Sappi

Sappi Management reviews

4,0
A great environment to train and grow within the engineering vicinity.
Engineer in Training (Electrical) (Current Employee) –  Stanger, KwaZulu-Natal15 October 2019
I have learnt the maintenance aspect of engineering and how important it is in the manufacturing industry. I have gained emotional intelligence by working with different people across a spectrum of cultures and workmanship. Challenges I have faced is integrating from the University environment into the working environment. I enjoyed mostly the handling of projects as it teaches you a lot of things about engineering and project management.
5,0
Productive and fun work environment
Internship (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng6 October 2019
The company is very great with great opportunities and growth with regards to career wise and management system is great.I really had a productive year.
2,0
Yes productive but there's no motivation at all
Fitter (Former Employee) –  KwaDukuza, KwaZulu-Natal22 August 2019
Sappi is a nice place to work but if both management and people on the floor they can meet up.
The management always complaining about the budget versus the work to be completed
Pros
Yes free lunch
Cons
Not really sure
5,0
An amazing and progressive company
Key Accounts Manager (Former Employee) –  Gauteng23 March 2019
Sappi recognizes its employees effort and rewards acordingly.
the company is progressive and has transformed with time .
A fun and enjoyable place to work. A great cultured existed of trust and respect and integrity.
The hardest part of the job was people management .
THe most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with customers
Pros
Lunch subsidy
4,0
Good company to work for
MAINTENANCE PLANNER - PM (Former Employee) –  SAPPI TUGELA MILL1 January 2019
Sappi is very good company to work for and Most of my learnings was gained at SAPPI Tugela Mill.
I served my apprenticeship with this company and it is because of this company that I am where I am now with a wealth of knowledge and experience
Pros
Employee and safety focussed
Cons
Management top heavy and floor staff low
5,0
Very productive with high safety standards
Digester Outside Operator (Former Employee) –  Nelspruit, Mpumalanga3 November 2018
Highly qualified management
Qualified operators
High competition
Lot of opportunities-promotions
Good company accommodation and transportation
Market related salary
Pros
Good accomodation
Cons
Cold
4,0
very productive and time out
Forestry Manager (Former Employee) –  South Africa27 October 2018
Sappi had a good working culture, i learnt that good management and team player makes good production. fire fighting was the hardest part of working in Sappi. the most enjoyable was the support from management.
Pros
Support from Management
Cons
Fire fighting
Excellent company
Civil Engineer (Former Employee) –  Mpumalanga, KwaZulu-Natal26 September 2018
Good culture get things done, Project management is the Best in this company. Good workmates, healthy environment for productivity. They allow individual growth very well.
Pros
Project Management systems are excellent
Cons
People don't quit good companies but the quit the management of that time.
3,0
productive and fun workplace
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  eThekwini, KwaZulu-Natal27 August 2018
There is no much pressure on most position on the mill although there is too much to learn especially in the plant. It a privilege to work on this position since i got so exposed to many things. On the management side i thing there are doing right on their duty. As i have said there's no pressure or greater challenges, things always runs smooth. I need a new adventure that will bring more challenge.
Pros
Transport allowance
Cons
Healthcare
4,0
New challenges every day in a climate of high percentage of crime
Security Manager (Former Employee) –  Mandini South Africa21 August 2018
A day start with inspections of all staff and work areas and feed back of all incidents and accidents, then reporting that to senior management.

Then investigating all incidents and thefts. Meeting with all local authorise and opening criminal cases if necessary.

Success at the end of a successful investigation and to know that you stopped a criminal from future crimes is the most enjoyable part of anyway.
Pros
Freedom to do my work
1,0
Good exposure poor treatment of employees
Engineer in training (Former Employee) –  Umkomaas, KwaZulu-Natal1 August 2018
management often makes promises and uses employees with no concern for their well-being leading to demotivation and disgruntlement.
Politics are very bad, where good workers are often disregarded due to management having personal relationships with others.

Lots of work to be done and very good working experience for cv
Pros
wide variety of job experience available
Cons
poor hr policies and employee engagement
Effective work
Learning development (Former Employee) –  From Home31 May 2018
I was a contract worker so therefor I could not ave job security or any benefits.

