Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Employee Reviews in Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape

5,0
SKILLS DEVELOPMENT FACILITATOR (Former Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape7 February 2019
The HR division was always busy . In HRD we process training requests and coordinate training events daily. I opened my electronic/ desktop planner/ task list. I will then set priorities based on importance or deadline per task. I always prioritised the instructions by my supervisor and policy/ compliance matters.

How I learn was when I allow colleague to share experiences and how they handle task/ duties to learn and share my experience to improve work performance.

Managing a team: I gave my team freedom to work with minimum supervision and expect team to make mistakes which should not be repeated. I drove and motivated team to be the best performers in the organization at all times.

I created conducive workplace culture in all my works spaces and interaction with people. I coached and mentored subordinates, I respected and cooperatived fully with authority. There is harmony in my division however we always find ways to resolve all the differences to ensure interpersonal relations and employee wellness at all times.

Hardest part was when clients’ needs that should be solved speedily and fairly. HR was the resource centre for employees and employees demand and high level of tolerance and professionalism therefore I must always be at the right state of mind and provide effective and efficient service. I had successfully provided the HR services in the last 15 years.

Most enjoyable part was when I meeting clients and learning from clients and successfully provide the required services without delay. It was also when I receive positive feedback and compliments
  more... from my peers, principals and clients.  less
Pros
clarity of purpose, following the procedures at all times
Cons
Bearocracy, red tap
5,0
Local Government delivering services to the public residents, building houses to indigent families, offer bursaries to committed focused students,
Special Projects Accountant (Current Employee) –  Port Elizabeth5 February 2019
This is an institution that is governed by National, Privincial & Local Governments spehers.

It has evolved in a number of years by recruiting people from various demographic groups, locals & foreigners.

Women & disabled people are encouraged to apply & have been appointed in Management positions
Pros
Housing Subsidies Medical Aid, Unemployment Insurance Fund, Bonuses, Performance Awards, Sick Leave, Maternity leave, Vacation Leave
Cons
Working overtime with no recognition or compensating, No recognition for educated employees, Lack chance of progress & growth to higher positions
Interesting and passionate
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape18 January 2019
I was working at legal services department on Contract Management section.
I have learned a lot about drafting of a contract, lease agreement as well as transfer of property.
i was also placed at litigation and claims department which was so interesting and challenging. I enjoyed consultations with legal experts , stakeholders as well as municipality clients.
I further worked at corporate governance where we were dealing with by laws, advising and providing municipal council with opinions on legal related matters and doing outreach for public participation
Satisfactory working environment
Senior Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Port Elizabeth and surrounding areas24 August 2018
A typical day at work started at 7h30 with review of days task assignments, gathering the support staff and equipment and heading out to site. Would occasionally have meetings to attend within the department, and at various committees.I learned a lot about public interaction and service delivery, interaction with various stakeholders, managing projects from start to completion. Administration also formed a substantial part of responsibilities. The culture in the work place was good and encouraged interaction with various levels of colleagues and external customers. Most enjoyable part of the job was watching a project grow from conceptual and planning phase to the complete product, gave great personal satisfaction
Pros
Wide exposure
Cons
red tape and internal politics
4,0
Professional Environment. Open door policy to management. Being part of a lager whole that serves the public
Principal CAD/GIS Electrification Draughtperson (Current Employee) –  Port Elizabeth , South Africa13 July 2018
The Nelson Mandela Metro Municipality specifically the Drawing Office where I am employed is a very professional Environment. We cater to the daily needs of our Electrical Engineers as well as outside customers with electrical information in various formats. The management favor an open door policy whereby all staff are encouraged to have a say in what works and does not.
The hardest part of the job would be all the red tape that exists in government department .Staff shortages are also common place.
The most enjoyable part is being part of a service that the public deems a necessity.
Very productive workplace
Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape9 June 2018
I loved working for Worker's Unlimited. Best Management skills and ethics. Worker's Unlimted had the best employers, made everything easy and simple and very caring
Cons
Long hours amd we were situated in a area which is well known business robberies
Fun and co-operative
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape5 May 2017
working with the municipality is good cause you apply your skills into the community and it makes it fun,the hardest part of the job is too deal with situations in a short time in order to save that persons life
Pros
swim free and have fun
Cons
extra hours
4,0
productive and friendly working evvironment
Data Capturer (Former Employee) –  Eastern cape Port Elizabeth1 March 2017
I have learned plenty and it was challenging. My fellow workers was very friendly and i adapt easy to the environment. I made new friends and we shared lot of ideas on how to make the job easier. I worked with different cultures and it was fun because we worked as a team. I always give my best and assisted where help was needed.
Pros
normal lunch times
Cons
average hours
5,0
working for the municipality gace me a sense of social upliftment and responsibility, it also provides me with the necessary skills within a reasonabl
Graduate Trainee (Former Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape16 February 2017
Working for the municipality gave me a great sense of social upliftment and responsibility, it also provides me with the necessary skills within a reasonable amount of time.
Pros
extra training
Cons
must be pro- active
fun workplace and productive
Graduate Trainee (Current Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape2 December 2016
The work environment its a fun place to work at. My seniors are very flexible and there are always there to provide help when it is needed. I have learnt to work under pressure and working as a team. The most difficult part of the job is dealing with customers who are rude and sometimes use vulgar language.
Pros
flexible lunch time
Productive and Fun workplace
general worker (Former Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape20 August 2016
I Learnt a lot on working with other people and working under pressure but having to work more than 15 hours making sure the festival everything according to plan was also part of my job description but I enjoyed the experience,being on time it made us strategise and plan on where and how we going to work and prepare for the festival and having to meet new people.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Long Hours
Fun work place
Leave Administrator (Former Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape16 August 2016
We would start working from 07:30-16:00 Monday to Friday. The first thing would be checking emails and start working, and sometimes make phone calls to custodians.
We were a group of 10 employees. I learnt working in a group and to be able to finish the job within a set time frame. Everyday we had to do a specific job to a certain custodian e.g Budget and Treasury or Electricity and Energy Department. We had to give a report to the supervisor at the end of each week. The most enjoyable part was to be helped by other colleagues and to also help them and at the beginning it was easy to apply the skills we were given at the training.
Pros
We had two 15 minutes tea times and one 30 minutes Lunch time wich enabled us to get enough rest
Cons
Too much paper work
Student induction coordinator
Intern (Former Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape3 May 2016
Preparing for next induction programs and also arranging Bay stars roadshow. Dealing with the suppliers. How to place orders, how to manage supplier communication, and events coordinating. Management was great, meeting conducted in proper manner, out come of the events were met. Had the best team ever, used to call our team as dream team. I would go back any day. Dead lines and the accounting officer i would struggle for him to approve the budget for orders that we need. To see the final product coming together.
Pros
close to home
Cons
Student salary
4,0
productive and fun to work at.
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, EC23 January 2016
Typical day at work would have been typing letters, preparing presentations, photocopying and emailing.

