SAPREF Employee Reviews

Petrochemical industry is interesting
Contractor in various roles (Former Employee) –  Durban South Africa28 February 2019
I held various contract positions over a 9 year period - it was arewarding time as i got to learn a lot from the various dept's I worked - i even had depts fighting over me which made me feel very special and appreciated.
Pros
Flexible hours
Productive and condusive
Communications Intern (Former Employee) –  Isi25 January 2019
A day in this company is typically busy yet you enjoy the time you spend with your colleagues. this is where i did my internship program and i believe that the opportunity i was granted by this company is crucial in my future Endeavours .

the company also takes time to assist employees unlock their potential by enforcing and implementing the succession plans, the HR team continuously ensure that managers at all levels adhere to this.
Productive and Strict
Process Technician (Former Employee) –  eThekwini, KwaZulu-Natal2 August 2018
Healthy and Safety on site is so good and a very good company to work for. A lot of the time safety comes first ten carry out your job. Also good incentives working scheme
Pros
Saftey
Cons
Long Shift Hours
Challenging but Exciting Enviroment
Mechanical & Electrical Buyer (Current Employee) –  Durban8 March 2018
SAPREF is defiantly a place to look forward to going to every day. Each day poses a new challenge which I love. The excitement of shutdowns and urgent request is what I enjoy and which is what keeps my day going.
I have learnt allot from managing task and delivering under pressure.
During the shutdowns I had the opportunity of having a team under me which gave me the management experience I needed. Great to know that we delivered a successful shutdown year in and out.
The people at SAPREF are amazing to work with and defiantly all very helpful.
The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I have satisfied all my customers at the end of the day meeting all the refinery demands.
Pros
The perks
Cons
The long hours during the Shutdowns
5,0
i am a hard worker . And i love working.
Assistant at a construction (Former Employee) –  Isipingo Beach, KwaZulu-Natal20 February 2018
A typical day work
i've learned Manangement
the most enjoyable part is i got paid at time
i'm a hard worker
i can work up to 14 hours a day
i love working for my money even how hard is it
i can work overtime everyday if needed to do so
Pros
i don't have lunch time i work hard
Cons
12 hours a day
3,0
Very strict about safety
Rotating equipment mechanic (Current Employee) –  Durban south28 November 2017
Sapref is a great place to work some people make it a worth while place while others not so much to grow in sapref depends on you and the opportunity is there
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Very strict
5,0
High paying company and friendly environment
Laboratory Chemist (Former Employee) –  Durban13 October 2017
Company is very welcoming and friendly. Workload sometimes is too much for one person to handle and this results in safety and quality being compromised.
Pros
Free lunches, gifts, incentives
Cons
Short breaks, working on weekends, less promotions
Productive and fun workplace
Vacation Work (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal7 August 2017
My project undertaken involved the monitoring of Energy performance on a unit level. I learned about the different processes on the SAPREF plant as well as new computer software.
Productive and fun place
Electrical Trainee (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal28 June 2017
Sapref is good company but when if you working there you need to be vigilant,focused at all time because it is a dangerous place with dangerous chemicals that can kill you like H2S,LEL,CO nd Nitrogen,work safe is the only way,follow the rules and regulations,wear full ppe all the time.if you are not sure stop and ask.
Pros
Free tea
Cons
Long hours if there is breakdown or shutdown
4,0
Extremely safety concious workplace (with good reason) good working environment.
Oracle Functional Consultant (Former Employee) –  Amanzimtoti, KwaZulu-Natal2 May 2017
I worked as a contractor for SAPREF, their offices are located in KZN and I'm based in Pretoria. I was allowed to work remotely from my House and do scheduled visits to the site.

It is a very interesting site, they have many rules and strict policies to ensure one's safety.

I get more done when working remotely (minimizing time travelling), and I enjoyed that a lot, but it comes with some challenges. Communication for example, you can not run over to check something quickly with the customer, most of the communication is telephonically or via email, sometimes you do not get a response on email.

