Pangea Outsourcing Services

Pangea Outsourcing Services Employee Reviews in Cape Town, Western Cape

2,0
The pay does not match the amount of work.
It is impossible to sustain yourself with the pay they gove you, they always make a lot of deductions at that.

The employees are cool and friendly, but thats about it.
Pros
Cons
The pay
25 June 2019
Hi,

Thank you for the valuable feedback. We are glad the office culture is fun and friendly since life can be gloomy sometimes.

The corporate world is looking for experienced employees. At Pangea, we give fresh graduates an opportunity to gain the necessary skills to "survive" in the corporate world.

Poor pay, poor management
I worked at Pangea during weekends and took shifts durning the week sometimes when I had time. The management treats that place like a high school, they treat people like students and want to have control on what you eating, who you talking to, it’s ridiculous to say the least. You work lengthy hours for peanuts on top of that you have to work two months before you get your first salary. Enjoyed the actual job of teaching as the students were nice
Poor management and stressful
Working at Pangea is good to gain work experience. You work long hours with extremely low pay, managers are not professional and well trained. At least you get a free tefl
Pros
Tefl
Cons
Long hours, low pay, lack of support
Open environment
Great experience with a chance to interact with other professionals from different backgrounds. Working hours are flexible to suit your availability and great employee support.
Great colleagues and clients
Good to learn how to teach English online to foreign nationals, the problem was when there were technical problems, the teacher got penalized for these while the problem was not his. The salary rate is awfully low, you end up having to do more classes (double shifts) just to keep up with the cost of living.
The enjoyable part was meeting new students online and being able to help them with their English conversation.
Unfair incentives
I have been working at Pangea on weekends full time and pick up shifts when available during the week.My scored are above 4.85 most of the time.Pangea has an incentive system to pay $50 to all teachers with an avaerage of 4.85 provided they teach a cerain number of hrs and they dont have any issues like complains, Teacher Lates and TSPs. I find it disturbing that I never got that award and I put my all in what I do. I know its sounds petty but its happening to many as well. Whats more strange is you see certain teachers whose names are always on the winners list but they scores might even be lower or equal to yours without any teacher lates or even other funny excuses they give for not rewarding you.

With a ridiculous pay structure I think the least they can do is to be fair interms of they incentive system
Pros
Opportunity to get a job easily due to high turnover🤷🏻‍♀️
Cons
I can spend the whole day typing but its a pathetic company
3 May 2019
Hi,

Thank you for the feedback. Well done on achieving high scores. Keep up the great work.

You are referring to the Top Performer award system that rewards the Top 20 high scoring teachers every month. Having an average score above 4.85 is but one of the criteria, you also need to have no penalties incurred in the month and have a clean disciplinary record. If you did not get a reward, then you did not meet all of the criteria.

Flexible work environment
The work hours are flexible and you are able to give away a shift when you want to rest. The salary is however not satisfying. The management is quite strict and time keeping is very important.
11 March 2019
Hi,

Thank you for the valuable feedback. We need to ensure that classes are always taught on time. Therefore the managers are strict with regards to timekeeping.

3,0
Hectic work hours for basic salary
Pangea is a great place to get experience for fresh graduates and as a part-time job for those wishing to earn an extra income. The hours and salary structure has been designed in that way, they have no problem being a stepping stone, however the hourly rate could be increased as the workload is extensive and requires skill.
Pros
TEFL course
Cons
Salary
25 October 2018
Hi

Thank you for your review, we really appreciate it. At Pangea, we understand the challenges that graduates face when securing their first job. The corporate world is looking for experienced employees. However, at Pangea, we offer the opportunity to gain experience so that you become attractive to future employees.

Pangea Team
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Pangea Outsourcing Services?
1,0
I would say if your not smart its where dreams go to die
Pay is really low, and they make sure your score is low. They dont value employees, people don't stay. They always make mistakes when its comes to paying teachers. You need to always check your payslip keep record every month. They send about 3 or even more payslips before they pay you. Its just stressful.
Pros
Cons
Unprofessional
30 July 2018
Good day,

Thank you for your review, we really appreciate it. We understand your frustration regarding the payslips. However, we only send out two payslips, one preliminary and a final one. We do this to make sure that your pay, which is based on the number of classes you taught and the scores you achieved, is accurate. We have introduced a new payroll system recently that has essentially eliminated queries.

2,0
Fun people but a cruel system that devastates the worker
It's a fun job. Teaching online English to foreigners. However the company has made sure it is difficult to earn money. With a minimum pay so low it would lead to poverty and a maximum that barely scratches basic needs.
Pros
Cons
Poor pay and oppressive management
30 July 2018
Good day,

I am glad that you enjoyed working at Pangea and that you had a lot of fun.

