PetroSA Employee Reviews

4,0
great enviroment ,hard working people and verry productive
Semi skilled (Former Employee) –  Mossel Bay, Western Cape22 March 2019
i enjoyed the period of time i worked there, and ive learned allot from the senior fitters
had the oppertunity to work on running plants and online equipment.had the chance to learn while workin there
Pros
free energy drinks, free transport provided onsite petrol refunded when on standby
Cons
long working hours
Good working environment
Senior Cost Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape21 January 2019
Afforded many opportunities
My career experienced material growth
Good working environment
It can feel too comfortable which can be detrimental to one's growth
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
Too comfortable
2,0
hard working and focussed workplace with some challenges
Instrument Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Mossel Bay, ZA5 December 2018
A typical day to day workday will normally consist of your normal routine jobs, acting pro-actively by calling production and find out the typical problems experienced through the night that will need attention and your plant walks to identify any problems and preventative maintenance not only just specific discipline related. I have learned that sometimes you are forced to make critical decisions based on some plant related issues that you are presented with that asks for immediate action. Management have been challenged with issues that is beyond anyone's control therefor the job sometimes asks for individuals to act outside their field of authority in order to relief pressure or spread it equally over the workforce to benefit the company. The hardest part of the job is probably waking up and go to work realising the challenges we are still facing as a company that looks almost impossible to overcome, but yet we have to go on as if nothing's wrong. Just the same; the most enjoyable is knowing we have overcome some challenges that seemed impossible, as a company, as a department, as a team, as an individual. The feeling is an overwhelming feeling of relief and excitement when we reach an achievement.
Pros
joy of having a job and reach goals and achievements
Cons
apart from your salary, there's no other benefits
Working at PetroSA
Head of Logistics Operations and Planning (Former Employee) –  Mosselbay, South Africa19 September 2018
PetroSA used to be a very diverse company with many acticities and my job was to manage the support vessels and the helicopters. Something I knew very well from earlier experience. It was a very interesting job and involved hundreds of millions of $s. The task was expert related and I was the expert on platform supply vessels and support helicopters.
The job was most challenging and very technicallyand financially intensive as the amounts of funds managed were huge and left no room for error.
Unfortunately an element of corruption materialised with some management personal and it left me no choice but to leave the company as it would have implicated me and criminilised my reoutation. It was sad for me as the job fit me hand-in-glove!
Pros
Stable and exiting job
Cons
Corrupt Management
1,0
productive and fun
Mechanical fitter (Current Employee) –  Mossel Bay, Western Cape31 July 2018
Maintenance and on the job training
Exposure to various equipment in the plant
Maintain a healthy and safe work environment to employees
Over friendly colleagues make it possible to maintain a healthy working environment
Pros
Working overtime
Cons
Not consulting its contractors in due time of working overtime
Productive and fun
general worker (Former Employee) –  Mossel Bay, Western Cape7 May 2018
Always start our day doing the safety tips and how to be safe. Also learn how to work together as a team and be productive in our everyday work place.
Pros
And hour lunch break
Cons
Working with people that doesn't want to work with you.
4,0
Best Company to work with so far
Apprentice Turner (Former Employee) –  Mossel Bay, Western Cape5 April 2018
I really enjoyed my apprenticeship at PetroSA. I gained great job knowledge as well as experience. I was sad and disappointed when my apprenticeship ended with PetroSA.
Pros
Excellent working environment
Culture of diversity
In-service Trainee (Former Employee) –  Mossel Bay8 January 2018
Doing my in-service training at PetroSA offered me an opportunity to learn more about petrochemicals and the refinery.
The learning process was more encompassing as the different departments are interfaced, hence I learned a lot about the processes that take place within the company.
GENERAL WORKER (SORTER) (Former Employee) –  Mossel Bay6 October 2017
This Is a very productive, professional workplace and has a friendly environment. Any person would love to work here because the management treat you with outmost respect.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Very long hours
Challenging and Enjoyable
Chief Electrician (Former Employee) –  Offsore - Mossel Bay, Western Cape22 September 2017
On a normal day I would do daily checks on all equipment such as, alarm panels, lighting, rotary machinary for any overheating, refridgeration, airconditioning and production plant.

I learned computor literacy as that became a big part of my daily routine.

I managed all electrical staff as well as any workers that were outsourced.

I am a peoples person so it made it easy for me the interact with people and build good relationships.

The hardest part of the job were the emergancy call outs because everything was done off shore.

The relationships I was able to make with others on the job due to the fact that we were the only people on the instillation.
Pros
I would say the pro was that I had a new challenge everyday.
Cons
away from the family, lots of travaling, unneccesary stress, reduction in staff.
Review
Trader (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape14 September 2017
I enjoy working for PetroSA. I work with a team of dedicated professionals. In my profession I am able to view the universal ways of doing things. I now need to grow.
Management not always tranparent
Senior Trainer - Instrumentation (Former Employee) –  Mossel Bay, Western Cape4 September 2017
I enjoyed working at PetroSa. Started with them before gas was on-land(Mossgas). Got experience on all the different Units. Was part of the comissioning of Mossgas.
In 2006 I went over to the training department and start training people in the instrument workshop for the 2006 shutdown.
The training was focused on control valves, strip , overhaul and calibration.
In 2007 I was transferred to the traing centre (COE) until retirement.
productive and optimize
Good workpalce culture
Prolonged start-up and shutdowns
training of subordinates
Planned shutdowns organized
Pros
salaries
Cons
not much
Challenging work environment
Control & Instrument Engineer / Maintenance Sup (Former Employee) –  Mossel Bay, Western Cape - Offshore Platform14 August 2017
An environment where I need to think on my feet and lead a multi-disciplinary team to ensure that plant availability is optimised. Safety really overrides all facets of the environment.
Pros
Job satisfaction
Cons
Some very stressful situations
High Pay low innovation
Management Accountant (Former Employee) –  Parow, Western Cape9 July 2017
Great benefits, and a good mix of people to work with.
Red tape organisation governed by strict laws and political influences so not recommended to the innovative job seekers.

Those wanting a comfortable job that pays well, this job is well suited.
There is flexible hours, which is great for work life balance.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Incompetent Board Members
3,0
Safe and fun place to work at
Turner apprentice (Former Employee) –  Mossel Bay, Western Cape23 May 2017
Petro SA was a awesome experience for me as n student,as i learned alot from the company,my trainer and the artisans i worked with...I will be obtaining my red seal trade test soon n hope to move on and make n success outside of petro sa.
Pros
New equipment
Cons
Lack of jobs
Productive and Educational
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Parow, Western Cape18 April 2017
PetroSA has been a very good company I have worked for. It had good benefits and I have learned a lot through the years I was at the company. Each year I was sent for a course to further my knowledge within the division I was working at.
Pros
Events celebrations
Cons
Retrenchments
3,0
Good company that accommodate a diverse group
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Mossel Bay6 April 2017
Company feedstock depleting, which has placed job security under strain. Poor management of major projects has caused the company to go through a financial crisis. There needs to be more people of sound business acumen and oil & gas expertise involved in the decision making process.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Too slow in decision making
Flexible enviroment
Forensic Auditor/Business Compliance Manager (Former Employee) –  Cape Town harbour, Western Cape29 March 2017
Company that is full of possibilities, the company is entrusted with one of the national assets of this country. There is quite a diverse group of employees with various skills.
3,0
Was a good company to work for.
Senior Analyzer Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Mossel Bay, Western Cape23 January 2017
Job security was a problem as company going through financial problems and depleting feedstock. Did all major Analyzer repair and fault finding enjoyed working there only concern was job security.