Services SETA Employee Reviews

Developmental
Employee Relations - Specialist (Current Employee) –  Parktown, Gauteng17 October 2019
Research and advice, training and workshops
Ccma representations and disciplinary and grievance handling, attending to collective bargaining engagements with the union.
Pros
Career development
Cons
Long distance from home
Productive and Fun enviroment
Intern Administrator (Current Employee) –  East London, Eastern Cape16 September 2019
Assisting stakeholders with the accreditation process and bursary queries.
I have learnt alot as an intern, working with different people everyday. I have gained confidence in report writing and delivering precise work. I have an intense work ethic, punctual, reliable and dependable. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that i have delivered quality service to our stakeholders at Services SETA.
5,0
Very Productive and mostly fun but can be very stressful at times
Senior Officer (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng17 June 2019
It is great environment to work in, especially if you are passionate about skills development in South Africa.
Though growth prospects and advancements are very limited.

Each day will be typical different to the other. Other days are easier than other.
We deal a lot with learner queries.The workplace culture is very nice and upbeat where you interact with people at different levels.
The hardest part of my job, now being able to resolve any queries simply because i have to rely on others for information.
The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that by resolving queries and doing my job i am helping others especially the youth who rely mainly on us funding their internships, learnerships and bursaries.
Pros
Not working over weekends
Cons
The might be some extensive travelling at times
1,0
They funding skills training programs
APPRENTICESHIP BOILERMAKING (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg North, Gauteng10 April 2019
They are our employer but they only register the apprentice program.oversee the program.pay our monthly stipends.the training provider then take over for 6months then send us to host employer for full 18months gaining experience
Pros
Cons
Normal hours
4,0
Non-toxic working environment, enjoyable team
Provincial Officer (Former Employee) –  Bloemfontein, Free State24 August 2018
my typical day at work was very busy and productive.

what I have learned was how to communicate with stakeholder effectively and efficiently, be patient, going the extra mile.

Management was never consistent when coming to office issues

workplace culture- we had values and beliefs and behaviours

hardest part of the job - not be able to assist a stakeholder

most enjoyable - seeing a stakeholder happy in achieving something
Pros
trips to see stakeholders
Cons
monthly reports
okay
Finance Intern (Former Employee) –  Parktown, Gauteng14 August 2018
It was just pure fun and great to have worked for the service seta. I know really have much to say. I was an intern looking for experience in the Finance sector and I got just that.
4,0
Enhancing people's lives through Vocational Training.
Working at the Services SETA was exciting to wake up and get out of bed in the morning. you knew you were going to participate in giving someone the opportunity to add more value to their life through a learnership, a Training Course or employment possibility.

I have learned that you don not have to have all the qualifications and degrees to be passionate about the kind of work that you have to do at the Services SETA. I have learned how to balance my life while working and "playing". I have learned that the sky is the limit for what ever your dreams and ambitions may be.

As a manager I was focused an reaching targets, instilling a commitment within the staff that reported to me that they have to conduct themselves diligently and put as much effort in their work so that they may grow academically. We had regular meetings with regards to new developments and requirements as indicated within my CV.

My colleagues respected me as I treated them with respect and always maintained a professional relationship within the workplace. It is because of the commitment and respect of my colleagues that I was able to always reach my targets and deadlines.

The Hardest part of my job was disciplining a staff member, and having to choose between staff members for special events and advances. I have done so with dignity and extreme consideration for the organisation rules and regulations and the law.