I was very happy working for Sappi as they have overall good management and they are very trustworthy. There is a good job culture and for that reason I would go back working for them as soon as I can.
Pros
Working on own time
4,0
Comunication with workers makes it enjoyable at work.
Senior boiler operator (Former Employee) –  Umkomaas, KwaZulu-Natal3 February 2018
For me communication is a big factor in the work place. Between management and workers then there will be a friendly and safe environment at work. I learned a lot with the time ive been at Sappi and team work is important! Work culture was awesome! Hardest part of my work, to be honest there wasn't! I enjoyed everything about my job from the time I start work until I go home!
Pros
Going for courses
Cons
Working in heat!
1,0
Incompetent Managment Sappi Ngodwana
Engineering team Member (Current Employee) –  Nelspruit, Mpumalanga25 January 2018
Incompetent management,you only receive promotions if you drink and braai with the right people or if your Daddy is a boss here .

Management and HR are constantly reviewing new ways to steal your money .
Pros
Nice village/company housing
Productive and Focused place
In-service Trainee (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng16 January 2018
The company as a whole is focused and result driven. It is a research company/branch. A typical day for me usually consisted of planning and prioritizing since I dealt with projects. After a while though the work became routine but the work still required and observant eye and an out of the box thinking.

I learned how to prioritize and plan out projects (I am forever thankful for that). I also learned how to work with different kinds of people and be in sync with other people's energies. This instilled a a whole new form of patience and understanding.

It is a professional work place and therefore professionalism was required, something I learned from the job and from management and everyone else. My superiors were and are very professional, mindful and understanding of experience level. They were helpful and encouraging.

The hardest part about the job was consistency and the accuracy of the results (well it was hard at first, but not so much as time went on). I had to adjust, and quickly in order to deliver.

I enjoyed my entire experience at SAPPI, EVERYTHING! All the adjusting, the ambiance of the workplace, the different people, the actual work I had to do (I LOVE lab work). I am grateful of the experience I was granted.
Pros
Opportunity to complete my Diploma. Free lunches, sometimes
Cons
Low stipend (From the university)
Productive and Demanding
Condition Monitoring Technician (Former Employee) –  Sappi Durban South Africa15 November 2017
Upon arrival at work set up PC load analyzers for engineering personnel, analyse vibration data take follow up readings and compile reports for engineering personnel and management.
Attend to numerous calls for plant and workshop problems and surveys utilizing different technologies and equipment.Hardest part of the job was to make engineering personnel understand the faults diagnosed and most enjoyable part of the job was confirming that the diagnosis was correct.
5,0
it was a great place to work and live.
Secretary to HR HOD Mr Klopper (Former Employee) –  Sappi Nigodwana14 November 2017
it was a great place to work.
the facilities were fantastic and the management of the village was outstanding.
sport facilities were really great and the company had so much to offer the staff. work conditions were really wonderful .
Pros
everything was close by = work and people
Cons
the Baboons and monkeys were scary
Fun place to work for
Laboratory Foreman (Former Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape13 October 2017
Daily quality assurance and quality control. However, short-staffed in many instances. Coached unskilled workers to do skilled work.
Lots of internal training. Recognition of prior learning for unskilled workers. Staff skills assessment. Weekly and Monthly water usage calculations on excel. Management of effluent plant. Writing of SOP's. Daily laboratory management. Not worked long before they moved to Johannesburg.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
Too much gap between skilled and unskilled labour
Productive and safety workplace
Process Operator(trainee) (Former Employee) –  Mandeni, KwaZulu-Natal17 August 2017
I'm looking for a safety and productive workplace.the management must work with it workers so that they can be able to communicate if there is any problem that they are not happy with in the working area
Pros
Free uniform
Cons
Overtimes
Plumber (Former Employee) –  Springs, Gauteng5 July 2017
Always busy. Learned a lot about pulp screens. Management was orginised. Do call outs and work overtime a lot. Get the jobs done. Doing standby for production to run smooth.
Pros
Exstra money
Cons
To build the company