Pangea Outsourcing Services Employee Reviews

Great colleagues and clients
Teacher/Educator (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape3 January 2020
Good to learn how to teach English online to foreign nationals, the problem was when there were technical problems, the teacher got penalized for these while the problem was not his. The salary rate is awfully low, you end up having to do more classes (double shifts) just to keep up with the cost of living.
The enjoyable part was meeting new students online and being able to help them with their English conversation.
Great Working Hours
Online Teacher (Current Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape5 September 2019
Pangea offers great opportunities to people who are looking for entry positions or graduates who want to gain work experience. My favourite part of the job was meeting new people from across the world. You get to meet with the quality assurance department who tells you what you are doing right and what you need to improve on, which means you get an opportunity to work on your weak points.
Pros
Set your own working hours, Gain Working experience, Fun/helpful Colleagues
Cons
No advancement opportunities
Unfair incentives
Online English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape15 April 2019
I have been working at Pangea on weekends full time and pick up shifts when available during the week.My scored are above 4.85 most of the time.Pangea has an incentive system to pay $50 to all teachers with an avaerage of 4.85 provided they teach a cerain number of hrs and they dont have any issues like complains, Teacher Lates and TSPs. I find it disturbing that I never got that award and I put my all in what I do. I know its sounds petty but its happening to many as well. Whats more strange is you see certain teachers whose names are always on the winners list but they scores might even be lower or equal to yours without any teacher lates or even other funny excuses they give for not rewarding you.

With a ridiculous pay structure I think the least they can do is to be fair interms of they incentive system
Pros
Opportunity to get a job easily due to high turnover🤷🏻‍♀️
Cons
I can spend the whole day typing but its a pathetic company
3 May 2019

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback. Well done on achieving high scores. Keep up the great work.

You are referring to the Top Performer award system that rewards the Top 20 high scoring teachers every month. Having an average score above 4.85 is but one of the criteria, you also need to have no penalties incurred in the month and have a clean disciplinary record. If you did not get a reward, then you did not meet all of the criteria.

Flexible work environment
English Teacher (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape10 February 2019
The work hours are flexible and you are able to give away a shift when you want to rest. The salary is however not satisfying. The management is quite strict and time keeping is very important.
11 March 2019

Hi,

Thank you for the valuable feedback. We need to ensure that classes are always taught on time. Therefore the managers are strict with regards to timekeeping.

3,0
Hectic work hours for basic salary
Online ESL teacher, recruiter and trainer (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape22 October 2018
Pangea is a great place to get experience for fresh graduates and as a part-time job for those wishing to earn an extra income. The hours and salary structure has been designed in that way, they have no problem being a stepping stone, however the hourly rate could be increased as the workload is extensive and requires skill.
Pros
TEFL course
Cons
Salary
25 October 2018

Hi

Thank you for your review, we really appreciate it. At Pangea, we understand the challenges that graduates face when securing their first job. The corporate world is looking for experienced employees. However, at Pangea, we offer the opportunity to gain experience so that you become attractive to future employees.

1,0
Rude and oppresive management with very little pay and long hours plus many deductions..
Past teacher (Former Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape7 June 2018
Most employees not treated with the respect a working adult usually gets.No apparent labour relations.Salary is way too little.Rude extremely unprofessional management staff.Great friendly students being the only plus of the job as well as meeting fellow friendly teachers.High turn over of teaching staff due too poor salary;no benefits and rude management.
Pros
None.
Cons
Management and a very restricting contract.

Good day,

Thank you for taking time to share your review, we really appreciate your invaluable feedback. Please accept our sincere apologies that you were not treated with respect. I can assure you that this is not the working environment we want for our employees. Be assured that this will be addressed with the rest of the team.

Pangea tries to ensure that the working environment is positive through constant feedback from our teachers. The centre coach acts as the conduit between the teachers and management and this provides a platform for teachers to air out their concerns.

Foot in the door
ONLINE TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape19 April 2018
It was a good foot in the door to start my career in online teaching. Invaluable.
Alas, prospects and remuneration were poor, with long hours, no benefits.
Management were unfriendly and unhelpful. Often under or short paid for time and hours worked. Expect to work much overtime. Pay extremely low and neither market related..
Pros
A foot in the door. Good start will gain valuable experience.
Cons
long, unrewareded hours.

Good day,

I am glad that Pangea gave you a headstart in the teaching industry since you gained relevant teaching experience.

The salary is ideal for starting out in the marketplace and we recruit internally should there be open positions in other departments.

The hours are shift based and flexible therefore one is able to select shifts that suits their lifestyle and economic needs.

1,0
I would say if your not smart its where dreams go to die
Online teacher (Former Employee) –  Cape Town1 January 2018
Pay is really low, and they make sure your score is low. They dont value employees, people don't stay. They always make mistakes when its comes to paying teachers. You need to always check your payslip keep record every month. They send about 3 or even more payslips before they pay you. Its just stressful.
Pros
Cons
Unprofessional

Good day,

Thank you for your review, we really appreciate it. We understand your frustration regarding the payslips. However, we only send out two payslips, one preliminary and a final one. We do this to make sure that your pay, which is based on the number of classes you taught and the scores you achieved, is accurate. We have introduced a new payroll system recently that has essentially eliminated queries.