The most enjoyable part of my job was when we prepare for a graduation ceremony. When you treat Domestic Workers and Prisoners like Royalty! When you hand them the certificates and
  more... say "Congratulations, you have done well and you have gainful employment because of this certificate"!  less
Pros
The Freedom to create new oppertunities ...
Cons
Having to deal with Superiors personal and hidden agendas
Calm environment loving people
Receptionist/ Administrator (Former Employee) –  Parktown, Gauteng9 December 2015
Dealing with mlti-cultured people and from all walks of life
I learnt to be more patient and multi-tasking
Management was fair
Co-workers were happy people
Having to intervene and solving quiries of angry consumers
Most enjoyable part was the ability to switch in-between roles
Pros
Learning more languages
Cons
Position was temp
Skills development
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, WC3 July 2015
I do Administrative work and jobs which are not in my job description. However this gave me the confidence to learn and widen my knowledge on skills development. My manager was very keen on teaching and allowing me to go to learner Inductions, monitoring visits and to attend career expo's on behalf of the company. Being on the road meeting stakeholders at their businesses and not being office bound made my job interesting.
The hardest part was when we at regional level are not recognised for our potential and hard work by Head office and we are treated as mere administrators.
My co-workers in the office work as a team and we are one happy family. I have never come across a team as the one I work with daily.
5,0
Very fun and productive organisation
Accounts Payable Administrator (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, GP20 December 2014
I really enjoyed being at Services SETA. It is a very nice organization, I love my job very much it thought lot of things like professional communication, dealing with unhappy suppliers and so forth. I had the best colleges they were so good to me they thought me so much and the management was also good people to work with.
Very busy workplace
Senior Complliance/Quality assurance Manager (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, GP2 January 2014
typical day also started with planning of the days activities.
Then proceeded to my mailbox, which gave it's fair share of problems which needed to be resolved.

As Senior Manager, I worked with excellent people.

The CEO was "THE ULTIMATE MENTOR"

The hardest part of the day was not being able to get to all the "tasks" I have set myself to accomplish.

Most enjoyable part of the job was to see the success of what I have achieved and implemented
Pros
Excellent remuneration
Cons
working with people who do not share your passion and drive
1,0
SSETA Culture is worse than Government it does not prompt excellence and creativity the former CEO shoes are too big to be filled, lack of vision and
National Media Liaison Officer (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, GP25 September 2013
. typical day = politics, corridor talks, gossip
. nothing except the government procurement process
. Management = Lack of vision, can’t make decisions just there for meetings all day long
. Co- workers = typical demonstration of DA and ANC in the 1970
. Hardest Part of the Job = no buy in from all angles, lack of understanding of the mandate hence no delivery
. Nothing is enjoyable with this place, sabotage is the name of the game
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
No Work
Career advancing, energetic
Manager: Audit and Financial Services Compliance (Current Employee) –  GP29 July 2013
- Daily activity: Follow up on audit recommendations, training on a newly approved policy, labelling of a newly procured asset, reconciliations ,reporting and management meetings, research on newly developed legislative requirements
- What i learn: how to deal with different people from diverse cultures, improve my interpersonal skills and handle conflicts.
- Management: Presentations, decision making and supporting of others
- Hardest part of the job: being seen like an auditor, colleagues not providing supporting evidence for their responses to audit issues, requesting the same information from the same person over and over again
enjoyable part: being able to get the message across to the other person, getting issues resolved to an extent they do not reoccur, successfully putting measures in place
Pros
Skills uplifment
Cons
Licensed to run upto 2016
Productive and supportive environment
SSEA/SME Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, WC8 June 2013
*Fast-paced- however at certain times.
*Experience of Human Resources Field- first company i worked for; where i went up the ranks from Assistant to Junior Management.
Pros
Productive and supportive environment. Plus shut down in December
Cons
Victimisation from some managers
2,0
It is a fair enviroment
Human Resources Officer (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg16 January 2013
I have been working with the company for 6 and half years. I have learned a lot which include interperonal skills which have been improved.
Pros
good working hours (08h00- 16h00)
Cons
too much politics and no carrer growth
3,0
Challenging and hard work
KZN: Administrator (Current Employee) –  Durban9 January 2013
Its always a busy day at the office. Deadline to meet and quiet often alot of site vettings. Patience and positive attitude gets you through your difficult days. Always a pleasure to be at the office as my co-workers always assist one another, when timeframe for deadlines is short. I enjoy spending my 8 hours at the office because of the humor and fun we have even though the days are hectic.
Pros
team building exercises
Cons
no formal channel of communication from head office to regions
Demanding role
EXECUTIVE PA (Current Employee) –  JOHANNESBURG30 December 2012
* Customer services (internal and external)
* New industry - still learning more about the company
* Professional
* Understanding the culture and management style
* Unable verify the queries
* Challenging and learn daily
Pros
deal with clients
Cons
stressful