Stellenbosch University Employee Reviews

4,0
Great for full-time, horrible for part-time
Part-time Senior Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape13 April 2019
As a full-time employee, you will enjoy a great salary in one of the most beautiful towns in the world. Benefits are excellent.

However, part-time employment does not cover basic cost of living, often requires more hours than are actually paid for, and come with zero job security.

Furthermore, university structures systemically exclude part-time employees from management structures or decision making processes, so that part-time employees cannot take part in processes that influence their future work.
Pros
beautiful town, easy to get about, close to nearby attractions.
Cons
lack of benefits, lack of security, lack of respect for expertise.
Bom local pra trabalhar
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape, África do Sul7 April 2019
A universidade oferece excelentes condições para o desenvolvimento das atividades de ensino e pesquisa.
3,0
High performance environment
Technical Manager (Current Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape27 March 2019
Stellenbosch University supports the staff to remain in the university through providing inclusive benefits, remuneration and career opportunities and academic freedom.
Great community workspace
Lab Analyst (Current Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape5 March 2019
You are made to feel at home and accepted. Stellenbosch is diverse and energetic. You can walk everywhere and it is rather safe for such a busy place. The campus feels like home after a while and is catered to everyone's needs.
Pros
Easy to adjust
Cons
Finding Parking is an issue
Fantastic management practice
Olympus PSO House Committee Member (Former Employee) –  House Committee Member15 February 2019
Handling first years, seniors students, staff and organisations to create a holistic, fun-filled and valuable experience for house members was a day-to-day thought process.
Orientation week itself is a grueling time, the year following requires resilience, determination, fresh ideas and adaptability.
Things are easy to change when you can change people's minds - or offer some kindness.
3,0
University
Student (Former Employee) –  Stellenbosch, ZA11 February 2019
It is a big university with a beautiful campus. It is a good university, but lectures can be harsh and unfair. I studied law at Stellenbosch University.
Pros
beautiful city and campus
Cons
they tend to neglect their students
5,0
Inspiring environment to work in with a great bunch of people
Postgraduate student (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape22 January 2019
The people, in general, are very welcoming and willing to help with everything. Everyone wants to make a sucsess of themselves and the general work atmosphere is uplifting and inspiring. I learned a lot here and made a lot of close friends.
Great place to develop
Student Leader (Former Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape21 January 2019
I served 4 years as a Student Leader. I was exposed to many opportunities to grow, develop and nurture my leadership skills. I also was blessed to travel through Think Tank's and my studies. Stellenbosch University truly is a great place for students to develop themselves!
Pros
Great opportunity to grow and gain life experiences
Cons
Culture of the campus does not resemble that of South Africa's diversity.
Idyllic learning
Research assitant (Former Employee) –  Lab 1005b inorganic chemistry Building7 January 2019
Stellenbosch University if one of the leading institution of learning in south Africa. The university has the largest Department of Chemistry in the country. The consolidoc program offered by the university is an agglomeration of a post doctoral training and a PhD training and is a one of a kind.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
6 months program
Work
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Stellenbosch6 January 2019
Nice place to learn new technologies, new research methods, competetive payment, structured leaves, helpful colleagues, good environment, nice infrastructure.
4,0
Such a cool place to work
Extended Degree Mentor (Former Employee) –  Stellenbosch13 August 2018
The work environment is very relaxed and friendly. The atmosphere and the products you sell are inspiring but the pay is not adequate enough to sustain.
Productive and workplace
Demonstrator (Current Employee) –  Chemistry department23 July 2018
My typical day at work would include performing general administrative tasks such as updating students marks; obtaining quotes for various lab equipment and stationary needed; and working through lecturing and practical schedules. I enjoy working at this university. I have been given an amazing opportunity to learn and grow both professionally and personally. demonstrating undergraduate chemistry students, the job help us to remember the basics and principles of chemistry. The management is good. The hardest part of my job would probably be having to deal with difficult or disruptive students in the lab.The most enjoyable part of my job is being in a position where I am able to teach new first year students about basic lab techniques and prepare them for the work environment.
Pros
Free lab coats
4,0
Great work-life balance, beautiful loaction
Post-doctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape6 June 2018
The university is situated in a beautiful location between the vineyards and mountains. Colleagues are very friendly and you enjoy a good work-life balance. Support systems are in place, but you are completely in charge of driving your career.
4,0
It is productive and fun working environment
SENIOR IT TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape2 May 2018
I was but a student when I started there. I gained so much experience working there, it stretched me an enabled me to go beyond what I thought I was capable of. The work environment work fun but productive. It was really great opportunity to put my IT training into practice along with business, project management and skill development practices.
Great skills development
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape26 March 2018
Stellenbosch University offers a teaching assistant position for each faculty. It is a wonderful position to develop academic administrative skills. All employees are friendly and those with higher positions are open and willing to share information. The position has very little micromanagement and keeping to personal deadlines are key, but work freedom is refreshing
Productive and enjoyable
Invigilator, Marker and Moderator (Former Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape14 February 2018
Since I was a post-graduate student, I was able to do this job. I enjoyed the invigilation, marking and moderating very much. It can become time consuming, but management and the staff always seem to be fairly reasonable.
Flexible hours
Tutor (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape6 February 2018
I only worked as a tutor and assistant but the hours are good since you can select when you want to work and you are always paid on time. It is also not a formal environment so you can swop shifts with others if you cannot make your slot
4,0
Good
Tutor (Tutoring, Peer advice) (Former Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape19 January 2018
Job hours were fair for everyone. Job description was well put. Management was great. The balance between studies and work was Good, it just needed your time management.
4,0
Tutor medical, physiotherapy and occupational therapy students from years one to three
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape12 December 2017
Learnt a lot from tutoring the way I did. Required lot of l tours of work and students from tertiary and secondary education facilities. Interactions with different people of different professionals allowed for increased growth
Pros
Experience
Cons
Not specified times
Good learning environment
Technical Officer (Former Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape4 December 2017
It's a university, you get paid badly but get to work on projects of your own choice. There is minimal pressure and room expand your personal academic growth.
Pros
Low pressure
Cons
Low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stellenbosch University. Our community is ready to answer.

4,1