3,0
Flexible work hours but the salary is too low.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape15 September 2017
I generally enjoy working there but they need to up their rates, the salary is just too low. People are leaving going to greener pastures and I am sure management has noticed that too. So I think they need to do something about that because the only reason most people are leaving is because of the non advancements as well as the little salary one gets.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Salary/Rates
Great place
English online Faclilitator (Current Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape12 September 2017
Reputation of key leaders
Admiration of products/services
Admiration of other company initiatives (marketing campaign, community involvement, training programs)
Company awards
Company management philosophy
Company values
Company positioning in market
Company growth/success
2,0
Fun workplace for a student
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape7 August 2017
The place is full or people who are still trying to find themselves and as a result most of the people are not every experienced in life and working. The nice thing about the place is that you are in control of the money that you make even though the remuneration is still very little for the amount of work that you have to do there. The most enjoyable part about the company is the fact that there are so many people that you get the opportunity to work with and the worst thing aboiut the job is the fact that the work is sometimes a little too much for the amount you get paid.
Pros
meeting people and work expreience
Cons
Work to pay ratio
2,0
Fun people but a cruel system that devastates the worker
Online teacher (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape2 August 2017
It's a fun job. Teaching online English to foreigners. However the company has made sure it is difficult to earn money. With a minimum pay so low it would lead to poverty and a maximum that barely scratches basic needs.
Pros
Cons
Poor pay and oppressive management

Good day,

I am glad that you enjoyed working at Pangea and that you had a lot of fun.

To earn more money, you can pick extra classes and ensure that you achieve high ratings. The in-centre trainer and centre coach are there to give you the support and pointers on how to be a 5 star teacher.

educational
Online English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape19 July 2017
at pangea it was such a nice environment and i really enjoyed teaching, my students would make me so happy and everyone was always happy and the managers were always nice. it was just a happy place where i got to teach my students new things while at the same time I was also gaining some knowledge.
Pros
short hours, wonderful students, awesome colleagues
Cons
little compensation, awkward hours
3,0
Lousy pay for long hours
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape3 May 2017
The management pushed long hours for little to no remuneration. As it was based on overseas callers the review system was often disputed as the non-native English speakers often reversed the system and as such the teachers received low reviews which affected the pay.
Pros
relaxed envorinment
Cons
long hours, low pay, no lunch
Good benefits
On line English Teacher (Current Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape12 November 2016
I enjoy teaching and interacting with my students. Pangea Outsourcing has helped me gain more experience and has provide training to aid me.
The great benefit was completing my 120 hour TEFL Certificate free of charge.
Pros
Tefl
Cons
Long hours, little pay
fun
online English teacher (Former Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape29 September 2016
Amazing position.
teaching foreigners from different countries to speak fluent English online.
Grading students.
Teaching in groups.
Cons
hours was hectic. working graveyard shifts. There was always a problem with the salary.
Productive and fun place
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape14 July 2016
The job is very flexible provided you say things on time. It is a good learning experience and the managers are great people.
I have learned a great deal, time management, patience and how to multitask.
Pros
Flexibility
3,0
Tense but occasionally fun workplace
Online English Educator (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape19 May 2016
A typical day at work is quite busy and not much time to take a break. Technical problems are quite common. I learned to multi-task and be very patient. The management is not very welcoming but they occasionally try to accommodate employee queries. Co-workers were the best part about working for this company. The hardest part of the job was trying to teach students when there were technical problems. The most enjoyable part was the interaction with co-workers.
Pros
great work space
Cons
Difficulty in getting days off
4,0
I enjoyed working for Pangea, unfortunately I was not able to live on the salary I received.
ONLINE ENGLISH TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape5 May 2016
I would get to the office, greet my colleagues., log on to the systems we work with and see the classes I have for the day.

I would read through the work material and prepare for the lessons I would have to give.

Working for Pangea taught me a lot of patience; because I would have to teach different students who were at different levels with their understanding of the English language; having them in the same class and trying to let them build each other's confidence was amazing.

The management style was impressive. I would get to have a meeting with my team and discuss what methods work for them, and how I could improve on my weaknesses. My manager would allow me to record 2 lessons a week and we would have a coaching session with how to make my classes more interesting and blend more with my style.

The colleagues I had were great, as I enjoyed going to work everyday as the level of cohesion was fantastic.

The hardest part of my job was having a 1-on1 lesson with a person who would not want to be taught by a black person. That would really be difficult, because when there is a group lesson you do not see each other and that is how students would choose a teacher for their style, then when a Skype lesson was on, the student being disappointed of my colour.

The most enjoyable part of my job was always learning something new. Whenever I had a student aske me where an idiom comes from, I would aske the classmates to guess; while in the meantime I would find out on Google where it came from.
Pros
Dealing with different cultures in the same lesson, and discovering how similar cultures actually are.
Cons
I would make sure that I would have to use English that would be suitable for students' levels
flexible
Online Tutor (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape18 April 2016
It has given me the experience when it comes to multitasking. As you get to have to expand your knowledge to cover other areas, such as IT related issues, as we work online.
It has been an educational experience.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pangea Outsourcing Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2,8