Sanlam Employee Reviews

Good experience
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Empangeni, KwaZulu-Natal13 May 2019
Working for Sanlam was fun and we had many team buildings and events hosted by Head office. You have the older employees whom are willing to assist best when you are new in the company.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Strict target and lapses
Fun place to work
Data Capturer (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape9 May 2019
Sanlam personel in general are very helpful and it really feels like a family. Work/life balance is taken seriously and the 'mall' in the building really just makes it so convenient to work for Sanlam. I really believe that this is a company that welcomes and values all.
Pros
Beautiful Location
1,0
Fun Work
Sales Consultan (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape28 April 2019
We Spent Most Of Time In The Field You Only Go To Office Submit /Work With Time /Management Was Good /Complete Your Monthly Targets /Commissions /Building Good A Relationship With Your Clients.
Pros
Sometimes
Cons
Long Hours
Interesting
Senior Financial Consultant (Current Employee) –  Bellville, Western Cape24 April 2019
Get start to one's working career in the financial field, informative with regards to our countries economic situation and with investments. Great training provided and support.

Pleasant environment to work in.
Money hungry
Financial Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng20 April 2019
I am very spontaneous person. Love helping people and working with them. I work very well in a team environment and believe I have allot to offer any company.
Educational
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng5 April 2019
Always read the fine print, but Sanlam is very nice institution to work for and the team spirit is high and the energy even higher. They never tell or show you what to do.
Pros
Freedom
Cons
very small salary
Productive and fun
Java/C# developer (Former Employee) –  Houghton, Gauteng7 February 2019
o Develop Enterprise Implementation Procedure
o Develop IT Technical Architecture
o managing, writing scripts, designing database - SQL Server 2005,2008
o Develop and manage the Backup and Restore procedure
o Maintaining and monitor application
Pros
Great Team
Cons
Bad leadership
1,0
Uncertainty at all times
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg5 February 2019
I was stationed as a Sales Manager for a franchise and told over text that the franchise would be moving. The uncertainty led to all staff losing employment and a number still unemployed. Honesty was lacked and all new opportunities blocked by line managers should new employers contact them for references
2,0
Employees are not valued.
Sales Support (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal10 January 2019
There is no growth in the company. The company does not value its employees. People have been working in the same position for over 25 years on the same grade.
Pros
Corporate environment.
Cons
Employees are not valued.
2,0
Strange and uncertain work place
Financial Planner (Former Employee) –  Bloemfontein, Free State19 December 2018
The company pay huge and very attractive commission for your successful attempts.
Your success is mainly dependent on the clients that you find.
I felt that one must be driven by money to be successful. No mercy for the client.
All expenses paid from your own pocket and gets deducted from commission earned.
My expenses exceeded earnings too many times and forces me to give up the hunt for money.
Pros
Attractive Commision earnings
Cons
You need money and influence to survive
Head hunted
Manager (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg10 December 2018
Was headhunted to go and work for Absa life at that stage . More money and benefits . regional management position
Had consultants all over the country service brokers /new business.
Pros
travel
Well established company
Financial advisor (Former Employee) –  Goodwood, Western Cape15 November 2018
Sanlam allowed me to grow as an individual. The typical workday was what you made of the day. I learned the importance of self-management hard work and commitment.
good to work
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bellville, Western Cape7 November 2018
It was great working at Sanlam although the job security was not good because it was only commission based, so if you do not have enough sales you wont have a take home income. The lapses are also one of major job insecurity.
Pros
perfomance bonuses
Cons
working conditions
4,0
Enjoyed working as an independant financial advisor
Independent Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Nelspruit, Mpumalanga5 November 2018
Canvassing new clients, Cold Calling, Marketing and Promotions,
Gathering of Information and Determining Financial Needs and seek a Solution for the client, arrange meetings at cooperate companies for marketing purposes. Organize Sponsored events at schools and the local Art Festival Innibos. Organizing Socials for team building reasons. I was responsible for business development and networking, develop and manage client relationships.
Concluding of business; Account Management; Excellent Human Relationships; Liaising with the Clients; Financial Analyses; Yearly Financial Planning; Honesty and Integrity; On-going professional development. As a Financial Advisor you need to be Highly Motivated at all times and identify opportunities and be able to take up great Responsibility. If you do not have Self-Discipline your business cannot flourish. I did well under Pressure and enjoyed working Independently. Extreme target driven position
Pros
working independant
Cons
you have to pay back lapses.
Challenging.
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Randfontein, Gauteng21 September 2018
The different target market. It can get really challenging to reach your target. But this job gives your freedom but requires discipline and dedication.
Pros
Freedom
Cons
Too much travelling. Over-spending.
5,0
Financial Advisor first time experience.
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng19 September 2018
Day at work - I manage my own time
Needed to be disciplined and time management was vital
No Micro management and flexible culture
Not making sales as its pure commission
closing the deal and hand shake from the client.
Pros
you are your own boss
Cons
the limit of your earnings is endless.
5,0
Productive and fun place to work
Financial Planner (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng17 September 2018
A typical day at work is prospecting,leads generation, follow up on queries and close potential clients.

I have learned respect, responsibility persuasion skills and time management.

I have learned to manage my day to day diary and my business.
Follow up on unpaid premiums, maturing investments and recommend products that will help clients archive their financial dreams.

Workplace culture is competitive and production driven and promoting the culture of striving to do the best all the time.

The hardest part of the job when you don't have any leads to work on as it might disturbs your day plan.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the remuneration, time flexibility and incentives for performers or advisers who are doing exceptionally well.
Pros
performance incentive, free lunch and continuous development training's
Cons
long hours and strainous paper work
Fun workplace
Sales Executive Consultant (Former Employee) –  Umtata9 September 2018
Sanlam was fun workplace to e in and needs a very dedicated person to work in. There was great team work amongst team members. a great place to develop sales skills and customer care. a very good company. The hardest part of the job was to convince clients to keep their policy but with patience and persuading them helped and needed you to form relations with them.
Having a client taking a policy and keep it and continue paying seeing the client happy to receive the service we give was the most enjoyable.
Professional , client orientated
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape29 August 2018
At Sanlam we strive to always put our client first, making sure our client receives the best advice possible to make a inform decision.

Building relationships with clients is the most important part and making sure you make a difference by adding value to the client.

You are a professional , which means the type of work you do and give on a daily basis must be professional as well and always 100% correct and that is who i am as well.

You are a entrepreneur, no working hours , meaning you get out what you put in.
Its a challanging job
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Rustenburg, North West24 August 2018
Its a challenging job as it requires you to know all other African languages not every one can read and write English. It also needs a lot of patience as its commission based salary. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting different people everyday and different races, you build a long relationship with them. The manager that I worked for was very motivational and understanding and helpful to new clients. The Amin staff were forever there when you needed certain documents even during after hours.I have learned the value of saving for the future as you may never know what the future may bring but it will be a lot easier when you are prepared for it.
Pros
you work according to your appointments with clients
Cons
commision based salary