Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Employee Reviews

Stressful, competitive and productive
Clerical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Uitenhage Traffic Department21 November 2019
I am working 5 days a week, with members of a public who visits the traffic court on a daily basis, doing enquirers and processing. its a difficult day on its own because you deal with different characters. I have learned patience, listening skills and attention to detail. of all i enjoy the interaction between customers and me.
5,0
It was an internship for a year and extended by six month.
Corporate Service HR (Former Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape7 November 2019
I am a well rounded person who always meet the deadlines. I like to work in a dynamic environment with talented professional people with a desire for excellent and fulfilment.
5,0
working experience in other departments needed
Senior Administration Clerk (Current Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape5 November 2019
Im working in the Budget and Treasury department . i started in the Rates clearance section in 2008. i have been applying for other positions in other departments for growth reasons but not successful.
4,0
The organisation is a very much needed workplace experience because of the nature of its kind
Supervisor/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape2 November 2019
Just that when working on the field there is no security and safelty ...you are juat relying on your God to keep you safe there is no follow up but it is better because we qork in areas where we leave grew up at so at least it works to advantage if you are well known.
5,0
It is a fun and workplace
street sweeper (Former Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape13 March 2019
I worked at Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality from October 2015 to June 2016. It was temporal job. I was working 8 hours a day but sometimes we were working overtime. I was working from 06:00 to 02:00

I was working as a street sweeper and I was picking up papers from the street. I was enjoying the job because we were working in groups and it is always nice to work as a team.

In December we were working over time because its festive season. The job was challenging because were cleaning the beaches in summerstrand and its always dirty because people are throwing bottles on the street and leave them there.

We would go home at 22:00 and get back to work at 04:00 in the morning so that when the people get to the beach on the beach on the following the place would be clean. The tea break was 15 minutes from 09:00 to 09:15 and lunch time was 30 minutes 12:00 to 12:00.
Cons
8 hour
5,0
SKILLS DEVELOPMENT FACILITATOR (Former Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape7 February 2019
The HR division was always busy . In HRD we process training requests and coordinate training events daily. I opened my electronic/ desktop planner/ task list. I will then set priorities based on importance or deadline per task. I always prioritised the instructions by my supervisor and policy/ compliance matters.

How I learn was when I allow colleague to share experiences and how they handle task/ duties to learn and share my experience to improve work performance.

Managing a team: I gave my team freedom to work with minimum supervision and expect team to make mistakes which should not be repeated. I drove and motivated team to be the best performers in the organization at all times.

I created conducive workplace culture in all my works spaces and interaction with people. I coached and mentored subordinates, I respected and cooperatived fully with authority. There is harmony in my division however we always find ways to resolve all the differences to ensure interpersonal relations and employee wellness at all times.

Hardest part was when clients’ needs that should be solved speedily and fairly. HR was the resource centre for employees and employees demand and high level of tolerance and professionalism therefore I must always be at the right state of mind and provide effective and efficient service. I had successfully provided the HR services in the last 15 years.

Most enjoyable part was when I meeting clients and learning from clients and successfully provide the required services without delay. It was also when I receive positive feedback and compliments
  more... from my peers, principals and clients.  less
Pros
clarity of purpose, following the procedures at all times
Cons
Bearocracy, red tap
5,0
Local Government delivering services to the public residents, building houses to indigent families, offer bursaries to committed focused students,
Special Projects Accountant (Current Employee) –  Port Elizabeth5 February 2019
This is an institution that is governed by National, Privincial & Local Governments spehers.

It has evolved in a number of years by recruiting people from various demographic groups, locals & foreigners.