Most of the time it was printing documents and binding them for presentations that I prepared which meant when the time came for the actual presentation, I had to handout those document to high profile personnel from municipality in boardrooms. This helped me to be more professional.
Pros
productive
Cons
lots of free time in between working time
Productive and Challenging
Graduate Intern (Former Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, EC10 October 2015
I was afforded the opportunity to complete my internship with the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality, an opportunity I am eternally grateful for. I was placed with Human Settlements Department, under the Social Development & Education Administration sub-directorate. This Directorate mainly dealt with Social Housing provision and issues around it. I got the opportunity to rotate within the three sections, mainly 'Informal Housing' where we dealt mainly with relocations within the Metro, 'Community Development Facilitation' dealt with educating the community about the Councils Housing Policy, empowering them through various workshops and introducing any new development plans provided by various Services Providers, and lastly 'Land Invasions' dealt with monitoring illegal land invasions within the Metro. Extensive travelling within the Metro was at the core of the job function. The downside would have to be dealing with angry and very demanding communities who wanted things to happen overnight and failed to grasp that the are due processes put into place and that sustainable development takes time. Management was lovely, exposed me to all the sections within the department, i learned so much. My co-workers were just as lovely, some took advantage of my intern role...lol, but i did not mind because in the process i was learning to, so it was a fair trade, expect for when they required me to do things outside of the work environment...i was not pleased at all.
Pros
Travelling, meeting new people
Cons
Long hours, angry community members
Job Satisfaction and Organisational Climate
Senior Clerk (Former Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, EC18 May 2015
A typical day was filled with hard work and goal driven. It has taught how to relate with people in general,colleagues and the public.
The management was impeccable, they set our goals we had to meet and wet had met them. They made it easy for us to work like a team, always being there to assist if a problem manifested itself.
The hardest part has to be in dealing with a stubborn customer, but with that I came to learn that the customer is always right.
I enjoyed dealing with the public and I never struggled with dealing with the delegated work.
Pros
Supervisor gave us longer lunches
Cons
Its dealing with difficult customers
3,0
Hard worker and results driven
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, EC3 January 2015
I check my diary for appointments and meetings
Tasks to be done
Phone calls to be made
Respond to emails and make follow-ups on pending issues
The hardest part is organize an event at a short notice and lack of cooperation from colleagues
The most enjoyable part is when a project or research comes together nicely
Pros
Cons
Prepare to travel and work long hours
4,0
To be able to practise and work in a field you have studied
Account Assistant : (Former Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, EC7 September 2014
As a cashier supervisor , I have learn to attend things in to detail
Email communication with your staff
up plan
Seek for advice
Be able to think analatyical
using your own discretion in cases
to act Firm at all time
Level of professionalism must high

Communication to your co workers to make a statement understandable to them.

The hardest part of my job is where I should write disciplinary report for negligence on the cashier side .

Most enjoyable part is solving a problem and to finish the work on time and efficiently
Pros
Team Building
Cons
System errors
4,0
summary of work place duties
lab technician (Former Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, EC31 August 2014
I was working for Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Scientific Service Division. I worked as a laboratory analyst (intern). I was working under the supervision of senior lab technicians. my daily duties were to help the senior technician to filter water samples (drinking water, river, effluents, reservoirs, beaches, swimming pools etc). read plates for (Faecal and Total Coliforms, E. coli ,Total Plate Count) , record results,preparation and pouring of media, E. coli confirmatory (API)
Pros
na
Cons
na
4,0
job summary and work relations
COSTING CLERK (Current Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, EC13 June 2014
I work maily with costing of job cards pertaining to accidents,repair and maintanance,ordering stationery and issuing,reception relief duties,contacting suppliers for quotations relating to furniture etc,doing filing and payments of services rendered.I have direct supervisor with whom we have open door policy at all times but is strict when comes to meeting deadlines,my colleagues are diverse individuals with diverse cultures but we have normal working relations with differences but always resovle them peacefully as we share an open office.I dont realy find any difficulty in my job but only when there is funds crisis that needs to be allocated as my job is very demanding and my desk always full.I get to work and meet different people everyday,being irrate or friendly and been able to solve query relating to my job is good feeling.
Pros
job security
Cons
not challenging enough