To earn more money, you can pick extra classes and ensure that you achieve high ratings. The in-centre trainer and centre coach are there to give you the support and pointers on how to be a 5 star teacher.

educational
at pangea it was such a nice environment and i really enjoyed teaching, my students would make me so happy and everyone was always happy and the managers were always nice. it was just a happy place where i got to teach my students new things while at the same time I was also gaining some knowledge.
Pros
short hours, wonderful students, awesome colleagues
Cons
little compensation, awkward hours
3,0
Lousy pay for long hours
The management pushed long hours for little to no remuneration. As it was based on overseas callers the review system was often disputed as the non-native English speakers often reversed the system and as such the teachers received low reviews which affected the pay.
Pros
relaxed envorinment
Cons
long hours, low pay, no lunch
Productive and fun place
The job is very flexible provided you say things on time. It is a good learning experience and the managers are great people.
I have learned a great deal, time management, patience and how to multitask.
Pros
Flexibility
3,0
Tense but occasionally fun workplace
A typical day at work is quite busy and not much time to take a break. Technical problems are quite common. I learned to multi-task and be very patient. The management is not very welcoming but they occasionally try to accommodate employee queries. Co-workers were the best part about working for this company. The hardest part of the job was trying to teach students when there were technical problems. The most enjoyable part was the interaction with co-workers.
Pros
great work space
Cons
Difficulty in getting days off
4,0
I enjoyed working for Pangea, unfortunately I was not able to live on the salary I received.
I would get to the office, greet my colleagues., log on to the systems we work with and see the classes I have for the day.

I would read through the work material and prepare for the lessons I would have to give.

Working for Pangea taught me a lot of patience; because I would have to teach different students who were at different levels with their understanding of the English language; having them in the same class and trying to let them build each other's confidence was amazing.

The management style was impressive. I would get to have a meeting with my team and discuss what methods work for them, and how I could improve on my weaknesses. My manager would allow me to record 2 lessons a week and we would have a coaching session with how to make my classes more interesting and blend more with my style.

The colleagues I had were great, as I enjoyed going to work everyday as the level of cohesion was fantastic.

The hardest part of my job was having a 1-on1 lesson with a person who would not want to be taught by a black person. That would really be difficult, because when there is a group lesson you do not see each other and that is how students would choose a teacher for their style, then when a Skype lesson was on, the student being disappointed of my colour.

The most enjoyable part of my job was always learning something new. Whenever I had a student aske me where an idiom comes from, I would aske the classmates to guess; while in the meantime I would find out on Google where it came from.
Pros
Dealing with different cultures in the same lesson, and discovering how similar cultures actually are.
Cons
I would make sure that I would have to use English that would be suitable for students' levels
flexible
It has given me the experience when it comes to multitasking. As you get to have to expand your knowledge to cover other areas, such as IT related issues, as we work online.
It has been an educational experience.
Diverse work place
A very diverse work place which made it fun to work there. Interacted with people from different parts of the world and this helped me have an understanding of different cultures. However, there were very few opportunities for career advancement.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
low salary
Productive and interactive
I start of the day checking my schedule and filling classes where I have gaps. I check my evaluation form students, I engage with other teachers and the centre management and assistants, I teach on the hour every hour with a 15 minute gap between every class. We discuss and teach a wide range of topics with the internet available to research and educate ourselves, the centre trains in T.E.L.F certification. The best part of the job is the rewarding interaction between student and teachers, the hardest part is the technical difficulties and transparency between management and teacher.
Pros
Convenient working times
Cons
Very low salary structure
4,0
Good environment, excellent stuff and great communication.
Pangea is a great comany, it has given me what one would call "wings". It because of it that I know how to be a great leader, teach creatively and most importantly, be myself among other individuals.

My typical day as work is spend on a computer teachers and occasionally holding meeting with my team, I come to work 30 minutes early (as is required) and setup my classroom and then when my students arrive I teach them, make small talk with them and learn from them as well. It is always a joy for me to meet people from different cultures.

Management here at Pangea is the best I've ever had, well not that I have had many. There are smiles on both the receptionist and Center manager's faces every time I work in, this applies to my co-workers too. what I have with the people I work with is beyond work related, it is more like a friendship.

The hardest part of the job is when we have technical difficulties and I as a teacher have no way of solving them. I know this frustrates my students and I do not enjoy feeling powerless.

I love it when my students grow with regards to their English communication, from that I feel a sense of accomplishment. One other special thing I love about my job is when my teachers (teachers from my team) excel and win the group some money, from that I gain a sense of victory.
Pros
great environment, great staff
Cons
unstable shifts, unreliable remuneration