South African National Parks Employee Reviews

4,0
Project Manager - 01 (Former Employee) –  Graaff-Reinet, Eastern Cape3 June 2019
If a vacancy is advertised, they would normally firs look for the best suitable candidate within the orginization before employing someone from the external orginizations.
Pros
Free Holidays
Cons
Micro management
productive
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng23 May 2019
Very good work environment. good place to work at and grow. team work is great and senior management is also good. i would work there again in future.
Went from Great to Poor Company
Head (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng13 May 2019
State Owned Institutions in South Africa are supposed to be independent.
In 2002, that copany encouraged innovation and now reduced to a govt red tape organization as a result of poor leadership
Pros
Free Holidays
Cons
Poor leadership / CEO
5,0
Great place to get work experience
Conservation Intern (Current Employee) –  Northern Cape7 April 2019
SANParks offers great experience in law enforcement, administration, environmental education and maintenance in both the marine and terrestrial environment.

I work with experienced field rangers and environmental monitors. We always work in peace with my colleagues but obviously there are a few differences when it comes to work but it never escalates into a fight. We resolve issues without involving the management.

I enjoy doing research in the species of special concern. The hardest I have faced so far is doing fence maintenance on tough terrains (mountainous areas) under extremely hot/cold conditions.
Pros
Broad experience about the Karoo plants
Cons
Very isolated. The nearest town in 110km away
Flexible working environment
Creditors Reconciliation Clerk (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng23 October 2018
I work with Suppliers most of the time, so it sometimes gets to a point where you have to explain the procedures to be followed, but the supplier will just want to do things they way they want as quick as possible.
Funny Workplace and Enjoyable
Data Capturer (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng2 March 2018
The job was demanding and straining.It needed ones full attention as one had to work with numbers mostly and it was a quiet a challenging job for Data Capturing and Administration
Pros
Free Get aways for the employee and 9 people
Cons
Lacks employee orientation
4,0
Diverse work place and wilderness place
Biodiversity Manager: Biodiversity Social Projects (Current Employee) –  Phalaborwa, Limpopo18 January 2018
Learning at all time, experiencing new things and egger to learn new things as fast as possible. Know management structure and organisational culture on how things are done, mission and objective of the organisation. General Safety and surrounding. Equity policy and transformation policy, current performance and historical statistics, balance score card and performance management system.
Pros
Cons
Some time work over time or on standby
2,0
gained lot of experience in hospitality
Tele - Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  Gauteng15 November 2017
working 8hrs
working with clients and teamwork
work independently
study bursary for employees
every-time to consult before taking decision
work outing
Pros
Free accommodations
Cons
hard 8 hours
Excellent organisation
Project Administrator (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng8 August 2017
A typical day at work involves procuring of assets, tendering, HR procuring and booking of flights for committee members, budget monitoring & management.
Pros
self management and time management skills
Challenging and fun workplace
Environmental Monitor Admin (Former Employee) –  Addo Elephant National Park, Eastern Cape29 March 2017
It's undoubtedly a growth allowing work place. I have learned to be calm when working under-pressure. Meeting deadlines in time is now my daily bread.
Pros
A few Rands extra.
Cons
Over time
Salary poor
Assistant Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Addo16 March 2017
Good place to work if your interested in conservation of our natural resources.Great training opportunities and career development is excellent. Work long hours.
Pros
free hikes
Cons
very long hours
5,0
Good and productive working environment
Intern/Student (Former Employee) –  Skukuza, Mpumalanga9 February 2017
The working environment was good, everyday was a lesson, full of challenges and everyday learning. I learned a lot about conservation of natural resource and how individuals there are willing to an extra mile to protect and conserve our natural beauty. The management of SANPark is absolutely committed and willing to satisfy the needs of both its employees, communities and the environment. The was not hard or difficult because if a person loves what he/she is doing cannot find difficulty in the working environment. I enjoyed mostly being out in the field, being hands-on with the natural environment of the Kruger National Park.
3,0
A very happy and friendly place I wish to see every morning
TOURISIM INTERN (Current Employee) –  Wilderness, Western Cape13 October 2016
It is a good work place, productive with supportng body structure. Work collegues are also good they can take caare of one another. I enjoy working a lopt with clients and being at reception. As I have arrived here I learned a lot in how to balance work and your personal life.
Pros
Nature experience
Cons
Working on weekends.
5,0
Raw production based on targer
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Efp ficksburg free state4 October 2016
Working on raw production based on a target in a saw mills to make planks to contributed it to make school desk we also dry the wet planks with a kiln
Pros
Free lunches
4,0
Conducive environment but low salary
Duty Manager-Orpen Rest Camp K.N.P (Former Employee) –  Mpumalanga18 August 2016
SANParks have Conducive environment, clear policies and procedures. Management has Supported, empowered, give staff exposure. Salaries were very low .
Pros
Encourage to grow
Cons
Staff well being is the priority
Factory Financial Officer (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng15 July 2016
Gained a lot of experience especially coming with the financial degree it helped me to gain experience and learn a lot in a business world.
Pros
functions invitations
Cons
leave days not essetial
Productive work environment
Project Accountant (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng7 July 2016
Being employed as a temporary worker for 13 years without benefits, is concerning as temporary employees leave with nothing. I've obtained many skills and have had great responsibilty ensuring all revenue is received, allocated and spent according budget specifications.
Pros
Cons
No room for development and higher education
Project management
Project Manager/Mill Manager (Former Employee) –  Graskop, MP8 January 2016
Every working day was different with different challenges. There was always problems which required speedy and effective solutions. Lesson learned is to always remember to breath and tackle the problems one at a time. Management support was absolute requirement for the success of the project could not have done it without them. Co workers was a blast to work with.
Hardest part of the job was also the human factor, the employees, you can not satisfied or make every one happy because difficult and tough decision needed to be made and implemented. Enjoyable part was to see the project coming to a reality.
Pros
Had the opportunity to travel around South Africa
Cons
Stressfull long hours
3,0
High level of professionalism and specialized job
Game Capture Assistant (Current Employee) –  Skukuza, MP17 March 2014
Waking up very early in the morning, mostly between 4 and 5 AM. I have obtained valuable knowledge about the capture and handling of wild animals as well as management of animals. I have also learnt how to manage time effectively. The management is very excellent and everything is well organized. The co-workers are highly experienced and self-motivated. Everyone knows what to do without any interference of a supervisor. The job is a high risk career and danger can arise from any moment. I enjoy when the capture operations go successfully and all animals are safe. I also enjoy travelling inside Kruger National Park in search of animals during a capture operation. I can say that game capture is the best job ever in conservation.
Pros
Exposure to dangerous wild animals which are normally seen on television
Cons
Extended hours and physically demanding
2,0
One of the best organizations to work for
Regional Supply Chain Management Practitioner (Current Employee) –  FS1 October 2013
Typical day at work starts with planned work and get more complex as we deal with more requisitions of which some are emergencies that one cannot put aside but attend to immediately.
I have learned that it is so possible to operate different offices in different provinces as I work for the region with parks that are in different provinces.
I have learned to appreciate the value of IT
I have learned to cope with the hardest part of the job - being able to deliver in all the parks regardless of the pressure, being efficient even where i am not stationed but still make a meaningful impact.
the mot enjoyable part of my job is that in SCM I dont come to work everyday to do one and the same thing but different challenges everyday.
Cons
Putting in extra hours to get by