Smiggle UK Employee Reviews

Disfunctional
SM (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom12 July 2019
The worst retail brand I have worked for in my 18 years in retail. A completely inept Area, Regional team. A brand that makes panic decisions which are then poorly executed. Managers work long days long weeks sacrafice days off to keep their stores running with no work life balance and the promise of it will get better. This is the most ironic brand out there... a smile and a giggle..... NO THANKS.
Pros
Product smells nice
Cons
Disorganised and couldn't care less about people.
Nasty place 2 work. No secuirty and nobody cares about you
Manager (Former Employee) –  London 210 July 2019
I could write a 10,0000 dissertation on how disgusting and poor this company is. So many promo’s changing all the time, so much pressure. Brief change every 2 weeks, only get paid 1 hour after work to do it. They expect you to stay after work to do changes as if you don’t have a life outside of smiggle. Products falling over every 5 seconds. Customers returning items everyday. Higher management is so disgusting, treating staffs very poor. No appreciation when we get jobs done, only reply when we beat budget. VM’s need to calm down as they think they’re so superior. No security cameras in store. Could get stabbed but they will get ask whether we beat budget or not first. Company does not care about a single thing apart from MONEY. Staffs are so overworked and can’t even rest or talk. They think we are superhumans. I hope everybody leaves the company at the same time.

This company has no people skills from above. If you fall behind on set ups you get 101 phone calls and emails asking why your not following the promo check list, why are you not managing your time. The truth is you have 3 hours a day mon-friday with another team member the rest of the time you will be lone tradding. Need the loo? No chance. A customer needs something thats in the stock room but you can't leave the shop floor or will get in trouble as there is no security if somebody was to steal something within the time you've gone to the back and came back out. A normal day would be 1 hour worth of opening paper work in the morning then setting up and changing promtions that change nearly on a daily basis.
  more... You get constant calls for cover aswell. You will then do breif and delivery have your hour break . Then will be left to lone trade again till close where you have another 40mins of paper work and emials to send.No support what so ever unless you are a favourite. The Vm is extremely rude and toxic. She is the main reason i left the way i was spoken down too and treated was not on. I spoke with many managers and the issues i had with the vm about leaving constant mess, not pricing, talking down to me and my team, always leaving my stock room a mess and gaps on the shop floor and coming on sneakily on my days off because i said i didn't like the lack of support or the way she always left the store knowing we had to all finish her work the next day ontop of what we needed to do. was left in charge of the shop after 3 days of training! I got so unwell and stressed my hair started to fall out. I wish i could upload the pictures.

Please please find somewhere else the money is not worth your happiness. You will be physically, emotionally and mentally drained.
Pros
The team i worked with
Cons
Long hours, continuous stress, no support!
Worst workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rather not specify25 June 2019
If I had to define rude, uncultured, heartless and vindictive, that would be the store manager.
The ethos is a load of tripe with how it’s followed.

I worked here as Christmas staff and with a bad back, explained that I couldn’t lift weights. Nevertheless, I was constantly made to lift heavy deliveries, boxes of stock, and mess about rearranging the stock room.
Having physically causing myself an issue, and after taking advice from my doctor, I phoned in sick for that following day and explained why- only to be met with abuse on the phone. Quit the job then and there.

Oh and the woman working with me tried to frame me for theft on the first day, only I’d noticed the ‘sign goods in’ bit that no one had showed me so luckily I’d covered my own back
Pros
It’s colourful
Cons
Spiteful staff, told off for not smiling enough AND smiling too much, told off when people don’t want your upsell product, made to do everyones cleaning because they can’t be bothered to do their own
Avoid work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire22 June 2019

The hours were constantly taken away from people and given to management. I was on an 8 hour contract with a verbal guarantee that I would be able to get quite a few more hours on top, which was reinforced multiple times during the training period.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Not enough hours
fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Windsor, Berkshire19 June 2019
My typical day at work is serving customers and helping out with stock take. The most enjoyable part of the job is making customers happy with what they have been looking for.
Pros
helping customers out
Cons
low on stock
3,0
Awful management and no way of progressing
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Prefer not to say14 June 2019
First off it took them a month to get me into the role because HQ messed my application up, so that a sign that they're clearly a bit lacking up there.

Quite a high turnover of staff due to how shocking the place is really, had a few new started during my time there who left within 2 weeks. The second someone walks in the shop you have to be straight on them "Hiya guys, who are you shopping for today?" Which make both of you extremely uncomfortable, and god help you if the customer doesn't want to talk to you because then that's YOUR problem and YOUR in the wrong. Honestly it's one of the only shops I have been to other than showrooms that actively try their best to sell the customer overpriced plastic items that break constantly when they don't even need those items. "Oh you came in for a backpack?! Oh you definitely need the WHOLE set for £75 including a 5 for £5 on stationary because you don't want to be a terrible parent and deprive your Child of overpriced popular junk. Also here's an awful lamp that will break in 3 days and that isn't even bright for an extra £28" (seriously wish that was an overstatement.)

