SABS Employee Reviews

3,0
Excellent company to work for.
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng18 April 2017
Our duties included amongst others going around the shops to check all appliances that were conforming SA Standards as prescribed in SA Legislation, by sampling them testing in our labs.

One had to know the exact specifics to look for when doing this job, and that which countries were contributing towards this non-compliant products in SA, which I may not be able here.
Pros
A lot of travelling, seeing new places and meeting different people.
Cons
At times you had to leave during a time when you were enjoying yourself with your family
productive
Data Capturer (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng3 February 2017
Did not have much time working there but it was worth the experience. I would've loved to have more time since there is so much to learn.
Pros
friendly staff members. Always willing to help.
Cons
working weekends.
4,0
Good time frame for projects and time to rest
network engineer (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng11 September 2016
This is what I have learn ,Configure and install various network devices and services e.g. routers, switches, Firewall, load balancers, VPN and Qos. 
Pros
The campus is good for experience
Cons
No cons, I love and miss SABS
productive
Lab Analyst (Current Employee) –  Secunda, Mpumalanga27 May 2016
sabs very productive and brooming place flexiblility staff,
suppotive,its quality,timeframe and meet its target

typical day salary day

i learn self esteem

managent can deliver in time

displine

equipment breaking

enjoyable part when our client are giving a happy report back
Production Day
Behaviour Intervention Coach (IRCA) (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape4 November 2015
Learning a great deal from their auditors, Sharing of knowledge while auditing. Providing couching during audits.
Exposure to senior colleagues during audits. sharing of technical experience while auditing
Pros
learning opportunity
Cons
non conformances
4,0
Productivity and efficiency is critical in a work enviroment
Regional manager (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, GP6 May 2015
Review weekly and monthly planning.Review Emails from customers, Finalize travel for all auditors in advance. Conduct approvals for the new appointed certification clients,manage finance invoices and queries, Visit customers either to conduct on selling of new potential business or Audit companies to given standards.
I learned Business Best Practices in other parts of the world .These Business principles applied in my business unit.
My management skills are exceptional, to an degree of being very strict in compliance to regulation and policies.
I build a trust relation ship with and open door policy. my strongest believe is that if one works a eight hours shift you need to have a good relation ship because employees should not see work as a burden but an opportunity to improve their lives.
I have disciplined and dismissed employees that was the hardest but it goes with the JOB.Creating further opportunities to enhance the business especially if the growth is slow within a sector.
When targets are achieved makes me the happiest.
Pros
Accountability
Cons
Long hours is personnel are not adequately trained
4,0
great environment to learn about quality
Chemical Test Officer (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, GP1 April 2015
My day was always hectic, especially sometimes having to deal with difficult customers. sometimes we had backlog in the lab and turn around time were compromised and that was the hardest part of my work. I learned that at times you need to put a little more effort and hours so the business can be operational.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
long term contracts
Being productive
Intern (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, GP4 February 2014
Every day when i get to work i make a list of possisble work that i will be doing for the day and prioritze on them in oder to cope with stress and pressure at wok,i'm also a hard working person when it comes to anny task assign for me, if i,m given a task i make sure that i finish it within a short period of time but well executed, I have leaned how to communicate with other people and taught me the importance of custumer loyality and also how to work as a team because working as team is where we ca bring togethr diffirent ideas so that we can achieve our goal.
Pros
Free lunchs
5,0
Excellent exposure to on the job training
Task manager (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, GP20 January 2014
Once arriving at the office I give out the inspectors their devices and we drive to site, Once on site we perform a onsite inspection regarding the surroundings of the area, We then proceed to do inspections. I then conduct a on the Job survey for each individual inspector on how they are carrying out their duties. All health and safety requirement and checklist are carried out by me. Attend monthly meetings with SABS management which was a big step for me as it was challenging as they were more experianced and I got to learn alot from them, The most fullfilling part was when all inspectors reach targets and when we accomplished the project in due time with no return works. my team was awesome as we worked together in all we did. Iv learnt to be patient, understanding because we deal with alot of different kinds of people and cultures, communication is key in all you do and listerning to others also is vital.
Pros
Lots of exposure to different people in and around the different places we go to.
Cons
Long long hours from working at home after coming back from work, Travelling long distances and sometimes being away from home for a few days.
3,0
Focused on quality and client satisfaction
Client Liaison Officer (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, GP12 September 2013
Start work early, work in a team, been on many in house courses. Seen many changes to the company through the years. Management changed through the years so one has to adapt to the new CEO every 5 years or so, there have been very good times and bad times and mediocre times. My co-workers and manager are a family at this stage and we are very close knit. The hardest part of the job is to keep up to the deadlines when external influences like postal strikes etc influence our quality of service and the clients then get unhappy so one has to try to keep everyone happy. The best part of the job is the team and the hours we keep e.g. semi flextime.
Pros
Semi flextime hours, pension benefits and leave benefits
Cons
sometimes long hours required, external influences that affect our performance.
3,0
Senior Laboratoroty Technician (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, GP12 September 2013
Dealing directly with clients and transparency. Meeting target monthly because of team work
Pros
incentives for hard work
Cons
working flexi time
4,0
It is good to work cause for each and every day activity one feel like it new,due to the culture of this company
supervisor (Current Employee) –  pretoria2 August 2013
I always look forward to work,because of the friendly staff i am working with,i have learned a lot about to handle a human being more especially people around you,we are having supportive management always motivating us,to deal with difficult customers,validating the new instrument and writing the method
Pros
outing for any event like womens day
Cons
if there is lot of working we come during weekends
4,0
A workplace where jobadvancement is valued by the management.
Resaercher (Former Employee) –  Pretoria29 January 2013
Interaction with project stakeholders to keep them posted on the prgress of various projects.

I learnt to interct with various levels of managemnt while working on various projects while giving feedback. Management of various stakeholders from diverse backgrounds i.e. Government, industry, academics and consumer representatives.

The department worked as a team where we kept informed about the various projects conducted about my colleagues wher it was easier for any of us to keep the stakeholders informed in case of enquiries when the project was not available. One would simply tap into the computer to check the progress of the relevant project.

The hardest part of the job was reconciling differences amongst the stakeholders as they represented diverse interests from their various backgrounds.

The most enjoyable part of the work was when the parties agreed on a particular issue of the discussion thus making the work to move forawrd towards the set objective.
Pros
the was so much to learn from the stakeholders as they were all experts in their field of work.
Cons
working with experts from various fields who can easily sway you to go with their opinions.
A "Work in Progress" Department
Procurement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pretoria2 January 2013
The environment is not pro-active so everthing is urgent. The Procurement Department is young and there is a reasonable amount of marketing to be sone to get buy-in from Major Stakeholders.
Pros
challenging
Cons
unreasonable demands