of activities leads to terrible work and life balance. When you speak up, you are bullied into silence. The environment is a “Put-up or shut-up”.

Great company if you are willing to sacrifice your life and your mental well-being!
1,0
Working here was eye opening
Employee (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape21 December 2019
I think these points will help new employees adapt to LifeCheq:

1. Have a solid support system in the form of family, friends and a psychologist if possible - it will help maintain your sanity.

2. Have other channels of exercising your mind because you will be a robot for at least 40 hours per week.

3. Only trust your team lead or manager once they have earned your trust.

4. Think twice before moving to a different team within LifeCheq. Only switch if you are ready to forgo potential raise/promotion.

5. Keep your expectations of growth and career progress in check. If growth is important, you will soon need an exit plan.
1,0
Great place to work if it wasn't so damaging to my mental health
Employee (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape26 November 2019
The company is still young and finding their feet. While they do a few things right, majority of the time it seemed that they did not know what they were doing and were ignorant of how their actions affected others.

Typical day at work:
You absolutely must work hard and find smart ways to cope with the sheer volume of work (which is a lot) especially if you want to grow and have more responsibility. In the beginning, you will need to work overtime regularly to mitigate the learning curve but once you find a rhythm, you can somewhat cope and be proud of your work. The office space is simple and neat with a great view. The kitchen is small and frequently dirty. There are plenty food shops close-by to get lunch from. Socialising with colleagues should be done in moderation otherwise you will not complete your work.

Learning & Growth:
You can learn a lot especially if you are willing to take responsibility for your mistakes and learn to grow from them. There is an outline for how you can grow within the company, however, processes change so frequently that your growth may get stunted and your career path may become blurry. Whilst growing, there can be opposition from peers who will do anything (including degrade you) to get acknowledgement from other colleagues and upper management.

Management:
In my experience, some line managers are exceptionally hardworking and brilliant. I really learned a lot from them and I sometimes marvelled at their work. There are also managers who are extremely insecure, toxic and prideful which makes them difficult to work with. They are
  more... sometimes not transparent and can be rude, inappropriate and unprofessional at times. Sometimes management can be quite delusional by convincing themselves everything is fine even when the ship is sinking - I never understood why they did this and I never will.

Culture:
There are cliques who cling tightly to each other in a bid to climb the ranks in the company while stepping on others. People here are insecure within themselves and have a deep longing for approval so they do anything to achieve this from upper management. This is also done at the expense of others. So sad. My brain was tied up in a knot from all the office politics which shoves itself in your face even though you want no part of it. Rumours spread like wildfire and whole reputations can get dragged because of someone's jealous attempt to curry favour and sympathy. In my experience, it was definitely a dog-eat-dog world and I didn't want to play that game.

Communication:
There are multiple avenues of communication in the company, however, I've raised issues in all of them and was still not taken seriously. An HR division was introduced into the company much too late when everyone's complaints had already reached their burning peak. In my personal experience with HR, she is very professional, fair and respectful. The HR process is very long as it takes time to carry out thorough investigations into complaints to avoid a kangaroo court style of discipline. I do think having an HR division such as this could benefit newer employees if they raise issues immediately with HR instead of keeping it in.

In general, this would be a great place to work at if it wasn't so damaging to my mental health.
4,0
Young and dynamic company and emloyees who are passionate and work hard for growth of self and the company
Manager/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape10 November 2019
From a LifeCheq manager:

I have learnt expert skills and resilience. Being able to adapt to the pace of change can be challenging but rewarding. The growth and change in processes and offerings contributes to upper managment willingness to listen and improve continuously. I have seen so much positive growth in the employees who have worked hard to move up and add value to this place.

Those who do well at LifeCheq are:
Employees who keep up with their KPI's
Those who value-add/provide solutions/create new processes and material.
Those who respect others
Those who are motivated to take on more responsibility
Those who take accountability for where they are at and their work and try to improve.

I love most of the people I work with, as they embody these values. I respect my line manager and CEO as I have really been held to high standards and with this (sometimes stressful environment) I have chosen to rise to the occasion and improve the company and myself. I have grown in leaps and bounds and seen others do the same in such a short space of time. I also feel human here; when people go through a tough time they can openly chat to upper managment about the support that they might need (if they chose to do so that is). I have maybe had tough discussions about the company or my own doings but I have always been met with respect.

I do feel we can work more on work life balance across all teams by adding assistance to all teams. I feel the company is looking to address this now by employing more people for it's current growth.

Thank you LifeCheq. Thank you Team.
4,0
Fast moving, challenging, exciting
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape8 November 2019
As you would expect from a startup, there are constant challenges and expect a very high paced working environment. You can either see this as a problem or as a growth opportunity... the choice is yours. Expect to have a lot of responsibility early on.
1,0
No sense of acknowledgment for hard work done, poor salary, bad management
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape28 June 2019
The job itself was enjoyable and the lower level staff in general were great to work with, but there is a lot of mismanagement. Management and supervisors are not taken to task when they are in the wrong.

I worked really hard for this company, and they drained everything out of me, never once acknowledged my hard work but rather gave my superior credit for my work . Worst of all they did not give an increase on the pathetic salary, not even for inflation!

Most employees at the company are very unhappy as their grievances are not taken seriously at all. They pretend to be fixing the problem but nothing gets changed in the long run. Management does little to no work while passing their duties off to lower level staff.

I do not recommend working here, especially if you you want to move up the ranks. There is no space to grow within the company.
Pros
Good work culture (this is only because of the general staff, and no doing of management, founders and CEOs
Cons
long hours, poor salary. no acknowledgment of hard work
Official response from LifeCheq
15 July 2019

I am sorry that you felt this way about your experiences and I sincerely wish you had taken advantage of the many channels we have in the company to raise your concerns. Staff at LifeCheq have direct access to our founders, an anonymous feedback channel internally, an HR consultant, and a staff forum of colleagues that you can raise issues with. We've checked all those channels and these concerns were not raised there.

As you will know, all of our supervisors and most of the line managers at LifeCheq joined the company early on and have risen to senior levels through merit. There are a number of employees who started in entry level roles 2 years ago and are now in senior roles. We have a specific policy of promoting high performing candidates from within, so there is in fact plenty of scope for growth at our company.

I am sorry you feel your work was not acknowledged. I understand that working in a high performance environment can be challenging, and we are at least partially at fault for perhaps at times not communicating effectively enough how we evaluate performance. That is something we're getting better at. However, we also operate in a demanding environment and we cannot give rewards where performance is lacking. I know that having your performance being reviewed objectively can be at times hard, but I would encourage you to reflect on the feedback you would have been given.

Some aspects of what you've said, for instance about resolving grievances quicker are things we are looking at - thank you for that feedback.

I do take some exception to the comment that "management  more... does little to no work while passing off their duties to lower level staff". This is disrepectful and insensitive to people who work exceptionally hard and are brilliant at what they do. I understand that you are hurt and possibly quite disappointed, but if it is difficult for you to see that people are in their roles because of merit, then I am afraid you will struggle to learn from the reasons you career didn't advance here in the way you hoped.

I hope that as your career develops you gain the ability to raise issues more constructively with your future team and are able to engage with feedback in a more positive way. Raising issues for the first time on a public platform does little to grow your career personally and it limits the useful impact it might have otherwise had with your team.

I also hope that despite your grievances, you experienced some personal growth in your time with us.

All of us at LifeCheq wish you the very best for your career in the future.

Regards
Abu Addae
CEO

Ask a question about working or interviewing at LifeCheq. Our community is ready to answer.

2,4