South African National Parks Employee Reviews

Diverse work place and wilderness place
Biodiversity Manager: Biodiversity Social Projects (Current Employee) –  Phalaborwa, Limpopo18 January 2018
Learning at all time, experiencing new things and egger to learn new things as fast as possible. Know management structure and organisational culture on how things are done, mission and objective of the organisation. General Safety and surrounding. Equity policy and transformation policy, current performance and historical statistics, balance score card and performance management system.
Pros
Cons
Some time work over time or on standby
gained lot of experience in hospitality
Tele - Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  Gauteng15 November 2017
working 8hrs
working with clients and teamwork
work independently
study bursary for employees
every-time to consult before taking decision
work outing
Pros
Free accommodations
Cons
hard 8 hours
Excellent organisation
Project Administrator (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng8 August 2017
A typical day at work involves procuring of assets, tendering, HR procuring and booking of flights for committee members, budget monitoring & management.
Pros
self management and time management skills
Challenging and fun workplace
Environmental Monitor Admin (Former Employee) –  Addo Elephant National Park, Eastern Cape29 March 2017
It's undoubtedly a growth allowing work place. I have learned to be calm when working under-pressure. Meeting deadlines in time is now my daily bread.
Pros
A few Rands extra.
Cons
Over time
Good and productive working environment
Intern/Student (Former Employee) –  Skukuza, Mpumalanga9 February 2017
The working environment was good, everyday was a lesson, full of challenges and everyday learning. I learned a lot about conservation of natural resource and how individuals there are willing to an extra mile to protect and conserve our natural beauty. The management of SANPark is absolutely committed and willing to satisfy the needs of both its employees, communities and the environment. The was not hard or difficult because if a person loves what he/she is doing cannot find difficulty in the working environment. I enjoyed mostly being out in the field, being hands-on with the natural environment of the Kruger National Park.
A very happy and friendly place I wish to see every morning
TOURISIM INTERN (Current Employee) –  Wilderness, Western Cape13 October 2016
It is a good work place, productive with supportng body structure. Work collegues are also good they can take caare of one another. I enjoy working a lopt with clients and being at reception. As I have arrived here I learned a lot in how to balance work and your personal life.
Pros
Nature experience
Cons
Working on weekends.
Raw production based on targer
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Efp ficksburg free state4 October 2016
Working on raw production based on a target in a saw mills to make planks to contributed it to make school desk we also dry the wet planks with a kiln
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Conducive environment but low salary
Duty Manager-Orpen Rest Camp K.N.P (Former Employee) –  Mpumalanga18 August 2016
SANParks have Conducive environment, clear policies and procedures. Management has Supported, empowered, give staff exposure. Salaries were very low .
Pros
Encourage to grow
Cons
Staff well being is the priority
Factory Financial Officer (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng15 July 2016
Gained a lot of experience especially coming with the financial degree it helped me to gain experience and learn a lot in a business world.
Pros
functions invitations
Cons
leave days not essetial
Productive work environment
Project Accountant (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng7 July 2016
Being employed as a temporary worker for 13 years without benefits, is concerning as temporary employees leave with nothing. I've obtained many skills and have had great responsibilty ensuring all revenue is received, allocated and spent according budget specifications.
Pros
Cons
No room for development and higher education
Project management
Project Manager/Mill Manager (Former Employee) –  Graskop, MP8 January 2016
Every working day was different with different challenges. There was always problems which required speedy and effective solutions. Lesson learned is to always remember to breath and tackle the problems one at a time. Management support was absolute requirement for the success of the project could not have done it without them. Co workers was a blast to work with.
Hardest part of the job was also the human factor, the employees, you can not satisfied or make every one happy because difficult and tough decision needed to be made and implemented. Enjoyable part was to see the project coming to a reality.
Pros
Had the opportunity to travel around South Africa
Cons
Stressfull long hours
High level of professionalism and specialized job
Game Capture Assistant (Current Employee) –  Skukuza, MP17 March 2014
Waking up very early in the morning, mostly between 4 and 5 AM. I have obtained valuable knowledge about the capture and handling of wild animals as well as management of animals. I have also learnt how to manage time effectively. The management is very excellent and everything is well organized. The co-workers are highly experienced and self-motivated. Everyone knows what to do without any interference of a supervisor. The job is a high risk career and danger can arise from any moment. I enjoy when the capture operations go successfully and all animals are safe. I also enjoy travelling inside Kruger National Park in search of animals during a capture operation. I can say that game capture is the best job ever in conservation.
Pros
Exposure to dangerous wild animals which are normally seen on television
Cons
Extended hours and physically demanding
One of the best organizations to work for
Regional Supply Chain Management Practitioner (Current Employee) –  FS1 October 2013
Typical day at work starts with planned work and get more complex as we deal with more requisitions of which some are emergencies that one cannot put aside but attend to immediately.
I have learned that it is so possible to operate different offices in different provinces as I work for the region with parks that are in different provinces.
I have learned to appreciate the value of IT
I have learned to cope with the hardest part of the job - being able to deliver in all the parks regardless of the pressure, being efficient even where i am not stationed but still make a meaningful impact.
the mot enjoyable part of my job is that in SCM I dont come to work everyday to do one and the same thing but different challenges everyday.
Cons
Putting in extra hours to get by
Productive yet having an number of challanges on a daily basis
HR Admin Manager Benfits (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, GP9 June 2013
Daily quires relating to employee benefits .Our comany ahd two funds pension and provident fund as well as different medical aids that employees can belong to . Being able to managment and ensure that information on database is accurate is of most imporatnce as it has a huge impact of employees benefits. I am lucky to be working with my current team the sure know the meaning of team work and i have learnt in the years that it always pays off as it reduces a lot of audit queries in our sections knowing that we are able to work togethr to meet our monthly ste targets for the divison.

