South African Reserve Bank Employee Reviews

5,0
Great place to work indeed
Admin assistant (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng19 March 2019
It was a great experience for me to have been deployed to do my training at the Bank. The culture, the staff and the environment was beautiful. There is room for growth within as there are multiple departments. Management is understanding and supportive, interaction with different personalities and exposure in other departments was informative and helped me to grow professionally.
Pros
Free lunches, in the presence of high class people
Cons
The working hours are flexible and suitable to all
Best Employer
Admin Officer (Former Employee) –  Pretoria14 March 2019
This must surely be the best company in South Africa to work for,the management from the CEO downward are all ivolved in the daily running of the company
5,0
I have passion for my job hence I do with with dilligence.
Security official (Former Employee) –  Gauteng20 December 2018
My work day start normally with patrols inside the building as well as outside perimeter to make sure that everything is still in good order,love my job.
Pros
Opportunities for personal development
Cons
unpredictable hours
Growth environment
Credit Risk Analyst (Former Employee) –  City of Tshwane, Gauteng27 November 2018
Credit Risk Management:
- Ensured that the banks comply with regulations that govern credit risk
- Provide credit risk assessments for locally and internationally listed banks
- Implemented in-house credit risk models
- Prepared daily, weekly and monthly credit risk reports
- Implement pre-warning signals for investments with high probability of default
- Ran and compiled the Credit/Cash Management Report and monitored all credit exposures with counterparties to ensure good governance
- Reconciled the Credit/Cash Management Report with the Open Position Reported and investigated items reflected on the Exception Reports
- Have good knowledge and understanding of BASEL II

Share Performance and Investments:
- Monitored and analysed monthly performance of share movements of all South African Reserve Bank’s investments and counterparties.
- Conducted financial analysis of SARB’s investments and researched the industry and the financial markets
- Prepared monthly and quarterly performance reports of investments
- Researched relevant news relating to share performance and other financial news of counter-parties

The work culture was highly collaborative and they managed to create a learning organisation.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with some of the bureaucratic red tape that came with the organisation

The most enjoyable part was being the given the space to research on relevant topics.
Pros
Researching on relevant topics, good leadership and great working environment
Cons
bureaucratic red tape in getting things done
Professionalism
Accounts Payable Clerk (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng27 November 2018
I have learned about the most important values in the finance industry as they are part of the business and they are:
1. Integrity
2. Accountability
3. Trust and Respect
4. Open Communication
5. Excellence

