Stellenbosch University Employee Reviews in Cape Town, Western Cape

1,0
Working for US
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape25 April 2019
The institution allowed for development and growth bur work progress lacked.
Management structures show minimal diversity and the work culture also needs to vast improvement.

What i enjoyed about my employment period there was the fact that i could help students whom was in need- supporting them through accurate completion of application forms.
I also enjoyed working with my immediate staff- since we worked as a team and the Manager also followed that pattern- all were treated the same- no levels.
Pros
End of year functions
Cons
No work progression
4,0
Tutor medical, physiotherapy and occupational therapy students from years one to three
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape12 December 2017
Learnt a lot from tutoring the way I did. Required lot of l tours of work and students from tertiary and secondary education facilities. Interactions with different people of different professionals allowed for increased growth
Pros
Experience
Cons
Not specified times
productive
Maths and Science tutor (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape29 November 2017
Tutor students,
people learn differently because they are different.
management was good
the culture was ok
balancing between work and my studies
free lunch during meetings
Pros
challenge
Cons
low salary
workplace
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape9 November 2017
I have worked here for 7 years and also completed all my undergraduate and postgraduate education up until PhD. Change is necessary to broaden you knowledge as a scientist.
3,0
Challenging in all different aspects
Patrol Officer (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape14 July 2017
At first its been a tremendous challenge to adapt to the long hours spend on each shifts especially knight shifts. Time goes by and you get use to the hours. My motivation behind taking the job was the benefits and the opportunity my daughter had to study for free. Enjoyed working with the students and the idea I'm part of the team that ensures their safety on the Campus.
Pros
Medical Aid
Productive and Fun
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape25 April 2017
Great environment to be at and grow. Offers learning opportunities and exposure. A normal day comprises of multiskilling of tasks, project management, research objectives,
5,0
productive and fun work place
driver code 10 (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape11 February 2017
I was on contract and I was retrenched due to funds. I was a driver, taking participants from their addresses to their offices in Khayelitsha
working environment
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape14 September 2016
Excellent people I have worked with at this institution, I have acquired various knowledge of how the institution conducts it's research and studies. Hardest part of the job was the grade of Afrikaans used and the medical terms was overwhelming, however I managed to survive and cope within the working environment.
Pros
Health working environment
Flexible and friendly
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape6 April 2016
I learnt to manage my time, to pay attention to details of my work as it can affect the quality of my results and learnt to be a juggler because it proves me to be a more responsible person
Pros
Weekly snacks.
5,0
I feel that I learnt so much and built so many friendships that provided me with life long experience and friends.
Student (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, WC20 November 2015
A typical day at University was to attend classes, do or hand in assignments, write tests and examinations. The university taught me most of what I know today. The built on my life world knowledge and provided me with the opportunity to give back what they taught me during my practical term. I had and built extraordinary relationships with those who were in my class and those who I came to meet. It is friendships that I will treasure forever due to the fact that I learnt just as much from them as I did in class. The hardest part of studying is preparing for assignments or tests and examinations but that also made everything so much enjoyable because you knew what you were working towards.
3,0
Exciting and structured environment.
Invigilator and Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, WC28 January 2015
I seek to advance my career with a company that I can add value to and show passion for the objectives required.
Pros
Meals and refreshments and great colleagues
Cons
Little room for growth
Submitted articles for publication
Post-doctorate Fellow (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, WC29 September 2014
Working at this institution is interesting with lots of potentials for career advancement.
Productive, challenging, engaging, creative
Educational Manager (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, WC7 October 2013
Wonderful job, management is well-orchestrated. Work long hours even though the job is part time. I learnt how to deal with students in a constructive and productive manner, enabling them to understand and apply their knowledge from undergraduate programmes to daily life situations and various journal articles they read. It is an innovative job encouraging students to think outside the box, to contemplate the deeper meaning.
Co-workers are friendly and are readily available for assistance or guidance. The hardest part of the job is having to work long hours even though I am employed part time, and also dealing with difficult or demanding students. Deadlines create pressure, but are enjoyable. Management is well-executed and operates smoothly majority of the time.
Pros
Working with students, being able to be creative and innovative
Cons
Long hours, dealing with difficult and demanding students
productive and proefessional environment
Director (Current Employee) –  Cape Town28 January 2013
Creating networks and partnerships for the institute. Involved in strategic management design (including Knoweldge management). I learnt governance issues and how to set up an institute from the beginning. Very competitive environement, male dominated- this was the hard part of the job which was also less inclusive. The most enjoyable part was seeing results and meeting targets (growing partnerships and research funds fort he institute)
Pros
study opportunities
Cons
very traditional and not so inclusive environment
5,0
Interesting, challenging and productive work environment
Scientific Writing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Stellenbosch Cape Town, Western Cape14 October 2012
Writing consultancy is a challenging task as it involves dealing with students. Students and staff have different levels of understanding and pace of understanding. This is embedded in the way the view and expect you as a consultant to handle their work. Expectations together with learning speed of students makes scientific writing consultancy a challenging task.

Even though it is challenging, there are brighter and darker days at work. Working with students with anxiety and keen students make your day as a consultant. The writing consultancy team is made up of people of different backgrounds and orrientation. This makes it easy if certain concerns arises with students for instance language or field of study. Whenever you work with a student who felt that they were lost and they come out feeling that they have been helped makes a day at the writing lab. If your students contineously ask for you on follow up consultation means they believe in you. In essence, the feeling of seeing a student smiling after a consultation is the most interesting of all day.

This reverse is true when you are to handle a student who undermines your capabilities. These are students that comes with their expectations and would like you to do their work, for instance proofreading. In some cases one is tasked to consult a student who is in a higher level than them together with different fields. You will be found in answering questions like what do you know about my field. Such students are hostile and frustrating.
Pros
access to training for academic writing
Cons
ethics
5,0
Ability to multi-task ● Handling pressure and deadlines with a calm methodical approach to complete tasks in a timely manner ● Prioritising tasks and
Student Administrator (Current Employee) –  Cape Town19 September 2012
My Job consists of assisting all registrars and consultants with general tasks, the hardest part of my job would be to complete every Exam Question Paper in time to get it signed off by the Exams office. The part I enjoy most about my job is the interaction with people all the time. The group of admin staff i work with work together as a team even though we have independant duties to execute.
Pros
constant learning
Cons
heavy work load