SOUTH AFRICAN AIRWAYS

SOUTH AFRICAN AIRWAYS Employee Reviews

Enjoyable but stressful
Team Leader - Group Sales (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng11 February 2020
A typical day at work will consist of clearing the Q for bookings that need to be confirmed and endorsed. Making sure all the staff are present and if not, checking to see what work they are holding for the day or that needs to be "worked" on. Going through emails and taking calls/making calls when necessary. Corresponding with revenue management for confirmation of bookings, inserting fares into the bookings. I have an awesome team of 7 staff, we get along well and have been together for 20 years. we work together as team and a lot of support is given whether it be work or personal. we have an amazing relationship with the agents/clients, we try and assist agents with securing the business for SAA (a lot of liaising internally).
The hardest part of the job is getting clients to travel on SAA when there are so many airlines competing out there.
Managing the leave and sick leave and filling in where possible.
The best park of the job is definitely building relationships with the agents.
Pros
Consessions for staff, SAA offers a pension and pays portion of medical aid
Cons
Cannot work flexi hours - travel agents only workiing from 9-17h00
4,0
Highly competitive and rewarding workplace
Ticket Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape10 February 2020
It is a highly competitive environment where customers have many flight options to choose from so you have to convince them that buying a ticket with you is the best decision they can make for their journey. Meeting new customers and helping returning ones is rewarding and fun.
Pros
Meeting new and different customers on a daily basis
Cons
Working on week-ends until late
produtive and enjoyable
sourcing specialist (Current Employee) –  Kempton Park, Gauteng22 January 2020
SAA is a good company, the work ethics are impeccable, you intact with managers it does not matter at what level they are.
the environment is such that you learn new thing everyday and about the business itself.
Pros
good learning inviroment
excellent company
shift controller (Current Employee) –  GOCC21 January 2020
everybody needs to work together, many a times you are left alone like nobody cares and nothing gets done about . Most individuals do as they please , hopefully things will change in the days to come.
Pros
great company to work for
Cons
long hours, work on weekends, shifts, and even night shift
Friendly and Fun
SAA RAMP AGENT (Current Employee) –  Kempton Park, Gauteng21 January 2020
Great work environment where you get to meet a lot of different people. Most people are very friendly and easy to work with. If you don't mind the weather then Outside is a great place to work.
Best company to work on
Instrument technician (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng14 January 2020
You learn each and every day,they always give you chance to learn on how to maintain, repair and troubleshoot all instruments equipments on an aircraft
4,0
When I worked for the airline, I had the opportunity to travel the world.
Relations Manager (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng14 January 2020
If you're intending to work for the airline, you need to be a people's person. Be able to think on your feet. Have organisational skills and focus. Be customer orientated.
4,0
The job entirely depends on your attitude. Respect your external ad well as internal customers.
Exposure to a multitude of cultures, people with different backgrounds and places was the most exciting part of the job because my education was infinite! Every day was a day full of possibilities. To enjoy this job you have to be open for anything that comes your way, but stand strong and be firm in your key performance areas. You are ultimately a safety officer and should never compromise the safety of those you are meant to protect and serve. Always go for a win-win solution than to discriminate or choose sides. Remember that word of mouth advertising sometimes bring in more revenue than paid advertising. Be honest and true to your company, but also to your customer.
Pros
Free traveling. Exposure to different cultures. Exclusive shopping. Meeting loads of people.
Cons
Long hours. Insufficient rest. Adapting to different time zones is difficult.
4,0
Great airline to work for
Captain (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng7 December 2019
Great people and airline to work for, management leaves a lot to be desired.
Due to the above reason (management) I am currently looking at other opportunities.
Great company
SEPT Trainer (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng25 November 2019
SAA has a lot of history and the people working here are great. I started as a Cabin crew member and worked myself up to training with the assistance of the company. I was equipped with the right skills and knowledge and now I am qualified.
Has its challenges
Executive Transformation (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng21 November 2019
Good people work there. They just need leadership training. The plans are done and everyone knows what needs to be done. Just let go and do it. Sometimes you need to spend your way out of a mess.
3,0
Fast paced with intense time constraints
CSA (Current Employee) –  Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape16 October 2019
Overall a fun place to work at. Always under pressure to meet deadlines in regards to flight departures. Culture within SAA is great when it comes to customer service, high levels of customer service is expected in Port Elizabeth
5,0
Productive and challenging working environment.
Sales and Marketing executive (Former Employee) –  South Africa27 August 2019
I plan marketing campaigns and develop strategies to convert leads. I learned the art of negotiation and working collaboratively. The job was fast paced and possed daily challenges requiring administrative and creative solution. The most interesting part of the job was we had to go to different locations to meet clients and develop regular tactics within timelines. Keeping creative juices going was on demand.
5,0
Productive and an amazing world environment
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Kempton Park, Gauteng25 August 2019
SAA wow, working there was like a dream. I love traveling so working there was a dream come true. Beautiful stuff to work with very professional management. I was happy to work there 😊
Pros
Travelling allowance
5,0
Highly challenging; Senior colleagues, peers and junior staff kept me on my toes. Customers insisted on high service standards they required
Manager Air Operations (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg19 August 2019
A typical day at SAA is to expect a different type of challenge daily. Some of the external issues in aviation exposes one to new dimensions on what you thought you knew. Management demanded high standards of each other and never ready to professionally engage on issues.Hardest part of the the job was lack of cooperation from other stations at times particularly where there is a third party representing the company. One enjoyed challenges and the ability to rise above them
Good working conditions
CSA (Current Employee) –  Kempton Park, Gauteng12 July 2019
I enjoy it as you have to meet people from different cultures and background. As a national carrier SAA employees are very kind and love their work. There is also growth opportunities and training are done almost year for the competitive aviation industry.
Pros
Free air tickets for me and family
Cons
Irregular operations
3,0
South African airways is fun and productive place to work with the staff is always friendly and management is approtiable
Ticketing agent (Former Employee) –  Park town5 July 2019
I believe it is a fun place to work at as you get to know different people and their languages a warm and welcoming environment with lot of assistant
Pros
A lot of free lunch
Cons
Night shift
5,0
its fun but mostly serious
cabin crew trainee (Former Employee) –  south africa johannesburg18 May 2019
south African airways is a fun place to work from but mostly business
they mean business most of the time
always have to be on time
they don't tolerate late coming.
Pros
free lunch for trainees
5,0
It's a very fun and productive company
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Kempton Park, Gauteng7 April 2019
We got to learn a lot when I was training at the company as a Aircraft Steel Structures apprentice. They taught us a lot about being very accurate with our work.
Pros
The work culture
Cons
Didn't get to complete my training
Travelling and Diverse Customer Experiences
Cabin Crew Member/Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  South Africa26 March 2019
You learn to value and appreciate the needs of the customers and offer great services that meet their requests and also go an extra mile to leave them with a fulfilled desire and a smile in their face at the end of the day.
Pros
Travelling Experiences
Cons
Unbalanced Family Life & Low Salary