Old Mutual Life Assurance Company

Old Mutual Life Assurance Company Employee Reviews in Johannesburg, Gauteng

Found 86 reviews matching the search See all 1 400 reviews
Room for creativity
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, GP27 August 2014
Great company to work for if one follows a Financial Planning career.
Allows one to gain and polish customer relationship skills.
Allows self management.
The hardest part of the job is one cannot afford to take long leave (eg 30days) because of its pay structure which is a commission based one.
This job allows one to study and uplift yourself academically because there is potential for lots of time availability.
Pros
Plenty of benefits
Cons
Remuneration structure does not benefit one during time of sickness or leave.
Fun and disciplined environment
QA Specialist (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, GP26 August 2014
My typical day:

- Reports
- Listen and retrieve calls
- System testing
- Collaborate with Managers and Team leaders
- Coaching of staff members
- Assisting with quality and system related queries.
-Conduct adhoc audits.

I have learned how to deal with different types of people, and how to manage my time.

The hardest part of my job is to ensure that all tasks are completed.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the transfer of knowledge that I have gained through working with different caliber of people.

My management is highly supportive and my co-workers are hard working.
Pros
The fun work environment
job culture
financial advisor (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, GP12 August 2014
i have learned not to give up in life and not to be discouraged
to communicate well and in a respectfull manner
Pros
flexeble working hours
Cons
always on the road
4,0
A good company to work for
Key Accounts Manager (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, GP6 May 2014
Old Mutual was forcing us to sell only Old Mutual products despite clients looking for something different and that was a source of my frustration with the company.
Pros
A well known company
Cons
Old generation products will always be problematic on this dynamic industry
Productive and fun.
financial consultant (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, GP15 April 2014
Working for old mutual was a privilege. I learnd lot of things and I have learned how to work with different people and how to treat my customers.

my co -worker we worked well as a team and do all the team task.

the hardest part of my job was not getting business daily. its hard if you dont get any client.

the most enjoyable part is when we all reach or achieve our target as well as branch target.
Pros
team building
3,0
stressful workplace but fun
financial advisor (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, GP26 March 2014
you never had time to be at work, as long as you do submit your weekly business. You have to persevere and care for the clients. The management was somehow divided into groups, my manager was supportive in every aspect. She was not only a manager but a leader.
What a team of a group we had, we were always supportive of each other and helpful of one another.
The hardest part is closing a difficult deal, you have to have patient because it is difficult to crack a nut, but if you have a tool and technique then you would achieve.
I enjoyed workshops and trainings and travelling to long distances to get clients. The year end functions
Pros
team lunches every fraidays
4,0
Fun and productive place to work
Broker Consultant (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, GP19 March 2014
I was always on the road thus time management was key. working with 15 people with different personality required a lot of patience from me.
In a team of 6 consultant team work is essential, we worked hard everyday sharing ideas of what works in the field.
5,0
productive and fun place to work for
financial advisor (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, GP5 February 2014
This is a very good company to work for it enquires you to build your own practice within the group of Old Mutual as a financial advisor and offer alot of learning projects to better ones skills and knowledge within the industry , love working with management offer a ope door policy for personal or business matters , my hardest part was getting used to cold calling and leads sourcing to create sales but in the end i loved it and still do. most enjoyable ia meeting new people and learning new skills dailly
Pros
meeting alot of new people in different levels
Cons
commission claw backs
5,0
Excellent job for client.
ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, GP17 January 2014
IN the morning will come in start arranging client file and scanning them, then later will start with typing document that need to be typed, then fax document that need to be faxed.

while I was working in old mutual I learned that good communication with your co worker or client brings good reputation to the company.

my co workers made me feel welcomed at work because there were there for me when I needed them.

the hardest part of my job was scanning the document of client.

I enjoyed arranging the file and typing document and answering the phone
Pros
Curry rice and stew beef and if you do not eat beef then chicken
Cons
9Am to 7pm
Productive and Pressurised
Sales Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, GP10 January 2014
The job was very varied and pressurised which I really enjoy. I learnt to acknolwedge the difference in cultures and got along with all staff and management.

