Philips Employee Reviews

Found 17 reviews matching the search See all 3 106 reviews
4,0
International Company
Divisional Manager (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng24 April 2018
Working with Philips was very educational. It was fantastic to represent an international company in the local market. Philips are market leaders in their field and we had the benefits of international support for any queries or problems we encountered in the daily operation.

The ongoing training of staff members, in order to keep abreast of new technology, entailed attending international seminars and therefore I was able to travel and experience different cultures in different countries, while still associating with like minded people in the lighting industry.
Pros
International travel
Cons
Adapting international trends into local mindsets.
5,0
A playful yet productive work place
Stores Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng5 March 2018
A typical day would start with checking finished product TV's as received into stores the previous evening.
Reporting previous days targets and production figures to the logistics manager.

Processing the Issuing daily kits of raw material to production lines
Receiving, checking and capturing raw material into stores from local suppliers.
Checking serial numbers and capturing correct quantities of finished products from the factory into the stores.
Process GRV's of finished product to the warehouse.

Processing and balancing line supervisors production figures.
Checking and recording serial numbers of carry over finished products received into the store.
Reconcile and report finished product serial numbers as well as GRV numbers issued to the warehouse for the day with the warehouse manager.

Working at Philips I learnt the importance of team work and productivity.

The culture was casual, clockwatching yet relaxed.

The hardest part of this job was not being able to meet daily targets when there was stock shortage that could not be sourced locally.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being rewarded for reaching daily and monthly targets.
Pros
Finishing at 14:30 on a Friday and closing for Christmas holidays.
Cons
The risk of shortages due to theft
3,0
opportunity to earn while learn and learning skills
Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng14 January 2018
repairing of circuit boards down to component level, learning how to read schematic diagrams, using test equipment......then later in capetown working in the field repairing atm's and pc's
Pros
company car
Cons
after hours and some Saturday work
quick paced
Logistics Intern (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng4 January 2018
- Do Sales Report, Open orders, stock report, warehouse report

- Track shipments (export and import)
- Arrange exports
- Attend meetings
- Pull reports when requested to
Pros
learn a lot
Cons
No time for training
A great place to learn
Financial Controller (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, South Africa17 October 2017
Starting out at Philips as the Credit Manager in a centralized credit control department to de-centralizing 6 months later and being offered to study further to become one of the Financial Controllers was the best career move for me. I enjoyed the challenge, dealing with the Business Unit managers on a daily basis, learning about all the numerous products that Philips manufactured, each one with it own unique customers. The hardest part of the job was the distance traveled but the most enjoyable part was thy work.
Pros
Sap
Cons
Distance
5,0
• Budget Management and Cash Management • Sound Financial Accounting System implementation • Effective Project Management • Market trend analysis • En
Assistant Accountant (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg South, Gauteng18 August 2017
• Budget Management and Cash Management
• Sound Financial Accounting System implementation
• Effective Project Management
• Market trend analysis
• Ensuring compliance of policies, procedures and control
• Extensive knowledge of donor management projects
3,0
Everyday presents a new challenge
Sales Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Western Cape16 February 2017
In meeting various people in their working environment or different background, always a pleasure making a friend. As Sales Account Managers we push ourselves in ownership and responsibilities - Own your business and make it successful, will a high commitment to competition per Region in a very respectful way. Positive culture to win.
Pros
Assistance - eLearning to self education (Right Fit for the Right Customer)
Cons
Large Portfolio with hours spent on eLearning to improve your skills and understand your products
2,0
unstable and always changing
Junior Marketing Communications Manager (Current Employee) –  Gauteng15 January 2017
It differs from person to person, however, from an entry level, I don't think its stable for those that want to grow in the workplace industry.
Pros
Employee of the Month Rewards
Cons
No Succesion plans
Productive and fun environment
Brand Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape13 December 2016
Overall it is a good job considering I only matriculated 2 years ago and can't expect a high income just yet.It's decent for students.
5,0
Focussed. Loyal and passionate.
Group Shipping, Whse, & Distribution mgr (Former Employee) –  Gauteng17 June 2016
I have more than 30 experience covering ALL aspects of the logistics industry. I have excellent contactable references and i am well qualified. I have turned around all operations I managed in my career from a low KPI scoring operations to a profitable business units.
Clinical...
Project Sales Key Account Manager (Export) (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng4 February 2016
This is a company with a big name and commanded a lot of respect.

I learnt a lot from the company due to its multinational culture but the bigger the company the more difficult it gets to get certain things done because the process gets longer.

Co workers were nice but everyone minded his own business.

The management was very strict and all about figures you bring in.

Hardest part of the job was delivery times. And this made us lose good clients.

The most enjoyable part was the respect you command when you walk in and you have that badge from a big company and you're respected. The pay here was good but just that no commissions came in. You earn what you earn...
Audiologist and Acoustician (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg25 July 2015
- Brief meeting in the morning, review of previous day activities, calling to make appointment with clients out of town or confirm appointments, see patients
- I learned work hard and enjoy
- good management - although profit driven
- Co-workers with good working spirit
- Bad travel arrangements
- Month end
Pros
well equipped and adjusted working environment
3,0
Company is undergoing metamorphous and is currently not the greatest place to be at
Group Shipping Manager (Current Employee) –  GP22 April 2015
Very trying times but I am sure that we will ski the swells. The company is going though necessary changes and unbundling which makes for a difficult and stressful environment for any company going through such changes

I have been privileged to have a great team reporting to me. Many of whom will be sadly missed as they have accepted early retirement or voluntary retrenchment.

It has been a great opportunity to take corrective actions of the last few years and implement a LEAN way of working which was rewarding as the savings in negotiations and duties to the company were pleasing

I am sure that the company will return to full glory once the tumutous times have passed and the remodelled company surely will be a great place to work.
Pros
Excellent benefits and Provident fund
Cons
Certain management need people and leadership skills
productive,serious workplace
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, GP14 July 2014
A typical day is get to the office deal with emails if they is any queries, do the banking for the day (payments,bank posting,allocations and doing cashflow for the day.From there deal with any outstanding issues , post Journals, fixed assets allocations etc.
i have learned that they is nothing impossible under the sun.
Some they are serous they can even great, some they want all the attention to them selves some very frindly and God fearing, some they complain the whole day about the given task and still do it at the end of day, some they are always in a hurry, some they are very funny and you just have to shake your head.
Deadlines these they are very tight can cannot be missed.
I enjoy evrything that i do because i can do it with my eyes closed there need a challenge.
Pros
a free half day and at times lunch from the Manager
Cons
long hours at times and tight deadlines
3,0
It is a company with group of people who does not want to learn
Projects Leader (Current Employee) –  Maseru26 August 2013
People here are not team players but always looking who to blame instate of working together to solve the problem.
Pros
company and employee go 50/50 for the meals and the transport provided at night shifts
Cons
working from Monday to Sutarday
Productive and enjoyable
Field Service Engineer Trainee (Former Employee) –  Cape Town2 January 2013
My day to day work as a trainee was to learn from my permanent colleagues. The job was to maintain and service the hospital equipment's that were manufactured by Philips in hospitals that had a contract with Philips. I learned how to troubleshoot, fault find, opening the equipment's and to service. The most nice moments were when we had laughs in the office before going out to work, the whole environment was peaceful and enjoyable even thou there sometimes where there is frustrations when the challenge is taking to long to be solved because when the medical equipment is down there is a lot at stake. I learned how to interact with people in a professional manner and how to conduct myself in stressful moments.