But it also forces you to have your documentation in perfect order.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Long hours / but fixed price contract.
Planned maintainance jobs execution
Instrument Mechanician apprentice qualified (Current Employee) –  KwaZulu-Natal9 March 2017
Planned jobs are given to us by the supervisors which they follow a plan on Pacer meaning the jobs that are loaded on the pacer system by the production team for job executions. When working on the instruments in the process area , work permit for that particular job has to be given to you by authorised permit issues , at Sapref safety is the number one priority. Instrumentation is not the simple because inorder for you to do the job you need to know the process in which the instrument is measuring once knowing that you can do the job whether its temperature, level , pressure , flow, challenging part is when you trip the plant which then upsets the other units in the refinery
Pros
safety gifts for achieving 1 million safe working hours with no injury to people on site
Cons
when refinery shutdowns
n/a
Instrument Technician (Former Employee) –  ispingo2 February 2017
A very fast paced environment with deadlines. As an Instrument Mechanic I really enjoyed the logic side of my work and the challenges it created to work harder.
Pontuality
Maintenance Artesan (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal17 December 2016
One thing i like the most at sapref was the habit to be pontual, and been keen to learn also helps to achieve such goals.
learning from the most experience guys we were working with made me be what i am today, open mind to face new challenges
Pros
30 minutes
Cons
1 horas
5,0
productive and fun place to work at
Apprentice Fitter (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal12 May 2016
:work under pressure and be a team leader in some other cases and also be responsible for the actions we take especial to secure the safety of colleagues a ensure ring ppe is worn at all times.
:be dedicated and punctuality plays a very important role, be trustworthy, inspect your work before
:be trustworthy to your collugues,team members and respect one another and work as a team to ensure the task is completed and time is money.
:safety first to co-workers and work as a team
;work under pressure and where you find that part are not ready for being installed or wrong part were ordered or misaligned.
:being a team player and making a mark on the job and safe precaution being taken
Pros
when working overtime free lunchies provided or being on a stand by
Cons
long overtime
productive, friendly environment
Electrical Trainee (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal21 April 2016
Great company to work for and learn from.Thoroughly enjoyed my time spent there and I wud jump at the oppurtunity to work in such an environment agian.
Pros
rewarded for working safely
Cons
Not enough responsibility given to the learners
5,0
there is club house for worker to work out, bar to hangout
Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal8 February 2016
They were paying me well, and I loved working there. Sadly its was for a project that ended. My contract was a fixed contract.
Pros
subsidies lunch everyday
Cons
12 hours
Great
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Durban, ZN14 November 2015
Was an amazing experience working at SAPREF, the people were all friendly, and there is a lot to be learned. I learned how important inspection is for safety, and planning is for completing on time.

The hardest part of the job is working during shutdown phases as there is tremendous pressure, yet it was still exciting, and to be honest it was more exciting to wake up to go to work during the execution of the shutdown (Turnaround), than during the plan and preparation phase.

The most enjoyable part, was the whole team across the site being rewarded for safety. While the job is important, it is more important to go home safely to our families every day.
Good to work for
Construction supervisor (Current Employee) –  Durban, ZN31 October 2015
The company is a good to work for in terms of career development.

The Intergrety team is more supporting and provides guidance when required.
Hospitality
vacation students (Former Employee) –  Durban, ZN27 August 2015
My first day at Sapref kept me wondering if l was really still on planet earth. The welcome we were embraced with is out of this world. The staff at large is friendly. Maybe the environment added more fun, the geographical location, infrastructure inclusive. One is driven to be engaged in a particular tasks because of the hospitality you will be given. l fully enjoyed working with my supervisors, chief engineers, they gave their time to teach us. Our workplaces were very user friendly and conducive. Everyday at Sapref was memorable one.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short lunch
Productive and safety caucious Place
Senior Process Technician (Current Employee) –  Durban, Kwazulu Natal19 July 2015
SAPREF is a place where safety is a number one priority and the rest follows. Always striving to stand out as the best crude oil refinery in South Africa.
Pros
discounted meals and free sometimes etc
Cons
long hours, hard work, esp during shutdowns.