Regional manager has his favourites and if you're not one of them then you may as well toughen yourself up cause you're in for a constant talking to. Also you can't take your time to do your job right because they expect you run out with about 3 IKEA bags worth of replen in 5 minutes and have the store all clean and replened within 10 minutes, while talking to and serving customers and doing delivery on the shop floor.

The assistant manager constantly gets
  more... you to do all of the their work while you try to do yours which gets you into trouble later on, because they take all responsibility for everything you have done and every great idea you have and make it look like you've done nothing all day.

As for the chance to progress, if you're not a popular staff member then you can wave that goodbye.

The only pros of working here is the chance you get to occasionally talk to some really nice customers and the 50% discount.
Pros
50% discount on full price items
Cons
See above
3,0
Good if managed correctly.
Person in Charge (Former Employee) –  York2 June 2019
The people I worked with at Smiggle were lovely, but the management style was lax. The upper levels seem to have no idea how a store is actually run, and this is reflected in the targets set and the overall idea of the store. It is also difficult to price things and the way the discounts worked was difficult to explain, especially to children.
Fake happiness and Bad management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cumbria1 June 2019
The whole 'Smile with a giggle' is false representation. The environment is based on the concept of fake happiness.

The customers constantly complain about overpriced products which while you agree completely, you have to smile and apologise.

The management (especially regional manager) would always push you to be too friendly to the point where it would make customers uncomfortable and they would leave, then the management would complain that you couldn't get a sale out of them.

Almost every shift I worked the staff was pressured by management into buying a few small products so we could meet our daily sales target, which means that the better than minimum wage we got was being given right back to the company.

The only benefits you actually have are:
- a discount on overpriced stock, which makes it barely affordable
- a wage higher than the national living wage
Pros
Not minimum wage
Cons
Bad hours, management and environment.
Poorly ran, avoid.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  North West21 May 2019
This company won't last long. Turnover of staff is very high, which says everything. Little support, little training. Constantly changing layouts and what needs to be done. You'll be expected to travel to other stores as well, even if it takes many hours.
They'll plan offers for you to set up for, then change last minute.
If you're a sales advisor, you'll be on 3/4 hour shifts. Supervisor and above, you'll have hours and shifts changing all the time. Also be alone for many hours of the day.
No staff room, no toilets in a lot of places as well.
Probation actually lasts a year, so no job security, not that people stay that long...
Seriously avoid.
Pros
Progression, due to people leaving
Cons
Badly ran, poor work /life balance, overworked, no support .
Worst job of them all
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London7 May 2019
I could write a 10,0000 dissertation on how disgusting and poor this company is. So many promo’s changing all the time, so much pressure. Brief change every 2 weeks, only get paid 1 hour after work to do it. They expect you to stay after work to do changes as if you don’t have a life outside of smiggle. Products falling over every 5 seconds. Customers returning items everyday. Higher management is so disgusting, treating staffs very poor. No appreciation when we get jobs done, only reply when we beat budget. VM’s needs to calm down as they think they’re so superior. No security cameras in store. Could get stabbed but they will get ask whether we beat budget or not first. Company does not care about a single thing apart from MONEY. Staffs are so overworked and can’t even rest or talk. They think we are superhumans. I hope everybody leaves the company at the same time.
Pros
50% discount, great team
Cons
No overtime paid, understaff, long hours, pressure
5,0
Fun and enthusiastic place to work!
Casual Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Plymouth24 April 2019
My team are like my second family, we all get a little competitive to meet set targets and goals but it’s this that makes it so enjoyable! Management are brilliant and very supportive!
Pros
Brilliant working environment
Cons
Low contracted hours
Don’t get sucked in!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London22 April 2019
The pay may be great but they feed you this lie that it’s all fun and games to work here but the reality is you lone trade, there’s no toilet or water facilities and there’s so many “black out” periods in a year you struggle to take holiday or get moaned at if your day off falls on a bank holiday!
Stay away
Pros
Money is good
Cons
It’s all a sick joke
Great fun place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire14 April 2019
Smiggle is a really good place to work!
You are offered the chance to go and work in other stores to see how they work and gain more Smiggle experience.
4,0
Its a good place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  No comment11 March 2019
Doesn't follow contract agreement.
Good place to work if you want to do mixed hours.
Very colourful and pretty, but the smell can make you feel sicky.
This is a child friendly place to be.
The staff are very kind hearted and wonderful to work with, they are supportive and helps well with training.
You can have any hair colour you want and over do the make up and be happy of how you look.
Pros
No.comment
Person In Charge (PIC) (Current Employee) –  preston26 January 2019
Brilliant advancement opportunities if you are there in the right place at the right time, 50% discount on all items, staff will give you the most hours possible. HR and offers team is a bit sloppy, telling about new offers on that day and changes that need to be made in the store at 8:30 for a 9am start when other stuff is needed to be done, sometimes the offers do not show on the system so it all has to be added manually. Short hours if only on part time contract, and there are currently no extra hours at all so will have to look for other work.
Great staff, always friendly and approachable, first employer I have ever worked for where you actually feel like a team, great manager and regional manager.
Pros
great staff, good discount
Cons
short hours
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Whiteley, Hampshire26 January 2019
The staff here are fantastic, they make me enjoy work and we all get on so well and I wouldn't change them for the world. We get to play with the toys and give the customers abit of entertainment.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Not enough hours for me too work.
3,0
Good startout management job. Easy to progress to management, but nothing beyond.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Essex16 January 2019
Smiggle, for the first year of my role was a fantastic job with opportunities thrown at me. However, upper management only care about profit, and making money. They have increasingly shown that over the years they care less and less about their staffs well-being and welfare.

