Sappi Management reviews

1,0
Good exposure poor treatment of employees
Engineer in training (Former Employee) –  Umkomaas, KwaZulu-Natal1 August 2018
management often makes promises and uses employees with no concern for their well-being leading to demotivation and disgruntlement.
Politics are very bad, where good workers are often disregarded due to management having personal relationships with others.

Lots of work to be done and very good working experience for cv
Pros
wide variety of job experience available
Cons
poor hr policies and employee engagement
Effective work
Learning development (Former Employee) –  From Home31 May 2018
I was a contract worker so therefor I could not ave job security or any benefits.

I was very happy working for Sappi as they have overall good management and they are very trustworthy. There is a good job culture and for that reason I would go back working for them as soon as I can.
Pros
Working on own time
Productive and Demanding
Condition Monitoring Technician (Former Employee) –  Sappi Durban South Africa15 November 2017
Upon arrival at work set up PC load analyzers for engineering personnel, analyse vibration data take follow up readings and compile reports for engineering personnel and management.
Attend to numerous calls for plant and workshop problems and surveys utilizing different technologies and equipment.Hardest part of the job was to make engineering personnel understand the faults diagnosed and most enjoyable part of the job was confirming that the diagnosis was correct.
Healthy working environment.
TRAINEE SHEQ REP (Former Employee) –  KwaZulu-Natal19 July 2016
A friendly environment to interact in with people of many different back rounds. Learned filing, and was given the chance to be active in auditing which helped me understand how important to have all daily work done properly the first time round. Management was very informative and assisting in giving me more knowledge about safety. Hardest part was a lot of paper work and the knowledge of the osheact, specially when it comes to remembering acts. Loved every day of going to sappi it made me eager to wake u every day.
Pros
Happy working environment, Laughter and happiness with all employees.
Cons
Dangrerous working equipment that is to be cautious at all times while on site.
5,0
Good when it comes to the quality of the products and the targeds the management set.
GRANDMAN (Former Employee) –  Nelspruit, Mpumalanga5 May 2016
It was always enjoyable to work at sappi and the management was supportive and the co-workers was good. What I have learn is that when you work as a team even when the job is difficult, it can become easy. Then I make me belief in a team work. The management was always providing us with funds to further our studies and the hardest part of my job it was not easy to explain where a knife grander belongs as my job title. I am having 12 years working as a knife grander with qualifications at mechanical engineering and human resources but where this experience can take me to as I was honesty and loyalty in my job.
Pros
Cons
12 Hours
Reliable
Shift Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Ngodwana17 April 2016
. Good
. I've learned a lot even business strategies
. Management is fair
. Co-workers its a team culture
. Disciplining employees
. Its fun and has challenges
Pros
Production tokens
Cons
Stable hours
5,0
Enjoyable workplace, open to daily learning
Raw Materials Tester (Former Employee) –  ZN21 October 2015
The whole workplace is suitable for people who want to learn more. The place has kind and supportive management at all levels.
Colleagues are a type of people who treat each other equally, regardless of their backgrounds.

The most enjoyable part of the job is learning new things as well as research.
Pros
Overtime Meals
Cons
Overtime
5,0
maximum productivity, smartness and speed
creditors clerk (Current Employee) –  Durban, ZN12 October 2015
everyday at work is challenging educational and fun,

I have learnt to work efficiently and productively under any amount of pressure and yet enjoy and find something some skill to acquire each day.

we were a diverse group of people with different cultures, beliefs and personalities, I have learnt to accept, respect and embrace every one as they are and ensure that I keep the environment as peaceful as possible.

the most challenging part is when you do not get feedback and cooperation from the other side and as a result risk deadlines and the good image of the company and your credibility yet be as professional and calm as possible.

