Stellenbosch University Employee Reviews

3,0
You have to be a multi tasker
Junior chemical analyst (Former Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape10 November 2019
A typical day at work is resolving administration first, followed by the preparation of samples for analysis. Throughout these tasks, you have to help students with their analyses as well which is the hardest part of the job.
Very enriching study environment
Student (Former Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape19 October 2019
I never worked at Stellenbosch University, I was only a student. Bing a student at Stellenbosch has taught me many life and work skills. Self-leadership was a very important skill I learnt during my time here. The areas of my life that developed exponentially were my people skills, work ethics, teamwork, work and personal life capacity.
Productive and non-discriminatory workplace
Student (Current Employee) –  Parow, Western Cape10 October 2019
Friendly workplace. A typical day at work is productive and fruitful. Management is ready to help and planning is required from all employees. I enjoy working with people.
5,0
Productive, challenging and fun working place
House Committee Member of Sonop Ladies' Residence (Former Employee) –  Sonop Residence2 October 2019
Being part of the 2015/2016 House Committee had various challenges related to politics and safety such as the Fees Must Fall Movement. Besides that, as a team, we learnt to manage, motivate, support and lead a residence of over a 150 women that is strong minded, driven and diverse. It was fun to be part of such a dynamic and diverse residence but it was also challenging to balance both the studies, leadership and social activities.

However, I learnt a lot about myself and the above mentioned skills and for that I am grateful. I have used these skills in both life and work and it has changed my manner of thinking and approaching any situation.
4,0
Beautiful enviroment to work in.
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Tygerberg, Western Cape30 September 2019
No benefit for contract workers, must have contract for 2 years and up to have benefits. Business Management always busy, due to function they beform.
An environment for growth
Tutor / Department of Sociology (Current Employee) –  Stellenbosch23 September 2019
Stellenbosch university provides one with the opportunity to grow and establish networks. working with the department, it was interesting to see how different the sub-department functioned as one to ensure that the students are trained and helped in ways that would see them become future thinkers and active members of the society.
Productive and fun work
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Process Engineering2 August 2019
Conduct experiments everyday, sometimes they work, sometimes they dont work and it can get very hectic at times.I have learnt how to use numerous characterization instruments. The people incharge of the analytical facilities around stellenbosch university are very good people who know how to deal wih students, they are very supporting and helpful.
1,0
Working for US
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape25 April 2019
The institution allowed for development and growth bur work progress lacked.
Management structures show minimal diversity and the work culture also needs to vast improvement.

What i enjoyed about my employment period there was the fact that i could help students whom was in need- supporting them through accurate completion of application forms.
I also enjoyed working with my immediate staff- since we worked as a team and the Manager also followed that pattern- all were treated the same- no levels.
Pros
End of year functions
Cons
No work progression
Productive learning space
Student assistant (Former Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape15 April 2019
Would prepare practicals for electrical engineering students. Make sure that they understand fundamental requirements before and after the practicals. Give feed back to the lecture using information the students are reporting so that learning environment is made better for them
Pros
Extra learning opportunity
Cons
No significant
4,0
Great for full-time, horrible for part-time
Part-time Senior Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape13 April 2019
As a full-time employee, you will enjoy a great salary in one of the most beautiful towns in the world. Benefits are excellent.

However, part-time employment does not cover basic cost of living, often requires more hours than are actually paid for, and come with zero job security.

Furthermore, university structures systemically exclude part-time employees from management structures or decision making processes, so that part-time employees cannot take part in processes that influence their future work.
Pros
beautiful town, easy to get about, close to nearby attractions.
Cons
lack of benefits, lack of security, lack of respect for expertise.
Bom local pra trabalhar
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape, África do Sul7 April 2019
A universidade oferece excelentes condições para o desenvolvimento das atividades de ensino e pesquisa.
High performance environment
Technical Manager (Current Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape27 March 2019
Stellenbosch University supports the staff to remain in the university through providing inclusive benefits, remuneration and career opportunities and academic freedom.
Great community workspace
Lab Analyst (Current Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape5 March 2019
You are made to feel at home and accepted. Stellenbosch is diverse and energetic. You can walk everywhere and it is rather safe for such a busy place. The campus feels like home after a while and is catered to everyone's needs.
Pros
Easy to adjust
Cons
Finding Parking is an issue
Fantastic management practice
Olympus PSO House Committee Member (Former Employee) –  House Committee Member15 February 2019
Handling first years, seniors students, staff and organisations to create a holistic, fun-filled and valuable experience for house members was a day-to-day thought process.
Orientation week itself is a grueling time, the year following requires resilience, determination, fresh ideas and adaptability.
Things are easy to change when you can change people's minds - or offer some kindness.
University
Student (Former Employee) –  Stellenbosch, ZA11 February 2019
It is a big university with a beautiful campus. It is a good university, but lectures can be harsh and unfair. I studied law at Stellenbosch University.
Pros
beautiful city and campus
Cons
they tend to neglect their students
5,0
Inspiring environment to work in with a great bunch of people
Postgraduate student (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape22 January 2019
The people, in general, are very welcoming and willing to help with everything. Everyone wants to make a sucsess of themselves and the general work atmosphere is uplifting and inspiring. I learned a lot here and made a lot of close friends.
Great place to develop
Student Leader (Former Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape21 January 2019
I served 4 years as a Student Leader. I was exposed to many opportunities to grow, develop and nurture my leadership skills. I also was blessed to travel through Think Tank's and my studies. Stellenbosch University truly is a great place for students to develop themselves!
Pros
Great opportunity to grow and gain life experiences
Cons
Culture of the campus does not resemble that of South Africa's diversity.
Idyllic learning
Research assitant (Former Employee) –  Lab 1005b inorganic chemistry Building7 January 2019
Stellenbosch University if one of the leading institution of learning in south Africa. The university has the largest Department of Chemistry in the country. The consolidoc program offered by the university is an agglomeration of a post doctoral training and a PhD training and is a one of a kind.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
6 months program
Work
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Stellenbosch6 January 2019
Nice place to learn new technologies, new research methods, competetive payment, structured leaves, helpful colleagues, good environment, nice infrastructure.
4,0
Such a cool place to work
Extended Degree Mentor (Former Employee) –  Stellenbosch13 August 2018
The work environment is very relaxed and friendly. The atmosphere and the products you sell are inspiring but the pay is not adequate enough to sustain.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stellenbosch University. Our community is ready to answer.

4,1