South African Reserve Bank Employee Reviews

Growth environment
Credit Risk Analyst (Former Employee) –  City of Tshwane, Gauteng27 November 2018
Credit Risk Management:
- Ensured that the banks comply with regulations that govern credit risk
- Provide credit risk assessments for locally and internationally listed banks
- Implemented in-house credit risk models
- Prepared daily, weekly and monthly credit risk reports
- Implement pre-warning signals for investments with high probability of default
- Ran and compiled the Credit/Cash Management Report and monitored all credit exposures with counterparties to ensure good governance
- Reconciled the Credit/Cash Management Report with the Open Position Reported and investigated items reflected on the Exception Reports
- Have good knowledge and understanding of BASEL II

Share Performance and Investments:
- Monitored and analysed monthly performance of share movements of all South African Reserve Bank’s investments and counterparties.
- Conducted financial analysis of SARB’s investments and researched the industry and the financial markets
- Prepared monthly and quarterly performance reports of investments
- Researched relevant news relating to share performance and other financial news of counter-parties

The work culture was highly collaborative and they managed to create a learning organisation.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with some of the bureaucratic red tape that came with the organisation

The most enjoyable part was being the given the space to research on relevant topics.
Pros
Researching on relevant topics, good leadership and great working environment
Cons
bureaucratic red tape in getting things done
4,0
Productive and very buzzy workplace
security officer (Former Employee) –  Jahannesburg Gauteng15 November 2018
First day at work was easy because we were in a group, learned a lot especially seurity, adapted with new management style.company knows how to care its employees.
Pros
Care for employees who like studies, and medical as well.
Cons
Eployees who does not want to study were lost.
4,0
Regulatory driven and therefore rigid and bureaucratic.
Divisional Head: Banking and Insurance Department (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng13 September 2018
Top management lack management skills and fear challenges. Prone to victimization on the highly qualified and experienced. Too much favours to those without necessary knowhow. Top management believe in tokenism and tend to favour those who always agree with everything. Staff disillusioned and uoung people eave sooner than expected. No transformation. Retention strategy failing because the implementation is not effective. Too much talking but fail to execute plans.
Pros
Subsidised lunches
Cons
Rigidity and lack of management skills on top management.
Productive and professional
Programme and Project Administrator (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng6 November 2018
Everyday has its challenges but nothing that can I can not manage in a professional and positive manner. Accuracy is key and meeting deadlines make you a winner. It is a very friendly, but serious company. I really enjoyed working at SARB.
Pros
Access to the gym, Laundromat and shoe repair. In-house canteen.
Cons
Formal wear (Suite & tie environment)
Professionalism
Accounts Payable Clerk (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng27 November 2018
I have learned about the most important values in the finance industry as they are part of the business and they are:
1. Integrity
2. Accountability
3. Trust and Respect
4. Open Communication
5. Excellence