I have incorporated these values in myself and intend to apply them wherever I go.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Hierarchy
4,0
Productive and very buzzy workplace
security officer (Former Employee) –  Jahannesburg Gauteng15 November 2018
First day at work was easy because we were in a group, learned a lot especially seurity, adapted with new management style.company knows how to care its employees.
Pros
Care for employees who like studies, and medical as well.
Cons
Eployees who does not want to study were lost.
Productive and professional
Programme and Project Administrator (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng6 November 2018
Everyday has its challenges but nothing that can I can not manage in a professional and positive manner. Accuracy is key and meeting deadlines make you a winner. It is a very friendly, but serious company. I really enjoyed working at SARB.
Pros
Access to the gym, Laundromat and shoe repair. In-house canteen.
Cons
Formal wear (Suite & tie environment)
4,0
Regulatory driven and therefore rigid and bureaucratic.
Divisional Head: Banking and Insurance Department (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng13 September 2018
Top management lack management skills and fear challenges. Prone to victimization on the highly qualified and experienced. Too much favours to those without necessary knowhow. Top management believe in tokenism and tend to favour those who always agree with everything. Staff disillusioned and uoung people eave sooner than expected. No transformation. Retention strategy failing because the implementation is not effective. Too much talking but fail to execute plans.
Pros
Subsidised lunches
Cons
Rigidity and lack of management skills on top management.
4,0
Productive, dynamic and advanced work environment
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng8 May 2018
Managing the offices of the senior managers of the relevant units within the IERPD.
Performing duties related to office administration, including receipt and processing of correspondence, documents and mail.
Providing secretarial support services, including diary and contacts management, and making all arrangements to receive visitors. Maintaining the filing system.
Handling telephone calls, and making arrangements for travel and accommodation.
Typing reports, correspondence, memorandums, agendas and minutes, and attending to ad hoc projects and requests.
Liaising with appropriate people in the IERPD, other departments and external stakeholders.
Manage leave and attendance according to the (HR) Leave Policy.
Liaising with international financial organisations
Pros
Flexi hours, Free lunches, Gym, Free parking and Day care centre
Cons
Office bound
3,0
Good
DATA ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng22 February 2018
less rules,workin hours are reasonable,good environment,employee bursaries and many employees are studying maning u work wih most of educated people which is moivating
Pros
free lunch
Cons
management
4,0
I enjoy managing people and developing staff to equip them for their work. Red tape in the Banks is prevalent.
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng30 January 2018
Young people find it difficult at times to work for bureaucratic organization. By the same token, managers find it difficult to manage both young people aspiration and elderly people's fear of the future.
Pros
Good staff benefits and flexi-time
Cons
Rigidity
5,0
Productive, fun work place, best learning curve
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng17 January 2018
On a typical work day, the workload is manageable
I learned that team work is very important, but then once in a while one has to take ownership and be devoted
Management was very efficient and effective at SARB
When coming to workplace culture no one would want to leave
The hardest part about being a BA was attempting to elicit requirements from a busy SME
The most enjoyable task about being a BA was having to present a properly planned solution
Pros
Free lunch post a successful solution implementation
Productive company
Treasury Custodian (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng18 December 2017
Good company but i have been working there for 16 years i need to try something new different from what im doing, its a very good company and the benefits are very good
Cons
Time to move just to start afresh
Fun place to work and broaden view on Exchange Control
Department Head (Former Employee) –  Gauteng12 December 2017
Mostly work with financial rand transactions and why at that stage the difference between normal rand and the financial rand. Management were very narrow in there outlook at not much scope for being promoted to higher levels.
Pros
Free gym, lunches and other sport activities
Cons
Not very career driven
productive
Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng27 October 2017
Its a good company, lovely working environment, i am just looking for a room of improvement elsewhere. i really think a method to measure growth is going out there see if what you already know is valid and sustainable.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Settement Officer (Former Employee) –  City of Tshwane, Gauteng10 September 2017
The primary purpose of the Bank is to achieve and maintain price stability in the interest of balanced and sustainable economic growth in South Africa
Stimulating work environment
Associate Economist (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng23 August 2017
The South African Reserve Bank (SARB) is so far the best employer. I am required to work a total of 8.5 hours each day, out of each an hour is allocated for lunch. On a daily basis, I collect data on economic indicators, conduct research on the state of the economy and specific topics allocated to me by my senior management. I also write reports that fit into quarterly reports on economic development, specifically Gross Domestic Product as well as design graphs on research findings .
I also conduct presentations on a quarterly basis and sometimes randomly on ad-hock topics allocated to me by management. Through these exercises, my report writing, research and presentation skills have been constantly improving. I have learned a lot and gathered various skills including quantitative analysis, research and report writing.
The SARB promotes integrity, accountability, growth, professionalism and most importantly, job security. The hardest part of my job is being expected to produce a report out of nothing; with no data or supporting story-line. The most enjoyable part of it though is problem solving.
Pros
Employee study aid, free lunch, job security
Cons
Rigidity
Great Institution to work for
Acting Shift Control officer (Former Employee) –  East London, Eastern Cape11 August 2017
It has been a great learning experience working at the Rerserve Bank. We were offered many opportunities to improve our studies in our chosen career paths. Staff happiness was very important to the bank and there was open communication between the bank and the staff at all times.
Pros
Shift work and great salary and benefits, eg: pension, medical aid
Brilliant fundamental Learning Environment
Risk Specialist/Portfolio Manager/Graduate (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng11 August 2017
This was the first company I worked for, and it definitely gave me a solid foundation to get into the workforce.

It gave an opportunity to build my credentials and learn the financial markets value chain.
5,0
The best company i ever worked for
Telephonist (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng24 May 2017
Typical day started at 7:30 every morning and it was very busy from there on with phones ringing non stop.
I learned communication skills, patience and being alert and ready to tackle different clients requirements.
Workplace culture was incredible. It was a highly busy place but every single person was available to assist when needed.
The hardest part of the job was when clients were not able to get hold of the people they were looking for in urgent situations.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the state of the art switchboard, the IT support and friendly staff.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Non really