Macquarie Group Limited Employee Reviews

Great environment
Cash Operations Administrator (Former Employee) –  Fortitude Valley QLD13 January 2020
Great plsce to work. Great team mates and culture.

Loved the work life balance.

Great fexibility

A lot of opportunities to grow.

Did not want to leave. Only left because of relocation due to family reasons
Excellent work environment
Senior Tax Manager, Indirect Tax for Asia Pacific (Current Employee) –  Hong Kong, HK3 January 2020
Open-minded, cooperative culture makes people easy to adapt to the company. If I am not relocated to Canada, I will stay in this company for longer time.
Pros
Good networking
Cons
Not high salary
Good culture
Executive Trade support (Current Employee) –  IFC15 December 2019
People are generally friendly and nice. structured and with corporate ladder. however generally long hours and not really rewarding to those who can really perform.
Pros
good culture
Company politics
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW12 December 2019
If you can avoid the politics, which seem everywhere and align yourself with a good and honest manager, it could be a good job. It really is who you know and not what you know.
Accounts
Contractor - Accounts (Former Employee) –  Sydney Central Business District NSW11 November 2019
Macquarie is a great place to work out.
I had a good manager and team.
Hot desking was encouraged.
Good open clean working spaces and amenities.
Great culture, monthly drinks and great for networking also there were particular event days and or fund raising which was great for staff morale.
A place to work.
Regional Head of Macquarie Funds Group Compliance (Former Employee) –  London5 November 2019
I would say that Maquarie is one of those places that suits people of a certain nature and who are driven to work in a particular way. It is certainly an environment to work in.
Caution - Stay Away
Senior Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NY25 October 2019
Working here was a nightmare. When I started I never had a starter package of what’s expected of me. 2 years down the line, and everyone that got hired on our team complained about the same thing. There was no direction. The manager for my team was not fit for this job. First of all when I started, I got paid the lowest. After hiring 11 techs after me, they all had little experience, and made more than me. want to believe my manager at the time didn’t like me. Literally everything I did was an issue. He made it an issue on whom I had lunch with. He loved to micromanage. For a while he used to secretly record a teammate of mines and myself just to validate we was doing work. I can go on and on. There was no growth on the team as well.
I rarely called out, but when I did, it was for the sake of my daughter. And that was always an issue for my manager, because he was more concerned about who would cover the tech assist desk. When anyone else called out, it wasn’t an issue. Again favoritism. Whenever we had daily catchup, he never had positive feedback. He would have daily catch ups every week to tell us everything we’re doing wrong, despite all the positive feedback we would get from actual users. He had an issue with everything someone did on the team. And this is why there’s a high turnover. In less than 6 months 3 people left and 2 other teammates are currently looking for a job.
Pros
None what so ever. The company is good, but the team and manager I worked for was horrible.
Cons
No work life balance when you work for the tech desk in New York. Micromanagement, and favoritism dictates your success.
Empresa bicultural
GUEST RELATIONS (Former Employee) –  Guest Relations23 October 2019
Es una empresa solida conformada por el mejor staff del mundo
Vampire Kangaroo
Associate Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NY9 October 2019
If you're Anglo, you're golden. The culture favors people who are Australians, Anglo ex-pats and / or from countries that were part of the British Commonwealth.

Despite its abundant "diversity and inclusion" rhetoric, Macquarie is homogeneous and exclusive. And, although most of its business/profit comes from outside Australia, Sydney has inordinate influence.
Better office than JP Morgan / AD level management not technical
Analyst - Corporate Operation Group (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX19 September 2019
My situation may not be typical. My manager was rather horrendous and had quite the reputation on the entire floor.

Beyond that however, there was a noticeable lack of senior developer leadership.

The office space if nicer than JP Morgan, but the talent level is more shallow and the environment is more toxic and higher stress.
Pros
Left over lunches if traders dont eat them
Cons
Lack of strong senior developers
2,0
short term thinking / not committed
Equity Trader (Current Employee) –  New York, NY16 September 2019
great place if you work in Australia for a currently successful department. Otherwise they flip/flop too much. Clients don't trust them. Will never make it in the US.
Good Summer internship
Summer Investment Banking Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX24 August 2019
The team was welcoming and thoughtful about giving me high impact projects that took a lot of research and helped me develop and learn skills related to the oil and gas industry.
open environment
DevOps / Operations Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX18 August 2019
fast paced work environment but you are expected to take initiative and own your career and make most of the career enhancement opportunities available
4,0
Productive and fun working place
Data Engineer (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW1 August 2019
One of the best places I have worked at -
Excellent Business Continuity management
Tremendous scope for learning
Flexi workplace culture
Emphasis on individual ownership
3,0
Productive and fun workplace but the hours are long
Technical Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London23 July 2019
Lovely modern premises near to Moorgate full of friendly, driven, people who work really hard. Macquarie is very much a Syndey based and run company and staff in London can expect to work long hours to keep in touch with people on the other side of the world.
Very good company
Technical Lead (Current Employee) –  AU20 June 2019
Very good company to work with.
Great Work culture and amazing people
Lots of learning and innovation.
Lot of Learning and development activities to improve skills
1,0
Unclear business and hiring strategy. Confusing culture
Director (Current Employee) –  Singapore29 May 2019
Unclear business and hiring strategy.
Inexperienced seniors.
Office politics, passive aggressive culture. Not meritocracy.
Local (Australia) culture. no room for diversity
Work place only
Senior Network Engineer (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  New York, NY27 May 2019
A typical day at work involved production support in solving production problems, but when the problem got fixed, it was fun, and engineering design, and implementation new network service request.
4,0
Good work life balance and a great place to learn
Dispute Officer (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW10 May 2019
I would typically start my day with cases assigned to me which would include (Processing disputes and charge-backs in Visa and Processing Pre-arbs, re-presentment in MasterCard), Monitor real time queues and identify high risk transactions, Identify fraudulent transactions and cancel them from further processing. I have learnt to resolve disputes in favour of the customer and the institution through the biggest network operators VISA and MasterCard. There is great work life balance and also good flexibility of timings at work. I really like challenges and it helps me grow to the next level, i manage a difficult situation at work. I really enjoy the games that we have indoors like table tennis and chess. It helps us have a good break during the day and keeps our mind and body fresh.
Pros
Indoor Games, Free lunches, coffee, fruits, snacks, gym, free use of swimming pool
Cons
Growth
4,0
Great culture, super formal, but fun.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NY29 March 2019
Very busy, fast paced, most people are nice and friendly, though environment is super formal, as it should be in finance, there are still lots of perks and small fun events. Great culture.
I enjoyed working with my team of bankers as well as with other administrative professionals, but the executive was really mean (I guess you can afford to be this way as long as you bring lot's of money to the company). Other than this - it's amazing place to work for, compensation is good too.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Macquarie Group Limited. Our community is ready to answer.

3,9