At Old Mutual change was happening all the time so it was a permanent learning curve.
Pros
Changing and learning enviroment
5,0
The company is excellent when it comes to customer service
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, GP2 December 2013
I had a client that missed 2 premiums and Her Mother passed away. She called me crying like a baby and I had to cancel the appointments for the day and attend Her. I took her personally to our offices with her documents. When She was told that the money will be available in 48 hours in her account She couldn't believe, She was very happy and I got many clients from Her family because of the service we provided. I have learned that dealing with clients direct will always hold you accountable for the promises you give them. Management assisted to the client and co-operated that a client felt so special. the hardest part it was to deal with her emotions (crying during the process). What I enjoyed most is that She has little faith in Us and that we received more business from Her family and co-workers
5,0
Good
Senior HR Consultant (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, GP11 July 2013
Enjoyed all aspects.

Had a great Team.

Serviced Old Mutual Bank Branches

Reported to Cape Town whilst in Johannesburg
Sales assistance (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg10 May 2013
Canvassing for new clients
Hard work always pays off
Lots of interaction with management
Helpfull and fun co-workers
People being negative is the hardest part
Positive reactions is the most enjoyable part
2,0
Productivity
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg8 May 2013
We start up the day with a short morning meeting to reflect on whet has happened the previous day (Both good and Bad) We then plan for the day ahed with the team.

The management style and structure is ok, and I learn a lot from my team and my peers on a daily basis. Due to the fact that we share our experiences, then we get to try diffrent techniques that gives us a chance to properly develop a strategy that works for us.

The hardest thing that I had to do was to dismiss a person due to non-performance.

Being able to meet our targets and most importantley seeing my team members (consultants) grow and climb the cooporate ladder (also stepping into management roles)

Cons
Personal life suffers as the office is too far, I travell avaragley over 80km from home to work
2,0
Diverse
Administrator(Intern) (Current Employee) –  Sandton, Johannesburg, Gauteng26 April 2013
Its a relaxed environment, no pressure at all. I have learned to be more decisive and go after what I want. My colleagues are very good people. The hardest thing abot the job is trying to fit in with team itself. What I enjoy about the place is willingness to grow attitude you receive.
Pros
offers additional learning
Cons
no clear demarcation of authority
4,0
Practice Customer first and employee recognition
Fund Administrator (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Sandton17 April 2013
My jobs is exciting as its more of customer serice and I really enjoy working with people.My ability to resolve what could be the hardest or difficult situation and I have a very good attitude at work and knowing what I get paid for.
Pros
sites visits to clients
Cons
being patient with end members
4,0
productive and fun working enviroment
Financial Adviser (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Newtown7 April 2013
Is just like any other job with it's challenges. Were i must go out and look for clients to take policies. It is a very interesting job because i get to meet with different people everyday and learn more about human behaviour, when it comes to management it's not that bad at all because everyone is doing their job. It's not easy convincing people to buy products we offer because of the worlds recession, so it can get a bit challenging at times in this industry.
Pros
having to meet different people everyday, it's what i love about this job.
Cons
the increase in day to day living expenses, it's extremley challenging in this industry.
5,0
Good training from the company.
Broker (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg18 March 2013
Independent Broker Sales and Marketing of Assurance, Insurance, Estate Planning, Retirement Planning,Investment Planning, Key- Man Assurance, Buy and sell Agreements. Management of own practice and processing claims.
Networking
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Sandton, Johannesburg, Gauteng22 February 2013
The part I enjoy the most about working in Old Mutual is meeting new people, I get to meet at least two people everyday from different ethnical groups, cultures, industries and beliefs. This has allowed me to learn a lot on how individuals differ and also how to interact with people better. I have been able to build a solid network of professionals around me whom I respect dearly and who appreciate my advise as a Financial Advisor.
Pros
great teamwork
Cons
cold calling
4,0
Productive, exciting, challenging work space
Sales manager (Current Employee) –  Sandton, Johannesburg19 February 2013
Emails take a lot of my time, but they are an effective way of communication. As a sales manager I look after a team of 11, looking to increase it to 17. I also do financial planning for clients in the higher income / net worth space. We have a good management team and our co-workers are multi-cultural and very pleasant. The hardest part of my job is time management and prioritising my work. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with clients and my team and applying my knowledge to financial planning.
Pros
flexibility of time and working for a company with a solid brand
Cons
too much paperwork and admin.