The hardest part of the job is when monthly dedcutions do not balance with the recon as that causes a set back and having to double check the work.Being unable to assist an employee to his or her satisafction can be frustrating and as in most cases these employees rely on HR to be able to give the best advice on work related issues even if it is an issue that is not an HR responsiblity. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to assist employee as well as external clients to my best abililty without fairlure and also meeting my monthly targets .Alos being able to advice employees on issue that may have a positive impact towards bettering the life , career paths as well as make informed decisions on their expenses in general.
Pros
Interact with different cultures on a daily basis
Cons
Not being always able to pleas the clients ( Internal and external clients)
challenging department
Execeutive Secretary (Current Employee) –  Kruger National Park, South Africa, Mpumalanga28 November 2012
Typical day at work, it when a i have different meeting the same day and i have to take minutes. i have learned to priorite and time management as all the minutes for those meetings are needed in two weeks time.

i work with different people that have different personalities, but i have learned to undersatnd their personalities for the sake of team work.

the hardest part of the Job. It is when you have to make urgent decisions when your superior is unavailble.

most enjoyable part of the Job is that i get to learn more about project management and the challenges invoveld in it
Pros
i get to meet and communicate with different people ( both internal and external clients)
Cons
ensure that i meet deadlines.
Pructive workplace
Senior HR Officer (Current Employee) –  Pretoria25 October 2012
On a daily basis i advice employees as wella s line Management on employee benefits, policies and procudres of the organisation.

I have acquired knowldge in understand the procures of Human Resources withing the organisation.

I am a supervisor to the HR officer which has assisted me to gain experince in managing as it allows me to have experince in advising as well as giving guidence on procedures to eb followed when performing daily duties withing the workplace.

We are able to work as a team with my co-workesr allowing positive productivety to take place due to working as a team.

The hardest part of the job is doing my best to meet deadline as it has a negetive impact if not done properly.Also try to ensure that employees are given correct and accurate advice of organisational issues at all times.

Seeing client happy when they come for advise and assistance and I ma abel to do so within a short space of time and the able to understand all teh processes that go with the help.
Pros
acknolwedgement of work well done as it keeps me motivated.
Cons
complains form both internal and external clients even when not necessary.
Motivational, productive and fun place
Pesonal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Knysna23 October 2012
My employer has taught me to work independently and be a confident decision maker. I have also learnt that one learns through showing their enthusiasm to achieve a goal irregardless that the duty is not within their job decription. Going the extra mile is the culture of the office that i work in and my co workers will assist anyone who is eager to learn. The most challenging part of my job is when I have to co-ordinate events that would involve senior management, external stakeholders and dignitaries as these need a lot of paying attention to and I do enjoy watching the end result on the day of the event and when the event has come and gone successfully.
Pros
14 days free holiday accomoation, laptop & cellphone allowance
Cons
working within strict budgets, having to be available on short notice for the park over weekends and holidays;
Organised and enjoyable work place
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Langebaan2 August 2012
Work according to schedule or prioritise or general admin duties
To work with each other as a team
To delegate work as a Manager so that the job can be done
Respect each other and work together
Working with difficult stakeholders
Getting or giving money to deserved peolpe
Pros
own lunch
Cons
8 hours
Production and fun
Admin Officer (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Mucklenuek31 July 2012
Arrange to go to the park with learners, who you never met and working with the wise man who don't understand you language and can't read or write. Need to comply with the needs of learners at always and be able to act as a parent and a sister to them, guide them always when you're out with them. Always able to work with coworkers with a smile and understandable at all times. To trust and make sure that the colleague has come to work even if you are in two different cities.The challenges that are around you're colleague need to be resolve at some point. Need to be able to do your work and your colleagues work during her/his absence.
Cons
working far away from home for a week