the most rewarding part of my job is when you get a get call from a satisfied management and of customers and recommendations to our company because of the job well done by our department,
Pros
employee of the month recognition
5,0
very productive and a learning curve
Electrical Foreman (Current Employee) –  Springs, GP1 July 2015
I'm a hard working person get on well with all co workers have worked in several countries on mines and for American Military in Iraq. worked as a Electrical Supervisor and on Management board, I have picked up vast experience in the years gone past as well working with people from all denominations in the world
I enjoy my job and love passing on knowledge to my workers, I also started a training centre in Iraq for Electricians to get them up to date with the Electrical code of practice and on how to work safely, I believe that no job is too important that it cannot be done safe this is my motto.
Pros
pension fund and privident health care
Cons
sallary on the low side
5,0
The best company in the lowveld
Production Superintendant (Former Employee) –  Ngodwana19 April 2015
Team work Planning skills and management skills Training skills The company is one of the best i have worked for in my life that was why i had a total of 30 years service with them
Pros
Understanding company
High Production
Stock controller (Former Employee) –  Stanger, ZN17 February 2015
SAPPI was a job experience that was great since the people there knew their job and all the equipment was available. Processes are short and help the people be able to do their jobs in a timely manner. Management is strict and deadlines are strictly complied with. The people there know their jobs like the back of their hands and are always willing to share their knowledge with those who want to learn
Caring, productive work environment
Junior Paper Maker (Former Employee) –  Springs, GP16 February 2015
Each employee know exactly what their job is. Good team work, good learning opportunities. The management team is very active in the running of the mills day to day process. Your team members are like family and good support system. The hardest part about my job was when i had to leave. The best part was going to work everyday.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Not a lot of growth potential
5,0
every one part of the big family
instrument mechanician (Current Employee) –  Springs, GP11 December 2014
A very good company to work for especially when training. Both management and employees will go extra mile for a good course.
When there is a breakdown in your section and you start converting time lost into monetary terms is very hard. When you wipe your tools after a job well done
Pros
Always somethingn new to learn
Cons
Mill not expanding but shrinking
4,0
Good company to work for.
Rigger (Former Employee) –  ZN21 June 2014
General Rigging and Hoist ropes maintenance.
Shaft work.
Good management team.
Co- workers have team spirit.
Replace Hoist ropes.
Leading a good team.
Place to always work in
Mechanical Maintenance(Technician In Training) (Former Employee) –  Nelspruit, MP3 December 2013
My day will start early morning meeting Where we discussed the accomplishment of yesterday and planning for the day ahead of us which simplifies one's day. The most important thing is planing which helps one to know what spare does he have to attach the job and if they are enough. Communication is always the key in every work place which prevent breakdowns and help in managing things. the people I have worked with the are easy to accept they mistakes if there is one and that was helping me to do the same to them and the job continues smoothly. the hardest part is when the production management and the maintenance does not agree to some schedule because all team are looking at the company's best interest. the most enjoyable moment about my position is at all time because this is what I wanted to do since forever therefore I never feel out of place.
Pros
Each day is a learning curve
Cons
some days are too rest full.
4,0
Productive and fun working place
Dispatch Clerk (Former Employee) –  Logistics31 January 2013
.When you have to give orders and being ingnored
. i've learned to work hard to meet m target and working as a team
.Very co-operating management
.Team spirit
.When its dry and have to meet the target more especially at night
.Being a Peer Educator at Sappi helped me a lot to learn things that i didn't know about chronic deases
Pros
when we have excelled
Cons
long hours when my mate didn't pitch for work
productive
stock controller (Former Employee) –  springs28 September 2012
we worked as a team
i have learned to appreciate the best that my team members are doing
the management was so supportive and encouraging
every body knows what he was there to do
the hardest thing was when we loose a production
when everything is running smooth and we are breaking the records
Proffesional workplace
MECHANICAL ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  MPUMALANGA30 July 2012
Very busy project schedule. Learnt project execution on time within budget and without risk to people . Professional management. Hard working and committed co workers. The hardets part of the job is finding your own way through with minimum supervision. Lots of learning opportunities.
Pros
accomodation
Cons
limited training opportunities and career advancement
Productive and busy workplace
Electrician (Former Employee) –  East Rand - various companies30 July 2012
Get plant started and productivity going- immediate availability on fault finding on machinery. Managed to obtain alot of experience trhough the years. Enjoy management position ( chargehand) in certain companies.
Hardest part of the work? Not having proper spares or NO SPARES- but can improvise just untill the correct spares is ordered.
Enjoyable part of the job?- Knowing you succeeded in what you got up to do in the first place- deadlines were met -machinery all in running order- productivity!!!-Getting problems solved.
Pros
further studies
Cons
long hours -shifts
No Comment
Turner (Current Employee) –  Mandeni6 June 2012
A typical day at work is stressful because no one knows what expect next. Do I have a job tomorrow?

Here all I have learned was about paper making machines. Not anything about what is in line with my tasks.

Management is mostly trying to defend themselves when something in their area of responsibility goes wrong.

90% of my co-workers feel the same as me and we always tried to make the best in all situations.

The hardest part of my job was always to obtain materials for manufacturing parts as the purchasing system is not user friendly.
The most enjoyable part was when we break tensions, for me to work under pressure and proof my capabilities and at the end, meeting up for a braai to break tensions.
Pros
some of our benefits was positive
Cons
loss in income