I have incorporated these values in myself and intend to apply them wherever I go.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Hierarchy
4,0
Productive, dynamic and advanced work environment
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng8 May 2018
Managing the offices of the senior managers of the relevant units within the IERPD.
Performing duties related to office administration, including receipt and processing of correspondence, documents and mail.
Providing secretarial support services, including diary and contacts management, and making all arrangements to receive visitors. Maintaining the filing system.
Handling telephone calls, and making arrangements for travel and accommodation.
Typing reports, correspondence, memorandums, agendas and minutes, and attending to ad hoc projects and requests.
Liaising with appropriate people in the IERPD, other departments and external stakeholders.
Manage leave and attendance according to the (HR) Leave Policy.
Liaising with international financial organisations
Pros
Flexi hours, Free lunches, Gym, Free parking and Day care centre
Cons
Office bound
5,0
Productive, fun work place, best learning curve
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng17 January 2018
On a typical work day, the workload is manageable
I learned that team work is very important, but then once in a while one has to take ownership and be devoted
Management was very efficient and effective at SARB
When coming to workplace culture no one would want to leave
The hardest part about being a BA was attempting to elicit requirements from a busy SME
The most enjoyable task about being a BA was having to present a properly planned solution
Pros
Free lunch post a successful solution implementation
Fun place to work and broaden view on Exchange Control
Department Head (Former Employee) –  Gauteng12 December 2017
Mostly work with financial rand transactions and why at that stage the difference between normal rand and the financial rand. Management were very narrow in there outlook at not much scope for being promoted to higher levels.
Pros
Free gym, lunches and other sport activities
Cons
Not very career driven
4,0
I enjoy managing people and developing staff to equip them for their work. Red tape in the Banks is prevalent.
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng30 January 2018
Young people find it difficult at times to work for bureaucratic organization. By the same token, managers find it difficult to manage both young people aspiration and elderly people's fear of the future.
Pros
Good staff benefits and flexi-time
Cons
Rigidity
3,0
Good
DATA ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng22 February 2018
less rules,workin hours are reasonable,good environment,employee bursaries and many employees are studying maning u work wih most of educated people which is moivating
Pros
free lunch
Cons
management
Productive company
Treasury Custodian (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng18 December 2017
Good company but i have been working there for 16 years i need to try something new different from what im doing, its a very good company and the benefits are very good
Cons
Time to move just to start afresh
5,0
Job security, good employer, competitive salary packages
Senior Control Officer (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, GP8 August 2013
Job security, good employer, competitive salary packages.
Pros
free parking, meals, fringe benefits
Cons
they are working on them
Great Institution to work for
Acting Shift Control officer (Former Employee) –  East London, Eastern Cape11 August 2017
It has been a great learning experience working at the Rerserve Bank. We were offered many opportunities to improve our studies in our chosen career paths. Staff happiness was very important to the bank and there was open communication between the bank and the staff at all times.
Pros
Shift work and great salary and benefits, eg: pension, medical aid
Stimulating work environment
Associate Economist (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng23 August 2017
The South African Reserve Bank (SARB) is so far the best employer. I am required to work a total of 8.5 hours each day, out of each an hour is allocated for lunch. On a daily basis, I collect data on economic indicators, conduct research on the state of the economy and specific topics allocated to me by my senior management. I also write reports that fit into quarterly reports on economic development, specifically Gross Domestic Product as well as design graphs on research findings .
I also conduct presentations on a quarterly basis and sometimes randomly on ad-hock topics allocated to me by management. Through these exercises, my report writing, research and presentation skills have been constantly improving. I have learned a lot and gathered various skills including quantitative analysis, research and report writing.
The SARB promotes integrity, accountability, growth, professionalism and most importantly, job security. The hardest part of my job is being expected to produce a report out of nothing; with no data or supporting story-line. The most enjoyable part of it though is problem solving.
Pros
Employee study aid, free lunch, job security
Cons
Rigidity
5,0
Excellent company to work for.
Accounts Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Durban16 May 2017
Best employer I had as yet.
Many benefits given to employees, ie free gym, free meals and secure parking. Great working environment as well. Management treat you as equal.
Pros
Free gym, meals, parking. Flexible hours.
Cons
Have to wear suit in heat. Work some weekends.
Productive and Advanced workplace
Event Coordinator,clerk (Former Employee) –  Gauteng16 March 2017
I am an accomplished administrator and document manager and a junior in the Banking and finance sector. Over the past year, I have provided high-level support in a variety of industries and across multiple functional areas of the South African Reserve bank.
Pros
Many benefits
Good employer
Branch Administrator (Teller) (Current Employee) –  KwaZulu Natal19 September 2016
Nice place to work at, they care for their employees. Employee satisfaction is priority yet consistency and accuracy are key functions that contributes at making your work a pleasurable experience.
Pros
Great benefits
productive
Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng27 October 2017
Its a good company, lovely working environment, i am just looking for a room of improvement elsewhere. i really think a method to measure growth is going out there see if what you already know is valid and sustainable.
5,0
The best company i ever worked for
Telephonist (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng24 May 2017
Typical day started at 7:30 every morning and it was very busy from there on with phones ringing non stop.
I learned communication skills, patience and being alert and ready to tackle different clients requirements.
Workplace culture was incredible. It was a highly busy place but every single person was available to assist when needed.
The hardest part of the job was when clients were not able to get hold of the people they were looking for in urgent situations.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the state of the art switchboard, the IT support and friendly staff.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Non really
productive and very busy
Accounts Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng6 March 2017
Formal work place as i had expected before joining the industry, the people and management were very helpful, they taught me a lot that i know today.

Before then i didn't know simple things like operating a printer, but within a few months i could teach people who have worked there for years about a few other things. I am a fast learner and take pride in my work.

I will forever be great-full for the platform i got.
Pros
Free lunch for learners
Cons
punctuality