The job in itself is so fun and rewarding, especially knowing you have made every child that has come into store, as happy as possible. You light up those children and it makes it feel really worthwhile.

This isn't an easy job. You have to constantly change over the layout of the store to keep up to date with all of the new product, but whilst doing this you're most likely lone trading for 4-6/9 hours of the working day. Meaning you cant actually get anything done due to being unable to get the stock you need. There's also alot of unpaid extra hours that you put in with nothing in return.

Staff don't want to stay working for you as hours are always being cut (which i personally think is completely understandable, who wants to work 4 or even less hours a week) And often our staff are college aged, meaning there's not much availability.

As long as you have a good team behind you, then its not the worst job in the world. But expect to work a lot of unpaid hours, with a salary that's under the national average.
Pros
5 weeks holiday, hour lunch break, other store managers are helpful and kind.
Cons
long unpaid hours, no sick pay, working xmas eve, boxing day and new years day
2,0
The definition of Sisyphus Syndrome
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London9 December 2018
Let me start by saying that the Store Assistants, Mangers and the current South London Area Manger are lovely people. They've all been nice to me and is purely why there's a second star. This is probably a great place to work for a month or so, but no longer than that.

Worker turnover is something ridiculous like 3 a month. I've been working for the company since the end of August and in my own store I've remained the only constant employee, and that's just for my own store. A 12 hour part-time contract will quickly become a 30-40 hour work week as Smiggle simply do not have the staff to cover each store.

Because the staff turnover is so high, not a lot of the employees working aren't trained in all the day-to-day runnings of the store (i.e cashing up, banking, processing delivery, opening and closing). This means the more experienced workers are forced to work more regardless of their contracted hours until new employees are up to speed, and that can take from 2 weeks to 2 months.

The layout of the store also changed every 2-3 weeks as new briefs get sent in with the new deals going. So once you've set up and settled to the new layout, everything has to be moved around and re-organised again. This isn't such a problem with bigger stores with on-site stockrooms, but in stores with off-site storage it quickly becomes arduous. Requesting smaller delivery sizes might be flat out ignored or take up to a month to action, but then you'll end up back to your original delivery size within a week.

Though management that actually interact with you are nice, the higher ups
  more... at head office don't seem to be listening to each individual stores needs; a smaller store will receive the same amount of stock in delivery as a bigger store who can handle and store more stock.

Smaller store assistants will often find themselves loan trading for long stretches of time and, if your store doesn't have toilet facilities or a break room, you'll find yourself having to close your store and face the inevitable angry customers when you get back.

Also the stores are just hard to work in due to their aesthetic and the mingling of all the scented products. The combination of white walls and bright vibrant reds, baby blues, purples, pinks, greens and other rainbowed and mixed colour schemes and the mandatory Smiggle radio becomes too much for most employees to work with and I often found myself either suffering mental exhaustion or sensory overload migraines. I've also had at least half of my customers complain about the aesthetic, thats not counting the people who just come straight in and then out again purely because they just can't stand it.

All in all, the people on the front lines are surprisingly lovely despite the amount they have to deal with. But with a head office and management who either don't seem to know or communicate or they just don't care about those running the stores. If you like hard but repetitive work in an environment that will cause sensory overload migraine then apply, but if not only apply if you're absolutely out of other options. It's not worth the just above minimum wage you'd get.
Pros
The people in store are great, consistency in requirements. Fun for a short stint
Cons
Forced into longer hours, repulsive store aesthetic, inattentive uppermangment that don't care about YOU as an individual
Nice, Fun place to work
Key holder (Former Employee) –  Merry Hill, West Midlands4 December 2018
I worked at smiggle for a couple months as a key holer. I was in charge of the shop when the manager wasn't there and loved every second. The children are so happy to walk in and see all the colourful bright stuff as much as the adults! I was fortunate enough to have a lovley manager who made me feel welcome starting from the moment I handed my CV in and offered me the job in the interview. She made sure I had full training before being in charge on my own and reasured me she was only a phone call away when she had a day off and I needed help.
Pros
Lovely in store manager
Cons
Not many hours
Fun
Person in Charge (Former Employee) –  London15 November 2018
Easy four hour shifts generally and a good staff discount of 50%. Although no chance of progression within the company, no support provided to reach a higher role.
Pros
Discount
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smiggle UK. Our community is ready to answer.

3,1