Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Employee Review

View all Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality reviews

The fact that the NMBM is runned by politicians with different political views makes it difficult for smooth running of service delivery
Senior Community Development Facilitator (Housing) (Current Employee) –  Uitenhage/Dispatch./Port Elizabeth30 May 2013
I work in a conducive enviroment with lot of challenges which are manageable.I have to make sure the Housing Consumer Education is received by all communities in the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality,and also the challenges experienced by these communities are being addressed by the relevant government departments.I have to make sure that the policies and the bylaws are explained correctly and are being understood by the consumers.Being in the line management has taught me a lot dealing with different staff members with different behaviours.I always make sure that I mantain good work ethics wherever I go to give good reflection about the Municipality,and always be accountable.

The hardest side of the work that I am doing is when you i come across with needy beneficiary and his/her needs are out of my scope of work and the person that Iam reffering this beneficiary to is unable to assist due to carelessness and bad work ethics.

The most enjoyable part of my job is when I see that many people are positively benefiting from the program that I am offering,and it is serving the purpose of being an eye opener to the disadvantaged people,they understand the policies,their rights,the Municipal bylaws,they receive what is due to them.
Pros
Car allowance

Other Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Employee Reviews

It is a fun and workplace
street sweeper (Former Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape13 March 2019
I worked at Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality from October 2015 to June 2016. It was temporal job. I was working 8 hours a day but sometimes we were working overtime. I was working from 06:00 to 02:00

I was working as a street sweeper and I was picking up papers from the street. I was enjoying the job because we were working in groups and it is always nice to work as a team.

In December we were working over time because its festive season. The job was challenging because were cleaning the beaches in summerstrand and its always dirty because people are throwing bottles on the street and leave them there.

We would go home at 22:00 and get back to work at 04:00 in the morning so that when the people get to the beach on the beach on the following the place would be clean. The tea break was 15 minutes from 09:00 to 09:15 and lunch time was 30 minutes 12:00 to 12:00.
Cons
8 hour
SKILLS DEVELOPMENT FACILITATOR (Former Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape7 February 2019
The HR division was always busy . In HRD we process training requests and coordinate training events daily. I opened my electronic/ desktop planner/ task list. I will then set priorities based on importance or deadline per task. I always prioritised the instructions by my supervisor and policy/ compliance matters.

How I learn was when I allow colleague to share experiences and how they handle task/ duties to learn and share my experience to improve work performance.

Managing a team: I gave my team freedom to work with minimum supervision and expect team to make mistakes which should not be repeated. I drove and motivated team to be the best performers in the organization at all times.

I created conducive workplace culture in all my works spaces and interaction with people. I coached and mentored subordinates, I respected and cooperatived fully with authority. There is harmony in my division however we always find ways to resolve all the differences to ensure interpersonal relations and employee wellness at all times.

Hardest part was when clients’ needs that should be solved speedily and fairly. HR was the resource centre for employees and employees demand and high level of tolerance and professionalism therefore I must always be at the right state of mind and provide effective and efficient service. I had successfully provided the HR services in the last 15 years.

Most enjoyable part was when I meeting clients and learning from clients and successfully provide the required services without delay. It was also when I receive positive feedback and compliments
  more... from my peers, principals and clients.  less
Pros
clarity of purpose, following the procedures at all times
Cons
Bearocracy, red tap