Women & disabled people are encouraged to apply & have been appointed in Management positions
Pros
Housing Subsidies Medical Aid, Unemployment Insurance Fund, Bonuses, Performance Awards, Sick Leave, Maternity leave, Vacation Leave
Cons
Working overtime with no recognition or compensating, No recognition for educated employees, Lack chance of progress & growth to higher positions
Interesting and passionate
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape18 January 2019
I was working at legal services department on Contract Management section.
I have learned a lot about drafting of a contract, lease agreement as well as transfer of property.
i was also placed at litigation and claims department which was so interesting and challenging. I enjoyed consultations with legal experts , stakeholders as well as municipality clients.
I further worked at corporate governance where we were dealing with by laws, advising and providing municipal council with opinions on legal related matters and doing outreach for public participation
Satisfactory working environment
Senior Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Port Elizabeth and surrounding areas24 August 2018
A typical day at work started at 7h30 with review of days task assignments, gathering the support staff and equipment and heading out to site. Would occasionally have meetings to attend within the department, and at various committees.I learned a lot about public interaction and service delivery, interaction with various stakeholders, managing projects from start to completion. Administration also formed a substantial part of responsibilities. The culture in the work place was good and encouraged interaction with various levels of colleagues and external customers. Most enjoyable part of the job was watching a project grow from conceptual and planning phase to the complete product, gave great personal satisfaction
Pros
Wide exposure
Cons
red tape and internal politics
4,0
Professional Environment. Open door policy to management. Being part of a lager whole that serves the public
The Nelson Mandela Metro Municipality specifically the Drawing Office where I am employed is a very professional Environment. We cater to the daily needs of our Electrical Engineers as well as outside customers with electrical information in various formats. The management favor an open door policy whereby all staff are encouraged to have a say in what works and does not.
The hardest part of the job would be all the red tape that exists in government department .Staff shortages are also common place.
The most enjoyable part is being part of a service that the public deems a necessity.
Very productive workplace
Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape9 June 2018
I loved working for Worker's Unlimited. Best Management skills and ethics. Worker's Unlimted had the best employers, made everything easy and simple and very caring
Cons
Long hours amd we were situated in a area which is well known business robberies
2,0
Was not challanging working here
She Officer (Former Employee) –  Eastern Cape19 July 2017
Working in the municipality there were no challenges to stimulate my brain due to the team leader that was new to the industry with no experience at all about Safety
Pros
Sometimes will get half days
Cons
worked normal hours
Lively and political atmosphere
Administration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Uitenhage, Eastern Cape29 June 2017
Work life is superb except interference of politicians in administrative issues and appointments. The skills audit will help in identifying job suitable for people as currently people are in jobs not matching their qualifications which results in frustration.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Job ceilings
Fun and co-operative
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape5 May 2017
working with the municipality is good cause you apply your skills into the community and it makes it fun,the hardest part of the job is too deal with situations in a short time in order to save that persons life
Pros
swim free and have fun
Cons
extra hours
4,0
productive and friendly working evvironment
Data Capturer (Former Employee) –  Eastern cape Port Elizabeth1 March 2017
I have learned plenty and it was challenging. My fellow workers was very friendly and i adapt easy to the environment. I made new friends and we shared lot of ideas on how to make the job easier. I worked with different cultures and it was fun because we worked as a team. I always give my best and assisted where help was needed.
Pros
normal lunch times
Cons
average hours
5,0
working for the municipality gace me a sense of social upliftment and responsibility, it also provides me with the necessary skills within a reasonabl
Graduate Trainee (Former Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape16 February 2017
Working for the municipality gave me a great sense of social upliftment and responsibility, it also provides me with the necessary skills within a reasonable amount of time.
Pros
extra training
Cons
must be pro- active
fun
Legal Advisor (Former Employee) –  Eastern Cape31 January 2017
Legal Advosor
contracts management
SLA drafting
Report Writing
Negotiation and finalizing contracts
briefing of Counsel
Pros
normal
Cons
normal working hours
5,0
Exceptional learning experience,vast and flexible field work
Environmental Health Officer (Former Employee) –  Uitenhage, Eastern Cape15 January 2017
The Municipality provided the opportunity to learn and broaden my area of expertise.
My scope of practise was dealt with, I learned about proffessional ethics on a more practical manner.
My theory correlated with the practical work.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Work morale
fun workplace and productive
Graduate Trainee (Current Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape2 December 2016
The work environment its a fun place to work at. My seniors are very flexible and there are always there to provide help when it is needed. I have learnt to work under pressure and working as a team. The most difficult part of the job is dealing with customers who are rude and sometimes use vulgar language.
Pros
flexible lunch time
Law Enforcement Officer
Law Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Eastern Cape14 November 2016
Since 2015 February I started as a treianee law enforcement officer at the NMBM. After several months of hardwork, the head of department recommended that we be included in the group that was going to be trained in that period.

We graduated during August 2015 and continued with our good work in the municipality.
Pros
Cons
Reasonable